New to Haven class--already an annoyance with Email contacting land concierge--

Hi all, upon a suggestion regarding contacting land concierge with a letter, from sthrngary and others--

I went ahead and wrote a short letter, just saying we are new to Haven and just a couple of notes to inform the butler (yes I will also hand Butler a note with $60 in advance)   Ok so I just wrote to please remove all those extra pay stuff from refrigerator, etc. a few extra bath towels, Ice delivered in afternoon daily.  The last thing I wrote was to please not bring those canapies with fish or pork to the cabin.  I never said I had allergies or anything like that. It  is just a preference----  The next thing I know is that I receive two letters, one for myself and one for husband to contact NCL immediately so that restaurants are informed, etc.  I think that I should have received a letter, ASKING if allergies were a problem, which of course I would have said, "no" just a preference for the cabin.  Any way, I called up NCL was connecting to someone in concierge department, who couldn't have been nicer.  I asked her to please remove anything that says we have allergies, and just to provide information to butler regarding what not to bring to cabin.    Let me just say to people that need to contact restaurants regarding medical issues etc.  it is nice to know that NCL is on top of that.  But  I am annoyed that it was put down on my reservation that we have allergies and restaurants must be informed, when I never said that.  Well, hopefully the agent did remove that as she said.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I understand your point of view. Usually the things you mention can be taken care of on the first day when you meet your butler. I make a short list with our cabin number on it so he doesn't have to remember. Yes they misunderstood and it caused work for you.  I was on another cruiseline and someone was pleading with the room steward to remove all alcohol from his room because he was an alcoholic and the room steward said he had to put it in a bag under the bed rules are rules. That's the other side of the coin. Don't know how that ended up. Anyway have a nice cruise. We don't give the butler money upfront. Some people do. On one occasion we were told to wait until the end almost as if I was breaking some type of rule.

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Like 1

I applaud NCL for being proactive. Without seeing your letter or email it’s impossible to say why they made that assumption, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 7

word to the wise:  all the things you wrote to the on land concierge can be easily accomplished once you get to your cabin, you can tell the cabin steward to remove anything (or everything) from the fridge, you can ask him/her top bring extra bath towels daily, you will probably meet both  the steward and the butler within a  hour or so of getting into your cabin, so you can advise the butler on the very 1st day of your preferences regarding the snacks. the only thing i ask the on land concierge (if a call him at all) is for gummie bears and peanut m&m's and if i have the appropriate drink package, a few cans of coke and a couple of bottles of heinekin. also on the 1st day, i advise the butler, that every morning, at about 7:30 i would like him to bring a pot of coffee, a pot of hot water/tea bags, croissants and sweet rolls. if my friend is sailing with us, also a pot of decaf i and relatively easy to please

• Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

word to the wise:  all the things you wrote to the on land concierge can be easily accomplished once you get to your cabin, you can tell the cabin steward to remove anything (or everything) from the fridge, you can ask him/her top bring extra bath towels daily, you will probably meet both  the steward and the butler within a  hour or so of getting into your cabin, so you can advise the butler on the very 1st day of your preferences regarding the snacks. the only thing i ask the on land concierge (if a call him at all) is for gummie bears and peanut m&m's and if i have the appropriate drink package, a few cans of coke and a couple of bottles of heinekin. also on the 1st day, i advise the butler, that every morning, at about 7:30 i would like him to bring a pot of coffee, a pot of hot water/tea bags, croissants and sweet rolls. if my friend is sailing with us, also a pot of decaf i and relatively easy to please

I have mixed success with the land concierge. I always ask them to empty the fridge prior to embarkation. Only once in 5 Haven cruises was that done. But, as previously stated the butlers are amazing and have fulfilled our requests shortly after boarding. We also have few requests. I just learned from these boards that I could ask for continuous pitchers of water and/or juice. I never thought to do that previously. 

roddy, you'll find most of the butler staff are most accommodating and will do almost anything for the cruiser within reason. if however there is a  problem (and prior posts have indicated displeasure with their butlers) merely contact the concierge, he is in charge of the butler staff.

by the way, if you encounter any type of problem with you butler, dont hesitate to contact the concierge, remember you're paying for this upgraded service, just make sure your request was reasonable!

• Like 1

Over planning can sometimes lead to disappointment.  There are countless threads of the pre-concierge requests never materializing. Put me in that camp.  It goes much more smoothly to board first and then make those requests.  Writing the butler is also a bad idea before a cruise. He/she is currently handling multiple cabins with some very needy people.  They cannot devote attention to a future cruiser. I completely understand the excitement of cruising in the Haven for the first time.  I am just afraid some of these actions could backfire and make you have bad expectations.  You will meet your butler on the first or second day.   No list necessary. Just explain what you want and he/she will make it happen.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Hi all, upon a suggestion regarding contacting land concierge with a letter, from sthrngary and others--

I don't believe sthrngary suggested contacting the land concierge with a letter.  

