Are We Able to Leave the Ship After Boarding on Embarkation Day?

We have an early check in at Ravenna port.  We arrive that morning so we don't have time to explore the city. Also, we will have all of our luggage that we don't want to drag around with us while exploring.

So, are we allowed to disembark the ship once we check in (and of course return before sail time)?  Or, can we check our luggage with a porter then come back to check in?  

Or any other suggestions on what to do with our luggage for a few hours before our check in?

TIA!

12 minutes ago, npeters said:

We have an early check in at Ravenna port.  We arrive that morning so we don't have time to explore the city. Also, we will have all of our luggage that we don't want to drag around with us while exploring.

So, are we allowed to disembark the ship once we check in (and of course return before sail time)?  Or, can we check our luggage with a porter then come back to check in?  

Or any other suggestions on what to do with our luggage for a few hours before our check in?

TIA!

I would call the cruise line and ask because I do not think the above poster is correct.  You definitely can check you bags at the port and then go touring but I know I have read about people getting on the ship and then getting off to do some sightseeing on embarkation day.

• Like 2

I don't know about that specific port but I've boarded a ship in Miami and then disembarked. It wasn't easy though, as the flow of traffic is all set up to go one direction (onto the ship) and it was quite a pain to squeeze along the edges to get out, and I'm a very small person. 

The only reason I had to disembark was because my daughter arrived to the ship late because her flight arrived at a different time, and I had her passport. I checked before boarding the ship to make sure they'd allow me to get off when she arrived though, because if they'd told me I couldn't disembark, I would have waited for her outside. It turned out not to be as easy to do as they made it seem though, so I would just drop your bags and not get on the ship.

Posted (edited)

It may be possible that for some reason you cannot leave the ship in Ravenna, but none that I'm familiar with.  As example, when we sail out of Puerto Rico, we check in early and then leave the ship for the day to sightsee and eat lunch in Old San Juan, and then reboard around dinner time and prior to sail away.  Have done that several times. We have done it in other departure ports, for example, to meet up with other traveling companions.  I would check with the cruise line to confirm.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

No, once you embark, there's no going off the ship. 

If you want to explore, your best bet is to arrive a day early. If it's a closed loop cruise, add a day after disembarkation.

Is this based on direct experience with Ravenna?  I have not heard of that restriction before with other departure ports. (See my prior response).

Sydney, Australia, is the the only port I've been in that once you embark, you cannot leave the ship.  

Ravenna is not that close to the port area.  The center of town is about 8-10 miles from the port.

I'm sure once you are allowed to embark, around 11am, you would be able to disembark and head into town, but you have to check sailaway times, and all-aboard times before you leave the ship.  We were there 2-3 three years ago, and there were not plenty of taxis in town, so I would be concerned about getting back to the ship without pre-arranged taxi.  

47 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It may be possible that for some reason you cannot leave the ship in Ravenna, but none that I'm familiar with.  As example, when we sail out of Puerto Rico, we check in early and then leave the ship for the day to sightsee and eat lunch in Old San Juan, and then reboard around dinner time and prior to sail away.  Have done that several times. We have done it in other departure ports, for example, to meet up with other traveling companions.  I would check with the cruise line to confirm.  

We'll be boarding rhapsody this Sunday and this is our plan (to check in then get back off for a few hours since sailaway isn't until 8 pm). Glad to hear you've done it!

I do wonder about getting from pan am pier into osj....is it just an Uber ride because it looks too far to walk?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We'll be boarding rhapsody this Sunday and this is our plan (to check in then get back off for a few hours since sailaway isn't until 8 pm). Glad to hear you've done it!

I do wonder about getting from pan am pier into osj....is it just an Uber ride because it looks too far to walk?

Too far to walk comfortably IMO.  Uber's are plentiful and are a good option.  Last time we were there he dropped us off in OSJ and picked us back up at a prearranged time.  Worked well.  There is also the cab option.

With the new individual muster through the app with muster station confirmation, do that first so you don't have to worry about it on your return.  Just be sure you are back on board 90 minutes prior to sail away latest. Typically we come back to have dinner on board so that is not an issue.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The OP is asking about Ravenna, not Puerto Rico.  

