Cabin upgrade bid

When you are given the chance to bid for a cabin upgrade, does anyone know how much it will usually take to secure an upgrade? Is it worth it? This is my first cruise and I want to have the best experience but don't want to waste money>

7 minutes ago, Wannacruise24 said:

When you are given the chance to bid for a cabin upgrade, does anyone know how much it will usually take to secure an upgrade? Is it worth it? This is my first cruise and I want to have the best experience but don't want to waste money>

Which cruise line? It might be best to ask on the lines' forum to get the best answers.

Cruise Lines “A – O”

Cruise Lines “P – Z”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wannacruise24 said:

Hello again @Wannacruise24

Sorry, but I had to be away from the boards for a bit.

I now see from your previous posts you have posted on a Celebrity Roll Call. Therefore, I have moved your thread to the Celebrity Cruises forum where it will be on topic regarding their cabin upgrade procedure.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the link to the page in your bowser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your inquiry message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members answer you.

To research your ports, you need to research the Ports of Call forums. That is where your fellow Cruise Critic members discuss the ports. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent those forums and provide feedback there. Browse through the thread titles on the forums for your ports looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

13 minutes ago, Wannacruise24 said:

Thanks

It’s semi complicated.  On the sliding scale you will see the minimum bid for each category you wish to bid on.  Depending on how much you want to have the bid accepted, the higher the bid the better your chances.  Though keep in mind the suite level you want, may not even be available, you might be bidding on a possible maybe.  The upper suites of course will go to higher bids, do a mock booking to see what they are currently going for, so you are sure you also don’t overpay.  

If it's your first cruise on Celebrity I would suggest you just stick with the cabin you thought you would like when you booked.  After this sailing you will get a feel for the ship and the product overall and can determine if a different category of stateroom would be more desirable in the future.

• Like 4

It really depends on what classification of room you are in and the class you are bidding.   It will vary by the sailing so their is no one answer.

First start by understanding what you paid and what the cost is for the room you are bidding on.   Also so you can check how many cabins are open.

Next read the First sticky at the top of the Celebrity Forum on Celebrity Move UP.    Others will post what the Minimum and Maxim of the bids they received and then come back and report whether they won or not.   They often also indicate what their winning bid was.

From this you can get a good idea of the potential for an upgrade and an idea of what the odds of successful bid will be by price.

From this you can decide if it might be appropriate for you and your budget.

Posted (edited)

I think that it varies from cruise to cruise.

Our cruise was sold out, but some people always cancel at the last minute.

We won the bid from an inside to balcony.  Our bid was about in the middle.  It was in the first part of the green.

My guess is that the lowest inside cabins are the easiest for the cruise lines to resell at the last minute.  

Our bid was about half of the additional it would have cost if we would have purchased it from the beginning.

Bid what you are comfortable with spending on the upgrade ...

YMMV

Edited by NMTraveller

I also suggest you stay with the cabin you have booked. After one sailing you will have a better idea oi what to expect and how the ship is laid out, which can matter about where you want to stay. 

When offered a move- suite, will they tell you what room number they are offering?   There are some suites are below the Luminaire which would be unacceptable.   

On 6/16/2024 at 3:33 PM, Wannacruise24 said:

@Wannacruise24

When I read this Cruise Critic article, I thought of your thread. Click here: Bidding for Cruise Cabin Upgrades: Tips and Tricks

Perhaps there will be something in there that will be helpful.

23 hours ago, IggleDoer said:

When offered a move- suite, will they tell you what room number they are offering?   There are some suites are below the Luminaire which would be unacceptable.   

No. You have to be willing to be happy with what they give you. Most people dont find out until 2 days before the cruise (with few exceptions) so you wont be able to change.

On 6/19/2024 at 3:52 PM, IggleDoer said:

No -  If you are upgraded they will assign you a cabin in that class.   Expect the worst (as those are usually the ones available) and be happy if you get something better.

Cabins under Luminae are generally not a problem.   I once was upgraded to a SkySuite under the Buffet entrance to the dish washing area.    Sounded like subways going by every 15 minutes starting at 5AM.    Also the room was an accessible room (not my favorite).

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I once was upgraded to a SkySuite under the Buffet entrance to the dish washing area.    Sounded like subways going by every 15 minutes starting at 5AM.    Also the room was an accessible room (not my favorite).

Funny you mentioned this. A couple in Luminae tonight had a FCC that they were issued for dealing with the noise in one of those cabins. 

On 6/16/2024 at 4:33 PM, Wannacruise24 said:

It's only worth it if it is less than it would have been had you booked that category in the first place. Had you not priced it out at that time you can't tell.

I also would stick with whatever cabin you booked. In general, cruise vacations are AMAZING and unlike anything you've experienced before. Even if you're in a basic cabin, you still have access to almost all of the amenities on the ship - the pool deck, the walking track, the gym, the sun deck, restaurants, clubs, entertainment, etc., etc. 

Plus if you go on another cruise, it might be fun to try something different then. It is really hard to walk back from one class of cabin to a lesser one. 

On 6/16/2024 at 3:33 PM, Wannacruise24 said:

IF you wish to upgrade to the Retreat, do be aware that according to their website there are some perks that you do not get for doing the MoveUp from a non-suite to a suite

I bid with Move Up in my very first Celebrity cruise, but it was only from OV to balcony, was not very expensive, and was in October so not a very busy season. Those lower level upgrades have a much higher probability of success, assuming there are still rooms available, than winning a suite which can cost hundreds to thousands more in order to win. Keep your expectations reasonable and you won’t be disappointed 🙂

• Like 1