Assistance at Embarkation/Disembarkation at Pier 91 in Seattle

I am booked with my 14 year old son on the Discovery Princess departing Seattle on 13 July.  Unfortunately, on the 4th of July he fractured his patella and is now in a cast/brace and cannot put any weight on his leg and his leg cannot bend.  Does Princess offer assistance with embarking/disembarking on the ship?  Do they rent wheelchairs?  I am not sure that we will be able to go on our cruise at this point in time but I am trying to gather as much information as possible in order to make a decision.  Since I did not take out trip insurance, I will be out the money paid...so I am really wanting to make this work if I can.  Thanks in advance!    

Princess doesn't, but you can rent from https://scootaround.com/en/cruise-wheelchair-rentals and they have a tent at the dock where you pick up the chair (or scooter) before you board. I'd actually recommend taking a look at their scooters - if it seems like he can use one with his leg straight, I'm sure he'd enjoy that much more than a wheelchair. You could go to a local device store (or even a grocery store) to try a scooter and see if it works for him. The scootaround rental transportable scooter isn't that big and could probably fit in a regular cabin.

You need to speak to his doctor.  My question is can he put his leg backward to use a scooter.  My guess is probably not.  If that is the case a wheelchair will be his only option.  Can he use crutches in a week or two?  Probably, but not in time for your cruise and only for short distances.

Probably too soon to make a decision, but a cruise in a wheelchair with his leg straight would be very challenging and limit and make very difficult all manner of things from the cabin restroom to simply getting through the dining room.

Having memories of a full leg cast with no weight allowed I would definitely speak with Princess as a regular cabin would not work.  It certainly does not hurt to ask what they can do.  Call Monday and speak with a few people.  Ask to reschedule the cruise.  If told no ask someone else and call back.

Thank you both for your insight and previous knowledge!  I will call Princess and see if I can reschedule.  I called yesterday and they told me no because I was past the cancellation window and I didn't take out trip insurance.  So, we either go or essentially pay for a cruise we didn't get to take.  

We just went on the Island Princess from Brooklyn. Princess can give you a list of rental scooters and you can arrange for one ahead of time. Our friend can not walk a step . His scooter was waiting in his accessible cabin. Call and find out if there is one available that you can switch to. Princess met us at the car with a wheel chair and took him to his scooter and the reverse when we left. They were fabulous and helpful in all ways. Don’t give up.

• Like 1

Find someone to take care of your son and either sail solo or take a friend/relative on the cruise. Not ideal I know but, with no insurance, it's a way to not simply lose all the cost of the fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Find someone to take care of your son and either sail solo or take a friend/relative on the cruise. Not ideal I know but, with no insurance, it's a way to not simply lose all the cost of the fare.

Thank you...definitely a good idea!  Being a single mom, it's logistically difficult to pull-off...especially not knowing whether or not he will require surgery and if so, would it be during the cruise dates.  Trying to weigh all of the options now with as much information that I can gather since I don't know how this coming week will go regarding doctor visits and/or future treatment.  

Edited by Spoiltblonde

Posted (edited)

You are dealing with a multitude of issues here that you need to break down.  Considering you don't have insurance, the bottom line is that Princess does not need to be "nice" and accommodate you with postponing your cruise.  You can ask and hope you get a sympathetic ear.

Next, You will need to find a wheel chair/scooter that will fit through a small door opening.  I believe it is less than 22 inches.  Even if you find a collapsible device, will he be able to get from point A to point B until you can open it up again?  Put your name on a wait list for an accessible cabin.

What type of cabin will you have/which ship?  Balcony and below have shower stalls.  You can request a shower stool, but it really is very tight.  Above that is a shower/tub combination.  Will he be able to get over the edge?

You DO NEED to let Princess know that you are traveling with someone who needs assistance or may be denied boarding 

If you get assistance to board, how will he get around the ship?

@Thrak has a good suggestion. Good Luck. 

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

Also...  have you joined/participated in the roll call for this sailing? If you have and can explain the situation, I'm sure there will be others who would gladly lend a helping hand during embarkation and around the ship. I know that I would....

