Riverside Cruises (formerly Crystal) - Debussy

DOJO466

I only heard about them via a cruising friend who was on board earlier this year and was posting a lot of pics and info on Facebook. They were offering a great solo price for '24 cruises so I "rounded" up 3 other friends and the 4 of us are going next April. Sure hope they last that long!!! 🙂

@Coral yes, they have changed their itineraries. Now you have different ports when you combine them.

@CJANDH although ocean cruises have a different pricing model river cruises on the US market are mainly all included (drinks, basic tours...). On the German market we are not used to the all included thing. Some cruise lines have the drinks included. But usually shore tours have to be paid extra (sometimes you can get a discounted package). That´s mainly because in German speaking areas (Germany and Austria) the people just walk off the ship and explore on their own and not everybody is booking a tour. So that´s why I agree the pricing model of Riverside is something you have to get used to as a non German.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

@Coral yes, they have changed their itineraries. Now you have different ports when you combine them.

@CJANDH although ocean cruises have a different pricing model river cruises on the US market are mainly all included (drinks, basic tours...). On the German market we are not used to the all included thing. Some cruise lines have the drinks included. But usually shore tours have to be paid extra (sometimes you can get a discounted package). That´s mainly because in German speaking areas (Germany and Austria) the people just walk off the ship and explore on their own and not everybody is booking a tour. So that´s why I agree the pricing model of Riverside is something you have to get used to as a non German.

steamboats

Exactly. If someone is used to cruising large ships, they are used to having to pay for excursions. For those of us from the US who have river cruised in Europe, we are used to many/most excursions included.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

My question would be, why are they operating the ships with English as the primary language if they are using the German model on what's (not) included? Seems like they don't know what they want to be and wonder if they will ever be successful until they decide.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

My question would be, why are they operating the ships with English as the primary language if they are using the German model on what's (not) included? Seems like they don't know what they want to be and wonder if they will ever be successful until they decide.

I am confused on this as well. As much as I would like to get back on these ships - my questions raise enough flags. 

• Like 1

@Texas Tillie in the beginning their plan was to attract their hotel customers and get people on a river cruise who never have been on a (river) cruise at all. They always wanted to be international with a majority of Germans. That was when they started out in October 2022 when they just had aquired the Mozart. It was challenging as the first cruise was in April 2023 - with a total unkown player on the market with hotel but no river cruise experiences.

Actually there is another German river cruise company - VIVA Cruises. They also cater to an international market. They do have the beverages included but not the tours. They have German and English as languages although most passengers are German.

I think Riverside still has to learn and find their niche. Obviously they´ve learned that their itineraries aren´t doing well as they weren´t really combinable in the beginning. They may learn that they do have to include more if they do want to attract the English speaking luxury market.

steamboats

• Like 3

We have never sailed on a river cruise. The main reason was the fact most are all inclusive. We prefer going on shore and doing our own thing. And since we enjoy spending time off the ships a drink package doesn’t always make sense for us. 

My question is this: what does it matter if Riverside has options? Doesn’t that potentially attract more customers? It’s what finally convinced my DH to actually want to try a river cruise. And while we may add on the drink package and tour excursions the fact that those can be ADDED and are NOT included swayed us to try a river cruise for the first time come September 2025. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

We have never sailed on a river cruise. The main reason was the fact most are all inclusive. We prefer going on shore and doing our own thing. And since we enjoy spending time off the ships a drink package doesn’t always make sense for us. 

My question is this: what does it matter if Riverside has options? Doesn’t that potentially attract more customers? It’s what finally convinced my DH to actually want to try a river cruise. And while we may add on the drink package and tour excursions the fact that those can be ADDED and are NOT included swayed us to try a river cruise for the first time come September 2025. 

Agree. The flexibility is, in my opinion, an advantage for them. But they do need to advertise in the USA. They just aren't on the radar screen for many here.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Agree. The flexibility is, in my opinion, an advantage for them. But they do need to advertise in the USA. They just aren't on the radar screen for many here.

The only way we heard of them is my friend, who happens to be a TA in Canada, is friends with someone that has a connection to Riverside Cruises and they have been talking them up in her office.She's on vacation but I'll ask her if she knows what their plans are when I can in case she knows more 🙂

3 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

I actually don't drink alcohol, so a drink package is not important to me. I am very interested in excursions and when I last looked, the excursion all inconclusive was quite high. I did not see a list (except for this thread on one itinerary) the cost of excursions and what excursions are offered. This is important to me. Plus, when I sail on river cruises, many excursions are included. With Riverside, I seem to be paying a premium and still not have excursions included unless I pay more. I might as well go with Tauck or some other brands that are high end and it is explicit what I have to pay.

I say this after having an amazing experience on the Mozart ship and with the staff when I sailed them under Crystal. So I know what the product looks like and I understand a lot of the staff stayed with Riverside so I know the ship experience would be amazing. It is the excursions (and cost) that I am struggling with. Plus, their website isn't the best and having to put 3 cruises together to get a 10 night cruise. I did look last night and there were some longer tours (finally). I personally would love to be back on their ships again. They need a better website!

