you can't upgrade after final payment?

Hi 

I usually book ocean view guarantee or veranda guarantee.

I have a veranda now and I wanted to upgrade to Aquaclass since it is only $200 more in total and i was told that I can"t do it because my original room is a guarantee and I already did my final paymnt and sailing is in 2 months.

I am to the point to simply book last time

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

I have a veranda now and I wanted to upgrade to Aquaclass since it is only $200 more in total and i was told that I can"t do it because my original room is a guarantee and I already did my final paymnt and sailing is in 2 months.

I have sometimes called to upgrade after final payment, they never said no however they wouldn’t honor the current advertised price of the cabin I wanted, it was always more then the advertised price and the advice they gave was to bid for an upgrade.

Posted (edited)

I don't think the fact that it is a GTY booking is a factor. Often any attractive fare post final payment has the caveat of being for new bookings only. For existing bookings if post final payment upgrades are made, as mentioned by @LB_NJ the fare differential may be based on the last posted price pre-final payment which likely will not be as attractive.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I recently upgraded from a concierge to a suite after final payment. no problem. I was using a travel agent. Not sure if that makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tudy said:

I recently upgraded from a concierge to a suite after final payment. no problem. I was using a travel agent. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Using a TA IMO makes the process easier, but should not be a factor in whether or not you will be able to upgrade.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

Hi 

Is it 200 more than the original guarantee price, or 200 more than the cost of the cabin type you have been allocated? that makes a huge difference to the question posed!

• Like 2

I recently upgraded from a Deluxe Inside to an Aqua Class after final Payment. It wasn't an issue and I got the price I expected. The agent did say he had to get his supervisors "permission" or needed his supervisor to do something since it was after final payment. He couldn't just do it on his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Is it 200 more than the original guarantee price, or 200 more than the cost of the cabin type you have been allocated? that makes a huge difference to the question posed!

Exactly.  Example:  If you booked a cruise for $1000 pp guaranteed.   And now that same category guaranteed is $1500 and AQ is now $200 more or $1700 pp you would have to pay $700 more pp.  The difference of the $1000 you booked at and the new price for AQ.  It should be able to be done as you are upgrading.    You will not get the upgrade for $200 more, the difference between new price of  $1500 and $1700.  

Hope it clarifies it and makes sense. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

I was recently able to go from concierge to aqua sky suite and pay the price difference after final payment, I had to call twice to get to the right person who knew how to do it 

Have never had a problem upgrading after final payment as long as the upgrade is more than the room already booked, even just $1.00 more.  Have also not booked guarantees so maybe that's the difference.

I also have upgraded after final payment and never had a problem.    As of late you may loose OBC from booking aboard since the promotion is difference.

You didn't indicate if you booked directly with Celebrity or via an Agent.     I have seen on occasion that a promotional price is only available for new bookings - which could also be a factor.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also have upgraded after final payment and never had a problem.    As of late you may loose OBC from booking aboard since the promotion is difference.

You didn't indicate if you booked directly with Celebrity or via an Agent.     I have seen on occasion that a promotional price is only available for new bookings - which could also be a factor.

directly with celebrity 

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Have never had a problem upgrading after final payment as long as the upgrade is more than the room already booked, even just $1.00 more.  Have also not booked guarantees so maybe that's the difference.

I think that guarantee is the issue

On 5/15/2024 at 4:58 PM, hamrag said:

200 more from my original guarantee price,

16 hours ago, MCC retired said:

More than you vs cruise line  rep , TA’s have the knowledge and contacts to get things like this done.

If you find a great TA, they are worth their weight in gold.  Any issues that come up, they handle!