The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 25th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Again, I survived W-M.  The store was not very crowded, and there was very little traffic on the way back home.  Did see an interesting maneuver as I was driving through our little town.  The road is four lane with a turning lane and wide shoulders, so it's pretty wide.  There was a semi stopped on the side of the road, when all of a sudden there was a small break in traffic, and he preceded to make a U-turn.  I was going slow enough, but the car in the next lane had to hit the brakes.  I guess he was successful since I didn't hear any crashing sounds or horns as I turned into the grocery store.  

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

All 3 days are worthy of celebrating. My salon just closed, but fortunately my stylist is moving to another one in the same block. Good quote. The meal sounds good. Yes to the drink and pass on the wine. I have been to Greece, but not Santorini. A good day in history.

It's cloudy and cool here. Well, I went upstairs to sleep last night, but my sleep was less satisfactory. It was hard to scoot toward the center of the bed, and then get settled. Then I tried moving the head and foot of the bed, but that wasn't comfortable either. I finally fell asleep in my old position, but only got about 4.5 hours of sleep. I think for now the recliner is more comfortable, given the incisional discomfort. It wasn't due to leg pain or tingling, however. So back downstairs tonight. BFF is very attentive, being behind or in front of me on the stairs.

@ger_77 Happy 83rd Birthday to Maurice!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up, Sandi. Great Santorini photos.

@smitty34877 I'm sorry to hear that Tana has had more difficulties, but so glad the NH family and the teenager are there to help out. 

@aliaschief Wow is right! Great photos.

@Seasick Sailor Oliver is so cute!

@0106 Nice photos. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm a penguin fan.

@Haljo1935 So sad to hear of the loss of life at that school shooting. One shouldn't be afraid to go to school or send your children. I am sorry you had to cancel upcoming cruises, but pray your health issues resolve so that you can cruise again.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely Santorini photos.

@marshhawk Thanks for the Santorini photos. It was good to hear the news that Chuck's cancer is receding. Now to work on the stent.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you get some answers from the doctor today about the medication.

@cunnorl Congrats on the trivia win!

@Sharon in AZ I hope the doctor has some ideas to get DM feeling better when she goes back today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry you did not sleep as well in your bed.  Hopefully, you will be able to get a good night's sleep in your recliner until the incision is not painful.  I'm so happy the surgery worked, and you are pain and tingling free.  Please tell you BFF we all appreciate the good care he is giving you.

3 hours ago, NextOne said:

I've been away for a few days, so will have to catch up with all the Dailyites!

Love Santorini -- on our second visit we were lucky enough to see a wedding procession in Oia with the bride's entourage dancing & singing their way to the church. I'll check to see if I can find the pictures.

I don't agree with today's quote -- I think you have to look to the future to achieve your goals.

Here's a pic of DSis & I at her 8oth bday party last weekend.

Off to do my Meals on Wheels deliveries now. I'll check back later.

20240420_190014.jpg

Edi, thanks for the nice picture of you and your sister.

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I went to the gym at 0530 and it was so nice outside at that time.  Now it is 62F heading up to mid 70s under sunny skies, though wind is expected because a storm is passing north of us.  Another beautiful day in the desert.

IMG_7773.JPG.e28cf1d5990e59e30eb687cca29ccbb5.JPG

I don't have a regular hairstylist as my hair is very short and I no longer color it.  I didn't know about Elbe Day and I participate in "All of Us" national research program and I have some info from my DNA; it was very interesting.  I disagree with the quote, meal sounds yummy, no on the drink and wine, and I have not been to Santorini.  Cool about Waldseemüller.

ScreenShot2024-04-24at18_49_50.thumb.png.5c22b0b16bf51d9fb4aa3fd75049adb5.png

Yesterday's subbing gig was interesting.  Got there and then there was lunch, then planning period and then 1 class.  Easy but now I remember I didn't want to go back to that school.  😵‍💫  Subbing today for the art teacher at the HS for 4 hours and get paid for a full day.  👍 

ScreenShot2024-04-24at06_48_55.thumb.png.6be23e69e6da430e995a347ead47d50a.png

I am making a conscious effort to eat more fish so last night I made cod en papillote.  Served it over couscous with slice tomato.  I enjoyed it.  Tonight I will try the salmon with pearl couscous recipe from a couple of days ago.  

IMG_7771.thumb.JPG.4632418109460c680b1a7dacbeda28c6.JPG

IMG_7772.thumb.JPG.5b9b9d2b277d0e830fd0d5c683f82a84.JPG

Thoughts for those on the care list and good to hear good news on some who are having challenges.  Cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone.

