The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 5th, 2024

Today is Cartoonists Day, Chanel No. 5 Day, Childhood Stroke Awareness Day, and Cinco de Mayo

What is important in life is life, and not the result of life. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Meal Suggestion for today - Eleanor Chalstrom

(name is of a food writer and likely a mistake)
Drink of the Day - Loco Unicorn
Wine of the Day - Banfi-Rosso-di-Montalcino
Destination of the Day - Exmouth, Australia

Today in History:
1891 Music Hall (now Carnegie Hall) opens in New York City, with Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky as guest conductor of teh New York Music Society Orchestra

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-06

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 05-06

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 7:00-16:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Oosterdam

Santorini, Greece  10:00 - 21:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 05-06

Volendam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 05-06

Zaandam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 5/8

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

Good morning friends!  It is 75F in Clearwater, Florida and will be 87 later today.  It will be sunny but afternoon clouds could lead to a shower or thunderstorm.

Thanks to all who contribute here and I send prayers to all in need of them and congratulations to everyone celebrating a special event.  🙏🎂🎉🎓🥂

Today's port is Exmouth, Australia which is our fourth time seeing it here as Port of the Day.  Below are the links to previous showings.  I have not been to Exmouth before but would love to, of course.  

Have a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s post eye surgery issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with stroke, out of ICU but with issues

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Catmando with cancer recurrence, on immunotherapy, pain & jaw bone issues due to prior radiation

Atexsix (Bruno) mourning his DD DD, dealing with the business matters

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cinco de Mayo!

StLouisCruisers’ DGD Morgan’s Graduation!

Bon Voyage YourWorldWithBill!

Bon Voyage Heartgrove!

Welcome back Sailingdutchy, Vmax1700 and Overhead Fred!

Dfishh having a good response to the test injection

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with a date for TAVR surgery

Vict0riann’s DD arriving for a 2 week stay

JazzyV with pain relief after surgery, sleeping well

StLouisCruisers stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich/Kazu are cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for MISTER 67 (Enchanted Princess May 11 to May 18) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean with St. Thomas

6 days for StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam May 11 to June 😎 28d Azores, Normandy & Baltic Jewels Harboursiders + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), AncientWanderer (Westerdam Apr 27 to May 12) N. Pacific Crossing, for Heartgrove (MSC Seashore to May 12) 7d Caribbean & Bahamas, YourWorldWithBill (Nieuw Statendam to May 18) 13d Jewels of the Baltic, and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 28

Your Sunday maps:

alaska1.jpg.01fd41abc6077177a3dcaae7a38453f8.jpg

Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam are almost on top of each other.  I had not expected 2 BHB in Vancouver on the same day.

atlantic1.jpg.0e041c9b73e54d5e7b4186121463c797.jpg

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 23

Good morning from a cloudy 54°F North East England.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Roy @rafinmd for today's daily reports.

A couple of important days today.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for our friends who are unwell.

Best wishes to everyone for a nice day.

Screenshot_20240505_104143.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11

It was great to see our Rotterdam VI, now Fred Olson's Borealis, along with the present Rotterdam VII, at the port of Rotterdam yesterday. The Borealis looks good. Hope she is serving her new owners well. Checking fares, they are getting about $200 per diem for many itineraries. Maybe that includes port fees and gratuities?

20240421_134426.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

72 this AM with a high of 88 and sunny skies.

Good selection of days though we don’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Interesting quote.

Today is Greek Orthodox Easter, Christos Anesti.

What a thrilling finish at the Kentucky Derby.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning/afternoon. Our day’s of smooth seas ended last night. Wind was howling, rain and all led to a very rocky ship. Not the best night for star gazing and watching meteor showers with our NASA astronomer lecturer.

Attended a briefing this morning for our overland side trip and mini safari. Looks like fun.

I was supposed to be getting a much needed pedicure right now but that’s delayed due to podiatrist motion sickness.

Set meal dinners tonight and one selection is chautubriand and lobster.

