The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 21st, 2024

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

...Did anyone else catch the baseball game from Rickwood Stadium in Birmingham last night that honored the Negro Baseball League and especially Willie Mays who played in that stadium a couple of years, quite a night with some great interviews and memories of those years while not forgetting the injustice that Black ballplayers faced while playing baseball in the Deep South in both the Negro League and in the regular Minor Leagues.

We thought they did a great job - well done and respectful. 

• Like 21

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Its sunny and warm, and going to get hotter in hotlanta, but my computer wants to give me baseball information, not the temps this morning..wait! 73! What worries me, is that it hasnt rained here in more than two weeks, and we are desperate! 

The kittens all survived their first night in the house, I did leave the porch door cracked a bit so that they could,  if they forgot where the litter boxes were in the house, get to theirs. I went to bed last night with the kittens and Munchkin romping around in the den, and the "boys" were out on the porch, Tazi slept between DH  and I, and I slept for a whole 4 hours in a row!  I think what happens is that my brain thinks about all it has to do in 24 hours, and just adds something new to the calendar and that is what wakes me up.  That and the fact that I always have the responsibility of making sure I am up to walk the darn dog. 

You know that feeling when you are almost asleep, and you think dream that you are falling and it wakes you up?  Sort of like a full body twitch?  Well I used to do that, and now I just have a brain twitch, I am almost asleep and I hear a loud crash.  It took a while to figure out that the crash was my brain making the noise.

I got a text from my boss, that we will be closed from July 4th through the 7th. DH found out his next surgery is on the 12th, and there are appointments with doctors pretty much every day from next Monday to the 15th.  Hours will be a bit short for me for the next two weeks.

I like eggplant, when it is baked in tomato sauce and smothered  in cheese.  I also like Thai eggplant, but not many restaurants use it. 

Between shifts yesterday I ordered our Atlanta Master Chorale season tickets, I made dinner, salmon,  baked squash and asparagus with Hollandaise and I reserved our hotel rooms for the first night of our journey.  We are going to stop in Gainesville FL, on the first night, and stop at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens on the way to Cedar Key.

Charles and Ann,  our traveling friends, are going to stop in Tallahassee and stay with Ann's sister on the way down, and meet up with us at Firefly. 

I am so looking forward to this vacation, I know I need it, each of us in our own little cottage that backs up to a swamp.  The travelers have recently been asking me about alligators and snakes.  Hmmmm. 

bf9242fe410d75e98ebe7923c5025eed.jpg

314a3b959a7311a0e51671cb50793113.png

63f71775df202.jpeg

dcd6b943b8ac103730d31e284c8117dc.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@kazuThose flowers are beautiful!  I do hope that the nurse can do something for you, and I agree with @dfish its been going on for far too long. ( I personally would sue the salon, but I hope that you let then know the problems they caused!)

@LambKnuckles I don't eat lamb either.  How can I , when I grew up with Lambchops.  Sherry Lewis took a food source from me. Thank goodness I never saw a "beef" puppet. I liked the story of your Howard. A determined man, and I hope your years with him were filled with joy.

@smitty34877I am sorry that Tana is not being able to beat this fever.  I know that nurses come, but is there a doctor that comes to see her, knowing how difficult it is to get her out and about?

I worry about you and all the responsibilities that you handle every day.  I am so glad you are getting the extra help this weekend.  Your family sounds so grounded.  Hoping the grandson is enjoying his summer job.  Hugs being sent your way.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

It has been awhile since I posted on the Daily and I do not think that many of the mainstream cruise lines stop in Bodo, Norway
We were in Bobo in August 2023 on our 16 Night Intensive Cruise on the Azamara Journey.  I walked around the town and unfortunately it was on Sunday and most everything was closed for the day except for some coffee shops.  It was a typical Norwegian town where everything was spotless and the locals I spoke to were very friendly.
The first picture shows the itinerary so you can see where Bodo is located followed by the sail in, the town and the sail away. I added a couple of pics for the garden club.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.JPEG

IMG_2432.JPEG

IMG_2434.JPEG

IMG_2439.JPEG

IMG_2443.JPEG

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2460.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kazu Jacqui, I hope the foot nurse can come up with something that will help.  This foot has been a problem for too long now.