• Like 1

My recommendation is to contact Princess immediately (or have your travel agent do it for you).  I once had an emergency and didn't have trip insurance (which is why I always get it now)...  anywho, it was peak season in the Caribbean and the ship was sold out.  While they did not refund my money, they booked me on a cruise a month later in the same cabin category.  I had to pay a little more, but it was not that much. Obviously they are not required to do this - but they did it anyway.  It's worth a shot...  oh, and ask for a supervisor; the regular call desk agents are in no position to assist.  It goes without saying that you must be kind, beg, and shed a tear or two - never hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoiltblonde said:

Thank you...definitely a good idea!  Being a single mom, it's logistically difficult to pull-off...especially not knowing whether or not he will require surgery and if so, would it be during the cruise dates.  Trying to weigh all of the options now with as much information that I can gather since I don't know how this coming week will go regarding doctor visits and/or future treatment.  

If you are at all afraid he might need surgery during the cruise dates, that should definitely make it a no go.

Great suggestions here.  

First the Dr would have to approve or disapprove.  Get that decision in writing, in case it is requested. 

Secondly, if you booked with a TA/CVP, please reach out to them for assistance with PCL. 

If you’re flying, you’ll need to request a wheelchair for airport use departure and arrival.  You can usually add that to your booking on their website.

Best of luck. Let us know how this turned out for you.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spoiltblonde said:

I am booked with my 14 year old son on the Discovery Princess departing Seattle on 13 July.  Unfortunately, on the 4th of July he fractured his patella and is now in a cast/brace and cannot put any weight on his leg and his leg cannot bend.  Does Princess offer assistance with embarking/disembarking on the ship?  Do they rent wheelchairs?  I am not sure that we will be able to go on our cruise at this point in time but I am trying to gather as much information as possible in order to make a decision.  Since I did not take out trip insurance, I will be out the money paid...so I am really wanting to make this work if I can.  Thanks in advance!    

Is he on crutches now with a Velcro type apparatus from the thigh to below the knee? He must be able to get to himself to the bathroom now. Yes understand,no weight bearing.If patella was not displaced,he will stay in that.( don’t take my word for this)

Yes, Princess has assistance with a wheelchair at the port.Porters will wheel you on & off but, you don’t get use of chair for cruise.

If you need to fly, of course airport porters with wheelchairs.

No Princess does not rent wheelchairs,but they can give you names of places that deliver to the ship & to your cabin. Scooter type or regular fold up wheelchair.

if you have a travel agent, you need to get a hold of them and if you don’t, you need to ask for special services at Princess 800# and let them know , & they should give you what phone numbers that you need to get this accomplished.

There is also a disabled forum under cruise critic- scroll almost all the way to bottom to find,you may find pertinent information there.

As far as cabin, hopefully you have a cabin with a shower and not a bathtub /shower combo?
As long as he feels fine & if you see a doctor & get the ok before you cruise, I would go and enjoy. You & your son will get to know your new normal at home or on a ship, so go enjoy what you are able.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Spoiltblonde said:

From Princess.com website: Special Needs at Sea: 800-513-4515 or 954-585-0575, or visit the Special Needs at Sea website.
Scootaround: 888-441-7575 or 204-982-0657, or visit the Scootaround website.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for such helpful information!  I've made a lot of phone calls today to the airline, to Princess, etc.  Of course, I've called Princess way too many times as I have received different answers for various questions...so much conflicting information from the agents.  For example, one agent told me that wheelchairs were available on the ship with no charge and would be available all 7 days on the Discovery Princess...but obviously, that was VERY incorrect and that a rental would be required by an outside organization!  I've sent an email to the Back Office Support team to see if a future cruise credit may be added to my account to go to Alaska next summer; however, I know that I am not entitled to this and it would only be a good PR move for Princess.   

To answer a couple of questions, we are in a basic inside room on the Lido deck, so it would be a shower versus tub.  

