Live from the Volendam - please join the Merry Widows on their cruise 😊

kazu

We had breakfast in the PG yesterday morning and it was delish.

Nothing like starting a sea day with fresh squeezed oj (which was the real thing) and a mimosa & good coffee 😉 

IMG_2705.thumb.jpeg.32184bcbb7506561c06cabd47a8b32f7.jpeg

Both of our breakfasts were yummy and well prepared.  

IMG_2704.thumb.jpeg.09e1d5a033f48d0bdafc6eeb18e2b891.jpeg.

Life is good in the PG.  We are not doing breakfast here this morning as we have lunch booked for 12:15 PM.  👍 

Missed the wine tasting yesterday as we had the Meet and Greet which conflicted so our concierge got us in today’s wine tasting.

it’s going to be a busy day - bingo at 11, lunch at 12;15, wine tasting at 2 and maybe I can catch the afternoon’s bingo?  I missed them all yesterday due to timing of the mariner’s reception and Meet and Greet. Life is rough LOL

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

How disappointing that the creme brulee was sub-par. That's always been one of their best desserts. No comment on escargot as I don't eat that. But I never ask for a small portion when they're serving rack of lamb!!! I'm glad that was good.

• Like 6

Marcus is entertaining us at the Sea View Pool

IMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.e02f1b0e9779e561b7be414b9ef0d01e.jpeg

We said it was a beautiful day.  he wrapped his coat around him and when we asked if he thought it was chilly - he replied - not chilly - it’s FREEZING.  We told him to come stand in the sun and warm up.  He’s taking great care of us 🙂 

IMG_2714.thumb.jpeg.6f35f58561077e0fedc0e5f3952ba141.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Sorry that dinner wasn't great but it looks like breakfast was a success.  Hope things continue to improve.

No worries - I’ll get it sorted. I was very surprised though.  

• Like 9

So sorry about the MDR problems Jacqui!  As Susan @durangoscots said, there was quite a turn-over in stewards before you boarded.  We had excellent stewards (and food) all through the Grand Australia -- I wonder if the chef changed too?!  Hope things get worked out soon for you. 

Loving following, thanks for bringing us along!

• Like 8

Jacqui - Sorry about the food and service in MDR at dinner. You're right - 

you are NOT there to train new waiters!!!    You're on vacation! I hope you can get a new table for dinner.  Good luck at bingo! 😊

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Jacqui - Sorry about the food and service in MDR at dinner. You're right - 

you are NOT there to train new waiters!!!    You're on vacation! I hope you can get a new table for dinner.  Good luck at bingo! 😊

+1

@kazu I am more than a teeny jelly seeing your PG breakfast pictures - especially wonderful after a poor dinner experience. Best wishes for successful Bingo. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Marcus is entertaining us at the Sea View Pool

IMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.e02f1b0e9779e561b7be414b9ef0d01e.jpeg

We said it was a beautiful day.  he wrapped his coat around him and when we asked if he thought it was chilly - he replied - not chilly - it’s FREEZING.  We told him to come stand in the sun and warm up.  He’s taking great care of us 🙂 

IMG_2714.thumb.jpeg.6f35f58561077e0fedc0e5f3952ba141.jpeg

If you get the chance please tell Marcos that Rich and Peg say hi and that we miss the world famous "Asian Cutie" and the even more famous "Philippine Sausage". Thanks.

• Like 5

What a shame that your meal last night was not excellent.  I will be ordering the same exact foods in a couple of weeks (I saw the menu on the other thread last night and made my pick. 😁)  I was looking forward to the dinner this year, as we missed the first Gala night in OC last year because we were eating in Tamarind.   I love lamb!  I had also planned to substitute the "beans" with potatoes.

As for the escargot, we had the same experience with it in Rudy's last year. I could not eat the escargot.  I all of my cruises, that had never happened.  Our water did ask why and I told him they were tasteless.

Hope the crème brûlée is good on the Rotterdam or DH will be very sad.

Have a great day!

• Like 6

Following along as we will be sailing on the Volendam May 4-11.  Will be our first time on this ship, however we have sailed on Zaandam which is similar.

We once left our coats in a hotel in Florida before a Caribbean cruise back in 2019.  Didn't realize until we were getting ready to debark the ship and knew we were heading back to cold weather and would need them.  Of course it was freezing cold back home in Canada so I bought a zip up fleece in the gift store so I would have something warm.