+1 @kazu I was just thinking this exact thing as I was looking at your beautiful peonies.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas.  It is 76F and feels like 76F with 96% humidity and a dew point of 75F.  Our predicted high is 91F with clouds building beginning in about an hour, but no rain in the forecast.  There's not much on the agenda unless we take DH's phone to Waco to have the screen saver replaced.  At least, the girl in the shop told DH it sounded like the screen saver.

Three good days, but I do not do yoga.  Litha day is interesting, and the best way for me to make music is to turn on the radio.  Five years of piano lessons did not work.

An interesting quote by Mahatma Gandhi, and one I'll need to think about a bit more.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try the wine.

I had not heard about Bodo, Norway, before.  I checked it out on Google Maps, and it is very far north in Norway.

A good day in 1788 when the U. S. Constitution was ratified by NH.  Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution, thus the states nickname "The First State".

@MISTER 67  We watched part of the game last night, and it was interesting.  I wish most baseball stadiums were smaller and more intimate like Richwood Field.

@ottahand7  Nancy safe travels and a fun time celebrating John's birthday.  Please wish him (again) a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us.  I hope it doesn't rain too much or too hard.

@Lady Hudson  Welcome home, Katherine.

@LambKnuckles  Lambie, I hope your wonderful memories of your time with Howard make today a good day.  Thanks for the interesting story of Howard's persistence.

@aliaschief  Good luck on the eye exam, Bruce.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the foot nurse has some answers and a plan to help the foot heal and become pain free.  Your peonies are beautiful.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry Tana had a long night and still has the fever.  I hope she feels better soon.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad your DH has a date for his next leg surgery.  Good news that the kittens had a good night in the house, and the senior cats are not causing them problems.  How is the eye this morning?

@bdrcole Thank you for the pictures of Bodo.  I would enjoy walking around that lovely town.

412910972_7020280341363549_6318010201463858824_n.jpg.af56575b5ed2d193ff17c0716d4f65be.jpg

393176879_1519865412201668_1567032104579401887_n.jpg.090c453765215000afc61ddcf6265ccb.jpg

402054021_733727168786302_6966173875306043277_n.jpg.8fb45df191e5d35bbc0a71a6f70333e4.jpg

409175994_6971116819681812_2873403024466921470_n.jpg.7eda745a609a5fedeabd49c7e15d8696.jpg

413032635_387101167065218_1670687089124678721_n.jpg.717192fb1d81079a94a46daa05c9f802.jpg

406392950_835333078594904_8906765610470057502_n.jpg.5b28e8a0d47fb7165a6dc935d9910eda.jpg

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  So many people are involved with yoga these days, you see many carrying mats at lunch time downtown.  Had to look up Litha, and around here every day is make music day.  Interesting quote.  It's also National Indigenous Peoples Day in Canada, so I'll be wearing my orange shirt today because "Every Child Matters."

The sun is shining this morning but according to the forecast we could end up with thundershowers this afternoon.  I'm seriously happy we don't have a garden, because I don't think there's been enough sun and heat to promote adequate plant growth.  The good thing though is I haven't had to water the potted plants in the yard this year.  Yesterday our lawn guy came and because of the fertilizer, it looked like he should have baled the cutting.  Normally he just mulches it so it protects the roots, but yesterday he had to rake the entire lawn when he finished the cutting.  

DH had a nice time yesterday with his son and friends, spending the day in the countryside looking at the various historical sites.  Unfortunately on his return, after checking himself he called to me "Ger, can you look at this?"  Sure enough, he had a tick that was already trying to burrow into his inner upper thigh.  First I sprayed it with alcohol, then used a "tick key" to help dislodge the little sucker.  Then I had to use a magnifying glass to be sure the mouth part wasn't still attached.  That set me into a fit of giggles, because if anyone had seen what I was doing, well . . . . . . . 

