Lobster night

1Virgo

This comes up a bit. So new change. Even in Retreat, you  get 1 fresh water lobster tail and upcharge for additional. Was told this onboard,  a few days ago

25 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

This comes up a bit. So new change. Even in Retreat, you  get 1 fresh water lobster tail and upcharge for additional. Was told this onboard,  a few days ago

lobster are salt water, not fresh. They usually serve the warm water pretend lobster for the south and not the northern cold water lobster

2 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

So, crayfish??????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

lobster are salt water, not fresh. They usually serve the warm water pretend lobster for the south and not the northern cold water lobster

well.  I m only reporting what was told to us and words used. I know lobster are salt water, but again, what I am used to

Lobsters are ten-legged crustaceans closely related to shrimp and crabs. The bottom-dwelling American lobster flourishes in cold, rocky waters off the Atlantic coast of North America. But lobsters can be found in all of the world's oceans, as well as brackish environments and even freshwater.

9 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

well.  I m only reporting what was told to us and words used. I know lobster are salt water, but again, what I am used to

Lobsters are ten-legged crustaceans closely related to shrimp and crabs. The bottom-dwelling American lobster flourishes in cold, rocky waters off the Atlantic coast of North America. But lobsters can be found in all of the world's oceans, as well as brackish environments and even freshwater.

This is like a science lesson… 🙂 I’m a New Englander and my guest experience with something other than cold salt water lobster was on a cruise and now fresh and brackish water lobsters?  Who knew…

• Like 2

Don't believe everything you are told.  No charge for us.

• Like 2

I can't comment about Retreat --- Here's how it worked in the MDR on the Silhouette March 11-21:

Each person is entitled to one lobster tail-- $19.00 each after that.

If you don't want your tail ( oops, my bad--- lobster tail ) you can assign it to anyone ( the highest bidder ) at your table at no charge.

Now, let's say you are a party of two and neither want a lobster tail, you can offer yours to a table beside you at no charge to them from the Celebrity even if they already had one. 

Your Server must place the plate on your table and you pass it over to the other table.

Your Waiter is not permitted to place the plate on their table.

( That's exactly what we did--- Our Waiter placed the plates on our table and we passed on-- oops, passed the plates on ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, keesar said:

Don't believe everything you are told.  No charge for us.

as I mentioned. new. Butler said they had just received memo. Maybe not implemented on all ships yet

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Freshwater lobsters are crayfish

Yuch! Played with crayfish in the “coolies” (open-air concrete rainwater drainage system) while in Lafayette LA during my childhood. Won’t eat them ever! (We called them crawdads).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

as I mentioned. new. Butler said they had just received memo. Maybe not implemented on all ships yet

You sure this has nothing to do with today's date?  

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Yuch! Played with crayfish in the “coolies” (open-air concrete rainwater drainage system) while in Lafayette LA during my childhood. Won’t eat them ever! (We called them crawdads).

Crawdads, crayfish, mud puppies, etc.  by any name properly prepared they are delicious. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Crawdads, crayfish, mud puppies, etc.  by any name properly prepared they are delicious. 

"Mudbugs"  - a term used when I was a child

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You sure this has nothing to do with today's date?  

Was told this  onboard last week. Not an April fool joke. I gave those up in my teens

13 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

This is like a science lesson… 🙂 I’m a New Englander and my guest experience with something other than cold salt water lobster was on a cruise and now fresh and brackish water lobsters?  Who knew…

True lobsters have claws like the ones in New England and Canada.  The Spiny or Caribbean warm water "lobsters" served on cruises do not have claws and are actually classified in the crawfish family, not the lobster family.  But would people get excited if they called it Crawfish Night?😄

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

But would people get excited if they called it Crawfish Night?😄

I would but then again I'd be disappointed if it was anything other than a large brown paper sheet piled high with crawfish.  Dig into them the same way you would peel and eat shrimp.  Don;t forget to suck the heads -- best part of a crawfish! 

• Like 2

Just a question and not trying to be funny.

What is the big deal with lobster on a cruise ship?

Regardless of the cruise line we find that the lobster in the MDR is very small, lacks any flavor and never a Maine lobster. 

And now the lines are charging extra for a second serving.

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

True lobsters have claws like the ones in New England and Canada.  The Spiny or Caribbean warm water "lobsters" served on cruises do not have claws and are actually classified in the crawfish family, not the lobster family.  But would people get excited if they called it Crawfish Night?😄

It’s not a crawfish unless you can suck the head and eat the tail. 😉

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 4:16 PM, 1Virgo said:

Lobster dinner in Luminae two weeks ago was terrible it was removed from shell with lots of spices that we didn’t care for . Waiter offered us lobster from mdr and brought her two nice sized lobsters tails at no charge but we were in an upper suite .

10 hours ago, Oxo said:

Here is the real thing! Enjoy. 

SS_20240402_210920.jpg

To funny, comparing red lobster as the real thing, a very very cheap version of the real thing.  Would never go there, I go to maine coast multiple times a year, 2 hr drive, thats the real thing red lobster not so much

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

on ASCENT in Jan.. there was no limit in BLU and they de- shelled it.  They were not huge but very tasty with plain melted butter.

I also heard,  not confirmed,  that one could order the small lobsters as an appetizer (mdr) and then select a regular menu entree. 

Some Specialty venues have their own versions on the menu..

If folks crave it..they can just go to a reputable seafood restaurant and  splurge!

17 hours ago, Oxo said:

Regardless of the cruise line we find that the lobster in the MDR is very small, lacks any flavor and never a Maine lobster. 

Happy Cruising! 

Agree especially having grown up in New England.  I get a chuckle with the reaction to the lobster roll served on board, which in my opinion is not edible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We ordered the lobster in Murano.  Same Caribbean spiny lobster (crawfish) tail.  About the size of a large shrimp.  Just not worth it even if you order two.  The lobster roll in Luminae is mostly salad with a few small pieces of meat.  Again not worth it IMO. The only true Maine lobster we have found was on Celebrity Edge (surf & turf) in the Fine Cut a few years ago.

21 hours ago, Oxo said:

Happy Cruising! 

I've always tried to understand this as well. Admittedly, I didn't grow up eating lobster and spent most of my life well away the coasts. Even during the brief time that I lived in New England I didn't get into lobster. All of which probably makes me a poor candidate to appreciate what is clearly the vast significance of lobster as a food, and as a cruise ship food in particular. And my wife and I have had waiters on cruise ships look at us flabbergasted when we say "no thank you" to the obligatory lobster offering. One of my favorite NYC restaurants has a lobster dish as an appetizer, but it's currently served with a curry-lemongrass sauce that makes it delicious. It's also very small.

I don't begrudge people who love it, I just don't get it and never will. Kind of like prime rib...

• Like 4