Equinox Retreat Amenities, Perk Confirmation?

Posted (edited)

Hi all, looking to possibly update my current reservation to a Sky Suite (from Concierge stateroom – cruise only price) for a 14 day Antarctica cruise.  This is a bucket list, once in lifetime cruise location for my husband and I.  It would be about $8K extra on top of what we have now. It would be 2nd Celebrity cruise, just got off the Beyond and 8 day ABC Islands in an Aqua stateroom.  Trying to see if the extra cost is justified.  Adding the premium drink package for the both of us alone right now is ~$2,600 total.  I know that usually around black Friday the have good sales – like 40-50% off and was hoping to book then.

I have read what I can find, I see the premium drink package and wifi is included but still a few questions.  The Retreat Sundeck, lounge and Luminae is for all suites, correct – not just Royal suites and higher? 

However, you have to be in Royal Suite of higher to get * Unlimited Specialty Dining Package, *Two complimentary bottles of premium spirits or wine, *Personalized minibar stocked daily with water, soda, and beer, Premium in-suite coffee set-up and free daily laundry/pressing?  A Sky suite does not get these perks?

Is there any free laundry, like one or two bags over a 2 week period for Sky suites?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Dd3thomas

• Dd3thomas changed the title to Equinox Retreat Amenities, Perk Confirmation?
Posted (edited)

Your understanding is correct.  Sky Suites have access to Retreat Lounge, Sundeck and Luminae and get Premium Drinks and Premium Wifi 1 device per passenger included in the cruise fare.  There is no laundry included.

The perks you list for Royal Suite and higher are just that and not included with Sky Suites.

Many of the Sky Suites are not in great locations on Equinox as they are under some of the heavy traffic areas of the OceanView Cafe (buffet).  If the budget allows look at Sunset Sky Suites on decks 7-11 if available.  Aqua Sky suites are still under the buffet but under a carpeted area which can be quieter.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 2

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Retreat Deck on Equinox is just a deck - no bar, restaurant, pool, or whirlpool.  I'm not sure if I'm right about this part, but I think you also have to walk up stairs to get to it - which is a problem if you have any disability.  That said, I love Equinox and would sail her anytime in a suite, in fact I am doing that for a B2B in March.

• Like 1

I’ve been in a SS on Beyond and will do again on Millie.  I was in Aqua on Equinox.  I think it’s worth it if your cruise has a lot of sea days, for the Luminae lunch.  But $8000 is a lot for an upgrade.  Aqua is also very nice.  On Eclipse a few months ago we were in Aqua so we had lunch on our 4 sea days in the MDR.

I kind of have buyers remorse on Millie because we have few sea days.  And Aqua prices are pretty low right now.  SS is more than double the Aqua price.  I don’t think we will do SS again.  We’re very happy with Blu and Aqua.

Posted (edited)

The Equinox isn’t going to be like the Beyond.   The Retreat Sun Deck is basically that, a sun deck. The SS have bathtubs with the shower head and it is rather difficult stepping into the tub.   I am fairly flexible and it is a challenge.   Plus you are standing in a slippery tub with a little slope rounding up on the sides.   Not the safest thing to be in a on a ship.   

AQ and CC have shower stalls.  AQ has Blu as their restaurant, open for breakfast and dinner.  

There is a Retreat Lounge on deck 4 or 5 don’t remember.  It is an inside area.   The big draw of the SS is Luminae, extra space, Butler service that we rarely used and emabarkation and disembarkation. 

Is it worth the extra cost?   It is your dollars.   We have sailed many times in a SS on almost every Celebrity ship.  All of our next cruises are in AQ.   Can’t justify the extra cost.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 2

Yes, there are steep stairs to access the Retreat Sun deck on Equinox. I have done sky suites on Equinox several times. No more for us as it is now too expensive. Aqua would be my choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dd3thomas said:

Is there any free laundry, like one or two bags over a 2 week period for Sky suites?

To answer your last question, no, Sky Suites don't have any laundry perks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’ve been in a SS on Beyond and will do again on Millie.  I was in Aqua on Equinox.  I think it’s worth it if your cruise has a lot of sea days, for the Luminae lunch.  

