Regent Management is Horrific

REGENT Horrific Management!!

We paid for Seven Seas Suite 802 on the brand new Regent Grandeur's two week transatlantic NYC-BCN voyage. Our suite was effectively uninhabitable! The veranda door had an air leak so loud it sounded like a whistling train. Their idea of fixing it was to duct tape the door shut. Thus, no more use of the veranda. Several curtains/shades kept falling off and had to be repaired several times through out the cruise. Closet and bathroom doors would not stay closed or latched during the night and would make noise as they opened and closed, until we got rubber door stops to keep them open. Worst of all, the walls of the bedroom made such loud banging and creaking noises that it sounded like someone was hammering inside the walls. All four Seven Seas Suites are at the front of the ship on the slope of the bow leading to the bridge. We spoke to others in the same suites and they also were experiencing these issues. While we were on a "crossing," the seas were never "rough" by any means, at best moderate 6' swells. Every time the bow hit a swell, the banging of the hull against the wave carried straight into the suite. Coupled with the banging and creaking of the wood walls, it made it impossible to sleep. Regent staff on board provided us with a concierge D cabin to sleep in (a cabin valued more than $10,000 less than what we paid). So, every night we had to pack a bag and move from one cabin to the next, then reverse the process the following morning. If we forgot anything, we'd have to wake up in the middle of the night, get dressed, and return to the other cabin to get it. That said, my compliments to the onboard crew (executive concierge and general manager) for being understanding and equally appalled as to what we were experiencing. Several days later, the executive concierge reported to us onboard that Regent was offering us a $2,500 credit towards a future cruise while we were on board, which we felt was an insult as to what we had to endure for the two weeks. Apparently, the executive concierge felt the same, because she said "Please don't shoot the messenger." Other than that, the executive concierge and general manager said we had to deal with Regent corporate upon our return, which we did. Needless to say, we heard back from NCL/Regent today with an increased offer of a $5000 credit towards a future cruise to be used within the next year based on availability! Again, what an insult for all the inconvenience we experience on board their "brand new luxury ship." I know Regent has made a name for itself and has no problems filling their ships, but I'll tell you two things. We are a "younger" couple in our 50's and 60's who are the next generation of cruisers and should be the focus of filling their ships. We have met many wonderful people on board Regent, many having hundreds and hundreds of nights on Regent and one thing they ALL agreed on and shared with us is that Regent is not what it once was. They observed that management (not onboard customer service) has gone down hill as of late and appears to be continuing on a down hill slide. Regent is not by any means the only high end cruise game in town and for us, sadly, we will never use Regent again. I think the saddest and most infuriating thing is that it is obvious that Regent demands and trains its employees to be excellent and of the highest standard (and they are), but when it comes to corporate management, the standard is completely different. 

• Like 3

I've read reports of the various door problems before, including resorting to duct tape.  These don't seem to me to insurmountable problems that can only be addressed during drydock. I'd save a portion of your ire for the ship's executives in addition to the corporate ones.  Persistent issues such as you, and others, have experienced should be priority issues for the ship's executives. It seems they are not.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've read reports of the various door problems before, including resorting to duct tape.  These don't seem to me to insurmountable problems that can only be addressed during drydock. I'd save a portion of your ire for the ship's executives in addition to the corporate ones.  Persistent issues such as you, and others, have experienced should be priority issues for the ship's executives. It seems they are not.

Retrofitting malfunctioning sliding doors in multiple suites is probably a drydock issue. I am sure the ship's senior crew have reported it...not much else they can do.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Retrofitting malfunctioning sliding doors in multiple suites is probably a drydock issue. I am sure the ship's senior crew have reported it...not much else they can do.

I suspect a little foam or rubber weather stripping type material would provide a temporary fix until the doors can be refitted in drydock.   I'm not sure what the exact problem with the closet and bathroom doors is, but I'd wager there's a better solution than rubber door stops to keep the doors open at night.  I also doubt that those are issues that require a drydock to fix.  I realize there are those who feel the ship executive staff have handled this adequately.   Opinions differ. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2

I certainly would agree that Regent Customer service/Managment is poor at best.  I'm surprised we don't have any data points from the other ships Explorer and Splendor on our suite reviews.  I would think they would have used the same materials, or wouldn't those other ships have encountered issues?  I did experience some issues in the PH sliding doors in rough seas which a rubber stopper solved.  That is just a given especially at the front of the ship with more movement.  I guess I expect some creaking on a ship all part of the experience for me and I can sleep through a lot (Especially with a few scotches or bourbon late night.)  