Pennie, "All of Us" is the study DH is in.  At one appointment in November 2019, I asked about joining, and was told I could the next time we were there, which would have been April 2020.  I never had the opportunity to enroll.

3 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for all the lovely reports.  Thought and  prayers to all in need, and I think that includes ALL of us!

I read this thread every morning with my coffee.  I so enjoy each and every posting.

I do have a question and I know this is the correct place to find many good answers.

Those seasoned cruisers do you book directly with the cruise line or do you use a TA?

I follow many live cruise  reports and while  we are not wealthy enough to do a World Cruise we do love our cruising.  Branching out to other lines now  that we are retired and we love HAL has been an experience.

One cruise I booked via online pricing and while it all worked out, I was not pleased with the customer service I received.  I  could  never get in touch with the person to  answer my questions.

I look forward to everyone's opinions and I will value each one.

We normally book our HAL cruises with our PCC.  We have on occasion booked directly on-line or just called the regular number.  We also used a big box agency once, and since it was a special cruise, we had someone to contact who answered our questions.  We've had one great PCC and a couple of good ones.  It helps if you know which cruise you want, and if flying which flights.  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's another rainy morning here in the PNW 😉  

Good selection of days -- DH and I did our DNA a few years ago, it's interesting to have that info.  I have several local hairstylists I use, and on the Grand Australia I got my hair cut and styled 3 times (!).  I had the same gentleman all 3 times, and he did a good job.  But oh boy was I glad we had a lot of OBC!  The prices are so much higher than I pay at home.  

I would like the drink, meal and as I said yesterday, Marlborough SB is my absolute favorite.  We have been to Santorini several times, I'll try to find photos that aren't too similar to the ones already posted.

Happy Birthday Maurice!  @ger_77

Terry @smitty34877 I was sorry to hear that Tana has had a few days of increased difficulty but glad you have extra help right now.

Annie @marshhawk Yay on Chuck's cancer receding! Great news.

@Haljo1935 I was sorry to hear that you had to cancel your cruises, but your health comes first.

Vanessa @JazzyV I think it makes sense that post surgery it would be uncomfortable to sleep in your bed.  I'm glad that the recliner does the trick, and most of all, that it's incision discomfort, not the pain and tingling now. I love that your BFF is there to help you.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you get answers from the doctor today.  Here the pharmacists do a "consult" or whatever they call it.  They are the ones who explain how to take a drug and any information you need to know.  They always ask if we need the info -- (usually we don't, but for new drugs we do).

@Sharon in AZ I was very sorry to hear that your DM isn't feeling well.  Sending hugs and prayers.

@Hogladyrider We have used a PCC at HAL for years.  After 20 years we're now on our 4th PCC.  They've all been very good, some better than others but no problems.

I have an update on Amber -- She is alert, talking, joking, and her personality seems unchanged. 🙂🙂   The downside is she still can't move her left side...they did another MRI, I'm waiting to hear the results of that.  Also still trying to get her blood pressure down.  The doctors are a bit baffled, they're wondering now if it was in fact a stroke or something else.  

Today I'm meeting a friend for lunch, not much else on the agenda other than housework.

We've been to Santorini at least 3 times and have enjoyed every visit. We've rented a car and gone to wineries, a tour to Akrotiri, and just browsing the shops and lunch.   Here are the photos I shared last time.

I never get tired of this view!

ships.jpg.89a23456f4da6f871ba6565e10cde96f.jpg

Taken from the tender

1486569365_Santorinifromtender.jpg.88d72e432197f518fae6be6533861081.jpg

Yummy Greek salad

724624522_Greeksalad.jpg.36b0f3699eafe9dd231c817d98d3f113.jpg

Funicular

239564557_FunicularSantorini.jpg.3c97626080a34113b96c89e73f0dd19f.jpg

Scenes from Akrotiri

Akrotiri.jpg.c2ecde45a550e611d787f20bcb1fd45a.jpg

182330612_Akrotiri2.thumb.jpg.20030bbd4cb24b20c556663da48a680a.jpg

703849935_vasesAkrotiri.jpg.be327d21ca797ffdcab65878f675efde.jpg

In the museum

947318725_Museumfrescos.jpg.1dfbdafcaaf11921f594f04ec284cce1.jpg

A gold ibex figurine 

171773314_goldibexfigurine.jpg.42db1247dd227684609b38e702559033.jpg

Carolyn, I know what you mean about the price of a haircut on a ship.  I get just a haircut since my hair is very short.  For a time, I could talk them into giving me a man's cut at the man's cut price, but that is getting harder and harder to do.  The ship's price for a ladies cut is 3 or 3+ times what I pay on land.  I'm glad Amber is alert and her personality seems unchanged.  I'm sorry she still cannot move her left side, and I hope the doctors can figure out what is going on and that she has a full recovery.  Great pictures of Santorini.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

OK, after yesterday's Sauvignon Blanc epistle, here is another one inspired by today's New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Wine of the Day.

