Here's my suggestion for a new ship's design inclusion...

chrismch

All ships have pools and most people just sit by the edges and don't swim. It's a short lap anyway. Have the main pool or solarium pool be only 3'6" deep (that's the short end for most community pools) and set up a 30 minute pool aerobics activity. I've participated in them at a local communtiy pool and it's lots of fun.

What ideas would you like to see included in a new ship design update?

• Like 1

have done water aerobics on X..both scheduked or casual with folks met on board..

have also done a few laps in the outdoor pool...go early

dont really need a lap

A real T pool in the spa would be great..like the ones they used to feature

• Like 2

The water aerobics i've attended covered all the shallow water and a bit deeper with people because of their popularity. Those in the deeper 6' water had to wear vests to do the exercise or jus  adjusted the exercise to cover treading water.

1 minute ago, hcat said:

have done water aerobics on X..both scheduked or casual with folks met on board..

dont really need a lap

I love the T-pools on ships. That's something I will alway pay for.

4 minutes ago, chrismch said:

I love the T-pools on ships. That's something I will alway pay for.

Sadly, my favorite T-pools were back on Century class.  One could actually receive a bit of a shoulder / upper back massage from those high volume high velocity downpours.  They've gotten really tame over the years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

dont really need a lap

Yeah T pools.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

DH has a good idea for features on new ships. He thinks it would be great if the slides were re-purposed so that each one ended at a bar. Or more of a “ladder” so you could take the slides between bars!

I am averse to combining "pool/spa/hot tub" and "bars".  Sadly, I think those are more common than ever.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Sadly, my favorite T-pools were back on Century class.  One could actually receive a bit of a shoulder / upper back massage from those high volume high velocity downpours.  They've gotten really tame over the years.

They used to have them on M class too and then they removed them.  I loved them as well, and also the nice iron "benches" you could lay on and relax.  Why they changed that with new builds is beyond me.  I never bother going into the pools anymore since they changed that - too cold for me.

• Like 1

Yes! Create pools with a variable depth starting at 3.5 feet to 4.5 feet. Then run exercise classes. They would be hugely popular. I exercise in the pool several times a week whether at home or on a Celebrity cruise. Water exercise is almost displacing swimming at some pools in my community (only slight exaggeration.) Cruises ships are adding pickle ball. Add exercise classes in shallower pools for the same reason!  Variable depth pool is needed because people are different heights. If you had to pick a single depth: 4 feet works for most. BTW, 3.5 feet is the minimum depth for lap swimming, so lap swimming could still be accommodated.

• Thanks 1

we can get lap pools and pickle ball at home...do not need to take it with us when we cruise

The solarium pool was designed for a bit higher temp..for a nice relaxing float or just a dunk.. Can easily do a few laps in the ourdoor pools on E class if you get there early!

On Ascent, almost every space inside and outdoor was  taken over for sports..Not too many areas for reading or watching the sea!  Care of the mind and spirit are critical..would love to see a nice reading lounge

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This really does not require a new ship update, but ...

I would like to see local food and local wines served on board.  I do not go to Europe to drink NAPA wines ...

Very true 

I guess river cruises are the best for that 

but they are more pricey 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Very true 

I guess river cruises are the best for that 

but they are more pricey 

I think that I have likely paid more for a Celebrity cruise.

When you add in drink packages,  excursions,  Chef's Table, etc.  All of which are included with a river cruise,  I think that Celebrity is more expensive.  Some days you have multiple excursions.

On an Ocean cruise you are on a bus for a longer period of time.

Some of the local wines are less expensive than NAPA wines ...

Edited by NMTraveller

22 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Maybe a high end cigar, and bourbon/whiskey lounge?

You mean Michaels????? ☺️

I do remember the days.

FWIW, Silversea still has such a spot - at least on the Muse class that we've sailed - with the goods for sale.  It's even indoor/outdoor so the weather needn't be a bother.

• Like 1

I go to water aerobics and would far rather have water that is 4' deep. I am tall and honestly, I don't think anyone wants to see me in a bathing suit bouncing around above the water line 🤣

If they decided to remake the pools (and that is not a priority for ME - others are welcome to have a different priority), I think it would make sense to just have pools that are 4' deep so people can stand around with a drink or float a bit. Maybe make the pools 3'6" to 4'6" to accommodate different heights.  Or a lazy river. People seem to just enjoy being in the water. No water polo or games --- they can keep those on other lines where people aren't trying to balance a martini glass while in the pool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I always thought cruise lines should add a continuous lazy river around the perimeter of the ship and have it connect to the main pool

Actually, this would be a great idea! 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Wavedance said:

Yes! Create pools with a variable depth starting at 3.5 feet to 4.5 feet. Then run exercise classes. They would be hugely popular. I exercise in the pool several times a week whether at home or on a Celebrity cruise. Water exercise is almost displacing swimming at some pools in my community (only slight exaggeration.) Cruises ships are adding pickle ball. Add exercise classes in shallower pools for the same reason!  Variable depth pool is needed because people are different heights. If you had to pick a single depth: 4 feet works for most. BTW, 3.5 feet is the minimum depth for lap swimming, so lap swimming could still be accommodated.

The problem with water aerobics classes in public pools is having to listen to the instructor while you're trying to relax by the pool or enjoy the music. Some aren't too loud. Others are like drill sergeants, Honestly, I would find it super annoying. My opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Maybe a high end cigar, and bourbon/whiskey lounge?

Unfortunately, that ship sailed for Celebrity years ago. Royal is also converting or has converted all their Cigars bars into libraries or other venues. 

Definitely the cigar lounge on Silversea was one of the best I've seen. 

I miss cigars. 

• Like 1