Not much on our agenda today, but one thing I want to do is head over to a store called Saskatchewan Made Marketplace so we can pick up something made locally to bring for our DS's in-laws coming from Japan.  They always bring gifts, so we bring something local that they could associate with both our province and country.  

@LambKnucklesthank you for telling us about your dear Howard; he sounds like a real sweetheart.  I hope the memories of your time together will bring you some smiles.

@ottahand7is today DH's birthday?  Happy Birthday if it is!!

@smitty34877sorry Tana had a bad night; I do hope her fever breaks soon and she feels somewhat better - it's so hard on you.  Glad the teenager has a summer job; it's good for him in so many ways.

@kazuI hope the foot nurse can help provide some relief for you!

@aliaschiefthinking of you at the eye doctor today.  I've had really good luck ordering glasses online from a company called payne glasses; very inexpensive, yet great glasses.

@marshhawkhow is your eye???

Happy Summer everyone!

I'm going to pass on the drink, the wine, and the meal; 3 for 3, which is unusual!  There's a new little pizza place that opened about a 10 minute drive from here that is getting good reviews, so I think we'll head over there to pick up something hot and cheesy to enjoy at the table on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in the midst of fires, heat domes, and wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

@bdrcole Thanks for the great pix of Bodo!  LOVE the whimsical mural!  

We were in Bodo (pronounced more like Budda…) briefly on our Hurtigruten cruise (part cruise ship, part ferry so it makes several stops each day for deliveries plus a few for visits up to a few hours). 

@LambKnuckles Thanks for sharing your love story with us!  

@smitty34877 I know you’re worried, and tired. Savor what you can, and especially enjoy that special meal with DB. Thanks for checking in with us!  

Hot here again today in north Jersey, but not as horrible as it might be, just low-mid 99s. Our visiting family has a very busy schedule that has me trying to keep up the calendar, glad I’m not trying to keep up with the doings!  But it’s great to be closer to family!  

Update on the New Mexico fires: There are 2 fires threatening Ruidoso NM; moisture from the Gulf of Mexico has taken the inertia out of the fire!  Part of the fire received rain/hail which caused a messy flash flood run. There are 1000 firefighters working during this lull to get firebreaks established that will hold during wind shifts but there’s a lot of rugged terrain thus a lot of perimeter to address. It’s gonna take awhile but overall things are more better than worse!  

Hoping for good news from @kazu!  Thinking of you all!  

Blessings for all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  For our country, your country and the world. 🌎 
Cheers for those celebrating. 🎉
Smooth travels to Nancy and John and all who are away. 
Maureen 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Shoulder was not happy w/the scans yesterday - had to hold my arms overhead during the scans and it was a bit beyond where my shoulder is moving. Ugh

So PT focused on that yesterday afternoon. Ugh

Yay the a/c still works wonderfully in their building so I focused on being cool to distract me from the pain. 

This morning an a/c company called saying they would be here tomorrow to diagnose our heat pump; arrival window is open to close. Really? I'm used to a 2ish hour window, but at least we're on the schedule and a step closer to having a/c.

Thanks @RMLincoln for the updates on the Ruidoso fires.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 26

Good morning, 

We have another day with temps in the low 80's but tomorrow cools down and Sunday has that llquid sunshine in it. 

Had a good trip to see DM yesterday. My friend who came with me considers my mom hers and they have a good time. Mom had her "to-do" list so we accomplished everything. We got her lottery tickets (she cashed in some that paid for the new ones and got cash back so she was smiling), went to the bank, then a stop at the local bakery for scones. I have a cinnamon one and an apple pie one. Other flavors included triple chocolate, peach, lemon blueberry and white chocolate berry. 

We made our way to the cemetery as DM wanted to get my dad's gravestone cleaned off. She can't walk to it and we had a bit of a time finding it. We finally asked a person who was getting a gravesite ready and he knew exactly where Dad was. He remembers my dad from years ago and came and visited with Mom which made her day. Finally done will all that we went to lunch and all had the seafood cannelloni with caesar salad which was delicious. It was in a white sauce and I have enough for dinner tonight along with a salad. 

Today is the pool, some banking and some groceries so not too bad. 

Enjoy your Friday!