There used to be a neat restaurant on 6th Street in Downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) called Pacific Dining Car.  I would guess from the interior design and the menu, it was established in the 1950s.  In the 1980s when my office was located in the area Pacific Dining Car was known as the Power Breakfast restaurant.  Being just a worker bee, I never attended a Power Breakfast, but that was their reputation.

The neat thing about Pacific Dining Car was that it open 24 hours per day.  They had a pretty comprehensive menu, and you could order anything at any time.  Mrs. XBGuy and I had regular tickets for the Los Angeles Philharmonic at the time and would like to dine after attending a Saturday evening concert.   There is not a lot of nightlife in DTLA,  So, leaving the concert at about 10:00 pm, there are few restaurant choices.  Yes, Tommy's over on Rampart is also open 24 hours per day, but after listening to Radu Lupu perform a Brahms concerto, we want something a bit more sophisticated sitting in our car eating a very sloppy double chiliburger.  Pacific Dining car was a good choice.

One evening in the early 2000s after we settled into our table at Pacific Dining Car, I reviewed the wine list and ordered a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.   The young waiter scurried off, and, soon enough, returned with the wine in hand.  He allowed me to check the label, and I OKed it.  Then, he surprised the heck out of me.  He pulled out his waiter's corkscrew, opened up the blade, and started sawing the metal closure.  My eyes widened, and, I have to admit, a smirk appeared on my face.  He tried multiple times, but his blade would not cut through the metal.

I tried to help him out, "I think that is a screwcap."

He would not be denied.  He tried again, of course, to no avail.

After a few minutes, a much more experienced waiter, the kind you would expect in a 50 year-old restaurant, walked over, took the bottle, gave it a twist, handed the now opened bottle to our waiter, and walked away.

The rest of the meal was not as memorable, but I'm sure that it was quite good.

Australia and New Zealand have led the wine world in the use of screwcap closures.  California winemakers seem to only grudgingly use them  It is a bit of a shame.  They are really easy go remove.

Sadly, Pacific Dining Car did not survive COVID.

Thanks for the story about the Pacific Dining Car. I wish more wineries would use screw tops.

57 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon,

Tried to post earlier but was unable to get connected. 

I will post more later but just want to give you an update on where we are

I was able to finally get in touch with the doctor’s office today.  We have an appointment for May 23.  It was the earliest available.  Better than Oct. 17.

I was also able to speak to his nurse, who gave me her direct number for the future.  I explained how I was trying to use the portal and that my messages had delivery failures after two days.  After a week of this I was so frustrated that we ended up cancelling the trip.  She told me the portal doesn’t work.  Gee, what a surprise!

I also told her that we were not sure how to administer the meds.  She explained it all and I was satisfied with her answers.  She was very nice and helpful.  It is just too bad I couldn’’t connect with her sooner.  

Anyway, at present, DH is calm and does not need any of the meds.  Only to be administered at the lowest possible dose when needed.  So we are good to go on that.

I am feeling better about the whole thing and doing better today.  

Thank you all for your advice and support.

God Bless,

Teri

Terri, I'm glad you could talk to the nurse and are more comfortable about the medicine.  I'm also glad you are feeling better about everything.  Terri, I have read that dementia patients do better in familiar surroundings, and that might explain why an upcoming trip made Jim anxious.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning - almost afternoon, 

It's a soggy day here and that's the forecast for the next several days. It's ok for me today as I need a day to stay home and hopefully get things done. 

This morning I have a load of laundry going and have chocolate snickerdoodle cookie dough chilling in the fridge. I'll get them made up in a few hours. I've talked to my DBIL to check how he's doing after the death of his DW earlier this month. So far he's doing ok. I shared some information I had about a drug take-back day this Saturday. I have so many meds from my DD DH that I've been waiting for one of these days to get rid of them! Later I'll go through the cabinets one more time to make sure I have everything. They take both prescription and over-the-counter ones. 

Other than that nothing too exciting in this section of the Pacific Northwest. 

Karen

• Like 17

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

@JazzyV  I'm sure you know but sleeping with a pillow between your knees evens out the pressure on your back.

This is what I sometimes use for my hip and knee arthritis.

It keeps my hips in line and stops my knee's rubbing together.

Screenshot_20240425_204552.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We just got home! DH drove 2 legs!  Amazing, right!  

Sister-in-law passed this morning. May she rest in peace. It’s been an exhausting 2 weeks on top of a tough 2 months for my niece and brother.
For me and DH it’s been a long month this week!  But we’re good!  very, very good! So grateful!  

