Symphony Shows

Can you please review the assorted shows on Symphony. Planning to make reservations and would like some guidance as to what is good and those that are just ok. I realize that everyone has their own tastes and opinions.

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to a blog that may help answer some of your questions:

https://www.cruiseswithfriends.com/blogs/ships/royal-caribbean-symphony-of-the-seas

We always enjoy the ice shows and aqua theater shows.  Having cruised for 32 years we skip most production shows as we've seen quite a few over the years, and while for the most part good, they're just not our cup of tea anymore.  You will need to make your own judgement and I'm certain others will contradict me on this, but IMO Hairspray is our least favorite of the RCCL Broadway based shows.

That being said, Symphony is one of our favorite Oasis class ships and, with the exception of Jamie's Italian, which is not among our favorites, we like all of the specialty restaurants on board and have enjoyed sailing on her.

As you say, what I and others will say is subjective and, as mentioned, IMO you need to judge for yourself.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

44 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

we skip most production shows as we've seen quite a few over the years

+1

44 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Hairspray is our least favorite of the RCCL Broadway based shows

+1...least fave of all of the B'Way shows, in our opinion.

The nightly comedy shows fill up fast, so reserve that first.  It is adult themed so don't go if you are easily offended. 

We like all the shows on symphony especially the ice show.      We go over and over to all the shows even if we've seen it before.  We'll sit in a different area to view it from a   different perspective.   The cast is often new (for me), and we like to support their efforts.  The production show on Symphony is Flight and has some good effects.  

My least favorite has become the water shows.  If used to be about diving and synchronized swimming, but now  includes other athletic activities such high tightrope walking, acrobatics, slack lines,  athletic dance, and more.  The performers are certainty talented, just not my preference.  If you are interested in the water show, book it early in the cruise,  That way, if it is cancelled for bad seas or weather, they'll have time to re-schedule

Reservations fill up fast, so watch your cruise planner for the reservations to open. It is usually about 45 days prior to sailing, but our Sept 1 Symphony cruise just opened entertainment reservations today ( less than 30 days out). 

• Like 1

Just off Symphony. 

Hairspray is the Broadway show and is a shortened version of the Broadway musical, if you enjoyed the musical/movie you will enjoy this but it can at times feel a little long at 1.5 hrs with no intermission. - always seemed to have seats available

Flight...Dare to Dream is the production show and is basically a reverse telling of the history of flight. It has some truly lovely singing with some popular music that would be recognizable. I do recommend this as it is only 50 mins. - full 

Hiro is the aqua theater show and it is really cool if you have never seen it before but go into it knowing there is no story line and it is just a lot of movement to loud music but the flying and diving is cool - Always full!

1977 is the first ice skating show and is basically a heist mystery on ice and was fun to watch and if you go the 1st day there were lots of seats still available.

iSkate 2.0 is a basically just an ice skating show where they skate to various songs and show off some of their bigger tricks.

Comedy - as long as you are not easily offended go to this it was hilarious and fills up so get your reservation early.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

+1,  Cats is the only show we have ever walked out of. 

Did Oasis twice last year, never even went to Cats because I refuse to walk out on a show, but knew damn well I wasn't gonna make it through the whole thing. So we just skipped it all together. 

when we saw Hairspray many years ago on the Oasis it was our favorite show.  It was excellent.  Looking forward to seeing it again on the Symphony.  Our least favorite show is cats- a real boring stinker.  Unfortunately we will be going on the Oasis again in the spring- of course will skip the show.  

Our least favorite shows are those with too much acrobatics- Celebrity does that in it's main theatre- people rolling up in cloth.  Enough already.

We did Symphony earlier this year and overall excellent including the entertainment.  I agree with others that Hairspray was kind of long and dragged in spots.

We love the iskate performances and always go if offered.  Funny - the introduction as told by the team says it is skaters' choice of music and costumes, but it is the same show on several ships.  Same music, costumes etc.  Same show different names. BUT,  very enjoyable!

M

On 8/3/2024 at 8:27 PM, taglovestocruise said:

+1,  Cats is the only show we have ever walked out of. 

I didn't walk out of it, but fell asleep within five minutes. It was the afternoon show, providing me a great nap. My wife had to wake me up when it was over.

I'm thrilled when people say which Broadway shows they like and hate. It helps me know whether I should follow their advice about entertainment.

Hairspray is one of my favorite shows of all time, and Cats is one of the most insipid and boring shows of all time. IMHO of course.

• Like 1