Karen

• Like 31

Happy Friday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

Another scorcher today. Sunny and 94. We need rain and none in sight for the foreseeable future. Trying to keep the outside plants watered and alive. 

Early start today with chiropractor and dentist. Now I am home and will relax for a while before finishing up paperwork. That cruise in October is looking mighty good. Only 110 days away. Got the official invitation to my nephews wedding in September. So excited for him. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Friday: Start Late and Leave Early - Lolcats - lol | cat memes | funny ...

• Like 29

Good morning all!

As Karen @luvteaching has said, we're having a beautifully sunny, warm day today.  I have the windows open to let in the cool air but will be closing windows and blinds in a bit to stay cool.

Three good days, I'll pass on the meal (unless the eggplant is left out) 😉 would try the drink and would like the wine if it isn't sweet.  Have not been to the port.  I don't know yet what will be on the dinner table tonight...we should bbq....maybe chicken.

I think the house is as kitty proofed as it will get, we just have one more couch to cover (the double recliner).  In 3 days our lives will change for a month LOL.  DD is so excited about their trip, they haven't taken such a long vacation since the children were born.  DSIL is taking a year sabbatical and it starts the day they're leaving -- very happy for them!

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 24

ScreenShot2024-06-21at08_17_01.png.424c6826f6ec86776cfb8c21b011a824.png

Happy Friday and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I tried yoga and loved it but the lead stopped doing it at the gym I go to and a year later she ended her life; it was a shocker to us all at the gym.  Happy Summer Solstice and in researching Litha, I found it very interesting, though it is a pagan holiday.  All my siblings play an instrument but not me (lessons cost when I was in Catholic school and my siblings went to public school so that got it for free) so I make music in my cooking!  The quote seems disjointed.  I only like eggplant in baba ganoush so I will pass as well as the drink and wine.  Never been to Norway.  Important day in Constitutional history.

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_03_26.png.c2e28fa84f80d3dbefc556c2175b1070.png

Woke up to some humidity (~35%) and it is warm (94F); monsoon season officially started June 15th.  We may get some rain today but it is usually very location dependent.  I remember this one place I lived in Tucson where it was raining (hard) on one side of the street but not on my side.  

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_55_46.thumb.png.7f677fd86b0f554973d7db8397e5f6f1.png

I sat too much yesterday but got so much file cleaning done.  I have so many hard and thumb drives it is ridiculous.  But I parted with so many files from my working days that I will never need again, found a hoard of movies and tv shows I had torrented while overseas, and pictures that I forgot I had.  I am trying to organize everything but this may take a while.  In the meantime, I am working on another old computer I have (a very heavy HP) and it has been updating going on 24 hours and still have some time to go.  I did treat myself to a nice home cooked meal of seared tuna with soy ginger sauce, quinoa, and brown rice.  ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_56_37.thumb.png.845e6e92a0a81988e1f39f5bb7ae7e20.png

Today will much of the same as I am cleaning out a bunch of stuff technology-wise and house-wise.  The starters seem to be doing well.  🤞  Maybe I will just go out to dinner.🤷‍♀️

ScreenShot2024-06-20at11_02_56.thumb.png.58dd9e8a8704e0235cb5fcfbe7e4de31.png

@LambKnuckles Happy Anniversary and I loved reading about your Howard.  ❤️

@kazu @Cruzin Terri @StLouisCruisers I hope all your ailments start to get better

@kazu breathtaking peony pics!! I love pictures of flowers

@ger_77 I have to admit, the picture I had in my mind about the tick made me spit out my coffee because I was laughing!!

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_45_52.thumb.png.a259e701247395238afd24afc735d71b.png

Thoughts for those needing extra help and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all!  Love the quote!  Been doing yoga for a long time. Really helps with flexility and other things, but I do a very gentle restorative one.  

Well we were half packed up to head to the RV and then sigh a funnel cloud warning for later today,   Sigh!  There was a tornado very near  there a few weeks ago, so not willing to chance it.   Good news our water should be back to normal in another couple of weeks just in time for our big rodeo. 