When we got home we phoned the hotel and they offered to ship them to us in Canada if we arranged a courier, which it turned out was very expensive.  I had just retired so we found a great deal on a last minute cruise out of FLL.  Was similar cruise to what you are on @kazu.  Florida to Montreal on the Zaandam -  all so we could go back to Florida to get our coats!!  Was a very enjoyable cruise and I still have that coat!  The joys of being retired 🙂

I hope the food improves @kazu.  Am enjoying following along with you 🙂

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

What a shame that your meal last night was not excellent.  I will be ordering the same exact foods in a couple of weeks (I saw the menu on the other thread last night and made my pick. 😁)  I was looking forward to the dinner this year, as we missed the first Gala night in OC last year because we were eating in Tamarind.   I love lamb!  I had also planned to substitute the "beans" with potatoes.

As for the escargot, we had the same experience with it in Rudy's last year. I could not eat the escargot.  I all of my cruises, that had never happened.  Our water did ask why and I told him they were tasteless.

Hope the crème brûlée is good on the Rotterdam or DH will be very sad.

Have a great day!

I don't get the combination of bean puree with lamb chops, either. I always sub potato for beans when I have the lamb in Pinnacle.

• Like 8

Jacqui - Since the MDR was only 1/4 full last night, the other waiters should 

have been helping the new waiter.  I hope you got a better table tonight. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

So sorry about the MDR problems Jacqui!  As Susan @durangoscots said, there was quite a turn-over in stewards before you boarded.  We had excellent stewards (and food) all through the Grand Australia -- I wonder if the chef changed too?!  Hope things get worked out soon for you. 

Loving following, thanks for bringing us along!

The food has been good other than the crime brûlée and escargots.  I just found that shocking as it’ one thing that HAL does well.  Last night was delicious - more later - in catch up mode.  CC wasn’t working for me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

The food has been good other than the crime brûlée and escargots.  I just found that shocking as it’ one thing that HAL does well.  Last night was delicious - more later - in catch up mode.  CC wasn’t working for me.

I just love that typo…’crime brûlée…’. EM

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

21 hours ago, POA1 said:

Tell Debbie she's doing an excellent job enforcing the food photography rule.

She is.  She’s reminded me a few times.  😉 

It was her birthday on the 22nd.  Here are her birthday flowers I got for her.

IMG_2715.thumb.jpeg.699a7cd3d506f5ee97c0554bfb940ddf.jpeg

We are going to PG tonight - birthday dinner since it’s halfway between her birthday and her DD DH.

• Like 33

13 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

Jacqui - Since the MDR was only 1/4 full last night, the other waiters should 

have been helping the new waiter.  I hope you got a better table tonight. 

He was helping the other waiters and ignoring us - the reverse.

It’s fixed - story to follow

• Like 10

19 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Following along as we will be sailing on the Volendam May 4-11.  Will be our first time on this ship, however we have sailed on Zaandam which is similar.

We once left our coats in a hotel in Florida before a Caribbean cruise back in 2019.  Didn't realize until we were getting ready to debark the ship and knew we were heading back to cold weather and would need them.  Of course it was freezing cold back home in Canada so I bought a zip up fleece in the gift store so I would have something warm.

When we got home we phoned the hotel and they offered to ship them to us in Canada if we arranged a courier, which it turned out was very expensive.  I had just retired so we found a great deal on a last minute cruise out of FLL.  Was similar cruise to what you are on @kazu.  Florida to Montreal on the Zaandam -  all so we could go back to Florida to get our coats!!  Was a very enjoyable cruise and I still have that coat!  The joys of being retired 🙂

I hope the food improves @kazu.  Am enjoying following along with you 🙂

Thanks.  I’m going to break down and get something in the gift shop.  Was hoping to see a Lido sale today but so far,no word.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kazu said:

She is.  She’s reminded me a few times.  😉 

It was her birthday on the 22nd.  Here are her birthday flowers I got for her.

IMG_2715.thumb.jpeg.699a7cd3d506f5ee97c0554bfb940ddf.jpeg

We are going to PG tonight - birthday dinner since it’s halfway between her birthday and her DD DH.

The flowers are beautiful!  What a lovely birthday gift.

• Like 7

Ok, let’s try again.  Did 5 posts, pics wouldn’t upload and none 

of the posts took unbeknownst to me. 

so this is a test with the little arrangement in th Neptune suite

IMG_2717.thumb.jpeg.36fa2cef25174b5b0515b84d40234055.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1