I assume regent has some other data points on these suites across the three ships.   This was probably a bad fit for the OP and would be better in a midship suite or aft.  Not clear if they have sailed up front on other lines.  But until we know if this is grandeur specific issue it won't be clear.  

Posted (edited)

Was just on Explorer.  Since first trip, it has been retrofitted to have a foot controlled stopper on closet door.  Definitely did need to engage the stopper on some nights.  Still had issue with whistling balcony door (twice out of 30 nights) but housekeeping and engineering checked frequently and fixed as soon as problem presented itself.  I was a very happy camper.

I, too, am surprised that the SuiteGuru does not have reports on forward SS suites on Splendor or Explorer.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I don’t know about that. Thinking back to the “whistling doors” complaints when Explorer and Splendor were new, it seems to me that the issue faded away well in advance of any dry dock. I got the impression that onboard maintenance and adjustment largely resolved the issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Was just on Explorer.  Since first trip, it has been retrofitted to have a foot controlled stopper on closet door.  Definitely did need to engage the stopper on some nights.  Still had issue with whistling balcony door (twice out of 30 nights) but housekeeping and engineering checked frequently and fixed as soon as problem presented itself.  I was a very happy camper.

the door stop fixes were definitely needed. I don't mind some of the creaks and whistles as long as there are no slams.  Kinda makes cruising a unique experience.  Similar to camping, I still like sleeping with the windows open and hearing the jungle sounds (except the howler monkeys, they are a bit annoying but usually only howl in the early morning.)

Whistling balcony doors; slamming closet doors; reopened interior doors between common area and bedroom in PH Suites resulting in--more slamming nighttime noises.  

Yes to all three on Explorer back in 2017 when on a series of inaugural cruises.  Engineers were a common sight in hallways vising Suites and making quick fixes.  Ours included.  Whatever they did solved, more or less, the balcony door issue while allowing us to utilize that area.

When last on Explorer in late 2023--no issues with closet door.  That jam worked.  Silence at night as to sliding balcony door. Nary a whistle heard even in windy, rough weather. Granted, our PH was centered, and lower.

Reference 2Sailing nomads Post #5:  Still had to confront the interior door issue. "Solution" was keeping doors open at night and placing a heavy chair in the track.  Restricted further slamming.  

When at sea:  Ship happens.  

GOARMY!

• Haha 1

@Wise Consumer, Apart from the suite issues, did you enjoy any other aspects of your cruise? dining, entertainment, ports ?

It appears the on-board team tried their best for you, including providing you with an additional suite. What more could they have done, in your opinion?

On 5/22/2024 at 7:13 PM, Wise Consumer said:

we heard back from NCL/Regent today with an increased offer of a $5000 credit towards a future cruise to be used within the next year based on availability! Again, what an insult for all the inconvenience we experience on board their "brand new luxury ship."

What recompense are you seeking from NCLH & Regent ?

• Like 1

Since we could not use our Seven Seas Suite, but were lucky enough to have a bottom tier room available, I think the fair thing Regent should have offered us a refund in the difference of the Seven Seas Suite we paid for and the room we used.  Also, a “refund,” not a credit towards a future cruise to be redeemed within a year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wise Consumer said:

Since we could not use our Seven Seas Suite, but were lucky enough to have a bottom tier room available, I think the fair thing Regent should have offered us a refund in the difference of the Seven Seas Suite we paid for and the room we used.  Also, a “refund,” not a credit towards a future cruise to be redeemed within a year.

In you first post, you said you chose to sleep in another room because it was quieter. Did Regent move you out of the suite permanently or did you have use of 2 rooms?