@smitty34877  so sorry to hear that Tana is not well.  I’m sure you are making your world a better place, and that’s all any of us can really do,  I am too the same generation and snuck outside a concert to hear many of the greats, Janis Joplin and I swear Hendrix,  but it may have been the lemon gin back in the day. 

@LambKnuckles loved that Howard persevered and you had many years together,  hope those great memories help comfort you today.  
@ger_77 you tell the best stories, and I too giggled!  Glad you caught the  little devil! 
@kazu it’s your turn for some improvement!  Soon I hope!  Your peonies are incredible!  Ours are still just in bud but it’s been cool, but that’s about to change. 

30 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu @XBGuy The wine sounds intriguing to me also.

I’m wondering if it might be a good choice for one who is very prone to “feline factor”?

inquiring minds ….

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

@ger_77i giggled at your giggling. 😂

I giggled too! 

49 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

We have another day with temps in the low 80's but tomorrow cools down and Sunday has that llquid sunshine in it. 

Had a good trip to see DM yesterday. My friend who came with me considers my mom hers and they have a good time. Mom had her "to-do" list so we accomplished everything. We got her lottery tickets (she cashed in some that paid for the new ones and got cash back so she was smiling), went to the bank, then a stop at the local bakery for scones. I have a cinnamon one and an apple pie one. Other flavors included triple chocolate, peach, lemon blueberry and white chocolate berry. 

We made our way to the cemetery as DM wanted to get my dad's gravestone cleaned off. She can't walk to it and we had a bit of a time finding it. We finally asked a person who was getting a gravesite ready and he knew exactly where Dad was. He remembers my dad from years ago and came and visited with Mom which made her day. Finally done will all that we went to lunch and all had the seafood cannelloni with caesar salad which was delicious. It was in a white sauce and I have enough for dinner tonight along with a salad. 

Enjoy your Friday!

Karen

Ooh, now you make me want to go to Cobs!  Love that your mom is still so active.  We visited my dear aunt who lives near you who will be 100 next week.   She is still great, but not the same as even a few years ago. 

Still recovering from  the 12 pounds of  lobster three of us shared!  I am thinking I should make bisque with the leftovers, but this prairie girl may need help.  I love how they were packed, with frozen chopped up bags of carrots to make it airline compatible.  Great that we have some direct flights to the maritimes! 

IMG_4723.png

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily. Three great days to celebrate although I don’t personally relate to any of them..

Interesting quote by Gandhi.

I have not .been to Bodo

A great day in American  history,.

I’ll pass on today’s meal.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, and Crispy Country-Style Buttermiilk Chicken, my embarkation lunch on MS Prinsendam May20, 2015.                

It is hot today but I got out for my errands (Mall walk and Wegmans) just after 7and was back about 9:15.  Today is trash pickup day and I usually roll the groceries into the house in the empty trash can but they were late today so I only brought in the things that needed refrigeration or that I need today.  The rest are still in the car and will stay there until tomorrow.  That will actually be hotter but I hope I'm ok for one day in the heat of the day.  Sunday will be even worse but It will just be car-mall-car-church-car-home, and that by noon.

Special wishes for a good nurse visit for Jacqui today.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 27

Good morning. The sun is out just now but the forecast is for showers on and off through the day and we are under a flash flood warning. Guess we will see. I am well back from any flood prone areas. We got good rains last yesterday afternoon and last night so I am happy. And I did get the sprinklers turned off. High today only in the mid-70's.

Little new here.... I am still just trying to get the house reorganized and will be for awhile. Am having fun hauling stuff out to the trash. Dogs say it is all boring and they are sleeping away. With the rains, no one has had the nerve to climb the hill to see what, if anything, is up there - dead or alive. There are some houses on the top and maybe some of those people will wander down as they do sometime.  After the heavy rains last night, no sign of any critters out this morning although Bandit was on the alert while we were walking at 6. That always makes me nervous.

Little else... am looking at various cruises and may make a couple of tentative bookings for the future... it gives me time to decide.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 24

@ottahand7 For John:

Birthdaymen.jpg.ccd70fecd6cbd0cb33dd7a8cd450bb66.jpg

@smitty34877  I'm so sorry that Tana is having such difficulty.  I hope the Hospice nurse can provide some comfort for her.  

