Radiance and hiding ducks?

I know the pros and cons of the whole rubber duck hunt activity but our grandkids really want to do this. I heard Disney cruises no longer allow them. Is this still allowed on Radiance?

A couple thoughts: 

- The duck thing isn't nearly as big as you might think from reading these boards -- you won't be tripping over ducks on the pool deck.  I've literally seen a duck hidden on the ship. 

- If your grandchildren are really into the idea, you might want to bring a few and, um, make it happen.  We're going to do that for our grandson in the fall, but he'll only be three and is still easy to distract /fool.  

- How could Disney forbid this practice?  Are they going to search luggage for ducks?  Grab anyone they see with a duck and take them before the captain for a good lecture?  

• Like 1

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

- How could Disney forbid this practice?  Are they going to search luggage for ducks?  Grab anyone they see with a duck and take them before the captain for a good lecture?  

I doubt Disney would do this, but they could kick someone off the ship for not complying with ship rules. They would only have to do this one time and it would likely eliminate anyone trying to hide ducks again. Now that I think about it, even though I am still a fan of Disney, nothing they do surprises me anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I think forbid is not exactly accurate - ducks are not a forbidden item in luggage. But if ducks aren't allowed in their public areas then duck hunting is not going to happen. I realize ducks can't be placed in pools , hot tubs or shops. As reported on a different cruise blog, Disney has stated: “However, it’s important to note that pool toys, including rubber ducks, are not permitted to be used in the pools. Additionally, we kindly request that guests are not allowed to hide items such as rubber ducks in public areas or staterooms.”

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- If your grandchildren are really into the idea, you might want to bring a few and, um, make it happen.  We're going to do that for our grandson in the fall, but he'll only be three and is still easy to distract /fool.    

My grandkids won't be fooled because they are ages 5-11. The older ones aren't sure they want to participate but the two youngest ones do. So we are brining our own ducks for them to hide and if they find other ducks they will be happy (and parents won't as it's just more plastic junk for the kids to have lol). 

2 hours ago, surgie said:

My grandkids won't be fooled because they are ages 5-11. The older ones aren't sure they want to participate but the two youngest ones do. So we are brining our own ducks for them to hide and if they find other ducks they will be happy (and parents won't as it's just more plastic junk for the kids to have lol). 

If you haven't, you could also consider checking out a Roll Call for the sailing and see if anyone else wants to participate (or offer to meet up and hand off some ducks to someone else to "hide" for your grandkids to find).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I doubt Disney would do this, but they could kick someone off the ship for not complying with ship rules. They would only have to do this one time and it would likely eliminate anyone trying to hide ducks again. Now that I think about it, even though I am still a fan of Disney, nothing they do surprises me anymore. 

Throw someone off the ship for possession of small rubber ducks?  Seriously?   

3 hours ago, surgie said:

I think forbid is not exactly accurate - ducks are not a forbidden item in luggage. But if ducks aren't allowed in their public areas then duck hunting is not going to happen. I realize ducks can't be placed in pools , hot tubs or shops. As reported on a different cruise blog, Disney has stated: “However, it’s important to note that pool toys, including rubber ducks, are not permitted to be used in the pools. Additionally, we kindly request that guests are not allowed to hide items such as rubber ducks in public areas or staterooms.”

A rule that's unenforceable isn't really a rule.  At most, a crew member who happened by while "the crime" of duck hiding was going on could confiscate the ducks.  

2 hours ago, surgie said:

Yeah, I can fool my 3-year old grandson.  With older grands, you have no chance.  

23 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

If you haven't, you could also consider checking out a Roll Call for the sailing and see if anyone else wants to participate (or offer to meet up and hand off some ducks to someone else to "hide" for your grandkids to find).

Alternately, just speak to someone at the pool or in the buffet.  If you handed me a couple ducks and asked me to hide them for your grandchildren, I'd love to help you!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A rule that's unenforceable isn't really a rule. 

Really? If it is a stated rule it should be respected as such.  Just because it may be difficult to enforce doesn't mean it can be ignored.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Really? If it is a stated rule it should be respected as such.  Just because it may be difficult to enforce doesn't mean it can be ignored.

My ducks don’t care to bring a suit or tux, can they just wear a nice shirt?  (No pants, obviously!). 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yes you can take/hide them on Radiance, but compared to much more kid friendly ships like Icon, Oasis, Quantum, Freedom and Voyager Class ships that have tons for kids such as slides, bumper cars, more pools, a large promenade deck, boardwalk, central park etc., you might not see nearly as many.  Also if the itinerary tends to be less kids such as Alaska and long sailings, you won't find as many.  

Edited by rockmom

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Wasn't it your secret I let out?  Sorry.

Nope. I'd own it if I did that. 😂 These duck threads quack me up. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

wasn't there a poster who threw them in the trash?  

On the Odyssey TA this wasn't exactly the trash, but this sculpture is around 15' off the floor in the aft elevator.  A lot of them disappeared about 2/3 through the cruise - not sure how they got them down.

20240423_193230.jpg

20240423_193327.jpg

Edited by LeeW
more

3 hours ago, LeeW said:

On the Odyssey TA this wasn't exactly the trash, but this sculpture is around 15' off the floor in the aft elevator.  A lot of them disappeared about 2/3 through the cruise - not sure how they got them down.

Your pictures prove some people or real jerks!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't believe Disney has published that as official policy 

It was confirmed on their PlanDisney site in December 2023. It looks like you’re trying to get all your “ducks in a row” before heading to the port – a fantastic plan! Disney Cruise Line’s policy is that Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas. I know that hunting for ducks has gained in popularity among cruisers, but the small ducks are a safety hazard for younger Guests and have environmental impacts.

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In theory, yes.  

In reality, it's right up there with smuggled liquor and reserved seats.  Some people will be unaware of the rule, others will just ignore it.  

49 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

In theory, yes.  

In reality, it's right up there with smuggled liquor and reserved seats.  Some people will be unaware of the rule, others will just ignore it.  

I guess if rules are not at least attempted to be enforced they will be tested by those who don't respect them, so part of the failure is with those who don't enforce them.  That still doesn't make it right to ignore them.  But to each their own in choosing which to follow and which to ignore.

14 hours ago, surgie said:

I know the pros and cons of the whole rubber duck hunt activity but our grandkids really want to do this. I heard Disney cruises no longer allow them. Is this still allowed on Radiance?

Just do it and have fun. Making memories with your grandchildren is whats important.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

A couple thoughts: 

- The duck thing isn't nearly as big as you might think from reading these boards -- you won't be tripping over ducks on the pool deck.  I've literally seen a duck hidden on the ship. 

Though depends on the Cruise, 6 month's ago was hundreds of them on Radiance then last month on Radiance I personally saw 2 dozen even though wasnt looking

• Like 1