how to find a travel agent

I not used a travel agent in the past, but I think I will need one in the future.  I also understand I cannot ask for a referral on this web sight.  I would like to know how to find a good TA.  Thanks

10 minutes ago, happy2bee said:

I not used a travel agent in the past, but I think I will need one in the future.  I also understand I cannot ask for a referral on this web sight.  I would like to know how to find a good TA.  Thanks

My answer will surprise some, but we think the best way is to simply socialize on cruise ships and ask folks how they book their cruises.  I used to joke that liking to share larger tables has probably saved us over $100,000.  What we learn from fellow cruisers, over more than 50 years of extensive cruising, has saved us a lot of money.  The bonus is that it also enhances our knowledge about which cruises. ships, and cruise lines to book and avoid.

Also keep in mind that one person's good TA may not work for others.  For example, we need no "hand holding" from our cruise agents, so our priorities for cruise agents are good service and the best overall deals.  The deal thing is quite interesting because it is possible to save 7-10% + on many bookings by simply shopping around for the right agencies.  On some of our longer cruises, the savings by using the right cruise agency can mean saving thousands of dollars (on a single booking) versus booking directly with a cruise line.  We sometimes remind our favorite cruise agents (we currently have two) that our loyalty is only as good as the last deal.

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, happy2bee said:

Howdy @happy2bee from a fellow Texan!

Perhaps something in the following oldie but goodie Cruise Critic articles will be helpful:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer

How to Save Money on Your Next Cruise

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My answer will surprise some, but we think the best way is to simply socialize on cruise ships and ask folks how they book their cruises.  I used to joke that liking to share larger tables has probably saved us over $100,000.  What we learn from fellow cruisers, over more than 50 years of extensive cruising, has saved us a lot of money.  The bonus is that it also enhances our knowledge about which cruises. ships, and cruise lines to book and avoid.

Also keep in mind that one person's good TA may not work for others.  For example, we need no "hand holding" from our cruise agents, so our priorities for cruise agents are good service and the best overall deals.  The deal thing is quite interesting because it is possible to save 7-10% + on many bookings by simply shopping around for the right agencies.  On some of our longer cruises, the savings by using the right cruise agency can mean saving thousands of dollars (on a single booking) versus booking directly with a cruise line.  We sometimes remind our favorite cruise agents (we currently have two) that our loyalty is only as good as the last deal.

Hank

Great points Hank

I have mostly  been using although not totally exclusively a TA that was referred to me in the hall way on a cruise over 20 plus years ago

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Great points Hank

I have mostly  been using although not totally exclusively a TA that was referred to me in the hall way on a cruise over 20 plus years ago

What if the OP or others has never been on a cruise? So that wouldn't work, right?

Some cruise lines list accredited TA's in their sites.  These would be TA's that have gone through their learning programs and are experts on the cruise line.

This is how we found and used an Agent for our Antarctica Cruise.  We found her listed on the Hurtigruten site.

7 hours ago, clo said:

What if the OP or others has never been on a cruise? So that wouldn't work, right?

Perhaps they get lucky and perhaps they don"t :).   

Finding a good TA is kind of like, and not like, finding a spouse.  Like because when you find a good one you will know.  Not like, because changing to a better TA is easy.  😃

43 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Finding a good TA is kind of like, and not like, finding a spouse.  Like because when you find a good one you will know

So, after several years the T.A. will start yelling at me and not let me go drinking with the guys? 😉

• Haha 2

We were at a street fair and a woman had a booth with a sign identifying herself as a TA .We went to speak to her and she said that for every cruise booked she gives a gift.We booked a cruise and received a travel bag.For our second cruise she gave us good quality binoculars .For our third cruise a good quality carryon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I googled my cruise name and picked the first 10 TAs that showed up in the search.  Emailed them all and told them I was looking for a TA and asking them to send me their best package deal for the cruise.  I emailed back and forth with them all paying attention to how quickly I got a response and compared the packages (cruise cost + perks).  Then I called the ones that I liked the best and chatted.  I picked the one that had a great package plus was very responsive and I connected with personally on the phone.  Yeah, it took some time but I found a TA I love.

Edited by Wayfairers
  • Like 1