The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 23rd, 2024

richwmn

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  While the heat wave ended on Friday the humidity has been very high, keeping me using the ac.  Yesterday morning I visited the toy sale run by the cat rescue that all of the kids came from.  It was nice to catch up and update the fosters on how well they are doing.  Then we made a trip to Total Wine and adopted some wine and Bacardi.

This morning’s agenda included a trip to Target since litter is on sale.  Then a trip to Lowes to check out their clearance sale. We picked up a lot and DH has half of them planted.  Both days we dined out so that DH could get some of his birthday treats.

image.thumb.png.a9b1ce356f74431adbe9e5465cef3cd3.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@ger_77 CATs-

there are 4 male strays that have lived on and off in the back yard for about 9 months.  Two of them look like two kittens, and two of the kittens have the same response to people as they do.

There are 4 kittens and the momma aka Munchkin

There are 4 older cats that live in the house, all but one of them wandered into our yard, and hearts and stayed.

So currently feeding 13, with only one kitten being adopted so far.  Truth is, we decided to each keep one (and oddly as they got older they spend more time with each other).  We decided to wait to make a decision about Munchkin, but she loves living inside, so she will become part of the pack.  The problem is Turnip.  We both adore him.  He has no fear.  He loves to be loved on, he gives me five, when I ask, and he is super sweet.  So that would put 8 cats in the house.  And that I believe is enough.  Or as DH says, more than enough. 

We have cut down on our groceries to pay for the cat food.  There is canned food, kitten food, crunchies, kitten crunchies, and treats and toys.  That adds up to over a hundred a week. I was going through 6 cans a meal, but now we have it down to 5. I am buying larger boxes of canned food, larger bags of crunchies.  That has helped.  And soon, we wont need to be buying kitten food in cans at 10 small cans for 9.00 (and that's on sale) Right now, that is the mid afternoon  kittens and mommas snack food.  And now they all want the Temptations!

But, we wouldn't have done it any differently, and they bring us so much joy.

heard_of_cats-header.jpg

Wow, Annie, that is a lot of cats.  I thought we had a lot when we had 5.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute women in engineering. I try to let things go that I can't change. I don't know about and never had Detroit-style pizza. Good quote. The meal sounds interesting. Maybe for the drink and pass on the wine. I haven't transited the Suez Canal, and likely won't get the chance now. 2 good days in history.

It's quite windy here, but still warm at 84F. Possible severe storms this afternoon; we need rain, but not damaging storms. So I got the garbage out early, and will skip recycling this week. I had a lazy day yesterday, reading and watching Euro and US football (soccer). Likely more of the same today.

@rafinmd Happiest of Birthdays Roy!

@StLouisCruisers I hope your stomach is doing well today. Great Suez Canal photos and a very nice one of you. 

@1ANGELCAT Awful to hear about that policeman shot; prayers for him.

@0106 Thanks for the explanation of Detroit pizza.

@Lady Hudson I'm glad you had a nice cruise. Wow, that's a lot of kids on board. Prayers that your friend has a complete recovery from her stroke. 

@kazu I'm sorry to hear your foot is burning. Odd that your auto place was closed. Yay on scoring boxes!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for sharing your canal photos.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're a bit better. Rest as much as you can.

@Nickelpenny So sad about the death of a woman. Here due to the hills, water can rush down onto some streets; there have been deaths in the past. Now one particularly bad road has gates that go down when flooding starts.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, there are a couple of roads that cross the biggest wash in Quartzsite.  They close the gates when the wash is flooding to stop people from entering the wash.  However, the deepest part of one wash is not blocked when there is a lot of rain.  Most people in Q know to stay out of the washes when the water is running.

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Ann!  I looked it up at Total Wine and they don’t have that vintner but do have 3 others, all in the $40-50 range. Too much for me to try it though so I’ll be interested how much your wine shop will charge. 

Thanks Jacqui and Lenda. It’ll dry up eventually. And all the dirt and leaves and debris can be swept up. The pool needs to be cleaned too but we might wait until our pool gets serviced this week. Craig is having a bad bout with his bad back so he isn’t up to doing that. I haven’t checked my herbs yet so hope they aren’t too beat up. 

BTW, I’ve never had Detroit style pizza but have seen it made on TV. Today on Food Network on the show Mary Makes it Easy, Mary Berg is making Detroit pizza. I just love her. 