Out of the 15 days, 9 are sea days. It should be beautiful scenery, out of Buenos Aires around Cape Horn, and Schollart Channel, Paradise Bay, Gerlache Straight & Elephant Island Antarctica, then the Falkland Islands.  I thought the retreat sun deck would be great for viewing and pictures, then to have the extra restaurant/lounge areas would help with the 9 days.

On the Beyond, even being bigger, it was hard to get deck chairs if you were not up at 6 am.  We had Aqua on Beyond but only ate at Blu 2 times.  Beyond seems to have way more dining choices.  They had 4 main dining rooms and 8 specialty.  We wanted to try several and still didnt hit them all.

Though adding the retreat dining option would help break give more options.

2 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I’ve been in both an aft Sky Suite and AquaClass on Equinox. I’m booked again in December and chose Aqua. That $8,000 to upgrade could get you another cruise, which is what I’d save it for.

Fair point! 

You could possibly skip drink package, you will have unlimited drinks in indoor retreat including doubles, could carry large glass of wine to Luminae or anywhere you want to go . We love Luminae on M class , not so much on E . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dd3thomas said:

Hi all, looking to possibly update my current reservation to a Sky Suite (from Concierge stateroom – cruise only price) for a 14 day Antarctica cruise.  This is a bucket list, once in lifetime cruise location for my husband and I.  It would be about $8K extra on top of what we have now. It would be 2nd Celebrity cruise, just got off the Beyond and 8 day ABC Islands in an Aqua stateroom.  Trying to see if the extra cost is justified.  Adding the premium drink package for the both of us alone right now is ~$2,600 total.  I know that usually around black Friday the have good sales – like 40-50% off and was hoping to book then.

I have read what I can find, I see the premium drink package and wifi is included but still a few questions.  The Retreat Sundeck, lounge and Luminae is for all suites, correct – not just Royal suites and higher? 

However, you have to be in Royal Suite of higher to get * Unlimited Specialty Dining Package, *Two complimentary bottles of premium spirits or wine, *Personalized minibar stocked daily with water, soda, and beer, Premium in-suite coffee set-up and free daily laundry/pressing?  A Sky suite does not get these perks?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Before you upgrade, make sure you are on a revolutionizized ship or E class.  I looked at your ship you mentioned and while there is a retreat deck, it does not seem to have its own pool, like beyond.

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Before you upgrade, make sure you are on a revolutionizized ship or E class. 

We happen to disagree.  We tend to avoid those that have been reloutionized or hoppenized.  The furniture is uncomfortable and the storage in the Sky Suites is abizmal, except for hanging space.  It's a perfect example of priortizing form over function. 

As for the E-class, we've only sailed on Edge in 2020 and the Retreat Lounge reminded us of a United Club.   We'll take the dark, heavy, comfortable Michael's Club any opportunity we get.  

• Like 8

Before you upgrade, make sure you are on a revolutionizized ship or E class.  I looked at your ship you mentioned and while there is a retreat deck, it does not seem to have its own pool, like beyond.

Only E class has pools. But Luminae is not that good on E class.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

We happen to disagree.  We tend to avoid those that have been reloutionized or hoppenized.  The furniture is uncomfortable and the storage in the Sky Suites is abizmal, except for hanging space.  It's a perfect example of priortizing form over function. 

As for the E-class, we've only sailed on Edge in 2020 and the Retreat Lounge reminded us of a United Club.   We'll take the dark, heavy, comfortable Michael's Club any opportunity we get.  

I would tend to agree. Unless they screwed up the cabins on Equinox during dry dock, I think she's the best of both worlds (minus a bar and water feature on the sun deck). She still has (or had in November) great Sky Suite cabins, abundant storage, didn't have that 6 linear feet of wasted space next to the closet, and by virtue of fewer suites, Luminae is sized appropriately.

I do kind of like the new look of Retreat Lounge on Equinox. Brighter, but still a desk and an actual bar (again, as of November 2023; I'm hoping they didn't mess that up in dry dock). (But I do like the newer United Clubs as well.) Dark and heavy becomes too old English gentleman's clubbish for me. Which I'm OK with when I'm actually in London!

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

I do kind of like the new look of Retreat Lounge on Equinox.

We have not been on the Equinox since 2016 so I am not sure what she looks like now. 

Surprisingly my DW likes Michael's Club as well. 

