The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 21st, 2024

Good morning, Dailyites, I have had time to do a quick read of the threads, but no time to post.  The visitors have gone to the flower shop and then to the cemetery to visit Janet's parents, so we are alone for the time being.  It has been a busy few days, they are leaving tomorrow for Orcas for a week and then home to California.  

But I am thinking of you all,  prayers for Tana that things improve, also for Jacqui.  Lambie, I loved the romantic story about Howard, but 52 is much too soon to go.  And Gerry, I laughed too,  You paint pictures!  When Pat was working in Sri Lanka on water supply the group had to follow a stream to locate a water source; when they got back to the hotel, everyone else was bloody from their waists down - leeches had attached themselves to them, but couldn't pass their belts.  The hotel staff were horrified.  Pat was the only one who wasn't bloody;  I had sprayed all around his pant cuffs, as he is allergic to mosquito bites, and that had deterred the leeches.  

We are going out to Butchart's this afternoon for tea, and then I figured we wouldn't want to eat much tonight so it will be cold BBQ chicken and a salad.  Following Tony's example, I have picked a lot of lettuce, washed it and now, hopefully, it is crisping up in the fridge.

• Like 26

6 hours ago, LambKnuckles said:

It also would be my 39th wedding anniversary, had Howard lived past 52 years old.  We married exactly one year to the day after our first date -- which was six months after I met him and kept saying NO to invitations of dates!  I relented on 6/21/84...  I thought one date can't be too bad and then I could say thank you anyway and be done with this man who came into my photo shop one day in January, and told me he was going to marry me...  On the first day, he told me this!

Happy anniversary.  Sad that it is a heavenly one but what a wonderful memory and touching story.  Thank you 🙂 

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu @XBGuy The wine sounds intriguing to me also.

I’m wondering if it might be a good choice for one who is very prone to “feline factor”?

It was a really lovely white.  if DD DH was still alive he could probably answer your question but alas, I cannot.  

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I still miss our two dachshunds, Brandy and Nikki, who are now playing on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Dogs.jpg.98c6b7097437e6181d0384946e5143a8.jpg

Aww - I don’t blame you for missing them 💔

I try to remind myself this in case it is of help to you:

IMG_2496.thumb.jpeg.356af15dbcf219855359ebc4d9fe7f74.jpeg

Debbie, I also wonder about meeting Maurice now.

You and Debbie @dfish will enjoy Maurice.  he is one cool cat - a man of many talents, great sense of humour and if you’re lucky he’just do his Bond, James Bond at some time.   (Hope I’m not in trouble with Gerry @ger_77 🤞)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Day of Yoga..................................

Ha, my lovely wife Maria and I took up Yoga three weeks ago at the local Y! Interesting concept! 😉

yoga joke savasana

Psychic News on X: "Your first Yoga class Click image to see full picture  #spiritualfunny #yoga #yogajokes #yogafunny #jokes #funny #fun #funnyphoto  https://t.co/E3Cx4INdSz" / X

yoga joke thoughts

yoga joke - pants

Yoga Jokes Hugely Sale | www.metaltecnica.com.pe

yoga joke - calm

35fbd68f30779afd6122df11bf6ed86a.jpg

244af29848992985d512988564523191.jpg

worrier pose yoga joke

yoga mat joke

• Like 6
  • Haha 25

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Aww - I don’t blame you for missing them 💔

I try to remind myself this in case it is of help to you:

IMG_2496.thumb.jpeg.356af15dbcf219855359ebc4d9fe7f74.jpeg

You and Debbie @dfish will enjoy Maurice.  he is one cool cat - a man of many talents, great sense of humour and if you’re lucky he’just do his Bond, James Bond at some time.   (Hope I’m not in trouble with Gerry @ger_77 🤞)

Jacqui, thanks for the meme.  Sadly, we don't have a dog right now.  When Nikki died, we didn't think it would be fair to a dog since we were traveling so much, and I wasn't ready for another  dog.  I wish we had gotten one in 2020, but like many, we thought we'd be traveling a lot once the worst of the pandemic was ended.  Then life got in the way, and right now, I don't think I have the time or energy to train another dog.  The picture is my screen saver on the computer.