• Like 1

Yes, we “chose” to move to the other room because we had gotten zero sleep for two nights leading up to our bringing it to their attention.  “Choice” between sleep and no sleep is a no brainer don’t you think?  I take offense at your accusation that we were just “complainers.”  I would never taken the time to make such a detailed and lengthy complaint if the Suite was not uninhabitable as stated clearly in my post.  To put it even more clearly, if the ship was sold out and there were no other rooms, we would have disembarked at the first available port.  I’m sorry if you are a Regent Loyalist and you are offended, but the entire point is that they advertise themselves as a “6 Star” experience and they are barely 5 Star.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wise Consumer said:

Yes, we “chose” to move to the other room because we had gotten zero sleep for two nights leading up to our bringing it to their attention.  “Choice” between sleep and no sleep is a no brainer don’t you think?  I take offense at your accusation that we were just “complainers.”  I would never taken the time to make such a detailed and lengthy complaint if the Suite was not uninhabitable as stated clearly in my post.  To put it even more clearly, if the ship was sold out and there were no other rooms, we would have disembarked at the first available port.  I’m sorry if you are a Regent Loyalist and you are offended, but the entire point is that they advertise themselves as a “6 Star” experience and they are barely 5 Star.

I didn't accuse you of anything nor did I post any opinion at all.. I asked you to clarify your original post so I could better understand what happened.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I have learned I will never go on a cruise on a new ship.  I will let it settle first. 

Best advice ever. And after a major overhaul too.  We are the same way.  

Having said that, we did Grandeur in Jan. and had a wonderful cruise.  No issues with the F-2 Suite, although we could hear our neighbors on one side only, and only when we were on the sofa and probably they were too.  So no issue at all for us.  Other than that everything was great.  

I know there are issues with door leaks on every ship.  The gaskets aren't effective for a variety of reasons or the doors don't seat correctly.  On a new ship it's likely the latter and likely needs a major adjustment.  If all the suites in a specific category have an identical problem then it is a design problem from the shipyard and likely beyond the capabilities of the crew at sea. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

On a new ship it's likely the latter and likely needs a major adjustment.  If all the suites in a specific category have an identical problem then it is a design problem from the shipyard and likely beyond the capabilities of the crew at sea. 

This is what I was told when I enquired of a friend on board.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I didn't accuse you of anything nor did I post any opinion at all.. I asked you to clarify your original post so I could better understand what happened.

I also was confused, but in your original post, you said you had to pack a bag and move and reverse the process the following morning. So, though you didn't answer Pcardad's question, it does look like you had use of a Seven Seas suite AND a concierge suite. Am I wrong?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I also was confused, but in your original post, you said you had to pack a bag and move and reverse the process the following morning. So, though you didn't answer Pcardad's question, it does look like you had use of a Seven Seas suite AND a concierge suite. Am I wrong?

That is what I read also. They did not give up the extras perks and the space of the high suite during the day just slept in the regular suite at night then the $5000 future credit. That is what Regent offered us In 2018 when the A/C wasn’t working properly in our suite. We didn’t move as there was still a problem with the new suite's A/C. They did offer a FCC that we used on the Splendor.

The forward suites on any ship will have more sea motion and noise regardless of the size of the waves. If you want the smoothest sailing and the least noice possible go mid ship.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:13 PM, Wise Consumer said:

Regent staff on board provided us with a concierge D cabin to sleep in

On 5/24/2024 at 8:10 PM, Wise Consumer said:

Since we could not use our Seven Seas Suite, but were lucky enough to have a bottom tier room available,

A Concierge D Suite is far removed from a “bottom tier room”.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cwn said:

They did not give up the extras perks and the space of the high suite during the day just slept in the regular suite at night then the $5000 future credit.

I believe this is the sticking point as a FCC assumes one wants to cruise with the line again.  OP has been clear that they do not wish to sail on Regent again so the FCC is useless to them.

We are in an entry level suite (deluxe verandah) on Grandeur next spring.  I have considered upgrading us but I think we will stay put.  This is not the first account I've read about problematic rooms on Grandeur.  It's concerning, for sure.  But seems to be isolated to more expensive accommodations (at least that's what I'm telling myself)...ironic, to say the least.  

Although I can't speak to the Grandeur, we were in a "G" cabin on the Splendor most recently. It was a spur of the moment sort of thing, joining friends. I was skeptical about the cabin, but it was perfectly fine. Yes, it was smaller, but it was perfectly acceptable as it had everything the larger catagories had, just smaller. Bathroom had a shower that was excellent and as big as a car wash...hahaha! Only thing I didn't care for was the tv was mounted in front of the bed. You needed to sit or lie in the bed to view it. For the price difference, I think it was great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:10 AM, papaflamingo said:

Best advice ever. And after a major overhaul too.  We are the same way.  

Having said that, we did Grandeur in Jan. and had a wonderful cruise.  No issues with the F-2 Suite, although we could hear our neighbors on one side only, and only when we were on the sofa and probably they were too.  So no issue at all for us.  Other than that everything was great.  

