The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 19th, 2024

To all the garlic lovers out there, it's really easy to grow.   Make sure you buy locally grown garlic, either at a farmers market or a roadside stand, do not use that stuff from China.  In September or October, take a head of garlic and separate it into individual cloves.  Plant each clove in your garden about 5cm (2 inches) deep and about 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6 inches) apart.  Use lots of compost to augment the soil.  Water well.   Fertilize in the spring and water as needed.  When the scapes appear (early June) cut those and eat them. Do not allow the scape to form a flower.   When the tops dry back, you can harvest them, probably in July or August.  Air dry and store in a dry place.  Each individual clove will usually produce a head of garlic.  Enjoy fresh home grown garlic year after year.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

Some alternative maps.  Since it is virtually impossible to get ports and ships on the same map I used Google Maps for Langkawi and zoomed out enough to get a rough idea of the Westerdam's location, the nearist BHB.

port1.jpg.37a9535b801f17929f55ca3c3b45e88b.jpg

global2.jpg.15aeedb2000bb4bdbeb4a4a35f0093d9.jpg

caribbean2.jpg.cd19f55fa02c55c66619da6ccdc0d720.jpg

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I am with you on the onions.  I have always been accused of having some hamburger with my onion. I love them and put them in almost everything.

When I went to visit my daughter last weekend, she told me something horrifying: she said that studies show that after an onion is cut, if it's kept even in the refrigerator, by the next day it starts to grow some bacteria.

So I checked with Dr. Google, and found out that was not true. Evidently a few years ago someone posted that, and the idea is still circulating! Surprise! Something posted online that is just nonsense. 

Moving on to garlic: my wife, Kimmie, who is from southern Thailand, cannot have enough garlic; but she is not a fan of onions. With a response to @cat shepard's post, however:

Cruicecriticpost.jpeg.9a87fdb0b05b027c5fbee1af8ee6169f.jpeg

One of these people is Kimmie (knock on wood), as it takes her approximately 7 seconds!

Thanks to @StLouisCruisersfor the fleet report, @rafinmd for all the maps, and @JazzyVfor the care list.

Edited by YourWorldWithBill
added one word
  • Like 19

@luvteachingsending comforting thoughts as you and the family say farewell to your DSIL.

@bennybeargood luck at the oncologist today.  Just wondering how much snow you received . . . it appears we brought the whole darn storm home with us.

@JazzyVyay on the approval for your surgery.  You and your surgical team will be in my prayers for a successful surgery that relieves you of the awful pain you've been enduring, and the hope that you'll finally get a full night's sleep once it's over.

@aliaschiefwhat an amazing (pardon the pun) set up for your Indian evening experience.  I see they have open barbecues on deck . . . why can't HAL do that any longer?  I remember the great cook-outs they once held, but that's all in the past, I guess.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, I just think that King stole the words and changed one

from It's all Right Ma, (I'm only Bleeding)

Darkness at the break of noon
Shadows even the silver spoon
The handmade blade, the child's balloon
Eclipses both the sun and moon
To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn that he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

Anyway, I attribute the quote to Dylan.

@JazzyVI am glad that everything is full steam ahead.  I would have crumbled into a ball with the lack of sleep, and the pain.  I have no idea how long you will be laid up, I know that your "Daily" duties are being covered during your recovery, but I want you to know (in case this weekend gets any weirder) and I dont get a chance to send it-

e78072ffadce9f9bddcb4c20ce97fa2c.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 23

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Yay! Just got word that insurance approved the procedure. Then registration called to get that done. I will hear between 2-4PM what time I'm scheduled for but was already told I have to be there 2 hours before surgery.

@bennybear Prayers all goes well at the Oncologist's office.

So glad that worked out! 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I just think that King stole the words and changed one

I agree.  Dylan wrote the song in 1964.  King wrote Shawshank Redemption in 1982.  Remember, it was Dylan who won the Noble Prize for Literature in 2016.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

@smitty34877
This is an odd suggestion, since I know that Tana's inability to sleep is caused by her inability to breathe well, but if you have a CD player, find a CD that is the sound of waves. The surf comes in, (breathe in) the surf goes out (breathe out) and somehow the stress of not breathing goes away.  It is very relaxing.  It helps me tremendously when I am ill...or these days any night or nap time.  Any way, I bet you have already tried, but thought I might mention it.  Prayers and sleep are wished on you and Tana.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Oh my this is going to be a special evening. Just setting up.