I hope we can cruise with Carolyn and Maurice someday.

Lenda

• Like 20

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

Jacqui and @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I am excited to be cruising with Gerry and Maurice even if it is over a year away.   I wonder if I can convince them to come to South America/Antarctica with us?  I doubt Maurice will pick up any ticks there.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

Bodo, the town and the military air base on the top! It is the capital of Norland County and can be found just north of the Artic Circle. Not too many cruise lines offer it as a stop however, Norwegian coastal ferry service/cruise line Hurtigruten does on it northbound and southbound routes on both Kong Harald and Nordkapp

undefined

Two shots of Bodo hovedflystasjon / Bodo Military Air Station

Two_F-16_at_Bod%C3%B8_Main_Air_Station.jpg

F-5A_RNoAF_Bodo_1982.jpeg

Hurtigruten ASA (Norway) - Kong Harald.jpg

Hurtigruten ASA (Norway) - Nordkapp.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon.  It's sunny but humid right now.  Storms in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.  Tomorrow is DGD's dance recital.  I think she's in 7 dances with 7 costume changes!  She'll be busy.  She's almost 11, and helps "supervise" the younger kiddos during their Off Stage time.  She has 3 recitals tomorrow, and 3 on Sunday. 

@LambKnucklesThanks for sharing your love story, Happy Anniversary.  May good memories bring you comfort.  

@kazuyour peonies are beautiful.  

@smitty34877hoping Tana feels better soon.  

My tomatoes and cucumbers are growing very nicely.  They have lots of flowers and I see tiny cucumbers.  My basil is taking off.  I made a loaf of sourdough bread with basil and parmesan cheese added.  It's too soon to cut into it, we shall see!  It looks pretty, hopefully it tastes good!  I need to go for a walk, have a good afternoon. K

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Bodo, the town and the military air base on the top! It is the capital of Norland County and can be found just north of the Artic Circle. Not too many cruise lines offer it as a stop however, Norwegian coastal ferry service/cruise line Hurtigruten does on it northbound and southbound routes on both Kong Harald and Nordkapp

undefined

Two shots of Bodo hovedflystasjon / Bodo Military Air Station

Two_F-16_at_Bod%C3%B8_Main_Air_Station.jpg

F-5A_RNoAF_Bodo_1982.jpeg

Hurtigruten ASA (Norway) - Kong Harald.jpg

Hurtigruten ASA (Norway) - Nordkapp.jpg

Thanks for the pictures from Bodo, John.

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Lenda I hope to cruise with you some day too!  (but I'm sure Gerry @ger_77 would rather that Maurice sails with her). 😉😁

Carolyn, I'm sure you are correct.  I'd love to sail with you and your DH, and also with Gerry and Maurice.  This is what happens when you're trying to do two things at once.  I definitely don't want to start mate swapping on The Daily.  😁  I wish there was a "foot in mouth" meme.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

30 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

.   I wish there was a "foot in mouth" meme.

Lenda

Your wish is my command - take your pic 😂 

IMG_2518.jpeg.3b69aee97cdf76eacf86b15b5bce7089.jpeg

IMG_2517.jpeg.20cb72156190b48d5258e3610d01d017.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 22

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've never tried yoga, but would try senior yoga, lol. I'll support making music. Litha is also known as Midsummer's Night. I haven't touched my piano in years, sadly. Good quote. I'll pass on the meal (not an eggplant fan), the drink sounds good but deadly, and pass on the wine. I haven't been to Bodo. A good day in US history. 

Hot out there! 94F with a heat index of 100. I've been running around in this heat. First I had a dental appointment. Had an old silver filling drilled out and a new one put in, as food was getting trapped between that tooth and another. Then off to Quest lab to get the missing lipid panel. Then to PT, where it was not very cool. I'd had not much to drink and nothing to eat until now. I will take ice water and a towel to PT next time. And I'm having to medicate more for my injection site itching and hives; hence my late posting this AM as the Benadryl had me sleeping longer.

