Park 19 on the Sun Princess

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I won't be booking or utilizing Sanctuary. 

Just like we won't be having fun on Park 19 rides either. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

I won't be going rock climbing 

29 minutes ago, antsp said:

I won't be going rock climbing 

I won’t either but I’ve got to say it’s fun to watch if you happen to be nearby. I saw this little girl of about 8 blow past a very nervous male teen like it was nothing, all the way to the top. Half our balcony faced the ocean but the other half faced the boardwalk which was great for people-watching moments like this. 

7 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Will Sanctuary guests now be provided with complimentary ear plugs?

With the Plus package, you will get up to 2 ear plugs per day. The Premium package offers unlimited ear plugs. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hope they’ve finished the dismantling by the TA or we’ll be asking for compensation. We’re in a penthouse suite and, like others have said, don’t fancy relaxing in the Sanctuary with people working overhead the whole cruise.

• Like 3

Looks like the new name for Park 19 will be "SkyDeck Sports Court & Track".

No further details that I see but I'm guessing that means it will just end up being basketball/pickleball + a track. 

https://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/news-section/more-news-category/10869-princess-announces-several-restaurant-changes-for-sun-princess

---

On 9/12/2024 at 9:48 AM, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Looks like the new name for Park 19 will be "SkyDeck Sports Court & Track".

No further details that I see but I'm guessing that means it will just end up being basketball/pickleball + a track. 

https://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/news-section/more-news-category/10869-princess-announces-several-restaurant-changes-for-sun-princess

---

It would be nice if they had beanbag toss up there too. If the track is anything like the one on the Discovery Princess, I will love it. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, vjmatty said:

And for those speculating that Deck 19 was too high and windy for a ropes course, here’s one on MSC Meraviglia also on one of the top decks. 

IMG_2928.jpeg

I don’t know if this is true or not but I had read somewhere that the wrong metal was used and it was already beginning to rust. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I don’t know if this is true or not but I had read somewhere that the wrong metal was used and it was already beginning to rust. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. 

Can’t say, I wasn’t on the Meraviglia just passing by sailing out of Nassau. 

11 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It would be nice if they had beanbag toss up there too. If the track is anything like the one on the Discovery Princess, I will love it. 

We were on in June and used the track many times. It is nice as at each end one can "observe" either the Sanctuary or the mid-ship pool deck. Music is played at a reasonable volume along the port and starboard sides of the track too. I didn't notice exercise stations like you see on the Royal class. There are slight curves as well to keep you on your toes.

Finally, one day in while in port, using my GPS-based sport tracker, I logged 24 laps which resulted in a distance around 3 statute miles making each lap 1/8 of a statute mile. I did this because there were no signs indicating how many laps make a mile. Now we know. IIRC, this track is actually shorter than the Discovery's as it's posted as seven laps for a mile.

• Like 2

Obviously with Park 29 closed off it was amazingly quiet up there walking around the deck. It had a few sun beds so would have been perfect to lounge in peace with the music playing in the background 

IMG_7978.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2024 at 12:13 AM, Geoffa30 said:

Hope they’ve finished the dismantling by the TA or we’ll be asking for compensation. We’re in a penthouse suite and, like others have said, don’t fancy relaxing in the Sanctuary with people working overhead the whole cruise.

Be careful what you wish for, Maybe they will be done and you can enjoy the pickle ball in that space, or maybe basketball. The noise from dismantling might be far less.

Edited by TRLD

Based on photos of Park 19, the manufacturer of the installment was Walltopia.  They are a very well known builder of rock walls, ropes courses, and active entertainment installations. 

Royal Caribbean used Walltopia an a recent build.  They built The Crown's Edge on the recently released Icon of the Seas, which is supposed to be similar to Park19.

https://walltopia.com/introducing-crowns-edge/

Park 19 photo below lifted from:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/photos-of-sun-princess

sunprincess_top19_closed-02553.jpg

5 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Based on photos of Park 19, the manufacturer of the installment was Walltopia.  They are a very well known builder of rock walls, ropes courses, and active entertainment installations. 

Royal Caribbean used Walltopia an a recent build.  They built The Crown's Edge on the recently released Icon of the Seas, which is supposed to be similar to Park19.

Park 19 photo below lifted from:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/photos-of-sun-princess

sunprincess_top19_closed-02553.jpg

I thought the rollglider was these folks  https://rollglider.com/

2 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I thought the rollglider was these folks  https://rollglider.com/

You are probably right.  From the article I posted, it sounds like Rollglider is a division of Walltopia.  Only speculating.  The ropes course was for sure built by Walltopia because of the logos on the beams.

• Like 1

Just now, SCX22 said:

You are probably right.  From the article I posted, it sounds like Rollglider is a division of Walltopia.  Only speculating.  The ropes course was for sure built by Walltopia because of the logos on the beams.

Either way... what a mess

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Which means the company knows how to install such things on cruise ships properly. So much for the “too windy/not meant for cruise ships” theory that’s been tossed around here. The plot thickens. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

That way they'll have some empty cabins for contractors to complete the replacement! 😉

Many are posting who are on now that they’ve started and will be an extra day in Southampton before the TA.

includes others right through 2025, as well.

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 9:27 PM, SCX22 said:

Might be that Walltopia has purchased Rollglider since they now reference rollglider on their web site. Another possibility is that have a business agreement that allows Walltopia to sell Rollerglider project.

Rollglider also has their own web site and it states that they are part of Safety Engineering which is not mentioned on Walltopia.

It certainly implies that Walltopia was the primary vendor and that it was all part of the same contract and installion.

25 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I hear that there is currently scaffolding and work on dismantling.  At least the beginning?

Could be some noise.

Hope it is all done soon!

Yes we watched from the Sanctuary as they cut away a section around lunchtime today - was a bit noisy. It's going to take a while we think!

1000012289.thumb.jpg.15a7fcb601b8be621cd8930c7a049065.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1