Sthrngary clearly stated the letter was to be handed to the butler when you meet him for the first time.

It's been my experience that calling the shore based concierge is to be preferred since it's easier to discuss preferrences in a phone call than in an email since an email is one-sided, there is no give an take.  Besides the shore based concierge can make suggestions during the phone call and clarify what can and cannot be done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

I went ahead and wrote a short letter, just saying we are new to Haven and just a couple of notes to inform the butler (yes I will also hand Butler a note with $60 in advance)   Ok so I just wrote to please remove all those extra pay stuff from refrigerator, etc. a few extra bath towels, Ice delivered in afternoon daily.  The last thing I wrote was to please not bring those canapies with fish or pork to the cabin.  I never said I had allergies or anything like that. It  is just a preference----  The next thing I know is that I receive two letters, one for myself and one for husband to contact NCL immediately so that restaurants are informed, etc.  I think that I should have received a letter, ASKING if allergies were a problem, which of course I would have said, "no" just a preference for the cabin.  Any way, I called up NCL was connecting to someone in concierge department, who couldn't have been nicer.  I asked her to please remove anything that says we have allergies, and just to provide information to butler regarding what not to bring to cabin.    Let me just say to people that need to contact restaurants regarding medical issues etc.  it is nice to know that NCL is on top of that.  But  I am annoyed that it was put down on my reservation that we have allergies and restaurants must be informed, when I never said that.  Well, hopefully the agent did remove that as she said.

We never, ever deal with the shoreside pre-concierge. It is essentially a call center to take requests and send them off to the ship which may act on them. They can not do anything that you can't and shouldn't do yourselves. 

We always deal directly with our butler and our concierge on the ship. We want to build that rapport with our staff so that they know and understand what we want. (Yikes! actually talk with someone versus emailing them). 

There are things like "empty mini-bar".... there are three bottles of water for sale in the mini-bar and we just take the three bottles of water out of the mini-bar and put them on the counter. We don't need to direct someone to do that for us.   

Interacting directly with your butler when you are onboard would have totally avoid the misunderstanding of food allergies. 

Your butler does not need a protracted letter about your life history. You can only be disappointed when they don't understand what you're trying to communicate. Provide short, concise direction to them about what you want. We print 1/4 sheet note sheets with our room number and names upon which we can scribble requests on for both our butler and cabin steward. At the end of our cruise, we can scribble a thank you note and stick it in our tip envelope.

Here's exactly what our "butler letter" looks like. 

image.png.97d72bde6aaab7a7d614c86ea7eacb82.png

• Like 5

The mini fridge on our last at least 6 cruises no longer have fridge stocked with any alcohol.   in them.  the only alcohol is a bottle of Champagne in the ice cooler stand upon arrival.  WE are diamond and yes there are cartons of water, but not in the mini fridge.  Anyway I think you could ask pre concierge to not have any complimentary alcoholic bevies delivered to room.

52 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We never, ever deal with the shoreside pre-concierge. It is essentially a call center to take requests and send them off to the ship which may act on them. They can not do anything that you can't and shouldn't do yourselves. 

We always deal directly with our butler and our concierge on the ship. We want to build that rapport with our staff so that they know and understand what we want. (Yikes! actually talk with someone versus emailing them). 

There are things like "empty mini-bar".... there are three bottles of water for sale in the mini-bar and we just take the three bottles of water out of the mini-bar and put them on the counter. We don't need to direct someone to do that for us.   

Interacting directly with your butler when you are onboard would have totally avoid the misunderstanding of food allergies. 

Your butler does not need a protracted letter about your life history. You can only be disappointed when they don't understand what you're trying to communicate. Provide short, concise direction to them about what you want. We print 1/4 sheet note sheets with our room number and names upon which we can scribble requests on for both our butler and cabin steward. At the end of our cruise, we can scribble a thank you note and stick it in our tip envelope.

Here's exactly what our "butler letter" looks like. 

image.png.97d72bde6aaab7a7d614c86ea7eacb82.png

what is "bar mix"?  I'm picturing pretzels, maybe nuts, ???