This weekend there will be a groundbreaking at the Tree of Life Synagogue, which was the site of the horrible anti semitic mass shooting in 2018. It was torn down, except for a small area, and the new building will also have a memorial garden and an antisemitism museum. 

@StLouisCruisers :I'm sorry to hear your stomach is still a problem. 

@MISTER 67 I saw a little of that game and the salute to Willie Mays.

@LambKnuckles Thanks for sharing your memories on this bittersweet Anniversary day.

@kazu Your peonies are beautiful. I hope the foot nurse has something helpful to add. 

@smitty34877 I know it's helping to have your DB there. I'm sorry Tana had a bad night and still has a fever. Prayers for her.

@marshhawk I'm glad you'll get some time off over the 4th of July holiday. Good luck with all of DH's appointments before and after his surgery.

@bdrcole Welcome back! Thanks for the photos from Bodo.

@ger_77 Good thing DH checked himself after walking in the countryside yesterday. I had to laugh at your giggling.

@RMLincoln I'm glad the weather helped the fire some, and I saw that runoff in the scarred areas. Some gentle rain there would be great.

@Haljo1935 Good luck with the heat pump repair; ugh on the all day window. Your scan experience reminds me of my MRI of the back, when my leg was so painful when I laid down. I was moaning in the machine, from the pain.

@luvteaching It sounds like you had a good day with your DM.

@bennybear Wow on those lobsters.

@Copper10-8 Thanks for the memes and the photos from Bodo.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

I definitely don't want to start mate swapping on The Daily. 

No, wait until they put a picture of a pineapple on the stateroom door.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

A thunderstorm has just passed through: lots of noise and wind, not much rain, but the temperature dropped 20°.

I was starting to cook meat for dinner when I noticed that there was a dairy pan in the sink. It's a fundamental of kosher cooking that these two never meet. The pan has now been washed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu @XBGuy The wine sounds intriguing to me also.

I’m wondering if it might be a good choice for one who is very prone to “feline factor”?

Apologies, @TiogaCruiser.  I have no idea what you are asking.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Apologies, @TiogaCruiser.  I have no idea what you are asking.

I’m sorry😇 I should have referred to the wine of the day. I’m unfamiliar with Semillón, and I’m wondering if it might be a possible choice for someone who senses “feline factor” in many white wines (so doesn’t enjoy them). (Especially Sauvignon Blanc. ( I don’t remember the polite chemical name of the substance.)

(I found it at NapaCabs in Upland and it’s in my cart with several reds suggested on the Daily.)

From Cat Shepherd’s notes below: 

El Enemigo 2020 Semillón (Agrelo)

When I think of Argentina’s wines - I think of Malbec. But this past week, I had a lovely Cabernet Franc from Argentina & now a Semillón! I definitely would like to try it. Fairly easy to find, not too expensive & three critics give it  a score between 92 & 95. Online prices start at $21.89.

Distributor’s notes

Although Cabernet Franc is the star of Bodega Aleanna, in Mendoza (Argentina), the truth is that this project, whose wines are known as El Enemigo, is more focused on showcasing the terroir than the variety. So, although their Gran Enemigo Single Vineyard Gualtallary 2013 was the first Argentine wine to be awarded the coveted 100 Parker points, there are many other wines being made in its shadow. One of the lesser known, but equally stupendous wines is El Enemigo Semillón. This wine unfortunately goes unnoticed among the great award winners but, nevertheless, has its own talents. Although Argentine white wines are not as acclaimed as its reds, this small production of just a few bottles dazzles with its texture, freshness and elegance.