Tomorrow night we have been invited to dine with Elizebeth our Hotel Director. More food and of course wine.

Just got a call that the spa podiatrist is feeling better. 
Have a great Sunday and thanks to all who contribute to our Daily. Bruce

• Like 31

thanks for the Sunday Daily Sandi & Rich and thanks to Roy, Vanessa Dixie & Debbie.

Got home last night and still weary.   I did remember to make my own coffee though 😉  Ivan is well and happy to see me but I don’t think he suffered any while I was away 😉 My pet sitter said she would be delighted to care for him again.  He was such a good boy.  I knew he was but I am a tad prejudiced and you always wonder how he will be with someone else 😳 

Sorry to read about Maureen’s DH’s eye issues @RMLincoln 😢 and @Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL suffering from a stroke and having issues 😔 

Cinco de Mayo is no longer a day of celebration for me - Jose’s funeral was that day.

I need groceries but the foot is pounding despite following the protocols on the entire cruise and it feels like I am fighting a cold.  So, I think I will just coddle the foot, stay in with Ivan and scrounge what food I have in the freezer.  LOL.

Have a great day everyone !!!

• Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cloudy and breezy this morning, chance for rain later today.  It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon yesterday so I worked in the gardens.  I'm stiff and sore today.

Good days to celebrate.

Good quote.

I'll wait to see about the recipe and the wine.  I hope the wine isn't expensive.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 28

Happy Cinco De Mayo

Loco Unicorn cocktail:

A beautiful pink and blue rainbow is created when Captain Morgan's LocoNut coconut liqueur is blended with two fruity ingredients to make the Loco Unicorn drink. You may think this drink is all about the look with its beautiful blue, pink, and red layers, but it tastes just as good as it looks.
Ingredients:
.25 oz. grenadine
.25 oz. blue curaçao
6 oz. coconut water
2 oz. captain Morgan Loco Nut

Directions:
In the glass filled with ice add the coconut water and Captain Morgan LocoNut, then stir until they're blended.
Drizzle the Grenadine in slowly so it falls to the bottom and sits.
Drizzle Curacao in, so it sits on the top.

1. .

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 6.31.06 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 23

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Sandi! Especially since you’re on the road. Enjoy Morgan’s graduation. Congratulate her for me. 

Roy, thank you for our maps.  Another glorious morning. Yesterday morning was really humid until the Easterlies arrived. A hint of what is to come. Still no rain. But the days have been so enjoyable. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Happy to read that you are sleeping upstairs. Hope the discomfort soon disappears. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, a visit with my Sister and a dip in the pool should keep me busy. 

IMG_2822.jpeg.f14af9f87abed2b8cc578a778b19f127.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg.2f727baa4204f482cad8b50a0a8429ad.jpeg

IMG_2800.jpeg.47e7a471d5d0a6a2bfcc96d4a85697cd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers.

Terry, Tana, Annie, Chuck, Richard, Maureen, Amber & family keeping you all in my prayers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. Go Morgan!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Banfi-Rosso-di-Montalcino

Definitely one Italian I would love to try. Lots of consumer fans. Easy to find & reasonably priced. Online prices start at $19.99.

