Buffet offerings at dinner?

banjineer

We last cruised with Celebrity several years ago.   At that time, Celebrity decided to significantly reduce the buffet dinner offerings, staff, and hours.  Is this still true or has Celebrity gone back to full service buffet for dinner? Breakfast and lunch were normal operations - just dinner in the buffet was reduced.

23 minutes ago, banjineer said:

We last cruised with Celebrity several years ago.   At that time, Celebrity decided to significantly reduce the buffet dinner offerings, staff, and hours.  Is this still true or has Celebrity gone back to full service buffet for dinner? Breakfast and lunch were normal operations - just dinner in the buffet was reduced.

I just got off Apex a couple of weeks ago and the dinner service was fantastic. Everything was open and lots of options. 

I can't speak to other ships but that was my experience

• Like 2

I was on Summit last year in June and found the dinner buffet to be drasticly reduced.  Nothing from the MDR menu was available, just salad bar and the ethnic choices.  As a solo booking late I couldn’t get reservations in the MDR so was reduced to the buffet.  Very disappointed.  I ate more pizza than I have in many years.  EM

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I was on Summit last year in June and found the dinner buffet to be drasticly reduced.  Nothing from the MDR menu was available, just salad bar and the ethnic choices.  As a solo booking late I couldn’t get reservations in the MDR so was reduced to the buffet.  Very disappointed.  I ate more pizza than I have in many years.  EM

I don’t believe they have ever had the main dining room dinner menu items in the buffet.  Have you ever known Celebrity to do this?

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t believe they have ever had the main dining room dinner menu items in the buffet.  Have you ever known Celebrity to do this?

Our last trip was on Eclipse and one night we decided to go to Qsine, the speciality restaurant with ordering via ipad.  Dishes were similar to tapas so you ordered different small plates until you had had enough,

We were very disappointed with the food overall and ended up not paying the extra charge.  We then realised that a number of the items on that menu were available on the buffet, just presented slightly differently!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

That's terrible you dined in the OV every night!  I've never heard of someone being turned away from the MDR.  If no reservation (Anytime Dining) there would be a waiting time and a buzzer when your table was ready.  The maitre d' would have been a big help if he was approached.  Also MDR menu wouldn't be available in the buffet but items were reduced for a period;  posters have mentioned there are more choices now.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Qsine is no more—replaced many years ago by Petite Chef

Q sine was one if the most creative restaurants Celeb  offered..great concept, cool  Wonderland style decor.  Had excellent food with unique presentation . order on I pad.. Much better than the  cartoon with limited menu!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

That's terrible you dined in the OV every night!  I've never heard of someone being turned away from the MDR.  If no reservation (Anytime Dining) there would be a waiting time and a buzzer when your table was ready.  The maitre d' would have been a big help if he was approached.  Also MDR menu wouldn't be available in the buffet but items were reduced for a period;  posters have mentioned there are more choices now.

The first night I had a buzzer and waited an hour.  Second night 40 min.  Third night we were in port late so no wait.  After that, menus were lackluster.  How is Select anytime dining when you have to have a reservation?  I usually do early seating,  ut booked late and on,y select available.  EM

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

As stated above, things have changed since you sailed, for the better.

On the Silhouette a couple weeks ago, the only day the OVC buffet at dinner time was "subpar" (and very subpar) was on the embarkation evening. We were worn out, and decided to skip the MDR (rare for us), and the buffet was not very expansive.

A few times on the cruise, though, we swung by OVC before or after our MDR dinner and noticed things were MUCH better. Well stocked, lots of options, and quite a few people eating at pretty much any time we wandered through.