Since no one said it, I will go ahead and do so.  There is absolutely no reason to bribe your butler the first day.  Handing them a bribe with a note listing requests seems as if you think the butler is not willing to do their job. While no one is ever going to say no to free money, the butler's are professionals and may be insulted by your bribe.  Just tip at the end of the cruise.  We have never bribed anyone and have always received stellar service.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

I applaud the concierge staff.  They understood your letter to suggest you might have allergies to fish and pork, so they were pro-active to make sure you were sent the allergy form.  Not sure why that would annoy you. I get that allergy form every trip, as my son has food allergies. 
So you just don’t return the form or clarify that it’s not an allergy and you do want fish/pork, just not as canapés. 

Sounds like you got excellent service. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gizfish said:

Since no one said it, I will go ahead and do so.  There is absolutely no reason to bribe your butler the first day.  Handing them a bribe with a note listing requests seems as if you think the butler is not willing to do their job. While no one is ever going to say no to free money, the butler's are professionals and may be insulted by your bribe.  Just tip at the end of the cruise.  We have never bribed anyone and have always received stellar service.

It’s not a bribe. Tips are the majority of the butler’s compensation. So it’s just pre-paying part of their compensation. 

As guests can tip very differently, it’s providing an expectation from the start of their compensation. 

When you accept a new job, do you like to know the salary in advance, or would you take a new job with the boss telling you, “work for a week… then I’ll decide how much to pay you.” 

That’s basically the position butlers are in. Tips are indeed discretionary. There is no obligation to tip at the start. There is no legal obligation to tip at all. 
But giving a tip at the start is beneficial to the butler and to the guest, as it essentially sets mutual expectations. 

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't believe sthrngary suggested contacting the land concierge with a letter.  

Sthrngary clearly stated the letter was to be handed to the butler when you meet him for the first time.

It's been my experience that calling the shore based concierge is to be preferred since it's easier to discuss preferrences in a phone call than in an email since an email is one-sided, there is no give an take.  Besides the shore based concierge can make suggestions during the phone call and clarify what can and cannot be done.

This. I recently had a phone call with the concierge to book dining. It ended up lasting 30 minutes as they kept suggesting things I might need.  Things I wasn’t even planning on asking. We are in a Garden Villa— the concierge went through what extra pillows for which bedroom. What mixers we need for our bar. Etc.  

1 hour ago, havoc315 said:

This. I recently had a phone call with the concierge to book dining. It ended up lasting 30 minutes as they kept suggesting things I might need.  Things I wasn’t even planning on asking. We are in a Garden Villa— the concierge went through what extra pillows for which bedroom. What mixers we need for our bar. Etc.  

Some seem to be afraid of calling but it produces so much better results.

I do talk to the pre-cruise concierge.  They've actually been quite good with my requests.

But, I also talk to my Butler the fist day of the cruise and inform him of any requests.  S/He always follows up to make certain everything was to my liking about the 2nd-3rd day of the cruise (it always is).  S/He always makes a note in a little notebook.

I just find it easier to talk to them face to face with my requests.  Plus, it gives me a chance to get to know them and vice versa right from the start.

• Like 2

This week was our first Haven cruise. We requested snacks and juices, and they were there when we arrived. We also picked our pillows from the menu, and they arrived as part of turndown. So, the pre-cruise concierge followed through.

We had made our own reservations, so I didn't give the sthrngary letter since I didn't feel like there was much to list. However, I will on our next trip. The reason? Our butler had 10 cabins on two decks. We met him the first day, but it is going to take him a few days to get the feel of his clients. Once he knew what we preferred he could tailor things better. For example, he gave us customized canapes once he knew we really only wanted desert or cheese type items. 

In regard to allergies: every specialty restaurant we went to and MDR asked about food allergies as their first line when seating us.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Did they raise the transportation issue? I had read online that they would provide a car to take GV people home, but it was never mentioned to us when we booked the GV... then on day 3 of the cruise the Concierge asked if we wanted him to do that for us.  At that point I'd already booked somebody and didn't want to reneg, so opportunity lost.

Of course NCL might have discontinued it, but ask just in case!

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

3 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Did they raise the transportation issue? I had read online that they would provide a car to take GV people home, but it was never mentioned to us when we booked the GV... then on day 3 of the cruise the Concierge asked if we wanted him to do that for us.  At that point I'd already booked somebody and didn't want to reneg, so opportunity lost.

Of course NCL might have discontinued it, but ask just in case!

I don't remember if they mentioned it, honestly. I'm aware of it, but would decline it regardless as we are driving to the port. 

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What if "home" is 1000 miles from port?

seems to me, if youre shelling out $30,000 for the cabin, they ought to carry you home piggyback, if necessary, regardless of where home might be

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, gizfish said:

While no one is ever going to say no to free money, the butler's are professionals and may be insulted by your bribe. 

Lol. I see you're one of those "bribe" people. Such nonsense. Insulted? Yeah, right.

• Haha 1