image.thumb.jpeg.0885609f5796c35ecc8ff147d3f922c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c1d1befdeca613926ba21c538bc07a4a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1c76bda3e25b85f57225be2442294cce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.851d171dad0a00a6d888df9df54df6dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a22371fad8ae7356c80b25b4a4d4ab96.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e1cf862a19276cb8152ed79c7db735dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.639630f6a748c5c8f467f250e577d738.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fde81b8a4351f9488302a77b7ab4d293.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8ce5cd701b2ede52ba56d8745cbb2e3f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f008fcefb916ae28b4b7faf31f0a9cb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.38526d85b1566845e7153c6357f72ee1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.88bc6606a5033d1ef6889846b199773b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.084ac1712e19d3ec14031c2cf0280117.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dd90122d9e58a0bf3b2e772b52dab7fe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b824f54089578db7f467eeae2b0d8fee.jpeg

Oh, your pictures remind me of the good old days on HAL when they would have a seafood buffet by the Lido Pool on longer cruises! 🥲🥲🥲🥲

• Like 11

Good afternoon!  It’s been warm the last few days. Yesterday was spent in the ER with DM. She’s been sick for a week with a bad cold and hasn’t been drinking enough fluids or eating so is weak and faint. Her BP was low upon standing so the caregiver thought it was best to have her checked out. After tests and fluids she was better and I took her home. Today she says she feels weak but better. I think she just needs a few more days and will be feeling better. 

I love couscous so today’s meal suggestion sounds great. Also, I agree with those who prefer more garlic and onions!

Have a great day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

We  are here  in Pearson Airport  - flight delayed (of curse). But we have cleared and the U.S. is letting us in LOL 😂 

Can’t catch up with everything but  I did see that poor Karen @luvteaching has A sad day 😞. My prayers for you all.

Brenda @bennybear  prayers for you today for your surgery I am hoping for the very best for you 🙏 

Vanessa @JazzyV YAY on your surgery. 

I know.have missed some but haven’t had time to read all.

Cares to all you who need them happy for all celebrating. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon!  It’s been warm the last few days. Yesterday was spent in the ER with DM. She’s been sick for a week with a bad cold and hasn’t been drinking enough fluids or eating so is weak and faint. Her BP was low upon standing so the caregiver thought it was best to have her checked out. After tests and fluids she was better and I took her home. Today she says she feels weak but better. I think she just needs a few more days and will be feeling better. 

I love couscous so today’s meal suggestion sounds great. Also, I agree with those who prefer more garlic and onions!

Have a great day!

Best wishes to your dear mam Sharon off Pauline xx and me 

Graham.

9923289_34a6a.gif

• Like 13

This morning we went to pick up some groceries and when we got home we had no internet.  Yes we had Wi-Fi but it was all messed up, no computer, no landline, TV was working on the station it was set on, but no DVR so couldn't watch recordings and couldn't change the channel or use the on screen guide.  Eventually after lunch the screen froze so no more watching the news all day.  Nothing going on that I liked to hear about over and over agnyway!  So basically I could read a little bit on Cruise Critic with cellular on the phone and cross stitch for hours.  I finally threw in the towel and took a nap downstairs in the nap room. 

All I can say is I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to everything.  I do recall lots of things going on today, especially that Vanessa's @JazzyV surgery was finally approved.  Now you can relax and prepare mentally and physically for Monday.  Vanessa, I echo everyone's hopes that this will finally take care of that relentless pain and you will be back to your old self very soon!

Roy @rafinmd glad to hear the monitor brought good news about your heart and the meds being cut in half.  

Brenda @bennybear I hope the oncologist appointment worked out the way you wanted it to.  

Karen @luvteaching thinking of you during this difficult day as well as the remainder of the family.

I'm sure there are things I've missed mentioning but I hope you know I still care.  Prayers for all!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This morning we went to pick up some groceries and when we got home we had no internet.  Yes we had Wi-Fi but it was all messed up, no computer, no landline, TV was working on the station it was set on, but no DVR so couldn't watch recordings and couldn't change the channel or use the on screen guide.

If you may have internet problems tomorrow should I start the Daily when the maps are done if you haven't posted?

