Ok - so - how many guests in the Haven generally?

Posted (edited)

Sailed in Haven 9 times….Some more than once on the same ship.  Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, Prima!  Sailed in Spa Haven to a 2BR Haven Suite.

Each Haven has a different layout…Epic is different than Breakaway which is different than Prima!  Some are bigger than others.  So, each holds a different amount of people.  Prima Haven is bigger than the Getaway, but it also has more Haven Cabins and holds more people!

The Haven Bar is not just the bar area, there is an entire area with couches and chairs.  The Haven Bar in the Prima is a circular bar.  The Haven Bar in the Breakaway is more like a straight bar.

In brief, they are different.  And, it’s not just a Haven Bar, but an entire Haven Bar area with

bar seats, padded chairs and couches.

I have never seen the Haven Bar area totally full, even on sold out cruises.  Generally speaking, the Haven sells out first among all the cabin types!

In short, there’s no specific answer to how many people are in the Haven.  Too many variables!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:01 PM, erisajd said:

On your average overbooked 2024 cruise - how many folks will be competing for those 8 bar stools in the Haven bar?

Put a more generalized way - how many guests are generally in the Haven on any particular cruise - [-I know I know, it differs from cruise to cruise, YMMV, may have more or fewer kids etc etc etc]  

As a Haven guest of several cruises I only remember sitting on barstools once.  Epic Sailaway.  We were in DOS and had 3 bottles in our room and a great balcony. 

Out of Haven pax you will have many demographics. Every cruise differs.  What exactly are you wondering about?

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 4:28 PM, Jordan61 said:

We were on the Bliss in the Haven last May. Sometimes the bar was crowded, sometimes not. But if we set up somewhere outside the lounge area, our favorite bar waiter Mario always found us. 🙂

I have always found that no matter how full the bar area is, if you cozy up to one of the wait staff they will always keep you in drinks.  Even in a non-Haven bar, if you frequent one waiter/waitress, they will keep you in drinks.  I've even had one waitress go to the bar manager and request a specific liquor be kept in the staff because a Haven passenger was frequenting that bar and requested it.  And it worked.  I tipped her well and often.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:42 PM, DMH15 said:

Out of Haven pax you will have many demographics. Every cruise differs.  What exactly are you wondering about?

Like my post says - I want to know how many others I'll be competing for space at the bar with - and in the Haven restaurant - hot tubs, pool area, forward observation lounge - etc etc etc. 

180 is manageable - 400 isn't. . . 

we avoid school breaks and holidays, we always get seats at the bar or in the lounge, and always get chairs by the haven pool.  we never have to wait for any of the meals, either.

alot of folks in the large suites with balconies seem to rarely leave their rooms or they have kids that want to be doing things in the larger pools/waterslides/etc.

30 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Like my post says - I want to know how many others I'll be competing for space at the bar with - and in the Haven restaurant - hot tubs, pool area, forward observation lounge - etc etc etc. 

The more the merrier. 

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

I don't know the number of Haven passengers on the Joy two weeks ago.  But from my observations:  bar stools usually full, lounge area busy, but could find a seat; indoor pool and hot tub, full mostly with kids; forward lounge, could always find a seat--but no bar service there just a wonderful automatic espresso machine and snacks most of the day.

Maybe Smaller ships- boutique size are a better fit if "180 is manageable and 400 isn't"

We will be 2 in a suite that holds 6

TO avoid crowd- do like others suggest: Sail when kids are generally in school, low season and then  multiply -- Cabins for 2, Cabins for 4, 6 etc.

If that number is over your 180, then NCL Haven is likely the wrong cruise experience for you

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

20 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Maybe Smaller ships- boutique size are a better fit if "180 is manageable and 400 isn't"

We will be 2 in a suite that holds 6

TO avoid crowd- do like others suggest: Sail when kids are generally in school, low season and then  multiply -- Cabins for 2, Cabins for 4, 6 etc.

If that number is over your 180, then NCL Haven is likely the wrong cruise experience for you

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Which of the smaller ships have dedicated Haven Bar, Haven Restaurant, etc.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm suggesting the OP find a different cruise line--something with small boutique ships under 200 pax...and skip Haven

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Jewel CLASS have small Haven areas with no specific Haven Bars or Restaurants...just a small pool/lounge area.

I don't know how many Haven specific cabins are available on the Jewel Class, but it can't be many.

To my knowledge, Spirit Class has NO Havens.

Haven started with the Epic, which has a sizable Haven area with a Bar and Restaurant (sailed it in October '23). It's quite nice since they just refurbished it.  