@bennybear It is such torture to see those lobsters and not be able to taste them.  Maybe at the end of August in one of our ports....

@Haljo1935 Sorry the shoulder is causing such problems.  My DS Sue has a frozen shoulder as well and is rehabbing on her own.  She's making good progress and has much more mobility than she did before. 

@ger_77 I cannot get the image of the tick out of my head.  What will I do when I meet Maurice?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15

Jacqui @kazu Gorgeous peonies!!  I hope the foot nurse can help.  You're overdue for some improvement!

Terry @smitty34877 I hope Tana's fever breaks soon -- praying.

@bdrcole Thank you for the great photos of Bodo.

Gerry @ger_77 I'm giggling too!  

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 The position you had to have your shoulder for the scans sounds so painful 😞  

Brenda @bennybear Now I'm really jealous.  Janis Joplin was one of my favorites, I would have loved to see/even just hear her live.  Gone too soon. 😞  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

In favor of yoga and music, don't celebrate Litha. BTW, the solstice in North America was yesterday, not today, because of leap year. Hooray for New Hampshire.

I would have to skip the grilled eggplant although I might make something like it with pattypan squash (if/when I get any). The drink doesn't sound appealing. AFAIK there are no producers of Semillon in the Finger Lakes even though it would probably do well; the reason is likely lack of market demand. I'll substitute Hazlitt's Pink Cat, $10.99, made from the Catawba grape, which is a hybrid of Semillon and a native grape. It originated in Virginia where the Semillon parent may have been introduced by Thomas Jefferson, and was the basis of the Finger Lakes wine industry from about 1820 until after Dr. Konstantin Frank began planting vinifera in the 1950s.

eternallygrapefruit.jpg.f936b75dd3ada57b2a29e37e29d28f6d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 11

This morning I'm glad the weather forecast was off a bit, since we still have mostly sunny skies with a few tall, fluffy white clouds.  It is about 85F now, so it is not too bad out yet. 

I've been watching cement trucks drive by the house all morning.  They are pouring a slab for a new house about three lots down from us, and I've lost count of how many loads of cement they've used.   It has to be at least 10 to 12 loads, and it could be even more.  We took a ride to see what was happening, and they have quite a set-up.  The house will take up most of the lot, and with structures on both sides of the lot, the cement trucks had to park partially in the street.  There was another bigger truck parked in the small space in front of the slab that had a tall crane with a hose to get the concrete to the correct places.  There was a hopper on the back where the concrete was dumped.  They also had 10 to 15 workers to smooth the concrete once it was poured.  

I learned that today being the longest day of the year, is National Dachshund Day to honor the longest dogs. 

448946991_10235672325975489_8017952482494936293_n.jpg.ad8ff93229d584bf5cc02186cc2c1975.jpg

I still miss our two dachshunds, Brandy and Nikki, who are now playing on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Dogs.jpg.98c6b7097437e6181d0384946e5143a8.jpg

437660072_756163626627306_3373073995449714543_n.jpg.0737aa636903f1aac9e64b8ee7497658.jpg

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  So many people are involved with yoga these days, you see many carrying mats at lunch time downtown.  Had to look up Litha, and around here every day is make music day.  Interesting quote.  It's also National Indigenous Peoples Day in Canada, so I'll be wearing my orange shirt today because "Every Child Matters."

The sun is shining this morning but according to the forecast we could end up with thundershowers this afternoon.  I'm seriously happy we don't have a garden, because I don't think there's been enough sun and heat to promote adequate plant growth.  The good thing though is I haven't had to water the potted plants in the yard this year.  Yesterday our lawn guy came and because of the fertilizer, it looked like he should have baled the cutting.  Normally he just mulches it so it protects the roots, but yesterday he had to rake the entire lawn when he finished the cutting.  