Understood, but if you look back and re-read the comments, my response to ajtaylor29, to which you are referringwas in response to their comments regarding an upcoming boarding in Puerto Rico and plans to disembark after boarding but prior to departure to go to Old San Juan (osj) while there. 

My first comment addressed the OP, but also referenced our experience in SJ as an example of being able to leave the ship - to which ajtaylor29 ultimately responded to do so with similar plans on their upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Though this seems like reasonable sound advise , I would never feel confident with something like this having received my advise from some random customer service rep. They have been known to mess up on much less important questions. 

To the OP , seems like the easy answer for you is to drop off your bags and go. Much less hassle all around that way for sure .

Cheers

4 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

The OP is asking about Ravenna, not Puerto Rico.  

Understood. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Op asked about Ravenna but the comments also shifted to rc's policy across the fleet.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

If you want to explore, your best bet is to arrive a day early. If it's a closed loop cruise, add a day after disembarkation.

Have never heard of this. 
I have often got off the ship after boarding in Barcelona. 

@npeters how are you arriving at the port?  I see no reason why you cannot leave your luggage and then go back into town. Don’t board the ship.  It is about 7 miles away though but well worth a visit. 
Alternatively why not go straight to Ravenna, store your luggage then catch the RCI shuttle to the port?  
https://www.turismo.ra.it/en/useful-services/luggage-storage/

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, little britain said:

@npeters how are you arriving at the port?  I see no reason why you cannot leave your luggage and then go back into town. Don’t board the ship.  It is about 7 miles away though but well worth a visit. 
Alternatively why not go straight to Ravenna, store your luggage then catch the RCI shuttle to the port?  

One of the reasons for boarding and then leaving the ship is you need to be checked in a certain amount of time before sailaway. If you are delayed getting back to the ship you are at least already checked in and shouldn't be denied reboarding.

13 hours ago, npeters said:

TIA!

You can check your luggage and then come back and check in, but depending on timing, you might not be able to drop it too early and it's not a lot of time to explore normally.  Some restaurants and hotels and/or other businesses will hold luggage for a fee.  Best  way to find that is go to the ports of call boards and ask there as well as google using trip advisor or something similar.

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

One of the reasons for boarding and then leaving the ship is you need to be checked in a certain amount of time before sailaway. If you are delayed getting back to the ship you are at least already checked in and shouldn't be denied reboarding.

They don’t need to physically board the ship. Check in usually closes 90 mins prior to sailing time so al long as they leave them selves enough time to get back from Ravenna. Again why I suggested the RCI shuttle as they will leave the city in good time to bring passengers to the ship. 

13 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Unless things have chat in the past three months this information is incorrect.

We have previously checked in and boarded early in Ravenna ( and have also done so in Venice and Barcelona ) and never had a problem with getting off or re boarding the ship.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

They don’t need to physically board the ship. Check in usually closes 90 mins prior to sailing time so al long as they leave them selves enough time to get back from Ravenna. Again why I suggested the RCI shuttle as they will leave the city in good time to bring passengers to the ship. 

Yes, you don't have to board you just need to check in. I was referring to just dropping off your luggage and then leaving. I feel it is better to complete checkin first.

Not sure if the OP is coming in from Marco Polo or Bologna, or someplace else which may change thoughts.  As I remember, most people arrive at the Ravenna port via bus.  There is a process of unloading the bus and you then taking your luggage through a line up to the drop off area.  It's not like MIA or PE with porters taking your luggage, or getting it from the bus. 

Then there is the issue of going back in town via taxi with limited supply.  You might be able to catch a RC bus back to the Ravenna train station, but I wouldn't count on it.  If you want to see Ravenna - stay there before or after.    

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks for the link! 

Thanks everyone for the advice!  Our plans are pretty set that we arrive in Bologna and leave for Ravenna day of sailing, then leave for Venice after sailing. We'll play it by ear and see if exploring Ravenna before sailing is possible, but good to know we have options!!!