Probably the Breakaway/Getaway have the smallest Haven Bar and Restaurant.  Sailed in both, multiple times.  Never had an issue getting a seat in either the Lounge (where the bar is) or the Restaurant area.

The one you and I sailed, Prima, was sizable, too.  It was a circular bar.  I never had an issue getting a seat at the bar, nor the restaurant.

All of the above sailed full.

So, there really isn't a stock answer to the question "how many Haven guests will I be sailing with?"

The size of the Haven and amount of Haven Guests depends on the ship. 

Looking forward to the Haven in the Joy, which I have scheduled next in June.  That has its own Observation Lounge area.  That should be fun.

The only times in the last few years I sailed on ships that were not full, were right after the COVID start up, but both were on the Celebrity Edge and Apex, respectively.

Edited by graphicguy

41 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I'm suggesting the OP find a different cruise line--something with small boutique ships under 200 pax...and skip Haven

Yes, those are a great option.  We have been on Seabourn (ship capacity of 600 pax) which is a similar price point to Haven (Seabourn is all inclusive food and drink and no extra charge for gratuity).  Wonderful experience, except not much entertainment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, erisajd said:

Ok seems to be easy math.  

look at any NCL ship and count the Haven rooms.  Multiply by 2 adults as most, no all, 3rd and 4th guests might be teens and kids who do not sit at the bar.  this would be your max.  

of course there will be pax who might occasionally or never sit at the bar.  

Having been in the Haven on several different ships, maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I only remember one time that we had to wait a few minutes for a seat at the restaurant and there's always been a place at the Haven bar. The Haven, at least in my experience, has never felt overcrowded.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  I’ve identified the ship twice.  Counting haven cabins is not as easy as you think.  But.  the Bliss it’s about 80 or so.  

obviously no one really understood my tongue in cheek post when it comes to competing for bar stool space.  There are EIGHT seats at the bar.  10 people on board can block you from access.  

I was just trying to get a rough idea ( not exact numbers, not overbooked suites, not calculated numbers using differential equations) just a rough number.  It’s not about just the bar.  It’s about how many people will be around the Haven area.  You know a ‘what to expect.’

thank you again. 

oh, and @Fogfog  thanks. Very helpful.  Cough cough. 

Edited by erisajd

22 hours ago, erisajd said:

Thanks.  I’ve identified the ship twice.  Counting haven cabins is not as easy as you think.  But.  the Bliss it’s about 80 or so.  

obviously no one really understood my tongue in cheek post when it comes to competing for bar stool space.  There are EIGHT seats at the bar.  10 people on board can block you from access.  

I was just trying to get a rough idea ( not exact numbers, not overbooked suites, not calculated numbers using differential equations) just a rough number.  It’s not about just the bar.  It’s about how many people will be around the Haven area.  You know a ‘what to expect.’

Earlier in this thread I already commented about the bar for the Bliss last May. I will also add that the two times we used the pool and the hot tub in the courtyard, nobody else was in it or even around. There were usually a couple of people in the hot tubs on the sundeck. We only had to wait for a table in the restaurant once, and that was only for about 5 minutes, while they seated the people in line ahead of us. There were more people in the lounge and observation deck than the pool area and sundeck, but we never had trouble finding a place to sit. It never felt crowded.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 5:54 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Sometimes, more....(interlopers). 😲

You make a Great point

One has to wonder --are the interlopers aka trespassers.. also open to going into neighborhoods they don't live in? Into homes to "see" what others have/use?  Going into a neighbors yard to use their pool?

Why do folks think they can do this on a ship (don't have the ticket/contract of carriage)? 

We have been on sailings when as many as 6 trespassers at one time have been removed by butlers/security at lunch because lobster was being served at the pool grill. and they were in suite class they didn't buy 🙄

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 1:28 PM, Jordan61 said:

We were on the Bliss in the Haven last May. Sometimes the bar was crowded, sometimes not. But if we set up somewhere outside the lounge area, our favorite bar waiter Mario always found us. 🙂

Mario is amazing. A quiet soul who gets business taken care of. 

Posted (edited)

So, if Bliss has 80 Haven Cabins, let's say there are 2 guests/cabin with an extra allowance for those in suites that have more space.  160 guests minimum or let's say 250 maximum.

Bliss is a BIG ship.  I've sailed her.  Love the ship.

I can't imagine the Haven Lounge/Bar area or the Haven Restaurant totally filling up.

Not everyone is eating or drinking or hanging out at the same time in the same space.

Don't think you'll have any issues.  I have had never had any issues with finding space in any Haven I've ever sailed in.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1