Some of the updated United Clubs are nice.  I was really impressed by the Polaris Lounge at Dulles in April.  Just wish it was easier to get access to it.  

We have decided that for the price difference the Retreat on a S class and unrevolutionized M class  are not for us.  
The value of the Retreat to me is 1.Retreat Sundeck & bar, 2 Retreat Lounge on E class in the daytime from 7-7 , prioriy everything, Butler Service,  Aqua for us is the best of the Dining rooms.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We have not been on the Equinox since 2016 so I am not sure what she looks like now. 

Surprisingly my DW likes Michael's Club as well. 

Some of the updated United Clubs are nice.  I was really impressed by the Polaris Lounge at Dulles in April.  Just wish it was easier to get access to it.  

Equinox has gone to the "white look". The bar is still there. The chairs are OK for comfort. I didn't dislike the Michael's look, but it did have an old cigar bar look. It's now much brighter. We like it.

Polaris Lounge at Dulles...  Yeah. It's worth getting to the airport early. One of the new clubs at O'Hare reminds me of a smaller version of the Heathrow lounge, without the drink selection. Hoping early purchase pricing of Polaris will go back to something more reasonable, but not holding my breath. And not flying enough for 1K anymore...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

42 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

41 minutes ago, George C said:

This is the conundrum that I've come to hate about Celebrity Retreat. There is no good choice. Every choice is a compromise.

• Like 2

Not having a "pool" on the Retreat sundeck for a cruise to Antarctica doesn't seem to be very important I would think.  Doubt there would be a lot of swimming on that cruise.

On the other hand the OP stated they thought they might be able to get better pictures up there and that's probably correct.

$8000 is a lot of money, but if you can afford it then go for it.  Antarctica is one of those "once in a lifetime" cruises (at least for most people) so why not do it in whatever level of comfort you can afford. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

Now I wonder if I screwed up.  Next year we are doing the Beyond and since it is mine and DH's 30th anniversary (Feb) and my 60th (Jun), we decided since they had the BOGO75 we could splurge this time and get a MC Sky.  

This will be a 3rd Celebrity cruise (Solstice, Edge) and usually the most luxurious we go for is Concierge Class.  The only real perk in that is embarkation lunch, and a nice lounge to wait in until our turn to disembark at the end of the cruise.  Of course we get extra points per night.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Now I wonder if I screwed up.  Next year we are doing the Beyond and since it is mine and DH's 30th anniversary (Feb) and my 60th (Jun), we decided since they had the BOGO75 we could splurge this time and get a MC Sky.  

This will be a 3rd Celebrity cruise (Solstice, Edge) and usually the most luxurious we go for is Concierge Class.  The only real perk in that is embarkation lunch, and a nice lounge to wait in until our turn to disembark at the end of the cruise.  Of course we get extra points per night.

I don’t think you messed up..I really enjoy the retreat deck on E Class ships myself..you sound like you are about the age of my Wife and I. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

I don’t think you screwed up.  Food is subjective and since you will be in a Suite you can dine in Blu on a space available basis, an option you don’t have in Concierge.  Although we book primarily suites we do go to  Blu and the MDR for dinner some evenings.  For use lunch  on sea days, an occasional breakfast (late sleepers so not up in time on sea days) and dinner in Luminae some evening are worth it when coupled with the other Suite benefits.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t think you messed up..I really enjoy the retreat deck on E Class ships myself..you sound like you are about the age of my Wife and I. Enjoy. 

I love E class outdoor retreat , so far just did penthouse on edge with move up and corner sky suite on beyond, never used balcony on either since we spent so much time in retreat , now thing I didn’t like about penthouse was entire balcony is covered so no direct sunlight. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  We upgraded to an accessible Aqua stateroom.  Now we have the Persian gardens and Blu and the extra room in the cabin.  The accessible extra sqft make it almost a big as a sky suite and will help hubby.  He might be in a wheel chair part of the time and recovering from 2 pending back surgeries.  Also less tripping hazard and a seat in the shower.

With the description of the retreat sun deck, his accessibility restrictions mean he most likely wouldn't be able to use it, especially if no elevator.  While the extra lounge and restaurant would have been nice, just couldn't justify the extra ~$7,500 - $8K, especially because we are not big drinkers either.