Can Princess exchange larger currency for smaller bills? (Canadian)

Jetswdo

I always bring with me some foreign currency when going on a cruise with port stops outside of US.  I received larger bills than I wanted from B of A money exchange.  Does Princess keep local currency for port stops at hand at guest services- just for exchanging say a $100 bill for 4   20's for example?

(I know I can do this at a local bank during one of my port stops, but I really don't want to be bothered, if Princess can do this on board.  Any one done this?  Thanks for info.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

say a $100 bill for 4   20's for example?

I'll give you 4 20's for a $100 bill.

Yes, they can normally break larger bills into smaller ones.  At least using US Dollars.  I don't think they have foreign currency

Edited by dweeb
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, mahasamatman said:

I wouldn't count on them having non-U.S. currency.

They would have Australian dollars on Australian based cruises where that is the onboard currency.

As long as it's the currency that they are using onboard there is no charge.  I did find out something interesting through on a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand last December.  The onboard currency was AUD (which I had) but I wanted to know if they could provide change for $100 USD just in case I needed it for tips.  To do that they would have needed to change the $100 USD to AUD at their ridiculous exchange rate and then convert it back to USD at the equally ridiculous exchange rate.  In other words I would have had far less than $100 USD at the end of the transaction.  Even the GS person thought it was crazy but those were the rules.  I didn't do it.

Dweeb---LOL-- I meant to say 5 20's for 100 bill, tee hee!   I've never needed to exchange large bills for smaller ones  on a ship (American or foreign)---  Since my question is for Canadian cruise starting in Boston, almost all of the ports will be Canadian, except for Portland Maine---this never came up for me--

So if any one knows that answer to my question regarding this, I really would appreciate what you know!

6 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

As long as it's the currency that they are using onboard there is no charge.  I did find out something interesting through on a cruise from Sydney to New Zealand last December.  The onboard currency was AUD (which I had) but I wanted to know if they could provide change for $100 USD just in case I needed it for tips.  To do that they would have needed to change the $100 USD to AUD at their ridiculous exchange rate and then convert it back to USD at the equally ridiculous exchange rate.  In other words I would have had far less than $100 USD at the end of the transaction.  Even the GS person thought it was crazy but those were the rules.  I didn't do it.

Is that very much different than what would happen if you did these transactions at your local bank?  

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Is that very much different than what would happen if you did these transactions at your local bank?  

My local bank would have much better exchange rates.

Just now, azbirdmom said:

My local bank would have much better exchange rates.

Yes, that's likely.  Unfortunately, they don't have a service desk on the cruise ship which normally isn't in the foreign exchange business.

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

They would have Australian dollars on Australian based cruises where that is the onboard currency.

But since the OP was obviously talking about a USD cruise, that doesn't apply now, does it?

Most businesses in Canada will accept US dollars with some kind of exchange. You can also just hit up a bank ATM and withdraw some Canadian funds.

12 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Dweeb---LOL-- I meant to say 5 20's for 100 bill, tee hee!   I've never needed to exchange large bills for smaller ones  on a ship (American or foreign)---  Since my question is for Canadian cruise starting in Boston, almost all of the ports will be Canadian, except for Portland Maine---this never came up for me--

So if any one knows that answer to my question regarding this, I really would appreciate what you know!

If you are asking if the ship will be able to give you smaller Canadian notes for larger ones in Canadian currency, the answer is most likely no. They probably will only have US dollars. The easiest thing to do to get smaller bills in hand is try to make a small purchase with cash while you are in Canada. 

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

We quit exchanging money years ago.  Everyone takes credit cards and US dollars.  If they do not, we do not buy it.

I guess you haven't travelled off the beaten path much in Europe, Asia or Africa? Local currency is a must for markets, road side stalls and most importantly in Europe - public rest rooms. Iceland though is 100% credit card (even the bathrooms). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catchum said:

I guess you haven't travelled off the beaten path much in Europe, Asia or Africa? Local currency is a must for markets, road side stalls and most importantly in Europe - public rest rooms. Iceland though is 100% credit card (even the bathrooms). 

We have been to 140 countries.  We are not shoppers.  We have never bought anything at a market or road side stall.  We do not use public restrooms that charge.  We go to restaurants and buy something with a credit card and use their restroom.  Probably do not travel off the beaten path.  We do not leave the tourist areas.

29 minutes ago, Catchum said:

We have always had the coins for the toilets.  Last couple of trips in Europe, many had credit card options.

In reality, most cruise port stops are not going to be that much off the beaten path.   We have pretty much stopped worrying about carrying more than some "just in case" local currency.   I will admit there have been a couple of times when we had to run to an ATM in order to complete a transaction.  

We know some places accept US$, but we don't really carry much of those either, traveling or at home.  

31 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

We have been to 140 countries.  We are not shoppers.  We have never bought anything at a market or road side stall.  We do not use public restrooms that charge.  We go to restaurants and buy something with a credit card and use their restroom.  Probably do not travel off the beaten path.  We do not leave the tourist areas.

Princess has taken me to a few places where once I left the port, it was clear I was in a third world country.  And it would be wise not to wander around those places with a pocket full of cash. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

We quit exchanging money years ago.  Everyone takes credit cards and US dollars.  If they do not, we do not buy it.

I like to have some local currency, especially if I plan to tip a tour guide but generally only use credit cards

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

That's for sure.  On a recent transatlantic we stopped in Tenerife.  While walking along the main street some guy (a Viking cruiser) stopped me outside a drugstore and asked me whether I had any euros I'd be willing to sell him; he needed to pay for his heart medication and the pharmacist wasn't the least bit interested in taking USD.... he had a wad of them in his pocket and it was all pretty much useless to him.  I sold him €10 for $14 and everything worked out.  Interestingly, he gave me a $10 bill and two $2 bills.  Why on earth would somebody take $2 bills on a cruise and expect anybody, other than an American or (maybe) a Canadian to take them?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

We have always had the coins for the toilets.  Last couple of trips in Europe, many had credit card options.

Elaborate? I'm just taking my Visa, Debit card, and left over €6. Would prefer to not use the ATM but if you had a big problem recently with a chip & contactless card I might have to rethink that 

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

That's for sure.  On a recent transatlantic we stopped in Tenerife.  While walking along the main street some guy (a Viking cruiser) stopped me outside a drugstore and asked me whether I had any euros I'd be willing to sell him; he needed to pay for his heart medication and the pharmacist wasn't the least bit interested in taking USD.... he had a wad of them in his pocket and it was all pretty much useless to him.  I sold him €10 for $14 and everything worked out.  Interestingly, he gave me a $10 bill and two $2 bills.  Why on earth would somebody take $2 bills on a cruise and expect anybody, other than an American or (maybe) a Canadian to take them?

The crew accepts them. And smiles.