Mold in Carnival Panorama room

I just want to post this as a warning to others and share my recent experience. Upon entry to stateroom an odor was noted. As I have experienced odors before on the first day I thought the odor would resolve. The next day the odor was still present and stronger. I advised my stateroom attendant and guest services. Engineering came to room and stated they would clean the room and place a machine to absorb the odor. We were advised to return in a few hours. Upon arrival the smell was still present. I again spoke with guest services and requested a new room. I was advised they would not change rooms but would again send engineering. Engineering stated no odor was present at that time but the odor was present and strong. We were advised we were smelling the previously placed machine. By this point we were also feeling sick. We did advise guest services and we were denied a new room. I did tell guest services we would take any room. We were not requesting an upgrade although guest services seemed to be irritated by our request for a new room. The following day we felt worse. Again asked for a new room and again stated our room was unusable and we would at least like to sleep outside. We were denied this requested as well and advised they would again send someone but otherwise we needed to stay in our room that was making us sick. I returned to the room to look around because there was clearly an issue that was not being addressed. I noted water on the ceiling near the air conditioning. I removed the cover and looked inside where mold was extensive. The odor from the vent was the same odor of the room. I again visited guest services and was denied a new room even after showing photos and explaining the health hazard. I was told to return that evening. At that time I was finally, after 2 days of begging, provided a new room. I did note that my trip was ruined as myself and other person in my room were sick due to the mold ( I have asthma and allergies). I requested refund for the room and was offered $24 for the inconvenience. I advised this was not sufficient and was told the maximum was $50 and to contact guest services post cruise. I have never been treated so poorly by the staff. I was treated as if I were a criminal and told on multiple occasions there was no odor. I am very disappointed on how this was handled and the lack of concern for a serious health issue. 

20240805_105004.jpg

• Like 2

Something similar happened to us many years ago with a Disney Resort room.  We never had to spend the night in the room, but all five of us started coughing an hour or so after checking into the room.  We all have allergies, and 4 of us have asthma.  Anyway, we could see the mold growing on the upper wall near an air conditioning vent.  Disney was great about getting us moved out ASAP.  Shame on Carnival!!!

• Like 1

Last Sept on the Panorama I went with my brother. Room 7416 interior had mold under the bed. We didn't discover until we were getting ready to leave when I checked for missing items under the bed with a flashlight as I always do. Luckily we had no adverse affects. I let the room steward know as we were leaving. Floor was wet under the bed, source unknown, looked very uniform like it had seeped from the wall. 

signal-2023-09-30-11-31-01-016.jpg

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Please advise on the cabin # so others can be warned.

This was 9458. Interior room. But our room steward said it was down the entire vent so I assume all the interiors in that area would experience similar. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Melie1113 said:

Oh my! I didn't even look under the bed!! 

Normally I don't check under the bed until it is time to get off. I look for any items that may have fallen under the bed during the cruise. Needless to say I now check under the bed at arrival also. 

10 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Normally I don't check under the bed until it is time to get off. I look for any items that may have fallen under the bed during the cruise. Needless to say I now check under the bed at arrival also. 

We put our luggage under the bed.  Usually just slide it under without looking.  Will now start looking before storing it there.

• Like 2

Wouldn't have occurred to me to check, but I'm really sensitive to mold, so would be right there with you on being outraged. I think I'd ask for a manager and request that they accompany me to the room to see the conditions. 

Mold is a health hazzard that is pretty dangerous for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Wouldn't have occurred to me to check, but I'm really sensitive to mold, so would be right there with you on being outraged. I think I'd ask for a manager and request that they accompany me to the room to see the conditions. 

Mold is a health hazzard that is pretty dangerous for me.

I did ask for the manager. She did not care at all. I said it was making me sick and in the most monotone and emotionless voice and with no facial expression she said "do you need medical assistance". I understand she gets ridiculous complaints all day long but this was very serious and she had no desire to help. 

• Like 1

We store luggage under the bed.  I don't think the stewards look under the beds, either.  We once found a pair of unmentionables. 🤨

I remember reading a similar complaint about a couple not being taken seriously about a matter with their stateroom.  It may have been the lack of air conditioning.  Anyway, the couple took pillows and duvets down to Guest Relations and camped out on the lobby furniture until they got some action.  I've also heard of people sleeping out on deck.  Though that may have been to get a good sun lounger spot. 😁

• Like 2

Forgot to say in my previous post that we put our luggage in giant black garbage bags before we slide it under the bed.  That was mostly to avoid critters hitch-hiking in our luggage.  However, still will look as I don't even want to touch mold on the bag if it is there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I doubt I've ever looked under the bed. Being solo I have tons of storage and put my suitcase in the closet.

Me too.  I don't put anything under a bed. Ever!

It's where the bogeyman and monsters live....LOL  Guess the mold lives there too!

I'm really surprised to hear this on a newer ship! Sorry that you weren't taken seriously. 

I always check the bed (for bugs) and under the bed for stowaways 😄

I also wipe everything down and spray linens with microban, and run a portable air purifier the first couple days. Yes its a bit much but I do what I can to avoid germs. Guess I need to add check vent to my list 😞 

12 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

I'm really surprised to hear this on a newer ship! Sorry that you weren't taken seriously. 

I also wipe everything down and spray linens with microban, and run a portable air purifier the first couple days. Yes its a bit much but I do what I can to avoid germs. Guess I need to add check vent to my list 😞 

Hw much does it cost for that bubble when you travel?

23 hours ago, matt082600 said:

I always take my DL and 1 credit card with me when I go ashore.  As stated above, some port security ask to see a government photo ID, some do not.  Additionally,  I take pictures of my passport, DL and a few debit/ credit cards so at least I have the information should they get lost.

31 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

I think I'll trust the Carnival laundry on the sheets.

We always wipe down cabin surfaces ourselfs. 

I've never considered a portable air purifier. Amazon has small, quiet HEPA ones for a reasonable price. I've ordered one. It's about 6 ounces, not much, but because of the lithium battery will need to be in my carryon, so 6 ounces is the max I'd do.

I often get sick after a cruise but I think it's more likely from the airport/plane than the ship.

Even before COVID the ships were pretty dilligent because of Norovirus.

6 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Nor will I ever! I enjoy dining out, hell will freeze over before I look in the kitchen!

Lol, Commercial kitchens tend to be incredibly sanitary. Last carnival cruise I ot kitchen tour, and it was great.

Those photos from the OP and @n6uqqq are quite disturbing.  

37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hw much does it cost for that bubble when you travel?

I know you are trying to be humorous, but there are people who still want to get out and see the world, and have sensitivities to allergic sources.  And mold is no good for anyone.  And that AC mold is also a great place for (the bacteria that causes) legionnaires disease to fester.

More importantly, if the staff truly were that indifferent / diffident, then that's just a huge shame, and quite disappointing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Those photos from the OP and @n6uqqq are quite disturbing.  

I know you are trying to be humorous, but there are people who still want to get out and see the world, and have sensitivities to allergic sources.  And mold is no good for anyone.  And that AC mold is also a great place for (the bacteria that causes) legionnaires disease to fester.

More importantly, if the staff truly were that indifferent / diffident, then that's just a huge shame, and quite disappointing.

My post had nothing to do with a mold, reported by the op, the more along the lines of everything that somebody was talking about of additional precautions. You can precaution yourself for everything and anything you want at some point it becomes over the top. That was my point.

• Like 4