The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 22nd, 2024

richwmn

Good morning, and thank you, all for the Fleet Report and all the good wishes.  Pat is doing better today.  The spots are about the same, his temp is down, and he’s eating. He doesn’t like the hospital food of course, so I just got him a latte and a croque monsieur at the coffee shop.  Hope he is released soon, he has not been moved from emergency.  

Happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline.  I was late for my wedding, too.  My hairdresser, a friend, decided I was not to be married with a single whit hair on my head and spent half an hour plucking them(I was 22).  I’ve never lived that one down!  

I missed my oncologist appointment yesterday, so checked in this morning and they rescheduled me for tomorrow.  I appreciate her and all oncologists.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a sunny, but cooler, Durango. High today will be mid-70's and there is a possibility of rain this evening. An even better chance tomorrow and the next few days and we actually did get a pretty good shower last night. All saving on the water bill.

The sewer work yesterday did not involve our yard or driveway. It took the contractors over 8 hours (that is going to cost someone) and I was right, it was tree roots. The cable guys are off the hook.

This morning was the another early appointment, this one with the podiatrist at 9:00 . That one was easy and I ran a couple errands on the way home. Now to walk dogs again and then just do odds and ends around the house. Not a very exciting day.

Happy anniversary to Pauline and Graham. Best wishes for a good day for everyone. @kazuDid you and the buyers resolve the issues with your moving date?

Susan

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Easiest and quickest blood donation ever.

Received a college alumni magazine with a cover story about the 50th anniversary of the main library. Distressing to realize that it was under construction when I was a student.

No idea what to have for dinner.

SirPolonium.jpg.9742e20b7dd05ab1d8169aa3a4f5fcac.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Dropped a can of redi whip on my toe, split it open and now it’s black. Minor problem compared to others but it still hurts. 🥲

Bubble wrap headed your way 🫣

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Cat update: drank once briefly last night, nothing since, including today.

Still eating, but less than yesterday. 

Peed a small amount once last night, nothing since.

He lays in my lap and sleeps. 

He will go back to ER tomorrow if things don't change; based on the conversations when he was there the other day, we'll have decisions to make.

We appreciate everyone's concern, support & prayers 🙏 

20240821_142401.thumb.jpg.4f0b4c4a058a60f8114424f47d992467.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 19

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

He will go back to ER tomorrow if things don't change; based on the conversations when he was there the other day, we'll have decisions to make.

Prayers 🙏 from us both for your lovely cat.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I was sorry to read that Rick Steves has prostate cancer.  I hope it is slow growing and that he can have a good outcome.

Lenda I was sorry to hear about Rick Steves too.  I did read today that it was caught early and he has an excellent prognosis.  Here's what he posted on Face Book yesterday:

"Dear Facebook friends,
I’d like to take a moment to share some important news. I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. My doctor assures me that, if you’re going to get cancer, this is a good kind to get, and careful scans show no sign of it having spread. There is a clear path forward to getting healthy, and this fall, I’ll be in the hospital for a few days having prostate surgery.
My doctor’s fine with me filming two new TV shows in France for the next three weeks, returning home to Edmonds by mid-September. I’ll likely get my surgery in late September, be laid up for a month, and—God willing—be cancer-free and back at it by the end of October.
I have great trust in my doctor and in Seattle’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center. And I have lots more to be thankful for…including the support of friends and loved ones and a strong faith that I’m in good hands.
While the statistics tell me I should be just fine, I’ve been fortunate to have never spent a night in a hospital — and I find myself going into this adventure almost like it’s some amazing, really important trip. I feel good about my positive attitude — and I expect to take home some delightful, if intangible, souvenirs like: appreciating and seeing a vibrancy in the little things; appreciating the goodness in people and the treasure of friends and family; being wowed by modern medicine and the army of amazing, smart, and dedicated people that make it possible; appreciating what a blessing life, health, and this world to enjoy is; and — just in general — being more thankful.
I’m looking forward to many more years of happy travels, exciting collaborations, and beautiful friendships. Thank you for your love and support (and any “travel tips” you may have for me as I set off on this journey).
Rick
PS: I’ll keep you posted."

