Experiences with dayuse hotels?

I have an upcoming cruise when we'll disembark at Seattle and fly out of SeaTac at 7:00 PM.  We've seen all we need to see in Seattle, so are looking at just heading to the airport and grabbing a daytime hotel room.  We've never done this before.  I found dayuse.com and made a reservation for $99 at a DoubleTree by SeaTac.  Has anybody else done this and have any lessons learned to share?  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EngrJones said:

I have an upcoming cruise when we'll disembark at Seattle and fly out of SeaTac at 7:00 PM.  We've seen all we need to see in Seattle, so are looking at just heading to the airport and grabbing a daytime hotel room.  We've never done this before.  I found dayuse.com and made a reservation for $99 at a DoubleTree by SeaTac.  Has anybody else done this and have any lessons learned to share?  Thanks.

Depending on the airline, their SeaTac lounge may be less expensive than an hotel day room and still have included food, drinks, showers, etc.

• Like 1

We used them for our time between disembarkation and flights from Sydney, it worked perfectly, we had the pool (I always look for a pool) to ourselves. We were able to relax in our room change for the return journey to cold weather etc.

We will probably do the same for our return from Boston in October as we have been there before but I think its too soon yet.

We have used them in Barcelona. The check in staff thought we were there for one night, but once we explained, everything was fine. We were a party of eight, dumped the suitcases in the room and headed out to explore. We were able to use the pool area later on, and even managed ( by sharing towels) to shower before being picked up for our evening flight. 

12 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Haven’t done it in Seattle, but we did in Barbados. It was wonderful. We got a nice room, about 3 hours on the beach, and a clean place to shower and get ready before our flight home. If you have a long day before a flight I highly recommend getting a day room. I have also done it in Miami and again it works great. 

12 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Thank you for posting this, I never knew about this.  Great option.

55 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Thank you for posting this, I never knew about this.  Great option.

Before using this option, double check how soon before the flight the lounge will let you in.  Many lounges limit you to 3 or 4 hours prior to flight time. Also, if you have checked luggage, you typically can't check that in until 3 or 4 hours pior to the flight time. 

13 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Has anybody else done this and have any lessons learned to share?  Thanks.

I'm assuming the checkout is later with that site - but I didn't confirm.  I checked prices in Florida and the site that Captain Kirk promotes was 20% less but checkout is 11am.  I have good luck  requesting late checkouts but occasionally one will say no.

37 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I'm assuming the checkout is later with that site - but I didn't confirm.  I checked prices in Florida and the site that Captain Kirk promotes was 20% less but checkout is 11am.  I have good luck  requesting late checkouts but occasionally one will say no.

With a day pass you don’t have issues with check out times. They are typically between 6 and 7 p.m.

Posted (edited)

So I'm guessing with a day pass the typical 3pm room availability is waived? The only time I've used a day pass was at a resort in the South Pacific.  It allowed use of the pool & beach and included lunch, but no room.

Edited by mnocket

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Before using this option, double check how soon before the flight the lounge will let you in.  Many lounges limit you to 3 or 4 hours prior to flight time. Also, if you have checked luggage, you typically can't check that in until 3 or 4 hours pior to the flight time. 

Even thinking about this for when we drive to port in Florida from Ontario.  Sometimes we drive straight but still need a little break to recharge.  This might work well. 

5 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

It varies by hotel, but the one I booked gives me the room from 9am to 5pm, which is perfect.

Thanks for all of the great responses.  The only website I could find to do this was dayuse.com.  Are there other sites for this?  The particular hotel I booked doesn't allow direct day use booking through their website.

I did a day use in Seattle last year when my flight was 14 hours after my cruise disembarktion. It was a life saver. It gave us a chance to rest, shower get some real food at a restaruant while we waited for the red-eye home. It was much nicer than waiting at the airport.

1 minute ago, Wilma2 said:

I did a day use in Seattle last year when my flight was 14 hours after my cruise disembarktion. It was a life saver. It gave us a chance to rest, shower get some real food at a restaruant while we waited for the red-eye home. It was much nicer than waiting at the airport.

Do you remember which hotel you used?

18 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Do you remember which hotel you used?

It was in the Choice Hotel Chain. I think we paid $65 and it provided transportation from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport. It wasn't in the best part of town--I guess. I was told there was a homeless encampment right behind it, but I never saw it so it wasn't a problem for us. We went to the restaraunt next door and just rested in the room.

The hardest part for us was finding a place that provided transportation because we didn't want to add on the price of an Uber or Taxi.

3 hours ago, EngrJones said:

Thanks for all of the great responses.  The only website I could find to do this was dayuse.com.  Are there other sites for this?  The particular hotel I booked doesn't allow direct day use booking through their website.

I use hotels by day

I’m sure you may already know about this since you have the cruise booked, but just in case you haven’t seen it: the Port of Seattle, specifically, offers a (free) service called PortValet that transfers your luggage directly from the cruise ship to the airport, as long as you’re flying out the same day. It’s checked in for you and you don’t even have to worry about it again until you arrive at your home airport. This way you could just take whatever you need for the day with you in a carryon or tote bag, and not have to worry about dragging all of your luggage along with you all day.

You can arrange this ahead of time on Port of Seattle’s website (as I did), or fill out a form on the ship to sign up for it. 

We took advantage of this service recently when we debarked in Seattle and planned to spend the day in town before our evening flight home. I was slightly skeptical of it, but our luggage did, in fact, make it home. It was wonderful!