Its creators, Alejandro Vigil (Catena Zapata’s master winemaker) and Adrianna Catena (daughter of the driving force behind modern wine in Argentina, Nicolás Catena Zapata), are focused on the idea of rescuing some of the ancient Argentine winemaking techniques that have been forgotten over time, and on giving value to abandoned terroirs in the Mendoza region. Their El Enemigo Semillón comes from high-altitude vineyards in the municipality of Agrelo (Luján de Cuyo) and is made from Semillón grapes that are cultivated using respectful agriculture and limited yields. Once the grapes reach the winery, they are selected, destemmed and gently pressed, and the resulting must is fermented with native yeasts. The wine is then aged for 15 months in French oak barrels, with 20% under a yeast cap.

With El Enemigo Semillon, this creative duo fuses Old World winemaking traditions with the soul of the New World. A wonderful way to bring light and power to Argentine whitewine.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, it's a sunny day, temperature  11 C.

Yesterdsy was the shortest day, now we head to spring and summer.

Thanks for the HAL Fleet report and all the daily news.

Have not posted for a few days but have been reading.

@kazu  sincerely hope that the nurse was able to be of assistance to help you, and thanks for sharing the photos of your beautiful Peonies

• Like 16

13 hours ago, bdrcole said:
It has been awhile since I posted on the Daily and I do not think that many of the mainstream cruise lines stop in Bodo, Norway
We were in Bobo in August 2023 on our 16 Night Intensive Cruise on the Azamara Journey.  I walked around the town and unfortunately it was on Sunday and most everything was closed for the day except for some coffee shops.  It was a typical Norwegian town where everything was spotless and the locals I spoke to were very friendly.
The first picture shows the itinerary so you can see where Bodo is located followed by the sail in, the town and the sail away. I added a couple of pics for the garden club.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.JPEG

IMG_2432.JPEG

IMG_2434.JPEG

IMG_2439.JPEG

IMG_2443.JPEG

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

I'm very late to the party today, but I was glad to see your post with pics from Bodo.  The N Statendam was there last month and the Rotterdam followed two weeks later.  We enjoyed our port call there on the NS, although it is no Gerainger or Flam.  With Norway limiting or stopping cruise ships from entering the more scenic fjords, other coastal cities will now be added to the itineraries.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

It takes me all day to read a little and go do something, and read a little and go do something, even when I only worked an hour and a half. I know I said I would take Fridays off, and I had a note, Friday off, but someone asked me to call them on Friday Morning, and I set it up for 2 hours and added a couple more call backs.  Thing is when someone says, can you call me back on....what they are really saying is I'll be visiting my great aunt in deepest darkest Peru (Paddington) and they will never answer.  But I ended up making two new friends, and someone actually bought the whole season at price level A, so Yay! 1650.00...33.00 in commision.  It all helps.

DH and I went to Thai of Northlake for lunch.  We had eaten there years ago, and could not remember why we have never been back. Price!  But they had white table cloths.  And the food was really good.    They charged us the lunch price, but fed us the dinner portions.  Cool.

Several of you asked how the eye was today, it still burns in the area where the flea meds splashed.  

Well I thought all the babies did well last night, but my Quiffy hasn't left the chair all day.  Wouldn't eat or drink. I got one of those kitty treat gels (they look like pudding) and gave her 2/3 of a packet a half hour ago.  She ate!  Now I have really spoiled my baby and will have to buy more tomorrow.  And work 6 hours. Its so odd, that Friday night is the night I can go to bed before midnight.

I talked with Dan tonight, our mutual friend who put off going to see the docs has just hours left.  Dan spent 3 days down in NJ at the friends house, but the friend is in the hospital.  He said that over the 3 days, several doctors and neighbors came in and just sat with Don.  The wife was even allowed to bring in the dog to see "Daddy".  The wife and hubby have been separated but not divorced for 4 years.  But she did good, she came back to take care of him at the end. 

I'm not being greedy, but if you are having rain, could you please send it to central Georgia when you are done with it?  Thanks.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m sorry😇 I should have referred to the wine of the day. I’m unfamiliar with Semillón, and I’m wondering if it might be a possible choice for someone who senses “feline factor” in many white wines (so doesn’t enjoy them). (Especially Sauvignon Blanc. ( I don’t remember the polite chemical name of the substance.)