Sharon, I hope DH's back is better soon.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

changes in management and how things are to handled. What is causing the uproar though is attitude of the majority of the Board members to questions that are being asked and to fact that their hard work seems to be questioned and not valued. A number of things that are being proposed were tried in the past and did not work.... but when a few of the volunteers mentioned this they were told that they don't understand how things work. It is really a case of how the whole shift is being handled although I notice that they did not look back at the financials from the years in the past when these "new" processes were in being used and the store lost a lot of money. Current Board does not think the past should ever be taken into consideration and the volunteers should not be consulted or listened to.  Made it pretty clear to some that they just needed to keep quiet and keep working. The Board needs to mend fences and in a big hurry. 

Susan

Susan, I can understand your frustration with the new board.  We ran into that with our home owners group a few years ago.  They did not want to hear what had happened in the past, and why we had some of the rules we did.  Now, I just keep my mouth shut, which is not always easy for me. 😁

Lenda

• Like 15

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Yep!!!! I am so glad to be gone. I knew there was going to be a problem at the time I came off the Board since I could see and hear the attitude of the new Board members. I have stopped walking dogs.... just make thrift store contributions and donate financially. One current Board member even told me they were on the Board to add to their resume. Not a good attitude. Fortunately I got all the renovations done before leaving. And, when I went off, there was still a good amount of money our accounts. So I left it in very good condition. Several current members feel like we should do away with the thrift store and I think it is driving their agenda. Have not heard of a proposal to bring in more money if that were to happen.

That board sounds like the one I started to get when I left the SPCA tool.  I had the new shelter built and the renovations done and it was running and operational so I decided my work was done and got outta’ there.

I’m glad you made the same decision.  

I have no time for people who are trying to re-invent the wheel and don’t appreciate their volunteers.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Several current members feel like we should do away with the thrift store and I think it is driving their agenda. Have not heard of a proposal to bring in more money if that were to happen.

BT,DT. Twice, as an executive director. In one case it was a large rummage sale, with no plan to replace the income. In the other, it was membership recruitment: new committee wanted to stop the practices that work and do something else that, upgrade the food, that did attract people -- but only freeloaders who never joined (and were never asked to, because actually asking anyone to join was one of the things they stopped doing).

• Like 13

Thank you again for all the new (and old) birthday wishes.  I think my best birthday present was having Paul's mother in church today.  He is still very weak and tired but at least things are stable enough that his regular caregivers can handle the situation.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, superoma said:

@kochleffelthanks for the CKLW mention. Huge connections across the border with that station. And Rosalie Trombley, who became the music director in 1968 put a lot of new and good talent on the air and on the path to success. And Jo Jo Shutty-MacGregor was the first female helicopter traffic/news reporter in North America. CKLW was probably the only Canadian station to give US traffic updates in all of Canada! The radio station of my youth.

I can still hear the CKLW station jingle in my head.  Sort of like the WLS jingle from Chicago.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you again for all the new (and old) birthday wishes.  I think my best birthday present was having Paul's mother in church today.  He is still very weak and tired but at least things are stable enough that his regular caregivers can handle the situation.

Roy

Thanks for the update on Paul, Roy.  I hope his recovery continues without any problems.

3 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

I can still hear the CKLW station jingle in my head.  Sort of like the WLS jingle from Chicago.

Growing up in west Texas, we could get WLS and WWL from New Orleans at night.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

My radio memories are Imis in the Morning, and Cousin Bruce Morrow..  Gads I'm old.

Annie, when DH was station at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ, in 1969 and 1970, we would listen to WABC and Cousin Brucie.  Years later, we'd listen to his radio show on SiriusXM, until he left in 2020 to return to WABC.

Lenda

• Like 6

In the time I'm thinking of, when I was in high school, CKLW was a contemporary hits/top 40 station, playing the same hit songs over and over. When Canadian content requirements took effect, the format had to be altered, which was beneficial to Canadian artists such as Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell. What hurt the station more in the U.S. was the growth of FM broadcasting, especially since Canada, for a while, didn't license FM stations for for popular-music formats.

It was a peculiar case in that CKLW, although broadcasting at 50,000 watts, was a Class B station, not a Class A clear-channel*, and so was required to protect a station in Mexico that was also on 800 AM. That meant switching at nightfall to a strongly directional signal, aimed to the north and east, because AM signals travel so much farther at night. On the other hand, it was not protected from a much more powerful signal on 800 AM from Bonaire, with the result that at night CKLW could sometimes be heard in Scandinavia, but not in relatively nearby places in Indiana where the Bonaire signal overpowered it.