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I actually don't drink alcohol, so a drink package is not important to me. I am very interested in excursions and when I last looked, the excursion all inconclusive was quite high. I did not see a list (except for this thread on one itinerary) the cost of excursions and what excursions are offered. This is important to me. Plus, when I sail on river cruises, many excursions are included. With Riverside, I seem to be paying a premium and still not have excursions included unless I pay more. I might as well go with Tauck or some other brands that are high end and it is explicit what I have to pay.

I say this after having an amazing experience on the Mozart ship and with the staff when I sailed them under Crystal. So I know what the product looks like and I understand a lot of the staff stayed with Riverside so I know the ship experience would be amazing. It is the excursions (and cost) that I am struggling with. Plus, their website isn't the best and having to put 3 cruises together to get a 10 night cruise. I did look last night and there were some longer tours (finally). I personally would love to be back on their ships again. They need a better website!

I think you are being a little unfair. Their website allows you to pick a cruise date, river, etc. from a list of cruises. It shows the start stop date and includes cruises made up of multiple shorter legs. Once you see a cruise you are interested in, click on "availability and prices". That will bring up the specific cruise's page. Then scroll over to excursions and click on it. You can then scroll down to all of the shore excursions that are offered on that cruise, with the prices you would pay if booking them independently (and they are not expensive). You can then compare the cost of booking excursions you want individually against the upcharge for "tours included" fare.

It is all very transparent and allows you to make the decision that is right for you.

On my booked 12 day Danube cruise next summer, the all inclusive was a cheaper bet for us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I actually don't drink alcohol, so a drink package is not important to me.

I don't drink much alcohol. However, soft drinks in Europe are frequently more expensive than beer or wine, and might not be included in the basic fare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

I think you are being a little unfair. Their website allows you to pick a cruise date, river, etc. from a list of cruises. It shows the start stop date and includes cruises made up of multiple shorter legs. Once you see a cruise you are interested in, click on "availability and prices". That will bring up the specific cruise's page. Then scroll over to excursions and click on it. You can then scroll down to all of the shore excursions that are offered on that cruise, with the prices you would pay if booking them independently (and they are not expensive). You can then compare the cost of booking excursions you want individually against the upcharge for "tours included" fare.

It is all very transparent and allows you to make the decision that is right for you.

On my booked 12 day Danube cruise next summer, the all inclusive was a cheaper bet for us. 

This is fair. I spent quite a bit of time on their website months ago and this was not there. I still prefer the model that Crystal or Tauck uses. Or I should say most river cruises that target North Americans.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I don't drink much alcohol. However, soft drinks in Europe are frequently more expensive than beer or wine, and might not be included in the basic fare.

From what I can tell soft drinks would be extra if you don't have the beverage package. Maybe someone who has been on board could clarify? 

9 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

It worked to attract you, but their low bookings say it isn't working to attract enough people who think like you.  MSC's new ultra-luxury cruise line Explora Journeys similarly takes the position that they aren't a cruise line, rather a luxury hotel that floats – and similarly they are having trouble filling their ships.  Four Seasons is apparently going this same route with their new ultra-ultra-luxury cruise line.  Maybe when all of them have all their planned ships in the water there will be critical mass to change people's thinking.  But if not, there will be a lot of "luxury hotels on water" taking on water...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@CJANDH the excursions have been added later. For the 2023 cruises the excursions were not listed on the website.

@Ski Mom 2 I do like flexibility too. But... Riverside has to compete with other luxury river cruise lines which are all inclusive. So the price sells... When you pay more for a cruise with Riverside than with - as an example - Uniworld then you may opt for the all inclusive cruise even when you don´t need the included stuff.

That´s just a marketing thing. As I said they´ve learned a lot during their first year and they are still learning.

steamboats

• Like 1

As I’ve said before give Riverside a chance, just because they bought the previous company ‘Crystals’ boats doesn’t mean they have to compete with their style of river cruise content. A couple of seasons should make their style clearer, it may end up being suitable for the American market or it may be more suited to the European market. It will be interesting to see.

On 10/1/2024 at 2:58 PM, CJANDH said:

I am booked for April 2025 on Debussy. I have gone on their website under manage my trip and there are no excursions listed as of yet. I do want to know what is out there so I can make a decision about including them or not.

There are no excursions listed for our September 2025 cruise (no surprise since it’s almost a year out) but the same cruise is going in November 2024 and I’ve looked to see what’s offered at the time to get an idea. 

13 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

There are no excursions listed for our September 2025 cruise (no surprise since it’s almost a year out) but the same cruise is going in November 2024 and I’ve looked to see what’s offered at the time to get an idea. 

I am booked on Mozart in July 2025 and had no problem reviewing and booking my shore excursions.