I’ll catch up later, m—

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 14

20 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Sister-in-law passed this morning. May she rest in peace. It’s been an exhausting 2 weeks on top of a tough 2 months for my niece and brother.
For me and DH it’s been a long month this week!  But we’re good!  very, very good! So grateful!  

I’ll catch up later, m—

Maureen, even when it is expected, the passing of a loved one is never easy.  Our condolences to you, your DB and niece and the rest of the family.  Glad you made it home safely, and great that two days after surgery your DH was able to help with the driving.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I’ll catch up later, m—

I'm sorry to hear your sad news.

Condolences to your family and friends.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@RMLincolnmy heartfelt sympathies to you and your DSIL's family on her passing.  May her soul now rest in eternal peace and may God's loving arms comfort those left behind.

On another matter, it's wonderful that your DH actually drove 2 legs of your journey home!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@RMLincoln Great news that your DH was able to help with the driving.  I'm sure he is elated.  My condolences on the passing of your SIL.  I hope your DB and family can heal and be sustained by their memories.  I hope your relationship with your DB strengthens.

I'm almost packed for the trip to Ohio.  I plan to be up and on the road early tomorrow as I want to get into Columbus early before traffic gets too bad.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

@RMLincoln Great news that your DH was able to help with the driving.  I'm sure he is elated.  My condolences on the passing of your SIL.  I hope your DB and family can heal and be sustained by their memories.  I hope your relationship with your DB strengthens.

I'm almost packed for the trip to Ohio.  I plan to be up and on the road early tomorrow as I want to get into Columbus early before traffic gets too bad.  

Take care and safe journey Debbie.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Debbie, safe travels tomorrow.  I hope you miss the worst of the traffic.  Enjoy your weekend visiting with friends.

Lenda

• Like 9

The medical review for the week.  My visit with my primary today was uneventful, although two blood draws in 4 days is a lot.  He does want me back in mid-May for a Pneumonia shot.

There were a couple of things from my Oncologist visit Monday.  I normally get a hormone shot every 3 months and a shot for bone density every 6 months.  I have a tooth extraction next Friday so the bone density shot was cancelled.  Even though I had radiation in January my PSA has been rising.  In January he started me on a new medicine (Erleada daily capsule) which required insurance approval so it started February 3.  Most of my lab results come back while I am in the office but the PSA takes 2 or 3 days.  My recent PSA history:

1/16/23  0.57

4/17/23 1.4

7/17/23 1.6

10/19/23 2.5

12/19/23 3.21

Week of 1/18/24 radiation

1/22/24 5.35

2/3/24 Erlida started

2/21/24 4.13

4/19/24 2.27

Very happy about the current trend.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good evening everyone.  Thanks for the for the daily updates.  I’m late today for good reason.  The photographer came this afternoon to photograph our condo as it gets listed tomorrow with open houses over the weekend. 😬 I’ll gladly celebrate hairstylists who keep us looking our best.  I like today’s quote although I had to think about it a bit.  The meal sounds very nice but I think I wouldn’t like the drink.  We were in today’s port on the Oosterdam last October, I’ll try and attach a photo of the ship from Thira.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Happy ______ to those celebrating today!

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.0766fc50a1ad7ae93f2bb934fe719fca.jpeg

Oia from Thira,

IMG_2095.thumb.jpeg.2885bd227c26be3468a21910a2b1bde1.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Maureen @RMLincoln my condolences on the loss of your DSIL.  Even when expected, all loss is hard for those left behind.

I had a nice lunch and visit with my friend, a previous co-worker.  She had some big news since I last saw her.  She's lost 45 pounds, and will be having weight loss surgery in June.  I'm very proud of her! 

In other news, DH and I decided today to watch the cruise video we bought on the Grand Australia.  Hmm...It played the first 45 minutes (almost half) only to get the message that it's a corrupt video 😞  So DH put in a call to HAL, and they will contact Volendam photo.  As he told them, we just want a good video, not our $50 returned. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

DTC says it's Hug a Plumber Day

I did not want to hug the plumber when he let water run under the kitchen sink when he replaced the faucet, but I think I may hug one when the washing machine gets fixed - I'm posting this from the laundromat while doing laundry - what timing 🫣

20240425_185841.thumb.jpg.cd27bab863afa6ae8a94675fa9b788b9.jpg

20240425_192026.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Very happy about the current trend.

Roy

🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Roy!! 👍 Good Job!! The medication is working AND IT IS COMING DOWN! Such a positive revaluation!! Have a great evening my friend! I am so happy for you!

🌺Mahalo

Denise 🙂

• Like 10