I know there are issues with door leaks on every ship.  The gaskets aren't effective for a variety of reasons or the doors don't seat correctly.  On a new ship it's likely the latter and likely needs a major adjustment.  If all the suites in a specific category have an identical problem then it is a design problem from the shipyard and likely beyond the capabilities of the crew at sea. 

We were on the Grandeur in January in F1. Suite was wonderful, well appointed. But we too had an issue with our neighbors on one side of us. TV very loud, they yelled at each other and this was from day 1.  The Cruise Director didn't have the "Get to Know your Neighbors" party till the 4th afternoon. We finally met the couple, they were in the 80s and both had hearing aids, the old types.  Sometimes, it is not a Regent problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/22/2024 at 2:13 PM, Wise Consumer said:

REGENT Horrific Management!!

We paid for Seven Seas Suite 802 on the brand new Regent Grandeur's two week transatlantic NYC-BCN voyage. Our suite was effectively uninhabitable! The veranda door had an air leak so loud it sounded like a whistling train. Their idea of fixing it was to duct tape the door shut. Thus, no more use of the veranda. Several curtains/shades kept falling off and had to be repaired several times through out the cruise. Closet and bathroom doors would not stay closed or latched during the night and would make noise as they opened and closed, until we got rubber door stops to keep them open. Worst of all, the walls of the bedroom made such loud banging and creaking noises that it sounded like someone was hammering inside the walls. All four Seven Seas Suites are at the front of the ship on the slope of the bow leading to the bridge. We spoke to others in the same suites and they also were experiencing these issues. While we were on a "crossing," the seas were never "rough" by any means, at best moderate 6' swells. Every time the bow hit a swell, the banging of the hull against the wave carried straight into the suite. Coupled with the banging and creaking of the wood walls, it made it impossible to sleep. Regent staff on board provided us with a concierge D cabin to sleep in (a cabin valued more than $10,000 less than what we paid). So, every night we had to pack a bag and move from one cabin to the next, then reverse the process the following morning. If we forgot anything, we'd have to wake up in the middle of the night, get dressed, and return to the other cabin to get it. That said, my compliments to the onboard crew (executive concierge and general manager) for being understanding and equally appalled as to what we were experiencing. Several days later, the executive concierge reported to us onboard that Regent was offering us a $2,500 credit towards a future cruise while we were on board, which we felt was an insult as to what we had to endure for the two weeks. Apparently, the executive concierge felt the same, because she said "Please don't shoot the messenger." Other than that, the executive concierge and general manager said we had to deal with Regent corporate upon our return, which we did. Needless to say, we heard back from NCL/Regent today with an increased offer of a $5000 credit towards a future cruise to be used within the next year based on availability! Again, what an insult for all the inconvenience we experience on board their "brand new luxury ship." I know Regent has made a name for itself and has no problems filling their ships, but I'll tell you two things. We are a "younger" couple in our 50's and 60's who are the next generation of cruisers and should be the focus of filling their ships. We have met many wonderful people on board Regent, many having hundreds and hundreds of nights on Regent and one thing they ALL agreed on and shared with us is that Regent is not what it once was. They observed that management (not onboard customer service) has gone down hill as of late and appears to be continuing on a down hill slide. Regent is not by any means the only high end cruise game in town and for us, sadly, we will never use Regent again. I think the saddest and most infuriating thing is that it is obvious that Regent demands and trains its employees to be excellent and of the highest standard (and they are), but when it comes to corporate management, the standard is completely different. 

I too am confused with your details. So you had 2 suites, one for the day one for the night?  If your suite was so uninhabitable, why didn't you just get moved completely?  All cruise ships have a great system for moving. Our last cruise on the Navigator, there was a flood in our entire corridor, 10 cabins flooded during the night. Housekeeping had wetvacs working in the corridor and a team was already available to move us. We were told only take items out of the safe and go to breakfast, we were handed new card keys and one hr. later, after breakfast we went to our  new suite, everything was perfectly in place too.  A supervisor took pictures even of the items on the bathroom shelves. The GM gave us $200 SBC to use immediately and $1000 each for a FCC for our inconvenience.  

I will agree with you that the Miami office is beyond horrific. Their so called "Customer Service" is anything but. Inexperienced, rude, condescending & oh so unprofessional. Even my TA has given up trying to work with them.