Well now we may not go to the Beach Boys concert tomorrow night 😞  The weather forecast is horrid and it's an outdoor concert.  We go months with no rain and now tomorrow it will rain all day and at the time of the concert it will be 100% precipitation with up to one inch.  Some wind too. Being Washingtonians we aren't afraid of a little rain, but this won't be our usual drizzle. Of course it isn't raining today.  We're sad to miss it, but don't want to be miserable either.  We'll watch the weather in the off-chance it will change, but I doubt it.  At least we didn't pay anything for the tickets, but I feel bad about it.

Edited to add Elizabeth @Haljo1935 praying for your kitty.  

I've spent the last couple hours working on the raised beds, one of them is done now.  I'm tired so will finish the 2nd one another day.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, and thank you, all for the Fleet Report and all the good wishes.  Pat is doing better today.  The spots are about the same, his temp is down, and he’s eating. He doesn’t like the hospital food of course, so I just got him a latte and a croque monsieur at the coffee shop.  Hope he is released soon, he has not been moved from emergency.  

Happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline.  I was late for my wedding, too.  My hairdresser, a friend, decided I was not to be married with a single whit hair on my head and spent half an hour plucking them(I was 22).  I’ve never lived that one down!  

I missed my oncologist appointment yesterday, so checked in this morning and they rescheduled me for tomorrow.  I appreciate her and all oncologists.  

Ann, I'm glad Pat is doing better, and I hope he is released soon.  I'm glad your oncologist can see you tomorrow.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon from a sunny, but cooler, Durango. High today will be mid-70's and there is a possibility of rain this evening. An even better chance tomorrow and the next few days and we actually did get a pretty good shower last night. All saving on the water bill.

The sewer work yesterday did not involve our yard or driveway. It took the contractors over 8 hours (that is going to cost someone) and I was right, it was tree roots. The cable guys are off the hook.

This morning was the another early appointment, this one with the podiatrist at 9:00 . That one was easy and I ran a couple errands on the way home. Now to walk dogs again and then just do odds and ends around the house. Not a very exciting day.

Happy anniversary to Pauline and Graham. Best wishes for a good day for everyone. @kazuDid you and the buyers resolve the issues with your moving date?

Susan

Susan, I'm glad your driveway and lawn were not affected by the tree roots.

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Dropped a can of redi whip on my toe, split it open and now it’s black. Minor problem compared to others but it still hurts. 🥲

Dixie, oh no.  I hope the toe heals quickly.

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Elizabeth, I hope your sweet cat can be helped, and you don't have to make the difficult decision.  Do they offer a payment plan?

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Lenda I was sorry to hear about Rick Steves too.  I did read today that it was caught early and he has an excellent prognosis.  Here's what he posted on Face Book yesterday:

"Dear Facebook friends,
I’d like to take a moment to share some important news. I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. My doctor assures me that, if you’re going to get cancer, this is a good kind to get, and careful scans show no sign of it having spread. There is a clear path forward to getting healthy, and this fall, I’ll be in the hospital for a few days having prostate surgery.
My doctor’s fine with me filming two new TV shows in France for the next three weeks, returning home to Edmonds by mid-September. I’ll likely get my surgery in late September, be laid up for a month, and—God willing—be cancer-free and back at it by the end of October.
I have great trust in my doctor and in Seattle’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center. And I have lots more to be thankful for…including the support of friends and loved ones and a strong faith that I’m in good hands.
While the statistics tell me I should be just fine, I’ve been fortunate to have never spent a night in a hospital — and I find myself going into this adventure almost like it’s some amazing, really important trip. I feel good about my positive attitude — and I expect to take home some delightful, if intangible, souvenirs like: appreciating and seeing a vibrancy in the little things; appreciating the goodness in people and the treasure of friends and family; being wowed by modern medicine and the army of amazing, smart, and dedicated people that make it possible; appreciating what a blessing life, health, and this world to enjoy is; and — just in general — being more thankful.
I’m looking forward to many more years of happy travels, exciting collaborations, and beautiful friendships. Thank you for your love and support (and any “travel tips” you may have for me as I set off on this journey).
Rick
PS: I’ll keep you posted."