(I found it at NapaCabs in Upland and it’s in my cart with several reds suggested on the Daily.)

From Cat Shepherd’s notes below: 

El Enemigo 2020 Semillón (Agrelo)

When I think of Argentina’s wines - I think of Malbec. But this past week, I had a lovely Cabernet Franc from Argentina & now a Semillón! I definitely would like to try it. Fairly easy to find, not too expensive & three critics give it  a score between 92 & 95. Online prices start at $21.89.

Distributor’s notes

Although Cabernet Franc is the star of Bodega Aleanna, in Mendoza (Argentina), the truth is that this project, whose wines are known as El Enemigo, is more focused on showcasing the terroir than the variety. So, although their Gran Enemigo Single Vineyard Gualtallary 2013 was the first Argentine wine to be awarded the coveted 100 Parker points, there are many other wines being made in its shadow. One of the lesser known, but equally stupendous wines is El Enemigo Semillón. This wine unfortunately goes unnoticed among the great award winners but, nevertheless, has its own talents. Although Argentine white wines are not as acclaimed as its reds, this small production of just a few bottles dazzles with its texture, freshness and elegance.

Its creators, Alejandro Vigil (Catena Zapata’s master winemaker) and Adrianna Catena (daughter of the driving force behind modern wine in Argentina, Nicolás Catena Zapata), are focused on the idea of rescuing some of the ancient Argentine winemaking techniques that have been forgotten over time, and on giving value to abandoned terroirs in the Mendoza region. Their El Enemigo Semillón comes from high-altitude vineyards in the municipality of Agrelo (Luján de Cuyo) and is made from Semillón grapes that are cultivated using respectful agriculture and limited yields. Once the grapes reach the winery, they are selected, destemmed and gently pressed, and the resulting must is fermented with native yeasts. The wine is then aged for 15 months in French oak barrels, with 20% under a yeast cap.

With El Enemigo Semillon, this creative duo fuses Old World winemaking traditions with the soul of the New World. A wonderful way to bring light and power to Argentine whitewine.

ROFL.

Oh, now I know what you mean.  That trait is particularly noticeable in New Zealand SBs.  I've never noticed it in SBs from California or France, but, then again, I do not drink that many white wines.

I really don't know the Enemigo, but my experience with California Semillon varietal bottlings give me confidence to say that you you don't have to worry.  I find California Semillon to be less fruity and less herbal than Sauvignon Blanc.  I find it to be a very refreshing wine.  In France, Semillon is usually blended with Sauvignon Blanc.  Some excellent examples come from the Entre-deux-Mers area of the Bordeaux. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Oh, now I know what you mean.  That trait is particularly noticeable in New Zealand SBs.  I've never noticed it in SBs from California or France, but, then again, I do not drink that many white wines.

The usual term for it is not nearly so polite. It comes from thiols that develop during fermentation, and while it's characteristic of Sauvignon Blanc, it doesn't develop uniformly. Some also have a green-pepper or grass character from pyrazines. They may be more noticeable because SB is typically unoaked, so they don't have the competition. Not everyone is equally sensitive to it, either, or it may come across more as sulfurous. I rarely notice it, but I'm immediately aware of any barnyard character in red wines. In polite society that might be called "blackcurrant."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@XBGuy @kochleffel

Thanks, guys. I’m making note of the chemical class, and did some digging in google. And I think God gave me extra thiol sensors. I taste it in a lot of white wines and champagnes. (Will have to get up the courage to try a California SB).

When I worked in an office with a 2000sf “cube farm” I knew instantly when someone had a guava in their lunch. As far as gas leaks, I’ve sniffed out several. Dad has referred to me as his “Beagle”. 😏 Twice in the past 10 years SoCal Gas dug up our street in the middle of the night after calling it in.😇

• Like 7