Toilet etiquette!

So i just read this toilet etiquette on a post!! Do not flush any wet wipes or baby wipes down the toilet. Put them in the garbage can. No sanitary products either. Put in a bag.ask for more bags.

nothing flushes except the thin TP tha Carnival has on board. Otherwise your cabin might get flooded!!!

lol

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It's just like at home, nothing goes down the commode except #1, #2, and TP. And don't forget about the courtesy flush.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

When to flush:  If it's yellow, you can keep it mellow.

If it's brown, it must go down! 😉

Edited by SUESEABE

1 hour ago, BETSY DOLL said:

So i just read this toilet etiquette on a post!! Do not flush any wet wipes or baby wipes down the toilet. Put them in the garbage can. No sanitary products either. Put in a bag.ask for more bags.

nothing flushes except the thin TP tha Carnival has on board. Otherwise your cabin might get flooded!!!

lol

Are you saying you didn't know about this until just now? How many cruises have you been on?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

you would think that they would read, especially when sitting on the throne.

On most ships, you wouldn't be able to read the sign when you are sitting on the throne, since it's posted on the wall above said thrown.  That is, unless you are sitting backwards.

image.jpeg.c70d59d80d082b38689a3eda2b6df172.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

you would think that they would read, especially when sitting on the throne.

General preference of what I read on the toilet:

• Newspapers
  • Junk mail
  • Magazines
  • Books
  • Tablets
  • Cell phones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BETSY DOLL said:

lol

Not really funny if you have had a bathroom water backup on a ship because someone down the line did what they weren't supposed to do. It is disgusting. Then the maintenance people have to find what the issue is.

This is a very real problem on ships because of people choosing to be ignorant. 

Sorry to be the downer here...

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BETSY DOLL said:

nothing flushes except the thin TP that Carnival has on board. Otherwise your cabin might get flooded!!!

lol

I'm not sure why this is funny.

We have seen FAR too many stalls out of order on numerous ships, in addition to many complaints of cabin toilet issues.

These guidelines seem obvious--but DH was insisting we bring Charmin for a while (his tender toush, ya know...) but when he realized he could be contributing to plumbing problems, he gave that up.

Obviously they are finding these items when clogs occur; far too many people think "oh, just one won't hurt..."

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, BETSY DOLL said:

lol

FYI don't put them directly in the trash can. Put them in the sanitary bags THEN in the trash. They have to be biohazard disposed. 

• Like 3

I seem to recall reading a highly credible post that the thin toilet paper on cruise ships has to do with cost, not plumbing.    

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

FYI don't put them directly in the trash can. Put them in the sanitary bags THEN in the trash. They have to be biohazard disposed. 

Just wondering. . .Wouldn't all of the trash on the ship be incinerated, after removing all recyclables? 

1 minute ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Just wondering. . .Wouldn't all of the trash on the ship be incinerated, after removing all recyclables? 

Yes but my understanding is that biohazards are disposed of separately from everything else.

4 hours ago, Megan_Strick said:

As someone who works in the water/sewer industry, "flushable wipes" are in fact, not flushable! Stop doing it!

The problem nowadays is too many people don’t care if their actions affect others. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I am an airline pilot and one thing we routinely see is people trying to flush baby diapers and feminine sanitary products down the lavatory toilet. W T F people!?!?!? You wouldn't flush those items down your own toilet so why the hell would you try and flush one in the airplane toilet? This always makes that lavatory unusable and that really sucks for everyone else on the plane since now there is one less lavatory to use.

And while I am on the subject -- WASH YOUR FLITHY HANDS. I can't tell you how often I see people walking out of public restrooms in airports and cruise ships and not wash their hands. Then people blame the cruise line for the norovirus when it was likely your fellow passenger walking out of the $chitter without washing his hands and go directly to the Lido buffet line.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

First off, all the trash from your cabin (and so anything in the bathroom trash) is sorted, by hand, by the cabin attendants into multiple categories.  The incinerator is used for paper and cardboard almost exclusively, as virtually everything else is sorted for recycling or proper disposal ashore.  Now, everything that goes into the incinerator is shredded to ensure a proper and complete incineration.  So, if biohazard waste is left with the incineration waste, it gets shredded, and then stuck in the silo for hours, contaminating the inside of the silo.  Biohazard waste is collected in "red bags" to identify it, and it is segregated, and fed into the incinerator when at a specified furnace temperature, through a manual door into the furnace, and is witnessed and logged for time and quantity.  This is the same process done for expired dangerous medications.

As a side note, when cabins have people in quarantine, their linens are collected in other "red bags" that are put into a special washing machine, used for nothing else but biohazard laundry, that is set for higher wash temperatures.  The laundry is loaded into the washer still in the red bag, not having been handled since it was taken from the cabin, and the red bag dissolves in the hot water in the washer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

The TP on the ship is like the RV (travel trailer or motor home ) tissue, it breaks down easily and easier on the system on ships. 

8 hours ago, MEUB1112 said:

The TP on the ship is like the RV (travel trailer or motor home ) tissue, it breaks down easily and easier on the system on ships. 

Sorry to dispel this myth.  The toilet tissue on ships is thin due to them using pallet loads of it each week, and to keep cost down.  It is not special TP like motor homes or boats, and in reality it needs to not break down easily to ensure the "product" plug can be sucked down the full length of the vacuum piping to the engine room.

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry to dispel this myth.  The toilet tissue on ships is thin due to them using pallet loads of it each week, and to keep cost down.  It is not special TP like motor homes or boats, and in reality it needs to not break down easily to ensure the "product" plug can be sucked down the full length of the vacuum piping to the engine room.

I would expect that the cruise lines wouldn't want to incur the extra expense to procure the RV type toilet paper. I am glad that I don't have to buy too much of it myself.