We were going to be doing a road trip after our cruise and thus, we were flying home from the Eugene, OR airport versus Seattle.  Of course, I've cancelled that leg of our trip and airfare is much higher due to late booking with limited options flying out of Seattle after our cruise (plenty of early AM options versus afternoon departures...go figure!).  

I will report back and let everyone know the ending of this situation.  Thanks again for your insightful information!!!    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So glad you are (at least) moving forward and thx for the update.

Shame on the Princess rep who gave you incorrect information.  Please document your calls (get names!) and hold these agents accountable. There is NO excuse for this in today's technical world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You DO NEED to let Princess know that you are traveling with someone who needs assistance or may be denied boarding 

This. There have been recent issues with people being denied boarding because they didn't do the proper paperwork. You can use this link but, If you don't trust embedded links, Google for Princess Mobility Questionnaire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As for what might happen, you might hope that @Ferry_Watcher sees and can provide some information. She doe check in @ the Seattle port including for Princess.

I'm sure she has seen in the past passengers who needed assistance including needing wheel chairs.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this. 

It appears your cruise is sold out so, hopefully you can find a compassionate representative to help you move the cruise to another date.  You may want to try to contact someone in special cabin requests or with the department that handles move over requests.  They may very well be able to resell your cabin and you could possibly receive a refund or a future date where it would be more conducive.  

If not and you still can’t go, your credit card (if you used one) may have some insurance available to you.  Be sure to check with them, just in case.  

I was stuck in one of those full straight leg casts with no weight bearing for 7 weeks after my knee surgery back in 2021.  I used a fold up walker (it had been my dad’s .. tennis balls and all 🤣 ) and was able to get around by hopping on one leg with the help of the walker.  I never could master the crutches.  I’m not a young person and the fold up walker was doable, albeit a bit tiresome.  You can get ice at anytime onboard .. just take lots of zip lock bags and/or take a medical icing machine.  They aren’t that big or cumbersome.  
Although, I don’t imagine many excursions would be possible, there still may be some.  There are a lot of fun events on the ship and you can find a place on deck to just enjoy the gorgeous scenery and wildlife.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First thing you need to do is check with your doctor. If doctor says no, then please listen and don't go. Unfortunately, since you stated you didn't buy insurance, you'll probably be out the money. Rescheduling a cruise is technically cancelling and rebooking, so you would be subject to whatever penalties are offered. You might find a kind CSR who will try to help out, but at this close to the cruise you are probably out of luck. You don't mention, but what was your plan to get to Seattle? If you need to fly, you'll have other issues to worry about.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It sounds like you would need a specialized wheelchair that could keep your son's full leg cast horizontal to the wheelchair seat.  ScootAround is what is available at Pier 91.

The other things to consider is restroom access.  How safe is it for him to navigate a

non-accessible cruise ship bathroom.  There are no grab bars in a typical stateroom bathroom.  Also, there is a small step on many of the cruise ships to get into the bathroom.  You may want to check and see if that is the same for the Discovery Princess.  You will also have to figure out both of your comfort levels using public restroom facilities while on your travels.  I know as a parent you are more than willing to assist as needed, but what are your son's thoughts or concerns?

Then there is the distances from the ship to DT area of the various port-of-calls that you will be visiting.  Pushing a wheelchair is a lot of work.  I know as a Mom you are ready to do anything for your child, but you need to make sure that you don't over do it, and exhaust or injure yourself.  If you are using a bus/motorcoach for an excursion, could he get himself up the stairs, or will you need a motorcoach with a wheelchair lift?

I think I would be inclined to see if Princess would reschedule your cruise.  I know this isn't what you wanted, expected or deserved, but sadly, it might be what you have to do. 

Wishing you both best wishes and a whole bunch of luck. 

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2

This is not meant as a criticism of you, but I hope in the future you buy cruise insurance, a lesson learned. And others should see it as another reminder of the importance of cruise insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

This is not meant as a criticism of you, but I hope in the future you buy cruise insurance, a lesson learned. And others should see it as another reminder of the importance of cruise insurance.

Thank you!  Yes, it is a hard lesson learned.  Glad I booked an inside room versus a balcony or pricier option...ha!  🙂  

• Like 2