DH had a nice time yesterday with his son and friends, spending the day in the countryside looking at the various historical sites.  Unfortunately on his return, after checking himself he called to me "Ger, can you look at this?"  Sure enough, he had a tick that was already trying to burrow into his inner upper thigh.  First I sprayed it with alcohol, then used a "tick key" to help dislodge the little sucker.  Then I had to use a magnifying glass to be sure the mouth part wasn't still attached.  That set me into a fit of giggles, because if anyone had seen what I was doing, well . . . . . . . 

Not much on our agenda today, but one thing I want to do is head over to a store called Saskatchewan Made Marketplace so we can pick up something made locally to bring for our DS's in-laws coming from Japan.  They always bring gifts, so we bring something local that they could associate with both our province and country.  

@LambKnucklesthank you for telling us about your dear Howard; he sounds like a real sweetheart.  I hope the memories of your time together will bring you some smiles.

@ottahand7is today DH's birthday?  Happy Birthday if it is!!

@smitty34877sorry Tana had a bad night; I do hope her fever breaks soon and she feels somewhat better - it's so hard on you.  Glad the teenager has a summer job; it's good for him in so many ways.

@kazuI hope the foot nurse can help provide some relief for you!

@aliaschiefthinking of you at the eye doctor today.  I've had really good luck ordering glasses online from a company called payne glasses; very inexpensive, yet great glasses.

@marshhawkhow is your eye???

Happy Summer everyone!

I'm going to pass on the drink, the wine, and the meal; 3 for 3, which is unusual!  There's a new little pizza place that opened about a 10 minute drive from here that is getting good reviews, so I think we'll head over there to pick up something hot and cheesy to enjoy at the table on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in the midst of fires, heat domes, and wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, add me to the list of those who giggled at the word picture you painted about the tick removal.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@bdrcole Thanks for the great pix of Bodo!  LOVE the whimsical mural!  

We were in Bodo (pronounced more like Budda…) briefly on our Hurtigruten cruise (part cruise ship, part ferry so it makes several stops each day for deliveries plus a few for visits up to a few hours). 

@LambKnuckles Thanks for sharing your love story with us!  

@smitty34877 I know you’re worried, and tired. Savor what you can, and especially enjoy that special meal with DB. Thanks for checking in with us!  

Hot here again today in north Jersey, but not as horrible as it might be, just low-mid 99s. Our visiting family has a very busy schedule that has me trying to keep up the calendar, glad I’m not trying to keep up with the doings!  But it’s great to be closer to family!  

Update on the New Mexico fires: There are 2 fires threatening Ruidoso NM; moisture from the Gulf of Mexico has taken the inertia out of the fire!  Part of the fire received rain/hail which caused a messy flash flood run. There are 1000 firefighters working during this lull to get firebreaks established that will hold during wind shifts but there’s a lot of rugged terrain thus a lot of perimeter to address. It’s gonna take awhile but overall things are more better than worse!  

Hoping for good news from @kazu!  Thinking of you all!  

Blessings for all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  For our country, your country and the world. 🌎 
Cheers for those celebrating. 🎉
Smooth travels to Nancy and John and all who are away. 
Maureen 

Maureen, thanks for the update on the NM fires.  We saw some of the footage of the fire damage and the flooding from the rain.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Shoulder was not happy w/the scans yesterday - had to hold my arms overhead during the scans and it was a bit beyond where my shoulder is moving. Ugh

So PT focused on that yesterday afternoon. Ugh

Yay the a/c still works wonderfully in their building so I focused on being cool to distract me from the pain. 

This morning an a/c company called saying they would be here tomorrow to diagnose our heat pump; arrival window is open to close. Really? I'm used to a 2ish hour window, but at least we're on the schedule and a step closer to having a/c.

Thanks @RMLincoln for the updates on the Ruidoso fires.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

Elizabeth, I'm sorry you had to put your arm in such a painful position for the scan.  We've been getting windows for 8 to noon, noon to 6 and even 8 to 5 for service people this year.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Enjoy your Friday!

Karen

Karen, I'm glad everyone enjoyed the day yesterday.  One of my BFFs and I thought of the other's mother as a second mother.  You are very lucky to still have your mother, and one who is still alert and going strong.