Winemaker’s notes

VARIETAL
Sangiovese
DESCRIPTION
One of the classics of Banfi Montalcino production.
The mild winter temperatures and low rainfall allowed the vines to begin the growing cycle within the standard timeframe. During the night of April 8, some vineyards were hit by a late frost, which delayed the phenological phases of the vines. However, thanks to mild temperatures and sunny days in the spring, the vines were able to regain their growth and production balance, reaching excellent ripening during the following months. The harvest began slightly later than usual, but the continuous ventilation and good temperature fluctuations in August and September allowed the grapes to develop excellent acidity with very interesting aromatic profiles.
The result is a complex wine characterized by a bright ruby red colour. On the nose, aromas of blackberries and raspberry meet light notes of coffee and tobacco. In the mouth the structure is wide, harmonious and well balanced by a marked acidity. Excellent persistence on the palate.
Ideal pairing with game and medium-aged cheeses. The remarkable structure allows a good aging.
TECHNICAL NOTES
Soil: hill area of the estate under vine, with low to moderate incline. The soils develop on different types of sediments, from the clay sands of the marine Pliocene, deep soils with abundant and calcareous stones, to the gray-blue clays which are moderately deep mineral soils that tend to retain humidity.
Trellising System: spurred cordon – Banfi aberello Vine Density: 4200 - 5500 vines/ha.
Hectar Yield: 70-75 q/ha.
Fermentation: in temperature-controlled (20-30°C) stainless-steel tanks
Aging: in French oak casks (90-60 hl.) and in French oak barrique (350 l.) for 12 months
Alcohol: 15,5%
Suggested serving temperature : 16-18°C

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Cinco De Mayo

Loco Unicorn cocktail:

A beautiful pink and blue rainbow is created when Captain Morgan's LocoNut coconut liqueur is blended with two fruity ingredients to make the Loco Unicorn drink. You may think this drink is all about the look with its beautiful blue, pink, and red layers, but it tastes just as good as it looks.
Ingredients:
.25 oz. grenadine
.25 oz. blue curaçao
6 oz. coconut water
2 oz. captain Morgan Loco Nut

Directions:
In the glass filled with ice add the coconut water and Captain Morgan LocoNut, then stir until they're blended.
Drizzle the Grenadine in slowly so it falls to the bottom and sits.
Drizzle Curacao in, so it sits on the top.

1. .

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 6.31.06 AM.png

Great name for this drink. Drink too many and you go loco and start seeing unicorns!

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

Good morning, everyone!

We are going to have lots of sunshine and temperatures in the low 70s today.  Sounds good to me!  Slept well last night, but I sure was stiff this morning.  I can tell all of the numbing agent they injected has worn off.  I have an appointment with Pain and Spine people on Tuesday and hopefully they will order the full nerve ablation procedure.  

Today we are going over to Mt. Pleasant to have dinner with some friends from Ohio.  I had the daughter in class back in Ohio and she is now living in Ohio and working at Central Michigan University.  Her parents come up for extended periods to help with the kids while Stacey is working.  

Welcome back @kazu Jacqui.  I'm sure Ivan was super excited to see you.  Bon Voyage to @Heartgrove and @YourWorldWithBill@StLouisCruisers Congratulations to Morgan.  I'm sure the whole family is excited for her.  

Today's meal is not Eleanor.  Since it is Cinco de Mayo, let's have fajitas!  We'll start off with some easy chicken fajitas.  You can use the low carb tortillas and Greek yogurt to keep it really healthy.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/easy-chicken-fajitas/

fajitas1.thumb.jpg.3c62124699bb84f485322d6ec839aa1e.jpg

This is another chicken fajita recipe.  I like the addition of the lime and avocado.  https://natashaskitchen.com/chicken-fajitas-recipe/

fajitas2.thumb.jpg.42de2de6bea50d209cafba40dc476ccb.jpg

And here we have a recipe for beef fajitas from Ree Drummond.  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11595/beef-fajitas/

fajitas3.thumb.jpg.59114f5219d85750a42d5b7e4ead6b18.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Posted (edited)

Interesting collection of days:  definitely support awareness of childhood strokes - that is just something no child should have to endure. When he was a toddler, my grand nephew had a series of strokes as a result of being pinned under a car; he's a trooper, having survived both, but has lifetime complications. 

Pass on the drink (although it is pretty), happily try the wine, not been to the port, no idea about the meal 🤷‍♀️

Hugs @kazu.

Congratulations @StLouisCruisers to Morgan!🍾🎓

The Stars🏒 must win tonight - extra support appreciated. 😊 

Currently 64° headed to 81° with rain again tomorrow. 

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240505_063855.thumb.jpg.c07c3ff0629d96dadb99c997fb2db86f.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4