I stopped hearing CKLW much when I started college, even though my college was within range, because most of my friends there were from other places and, as far as they were concerned, there was no decent radio in the Middle West anyway.

In 1984, CKLW gave up on the pop market and switched to a big-band and jazz format, firing almost the entire staff, including Rosalie Trombley, and going automated. In recent times it's had a talk-radio format, with Canadian news but talk shows syndicated from the United States.

*Clear-channel stations were authorized to broadcast at 50,000 watts on a unique frequency to ensure that everywhere in North America would be able to hear at least one radio station 24 hours a day. The idea was that every major city would have one, but only the largest cities got more than one. WOR New York  and WGN Chicago are examples. WJR 760 was the clear-channel station in Detroit. The national following of the Grand Old Opry stems from its being on WSM Nashville, which can be heard over most of the country at night.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

In the time I'm thinking of, when I was in high school, CKLW was a contemporary hits/top 40 station, playing the same hit songs over and over. When Canadian content requirements took effect, the format had to be altered, which was beneficial to Canadian artists such as Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell. What hurt the station more in the U.S. was the growth of FM broadcasting, especially since Canada, for a while, didn't license FM stations for for popular-music formats.

It was a peculiar case in that CKLW, although broadcasting at 50,000 watts, was a Class B station, not a Class A clear-channel*, and so was required to protect a station in Mexico that was also on 800 AM. That meant switching at nightfall to a strongly directional signal, aimed to the north and east, because AM signals travel so much farther at night. On the other hand, it was not protected from a much more powerful signal on 800 AM from Bonaire, with the result that at night CKLW could sometimes be heard in Scandinavia, but not in relatively nearby places in Indiana where the Bonaire signal overpowered it.

I stopped hearing CKLW much when I started college, even though my college was within range, because most of my friends there were from other places and, as far as they were concerned, there was no decent radio in the Middle West anyway.

In 1984, CKLW gave up on the pop market and switched to a big-band and jazz format, firing almost the entire staff, including Rosalie Trombley, and going automated. In recent times it's had a talk-radio format, with Canadian news but talk shows syndicated from the United States.

*Clear-channel stations were authorized to broadcast at 50,000 watts on a unique frequency to ensure that everywhere in North America would be able to hear at least one radio station 24 hours a day. The idea was that every major city would have one, but only the largest cities got more than one. WOR New York  and WGN Chicago are examples. WJR 760 was the clear-channel station in Detroit. The national following of the Grand Old Opry stems from its being on WSM Nashville, which can be heard over most of the country at night.

Oh my - all the radio talk, especially about 50,000 watt Clear Channel stations really takes me back to my childhood and up to my father's passing. He was a disc jockey from his high school days and after getting out of the navy. It was his broadcast career that took our family from Maine to TX. When I went to college in MN, that is how I was able to "talk" with my dad - he was on 6-midnight and since I could pick up his station at night, I would listen to him on the radio and he would say things to me. I would respond back to him in letters (way cheaper than long distance phone calls). ❤️ My dad was also the Music Director so we met an array of amazingly talented people. That station, WRR, was owned by the city of Dallas and was located in Fair Park on the State Fair grounds. It eventually was sold (AM only, FM lives on) and the frequency (1310) assigned to a sports talk station that DH still listens to today. I grew up running around the fair grounds 😎 Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Years later, my dad transitioned from radio to TV, pioneering traffic reports on TV.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning to all and best wishes.  Prayers for those in need.  

I made it home on Friday to this very hot weather.  I sent a nice long post to all of you about my trip with my sister while on the ship but unfortunately it was lost to  cyber space.  We had a near perfect trip with an easy transfer of my place being taken by my brother in law for the second week. Sister Karen stays on.   I am a real fan of the Oasis class on Royal Caribbean.  Lovely cabin and as I am a top tier  member we get to eat in the suite restaurant.  Very nice.  Cabins are wonderful and with more than 1700 kids on board nothing seemed crowded.  I have nothing planned now until December but would like to take DH Bill on a trip this summer.  Searching for a ship that has an accessible cabin available.

I would ask for prayers for a very close friend who suffered a devastating stroke last week.  We have been friends since Bill and I moved to PA in 1975.  I don’t have a lot of details but I know there is some paralysis.   Thank you for your prayers.

Happy Birthday Roy!  I have to go back and read to see how everyone is doing but glad to read that Kazu is infection free.  Best wishes for all.

Have a great Sunday whatever your plans.  Katherine 

Sending prayers 🙏 for your dear friend Katherine.

Hopefully the stroke is not as bad as feared.

• Like 6