56 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

ScreenShot2024-06-21at08_17_01.png.424c6826f6ec86776cfb8c21b011a824.png

Happy Friday and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I tried yoga and loved it but the lead stopped doing it at the gym I go to and a year later she ended her life; it was a shocker to us all at the gym.  Happy Summer Solstice and in researching Litha, I found it very interesting, though it is a pagan holiday.  All my siblings play an instrument but not me (lessons cost when I was in Catholic school and my siblings went to public school so that got it for free) so I make music in my cooking!  The quote seems disjointed.  I only like eggplant in baba ganoush so I will pass as well as the drink and wine.  Never been to Norway.  Important day in Constitutional history.

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_03_26.png.c2e28fa84f80d3dbefc556c2175b1070.png

Woke up to some humidity (~35%) and it is warm (94F); monsoon season officially started June 15th.  We may get some rain today but it is usually very location dependent.  I remember this one place I lived in Tucson where it was raining (hard) on one side of the street but not on my side.  

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_55_46.thumb.png.7f677fd86b0f554973d7db8397e5f6f1.png

I sat too much yesterday but got so much file cleaning done.  I have so many hard and thumb drives it is ridiculous.  But I parted with so many files from my working days that I will never need again, found a hoard of movies and tv shows I had torrented while overseas, and pictures that I forgot I had.  I am trying to organize everything but this may take a while.  In the meantime, I am working on another old computer I have (a very heavy HP) and it has been updating going on 24 hours and still have some time to go.  I did treat myself to a nice home cooked meal of seared tuna with soy ginger sauce, quinoa, and brown rice.  ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_56_37.thumb.png.845e6e92a0a81988e1f39f5bb7ae7e20.png

Today will much of the same as I am cleaning out a bunch of stuff technology-wise and house-wise.  The starters seem to be doing well.  🤞  Maybe I will just go out to dinner.🤷‍♀️

ScreenShot2024-06-20at11_02_56.thumb.png.58dd9e8a8704e0235cb5fcfbe7e4de31.png

@LambKnuckles Happy Anniversary and I loved reading about your Howard.  ❤️

@kazu @Cruzin Terri @StLouisCruisers I hope all your ailments start to get better

@kazu breathtaking peony pics!! I love pictures of flowers

@ger_77 I have to admit, the picture I had in my mind about the tick made me spit out my coffee because I was laughing!!

ScreenShot2024-06-20at10_45_52.thumb.png.a259e701247395238afd24afc735d71b.png

Thoughts for those needing extra help and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

Pennie, I love the Litha Blessing.  It is good for anyone and any religion.

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

@ottahand7 For John:

Birthdaymen.jpg.ccd70fecd6cbd0cb33dd7a8cd450bb66.jpg

@smitty34877  I'm so sorry that Tana is having such difficulty.  I hope the Hospice nurse can provide some comfort for her.  

@bennybear It is such torture to see those lobsters and not be able to taste them.  Maybe at the end of August in one of our ports....

@Haljo1935 Sorry the shoulder is causing such problems.  My DS Sue has a frozen shoulder as well and is rehabbing on her own.  She's making good progress and has much more mobility than she did before. 

@ger_77 I cannot get the image of the tick out of my head.  What will I do when I meet Maurice?

Debbie, I also wonder about meeting Maurice now.

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

In favor of yoga and music, don't celebrate Litha. BTW, the solstice in North America was yesterday, not today, because of leap year. Hooray for New Hampshire.

I would have to skip the grilled eggplant although I might make something like it with pattypan squash (if/when I get any). The drink doesn't sound appealing. AFAIK there are no producers of Semillon in the Finger Lakes even though it would probably do well; the reason is likely lack of market demand. I'll substitute Hazlitt's Pink Cat, $10.99, made from the Catawba grape, which is a hybrid of Semillon and a native grape. It originated in Virginia where the Semillon parent may have been introduced by Thomas Jefferson, and was the basis of the Finger Lakes wine industry from about 1820 until after Dr. Konstantin Frank began planting vinifera in the 1950s.

eternallygrapefruit.jpg.f936b75dd3ada57b2a29e37e29d28f6d.jpg

Paul, thanks for the great autocorrect meme.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1