How strict is NCL About what time you have to be back aboard?

I've cruised mostly on Celebrity in the past. They usually tell passengers that they must be back on board one hour before leaving a port.  I noticed that NCL, specifically the Prima, says we must be back aboard two hours before leaving a port. 
How strict is NCL about this?  If I get back to the ship one hour before the ship is due to leave, will that be a problem for me? Of do they say that just to make sure the last minute people get back in time?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ticktock01 said:

I've cruised mostly on Celebrity in the past. They usually tell passengers that they must be back on board one hour before leaving a port.  I noticed that NCL, specifically the Prima, says we must be back aboard two hours before leaving a port. 
How strict is NCL about this?  If I get back to the ship one hour before the ship is due to leave, will that be a problem for me? Of do they say that just to make sure the last minute people get back in time?

The two hours you are referring to is only for boarding on embarkation day at the home port.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ticktock01 said:

Pretty strict.  I personally would never cut it that close.  There's a lot of chatter about people seeing the ship docked but not being allowed to board because they were late...after the "all aboard" time published on the ship.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ticktock01 said:

All aboard time will be posted at every port, but it's typically one hour prior. If you miss that you are in danger of missing the ship, especially at a tender port since they stop running at a certain point.

The 2 hour window is only for embarkation day.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ticktock01 said:

All aboard times at non tender ports of call is usually 30 minutes prior to departure. The description on line is a bit deceptive in that the 2 hours is only for initial embarkation. 

• Like 4

Like folks have said it is usually 30 minutes before departure but always check the sign at the bottom of the gangway when you leave because things do change. And if you want to know how strict they are google NCL leaves 8 people off the coast of Africa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

while they may not depart at precisely  the indicated time, why chance it. on an ncl sponsored shore excursion, they will usually wait until all tours are back. ive been on some ncl cruises, where the ship didnt sail until hrs after departure time. Unfortunately, one of the crew had died while in port, and the ship had to wait until a thorough investigation was competed. on some cruises, the captain will wait a little while longer.

on the other hand, if you're dumb enough to take the chance, one of the most entertaining things to do  on a ship, is sit on your balcony, and watch the pier runners scampering to get on board before the gangplank is raised. actually, it's not entertaining at all. it's sad to see those people lose track of time and rush to get back on. we usually get a cab in most ports, and tell the driver we need to be back at least an hour before the designated departure time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On our recent Prima cruise the all aboard time was 30 minutes before departure.  At one port there were two people missing.  All aboard time was 5:30, the captain pulled up the gangplank at 6:01.  The two missing pulled up in an uber at 6:02, initially they dejectedly started walking away when the gangplank was sent back out.  One of the pair kissed the pier.  So gnerally expect very strict adhearance especially if the distance to next port is a long way and need to cover in a short period.  Yes it was very entertaining to watch this unfold...

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

it seems almost silly to mention this, but here goes:

as you're departing the ship, don't just confirm the all aboard time... also confirm the ship's time. then look at your watch or your phone and confirm that the ship's time is the same as your watch and/or your phone. and remember, if you haven't connected to a mobile network while in port, your phone's time will - most likely - not be updated. (it won't update over wifi.) finally, remember that - under certain circumstances - the ship's time may be different than the local time.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it seems almost silly to mention this, but here goes:

as you're departing the ship, don't just confirm the all aboard time... also confirm the ship's time. then look at your watch or your phone and confirm that the ship's time is the same as your watch and/or your phone. and remember, if you haven't connected to a mobile network while in port, your phone's time will - most likely - not be updated. (it won't update over wifi.) finally, remember that - under certain circumstances - the ship's time may be different than the local time.

Not silly to mention - I always use a simple non-connected watch and clock, keep them set to ship time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

... and remember, if you haven't connected to a mobile network while in port, your phone's time will - most likely - not be updated. (it won't update over wifi.) finally, remember that - under certain circumstances - the ship's time may be different than the local time.

Glad you mentioned "most likely." I had to chuckle because on our last cruise my phone, while on airplane mode the entire time, changed a couple of times. On many, many cruises I've never had that happen but on this cruise the time flip-flopped. I couldn't use it as my alarm because I never knew if it would change in the middle of the night.

I suspect the reason is that in addition to checking the phone's date and time options to use my carrier I also had the option to set time based on the phone's location checked. The spam ads Gmail sends all changed to Spanish once we were around the ABC islands so somehow my location was known by the internet.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Not silly to mention - I always use a simple non-connected watch and clock, keep them set to ship time.

Me too.  I have a simple inexpensive Timex that I wear only on cruises.  I believe it might also discourage pickpockets to look impoverished, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

I love my Timex Indiglo!

I need to consider this for our Mediterranean cruise. My kids gifted me an Apple Watch this last Christmas. Not only am I still trying to figure the thing out, the notion of trying to insure it synch’s with the ship’s and local times is daunting! 

• Like 2

Always have to smile when this sort of question is asked...because I just wouldn't even consider taking that chance. Playing 'chicken' with the captain is a losing proposition...

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

I need to consider this for our Mediterranean cruise. My kids gifted me an Apple Watch this last Christmas. Not only am I still trying to figure the thing out, the notion of trying to insure it synch’s with the ship’s and local times is daunting! 

My favorite thing is the light up face - so useful on overnight flights and jet lagging while abroad

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

I can't tell you how many $10 watches I've bought in the cruise ship shops because I can't tell if my phone has changed to the correct time or not. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They don't want to leave passengers behind and TRY to get everyone aboard. Waiting for as long as humanly possible to pull the gangway.
It bugs me to no end when I see people leisurely stroll towards the ship after all aboard time and not even have the decency to at least walk fast! 

Like many others I would not make plans that means a small mishap will risk being late. Yes, things can happen and no matter how careful you are and how much margin you have it can turn out bad. But if you're looking at your plans and think "hmmm... looks tight..." from the start, DON'T DO IT!

• Like 3

I think we've probably confused the poor OP.

There will always be exceptions.  DO NOT count on the ship waiting for you if you're not there at the all-aboard time.  There are hundreds of vides of pier runners watching their ship button up the ship for sailing as they'er running down the pier to catch it, only to watch it sail away.

If you are planning an outing with no to little wiggle room, not taking into account possible delays about getting to the pier for all aboard, that's a huge risk.

I tend not to tempt fate and plan on Murphy's Law to enter into the picture at some point during my cruises.  I dont' want being held up for all aboard to be one of them.

Do as you wish.  But, the posted all aboard times will be listed in the Dailies as well as on a big sign as you disembark the ship at ports.  Pad those times just to be safe.

• Like 2

I don't know if this will help anyone, but in addition to the $10 waterproof Walmart wristwatch and my phone's clock, I also set an alarm on my phone, based on hours, not time.

Like if we're being let off the ship at 9 am and all aboard is 6 pm, I set an alarm to go off in 7 hours. So no matter if the clocks are not set to local or ship time, I have a backup for the exact amount of hours that we're allotted in port.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

I don't know if this will help anyone, but in addition to the $10 waterproof Walmart wristwatch and my phone's clock, I also set an alarm on my phone, based on hours, not time.

Like if we're being let off the ship at 9 am and all aboard is 6 pm, I set an alarm to go off in 7 hours. So no matter if the clocks are not set to local or ship time, I have a backup for the exact amount of hours that we're allotted in port.

What a great idea.  Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

It's very easy. If Needed you can easily Manually change the time on your iPhone. Your watch will sync to the Phone in a second