Price Difference EU v US

CocoCoucou

Bumping this up as we just tried to book a cruise on Emerald. Can't book through our US travel agent. The quotes between the US and EU prices were nearly double!! I am horrified - we have sailed Celebrity recently and were able to use our US agent and pay US prices. This seems odd and ...illegal to charge one region more just because they are from that region? I'm comparing all in to all in prices.

19 minutes ago, CocoCoucou said:

Bumping this up as we just tried to book a cruise on Emerald. Can't book through our US travel agent. The quotes between the US and EU prices were nearly double!! I am horrified - we have sailed Celebrity recently and were able to use our US agent and pay US prices. This seems odd and ...illegal to charge one region more just because they are from that region? I'm comparing all in to all in prices.

Not always, we've booked cruises in the UK which have been cheaper than booking in the US. Also are you taking into account that UK prices have all taxes & fees included upfront whereas in the US they don't. 

• Like 1

Two things:

1.  Do you expect a TV or car to cost the same in Europe as it does in the US or Canada?

2.  Due to differences in consumer protections between the US and UK, refunds are more available in the UK, so the cruise line covers the possible expense by increasing fares.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newport dave said:

Not always, we've booked cruises in the UK which have been cheaper than booking in the US. Also are you taking into account that UK prices have all taxes & fees included upfront whereas in the US they don't. 

Yes, I factored that in. Not sure it makes a difference, but I'm in EUROs to USD. Was really surprised at the difference for the all-in fare. 

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Two things:

1.  Do you expect a TV or car to cost the same in Europe as it does in the US or Canada?

2.  Due to differences in consumer protections between the US and UK, refunds are more available in the UK, so the cruise line covers the possible expense by increasing fares.

TVs and cars are subject to import duties and are hard goods. As stated above, I'm in Europe, not the UK, so I don't know if UK/US are more similar. Given that hotels don't price differently based on the region the customer is from, I was very surprised to see this for a cruise (without letting the customer choose where they want to book and the associated risk/protection associated with it).

1 hour ago, CocoCoucou said:

Out of nothing more than pure curiosity.  What sail from port was the Emerald cruise?  Did you try to book with your US TA online or by phone?  They told you "no can do"?

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Out of nothing more than pure curiosity.  What sail from port was the Emerald cruise?  Did you try to book with your US TA online or by phone?  They told you "no can do"?

It was a river cruise from Budapest. Tried to book through my US TA, who calls it in. They told the US TA "no way", they need to call number in Europe. I emailed and got a quote 60% higher!

1 minute ago, CocoCoucou said:

It was a river cruise from Budapest. Tried to book through my US TA, who calls it in. They told the US TA "no way", they need to call number in Europe. I emailed and got a quote 60% higher!

I was asking about your problem booking Emerald Princess.  No river cruise on that ship.   Perhaps I misunderstood.   

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I was asking about your problem booking Emerald Princess.  No river cruise on that ship.   Perhaps I misunderstood.   

Emerald river cruise line, not Princess cruise line. But was commenting on this thread for the price differences between US and ex-US.

1 hour ago, newport dave said:

US booked cruises now have all taxes and fees included up front due to a new California law.

Two things that make UK-booked cruises more expensive are the inclusion of gratuities in the base fare since tipping is contrary to British culture, and the cost to the cruise  lines of the additional consumer protections provided by British law.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CocoCoucou said:

Emerald river cruise line, not Princess cruise line. But was commenting on this thread for the price differences between US and ex-US.

Sorry, from the title I thought you were comparing Princess.  Thanks.   

One possible speculation on what you experience might be pure marketing.  It costs a lot more for North Americans to travel to Budapest.  Prices might be adjusted to simply attract North Americans.   Nothing but pure guesswork. 

Edited by ldubs

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

US booked cruises now have all taxes and fees included up front due to a new California law.

Two things that make UK-booked cruises more expensive are the inclusion of gratuities in the base fare since tipping is contrary to British culture, and the cost to the cruise  lines of the additional consumer protections provided by British law.

Have just seen that. We've seen cruises cheaper in the UK before even when taxes & port fees have been added for US Cruise prices. 

1 hour ago, CocoCoucou said:

Can't comment on mainland Europe, but in UK you have a number of factors that cause increased prices - tips are included, prices are inclusive of taxes and fees, unless departure is from a UK port, flights to/from are often included and the superior consumer protection laws cost money.

As with all cruises, pricing varies based on supply and demand. When we booked a Baltic Cruise a few years ago, booking through a UK travel agency was cheaper than a Canadian or US TA, so the UK ones aren't always more expensive.

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Can't comment on mainland Europe, but in UK you have a number of factors that cause increased prices - tips are included, prices are inclusive of taxes and fees, unless departure is from a UK port, flights to/from are often included and the superior consumer protection laws cost money.

As with all cruises, pricing varies based on supply and demand. When we booked a Baltic Cruise a few years ago, booking through a UK travel agency was cheaper than a Canadian or US TA, so the UK ones aren't always more expensive.

I was surprised as it was apples to apples- gratuities, shore excursions, etc. I get supply/demand, but 24 hrs apart?

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Two things:

I think the difference is I would not be blocked buying that TV regardless of where I'm from.       

9 hours ago, CocoCoucou said:

I think your travel agent is doing something wrong because I just booked an Emerald cruise through my California travel agent.  I believe both Emerald and Scenic have a U.S. based office in Miami.  Received the same price as on Emerald's website.

I'm still grappling with the concept of 'bumping' [which BTW is against CC guidelines] post #1...

Also someone from 'Alberta' being forced to book a cruise in the EU.

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm still grappling with the concept of 'bumping' [which BTW is against CC guidelines] post #1...

Also someone from 'Alberta' being forced to book a cruise in the EU.

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy”

Didn't know about bumping. And I was born and raised in Alberta before moving abroad!

• Like 1

You can change the location in your profile.  It sometimes affects the answers to your questions, if we know where you are.  [Country is good enough, so not a privacy issue.]

I am aware of many non-US cruisers who are able to book through US internet travel agents and get our lower fares and TA rebates.  But I am also aware that some cruise lines don't permit this.  I have no idea how to find out which lines allow it and which don't – I assume the US TAs will know.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You can change the location in your profile.  It sometimes affects the answers to your questions, if we know where you are.  [Country is good enough, so not a privacy issue.]

I am aware of many non-US cruisers who are able to book through US internet travel agents and get our lower fares and TA rebates.  But I am also aware that some cruise lines don't permit this.  I have no idea how to find out which lines allow it and which don't – I assume the US TAs will know.

Yeah...this is exactly the issue. I know now that Emerald will not allow a non-US person to book through a US TA. I love my US TA, I have been working with her for almost 20 years! I guess it will just be trial an error as I go through all the cruises haha

8 hours ago, jimmymac613 said:

I think your travel agent is doing something wrong because I just booked an Emerald cruise through my California travel agent.  I believe both Emerald and Scenic have a U.S. based office in Miami.  Received the same price as on Emerald's website.

Yes, my issues is getting the US price in Europe. Those don't match at all (currently and inclusions accounted for).