Well now we may not go to the Beach Boys concert tomorrow night 😞  The weather forecast is horrid and it's an outdoor concert.  We go months with no rain and now tomorrow it will rain all day and at the time of the concert it will be 100% precipitation with up to one inch.  Some wind too. Being Washingtonians we aren't afraid of a little rain, but this won't be our usual drizzle. Of course it isn't raining today.  We're sad to miss it, but don't want to be miserable either.  We'll watch the weather in the off-chance it will change, but I doubt it.  At least we didn't pay anything for the tickets, but I feel bad about it.

I've spent the last couple hours working on the raised beds, one of them is done now.  I'm tired so will finish the 2nd one another day.

Carolyn, thanks for sharing Rick Steves' positive post on FB.  I noticed he didn't include hospital food in the possible positive memories.  I'm sorry you may have to miss the Beach Boys concert.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Father!! I am happy you posted. Hoping you are well and keeping busy.

Joy

Well and busy. was in medjugoria for the youth fest in early August.

• Like 12

Good sunny evening. It’s been a beautiful sunny day and it continues tomorrow. 
@grapau27, i hope your anniversary was wonderful and wish you many more years of happiness. 
@aliaschief, I loved the Meals on Wheels meme. I bought it t-shirt in Skagway with the same message.

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I've never had bao, and hope to never need the services of a surgical oncologist.  This made me think of Rick Steves, our local travel guru, who announced yesterday that he has prostate cancer.  Apparently his doctor cleared him to do some European travel now and will have surgery later in September.

I'd like to be optimistic about this.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997; it took me about 4 months to get through the loops before surgery, and traveled for at least 23 more years.  It sounds like Steves has great care under protocols that have made a lot of progress in the last quarter century.

Prayers for the best.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'd like to be optimistic about this.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997; it took me about 4 months to get through the loops before surgery, and traveled for at least 23 more years.  It sounds like Steves has great care under protocols that have made a lot of progress in the last quarter century.

Prayers for the best.

Roy

Roy I'm so glad you were able to do so much in the last 27 years!  My BIL, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer and underwent treatment is doing great now.  My Dear Dad even had the surgery when he was in his 90's.  He passed at 101 from other causes.  It is a very treatable cancer if caught early. 

Yes, Steves is getting the best treatment at Fred Hutch. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Ann @Vict0riann  relieved others that Pat is doing a bit better - what a shame he is still stuck in emergency - not the ashes place in the world to sleep,  So glad your oncologist understood and could ger you in so quickly.

My prayer s for you both continue 🙏 

@Haljo1935 so sorry about your poor kitty.  I was hoping for improvement today 😢 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Very late check in for me but I subbed today though I read the daily during planning period and lunch on my phone (and I HATE) typing on my phone.  As for a lot of you it is late but only about 1800 for me.  

Lots of Happy ...... and congrats to ...... that I will miss if I list them but just know I wish Happy Anniversary/birthday/Bon Voyage/safe travels to all who it applies to and thoughts for those who need it (and that includes the kitties!!).  Have a great night!!

• Like 17

Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and all the daily news, appreciate seeing the photos of Rotterdam.

DH always enjoys French Onion Soup on BHB's.

An early start here this morning.   DB had phoned yesterday from their country home checking that DH still available to drive their son to the airport for an early flight today.   DB had called in here briefly on Tuesday (I was at the  hairdresser), DH offered to do the airport drive.    Nephews partner is out of town at her house  in another town.  

It's a grey day, light rain has started.

@kazu    You do a huge amount of work for the Future Cruise List, Thank you. i always understood that the Bon Voyage messages are for HAL cruises,  otherwise you would be inundated with Bon Voyage messages.   You are able to make an exception as you see fit.  Thanks again for all your voluntary work.

@Cruzin Terri  sorry that you were messed about with the appointment for the Opthalmologist.

@superoma Happy Birthday wishes to your DH.

@grapau27 Happy Anniversary,   but where are  the photos of your  salad lunch?   On Sunday you posted photos of the table set for Wednesday, we all expected to see photos of your meal when Sarah and boyfriend visited.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2