S class sunset sky suite....vibration issues?

edgee

Want to cruise on Eclipse in Sky Suite. Do not want to be in cabin under pool deck, nor cabin with connecting door. Looks like there is one cabin on the entire ship that meets my criteria and it us a deck 11 sunset sky suite. We normally like to cruise forward on a ship due to less engine vibration. Any opinions on if vibration is an issue for S class rear facing cabins? Thanks.

I have sailed in each of the other 4 S class ships…never in a Sky Suite but always in a SV.  I have never experienced any engine vibration.  The views from the aft cabins are great…hope you enjoy 😎.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

I have sailed in each of the other 4 S class ships…never in a Sky Suite but always in a SV.  I have never experienced any engine vibration.  The views from the aft cabins are great…hope you enjoy 😎.

Thanks. We have cruised on Solstice and Eclipse multiple times. Once on an AQ cabin near rear of ship on Solstice and we asked to be moved forward due to vibration issues. Interestingly, on Eclipse I have never felt similar vibration, but have never had a cabin that far back on the ship.

Edited by edgee
  • Haha 1

We prefer aft cabins and have occasionally felt some minimal vibration on all of the ships.  Nothing constant or that last for any length of time.  Generally feel it when the ship is docking or departing from a port. 

• Like 1

We were in an aft corner S1 on Solstice. The only vibration occurred during some docking maneuvers - not every time, so probably related to the angle of approach or something. It was not significant enough to be an issue. 

• Like 1

We've sailed in an SV stateroom on Solstice, the only time we felt vibration was when manoeuvring in port. The real issue was soot making the balcony unusable a lot of the time.

On the Equinox, we were kept awake one night by vibrations that happened every 15 minutes. It was like a jolting vibration that woke us up every time it happened throughout the night. Difficult to explain, but we got no sleep. I am light sleeper. My husband is not, but he was woken up by it too. It was just one of the nights. No other vibrations were noticed.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

The real issue was soot making the balcony unusable a lot of the time.

Not challenging your experience, but when soot accumulates at all, it is not normally an ongoing issue as my understanding is it would occur when the ship's trash incinerators are operating and with unfavorable wind conditions.  Perhaps @chengkp75 will spot this and respond and will correct me if I am wrong.  Mostly just curious.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 5/18/2024 at 7:54 PM, edgee said:

Want to cruise on Eclipse in Sky Suite. Do not want to be in cabin under pool deck, nor cabin with connecting door. Looks like there is one cabin on the entire ship that meets my criteria and it us a deck 11 sunset sky suite. We normally like to cruise forward on a ship due to less engine vibration. Any opinions on if vibration is an issue for S class rear facing cabins? Thanks.

Never had a cabin at the rear but always feel a vibration when having breakfast in Tuscan. 

Posted (edited)

It depends on what you would consider vibration.  We have stayed in the aft SS and other aft cabins.   We have felt a constant fishtail effect when sailing.  It can be irritating and nauseating especially if you had a few drinks or sensitive to motion.it also depends on the speed it.   One time there was a vibration that was so bad that the glass vibrated off of the table.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

We have stayed in the aft corner Sky Suites on most of the S-Class ships at least once.  One of our favorite type of cabins on Celebrity.  Never experienced constant or even occasional vibrations when sailing.  I recall once or twice a brief vibration when docking in port.  Not a big deal at all.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We have stayed in the aft corner Sky Suites on most of the S-Class ships at least once.  One of our favorite type of cabins on Celebrity.  Never experienced constant or even occasional vibrations when sailing.  I recall once or twice a brief vibration when docking in port.  Not a big deal at all.

Our experience has been the same as yours.

I am not typically an Aft fan.  Similar to you, I prefer to be forward.  We sailed on the aft on a Reflection cruise in Nov 2021.  There was definitely a mechanical knocking for most of the trip (I'm pretty sure it was a bearing).  This was much different than the normal shimmy an aft room can feel while under power.

Now to be fair, this was one of the first cruises the Reflection had since returning to cruising.  IDK what kind of maintenance had gone on during that time or how often they opened the throttle.  It seemed to get better as the cruise went on & never bothered my wife; even when I asked her about it.  I'm hoping it was just a one time thing but we did book a short S-Class cruise with an aft room in a couple weeks to find out (before booking a much longer cruise on the aft 2 years from now).

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

We sailed on the aft on a Reflection cruise in Nov 2021.  There was definitely a mechanical knocking for most of the trip (I'm pretty sure it was a bearing).  This was much different than the normal shimmy an aft room can feel while under power.

Now to be fair, this was one of the first cruises the Reflection had since returning to cruising.  IDK what kind of maintenance had gone on during that time or how often they opened the throttle. 

On what knowledge are you basing your assessment of a bearing issue?  When the ships were out of commission during covid, along with certain senior staff, a base maintenance crew remained on board to keep the ships ready to return to service, with basic functions remaining operational.  The ships weren't mothballed or mechanically ignored during that period of time.

Not sure what you mean by "how often they opened the throttle".  But it doesn't really work that way.  Diesel electric generators provide electric power that operates the entire ship, including its electrically powered azipod drives, which propel the ship, which would naturally only operate when the ship needs to be moving.  To some degree, as power demands required, the diesel electric generators were always running.

Cruise ships typically follow a 5 year drydock maintenance schedule, with Reflection's recent two being completed in 2017 and 2022.  During those times routine mechanical and technical maintenance was performed along with general cosmetic updates.

My point being, whatever you felt during your cruise, if it was in fact related to a mechanical issue requiring maintenance, would have been addressed in the drydock subsequent to your cruise in 2022.

Edited by leaveitallbehind