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Some alternative maps.  Since it is virtually impossible to get ports and ships on the same map I used Google Maps for Langkawi and zoomed out enough to get a rough idea of the Westerdam's location, the nearist BHB.

port1.jpg.37a9535b801f17929f55ca3c3b45e88b.jpg

global2.jpg.15aeedb2000bb4bdbeb4a4a35f0093d9.jpg

caribbean2.jpg.cd19f55fa02c55c66619da6ccdc0d720.jpg

Roy

Roy, interesting what you can do with the different maps.   Thanks for all your efforts.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I’m so glad to be home in the spring. 😍

IMG_4361.thumb.jpeg.63f785c62049be20ddb96a9756a21d64.jpeg

IMG_4395.thumb.jpeg.dd3ca40e5458a0b4aa00aa8862104af2.jpeg

IMG_4396.thumb.jpeg.ad1f689a9089f5fe48a45a999fcfe14f.jpeg

IMG_4397.thumb.jpeg.f2033c65ed6961c9470d3990c4913997.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg.05008b24b551eac45479966ca9b44a58.jpeg

IMG_4398.thumb.jpeg.9b8d5019e51bf93dd30f8c8b4c38ccc0.jpeg

Beautiful flowers, Carolyn.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Have a great day!

Sharon, I hope your DM recovers quickly.

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

We  are here  in Pearson Airport  - flight delayed (of curse). But we have cleared and the U.S. is letting us in LOL 😂 

Can’t catch up with everything but  I did see that poor Karen @luvteaching has A sad day 😞. My prayers for you all.

Brenda @bennybear  prayers for you today for your surgery I am hoping for the very best for you 🙏 

Vanessa @JazzyV YAY on your surgery. 

I know.have missed some but haven’t had time to read all.

Cares to all you who need them happy for all celebrating. 

Kazu, I'm glad you made it this far.  I hope the plane is not delayed too long.  Safe travels.

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This morning we went to pick up some groceries and when we got home we had no internet.  Yes we had Wi-Fi but it was all messed up, no computer, no landline, TV was working on the station it was set on, but no DVR so couldn't watch recordings and couldn't change the channel or use the on screen guide.  Eventually after lunch the screen froze so no more watching the news all day.  Nothing going on that I liked to hear about over and over agnyway!  So basically I could read a little bit on Cruise Critic with cellular on the phone and cross stitch for hours.  I finally threw in the towel and took a nap downstairs in the nap room. 

All I can say is I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to everything.  I do recall lots of things going on today, especially that Vanessa's @JazzyV surgery was finally approved.  Now you can relax and prepare mentally and physically for Monday.  Vanessa, I echo everyone's hopes that this will finally take care of that relentless pain and you will be back to your old self very soon!

Roy @rafinmd glad to hear the monitor brought good news about your heart and the meds being cut in half.  

Brenda @bennybear I hope the oncologist appointment worked out the way you wanted it to.  

Karen @luvteaching thinking of you during this difficult day as well as the remainder of the family.

I'm sure there are things I've missed mentioning but I hope you know I still care.  Prayers for all!

Sandi, I hope your internet is fixed now.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

If you may have internet problems tomorrow should I start the Daily when the maps are done if you haven't posted?

Roy

I believe the problem must have been related to installation of fiber optic cables elsewhere in the neighborhood.  The HOA office sent out an email that our Amenity Center had no phones or internet today and theirs came back on when ours did at 4:05 pm.  We should be fine until they tear something up again, and I doubt they will be working on the digging again until daylight tomorrow.  

But I was thinking that if I do ever have problems I would call you after an hour or so of waiting in the morning.  If I don't post some morning by 6:30 a.m. though you can go ahead and post the Daily for me.  I've been posting before workout time at 5 a.m. but that time may be later when we are in Florida May 3, 4, 5, and 6.  I'm an early riser but might not get up until 6.  Let's see how it goes.  Thanks for preparing for the worst!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon Everyone, 

Thank you for all your kind thoughts today on laying DSIL to rest. The service was well done and very well-attended. There were probably 75-100 people there. 

The platters the other DSIL and I got from Safeway were wonderful! They were ready for pickup early so DSIL picked them up and I met her at the church. The neatest idea was having hummus and dips in hollowed out red and yellow peppers. Anyway huge Kudos to our local Safeway and I'll be writing a thank you to them. 

The service was about 30 minutes long then the reception was right there. The burial was at 2:00 and about 25 of us made the trek to the graveside. The weather was perfect with total blue skies, lots of sun and a nice breeze. 

Thanks for all the good wishes. @kazu Have a wonderful trip! You're right - it was "a day" as I had teary moments but I'm a tough old broad and worked through it! 

Karen

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4