Cruise out of Manhattan

Posted (edited)

LaGuardia is closest, followed by Newark. New York traffic is similar to but somehow much worse than Miami.

It really depends on how you're getting to the port as to what's going to be best, IMO. LaGuardia has a free special bus service that connects to the metro system which is super convenient in my experience. If you're driving, it's all going to be a mess so pick whichever NYC area airport is cheapest for you (LGA, EWR, JFK).

Edited by notscb

Hola!  As a New Yorker, I'd advise Laguardia.  They did a really good job renovating recently and it's a far nicer airport than it used to be.  I'd suggest getting a yellow cab at the airport if you have any kind of luggage (yellow cab will be cheaper than Uber or Lyft).

Public transit is $2.90 per person if you opt for that, and you can use apple pay or any chip card.  Take the M60 bus to 106th Street and Broadway, get on the 1 subway southbound and exit at 50th Street.  The terminal is about a six (long) block walk from there.  Hence why I advise a cab from the airport.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strongly recommend flying in the day before.  The airport is less than 10 miles fro the West Side where the ship port is, but depending of day of week the traffic can be horrendous.  Echo the comments on how much they have improved LGA.

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

One more thing, best sail away in the states.  Spectacular sites and photo ops.

Yes, the Statue of Liberty. 😊

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, the Statue of Liberty. 😊

Statue of Liberty, New York City Skyline, Ellis Island, VNB, Freedom Tower. Simply the best in the states.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Wow, thanks so much everyone…we would be flying in from Toronto…my sister has a bad back so I need to make it as easy as possible for her…so I guess “cab” would be our best option…the cruise starts on a “MONDAY” if that helps?

Edited by abby1257

I recently flew into JFK Airport for a cruise on the Venezia.  We had flown in several days early in order to be tourists in NYC.  

From JFK to our mid-town/Times Square hotel, I used  "Airports Taxi Transfer."  $100 for the ride.   The ride took about an hour at 6:30 p.m.  

From our Times Square hotel to the pier was only about 10 blocks, but traffic was insane.  We used a car service, and we (and or luggage) were dropped off somewhere convenient.  

6 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Wow, thanks so much everyone…we would be flying in from Toronto…my sister has a bad back so I need to make it as easy as possible for her…so I guess “cab” would be our best option…the cruise starts on a “MONDAY” if that helps?

are you flying day of?

1 hour ago, abby1257 said:

I was hoping to, not a very long flight, I think 1.5 hrs

Given your plan, perfectly reasonable.

Follow these rules:

1) VERY first flight of the day. I don't care if it's wheels up at 6a.

2) Non stop, if possible. Direct at very minimum.

3) Cab to the pier from either LGA or EWR. You may also want to look into whether Carnival will be running a bus. That puts New York traffic responsibility squarely on their shoulders.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

EWR (Newark) is an easier trip to the pier. 

Currently LGA is 44 minutes, Newark is 54 minutes, jfk is 64 minutes. I live in NJ, I’d stick with LGA.

17 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Currently LGA is 44 minutes, Newark is 54 minutes, jfk is 64 minutes. I live in NJ, I’d stick with LGA.

If you want to fly into LGA despite living in New Jersey who am I to stop you ?  
also per Google maps the trip from terminal C at EWR to the port terminal at 711 12th Ave (15.8 miles) typically takes 28-50 minutes depending on traffic. This is exactly the same typical time from Terminal C at LGA (16.2 miles) so personally I’d choose the flight that is cheapest and suits your schedule and not base the decision on the arrival airport. 

And right now it’s an hour and 7 minutes. It’s important to keep timing in the decision, getting into manhattan from NJ is a bridge of tunnel. Many people in my area work in NYC, it’s a least an hour commute, port authority is 12 miles away. NYC traffic is my local traffic. Ride share will be more from NJ.

Obviously since you have made the decision to roll the dice and fly in the morning of embarkation, your decision as to whether to fly into LGA or NWK should be determined by cost of flight and arrival time of flight.  Obviously choose a non stop flight and depending upon the cost and arrival times for each of the two airports, it should hopefully be an easy decision for you.

11 hours ago, abby1257 said:

I was hoping to, not a very long flight, I think 1.5 hrs

The issue is not how long your flight is but when it would arrive.  Add potential delays, potential traffic issues in and around LGA, and Manhattan, etc.  the more variables the more things to worry about.  What airline?

Since you plan on flying in the day of the cruise you can book the Carnival shuttle from any of the 3 airports.  We just did that in March even though we flew in the day before and booked a hotel by LGA.  We just went back to the airport in the morning to catch the bus. 

We cruised the Venezia in October and flew in two days before, and picked JFK as it was the least expensive with flights that fit us best. We stayed at the comfort inn which was about a two minute walk to the ship. We were able to walk to Central Park and Times Square the day before and did a harbor lights cruise. We had never been to NYC before so did the touristy stuff. We took the carnival shuttle back got the airport after the cruise. It was a bit of a 💩 show at port as that poor bus driver was totally overwhelmed and had no one to help him, but we made it back just fine. We had a later flight. 

As someone who used to live 7 minutes from LGA I want to caution you to using it for a same day arrival. While LGA has really become a lovely airport over the past few years it is the only local airport with only two runways, EWR has 3 and JFK has 4, so if there is a weather delay it can get BAD at LGA.

As for cabs there is a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan. LGA is metered, and cabs at EWR don't have to take you out of NJ because it can be hard for them to get a fare back across the river so its ideal to take public transport or arrange a car service.

Anecdotally, friends who live on the west side of Manhattan always use EWR because its the easiest from the part of the island. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, x lindsay x said:

cabs at EWR don't have to take you out of NJ because it can be hard for them to get a fare back across the river so its ideal to take public transport or arrange a car service.

Uber and Lyft are readily available at EWR. 

If you want to save $$$, I think the cheapest option is the CoachUSA Newark Airport Express Bus to midtown. The closest stop is at Port Authority Bus terminal at 41st Street and 8th Avenue, which is a short cab ride to the pier. The bus costs $17 one way. $30 RT.

It's convenient and cheap for one person, but if I were traveling with another person, I'd take Uber.  It's easy and direct. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1