Celebrity Eclipse . Be honest

Posted (edited)

I am booked on a June 2025 British Isles out of Amsterdam. We haven’t cruised Celebrity since 2006 and  did four cruises between 2000 and 2006 on Galaxy , Mercury and Century and we loved ships and food. Since then it’s been most.y Princess and Royal.  Reading reviews on Celebrity website I see many many bad reviews for Eclipse, bad food , worn ship, lazy crew etc.  I know Eclipse is set for a refurbishment ,ent in April 2025 so that should help some of the decor, but the food. ? We always loved Celebrity’s food  and service . Has it gone down in quality and does it vary from ship to ship ?

Edited by Moxiefurball

We were on the Eclipse in a balcony room last month- all is well & I would certainly sail on her again. Yes the ship is a little worn- our drapes needed replacing,  seats in theater  & dining room also, but we had a great time. The food was very good. Murano was outstanding! We loved the cruise so much we are booked another cruise in a few months. Don't hesitate- book!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm sailing on her this fall and I expect that everything will be fine.

We sailed on her in July, our 2 nd time on her. We were in Retreat and on port days wandering around buffet, seemed as though a lot of choices.  Food is individual but we thought great improvements. They are alway working to keep her looking good. would book Eclipse again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moxiefurball said:

I am booked on a June 2025 British Isles out of Amsterdam. We haven’t cruised Celebrity since 2006 and  did four cruises between 2000 and 2006 on Galaxy , Mercury and Century and we loved ships and food. Since then it’s been most.y Princess and Royal.  Reading reviews on Celebrity website I see many many bad reviews for Eclipse, bad food , worn ship, lazy crew etc.  I know Eclipse is set for a refurbishment ,ent in April 2025 so that should help some of the decor, but the food. ? We always loved Celebrity’s food  and service . Has it gone down in quality and does it vary from ship to ship ?

While not on Eclipse, I have done 3 cruises in the past 18 months, Edge twice and Summit once.  Having almost always been a buffet no way person, I decided to give it a try.  I can honestly tell you that I was more than pleasantly surprised.  The turkey and beef carving stations and vegetables are great.  Cooked to order eggs benedict are as good as any sit down restaurant on board.  Make your own charcuterie is also very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

Reading reviews on Celebrity website I see many many bad reviews for Eclipse, bad food , worn ship, lazy crew etc.  

Really?  Share, please.

2 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

Reading reviews on Celebrity website I see many many bad reviews for Eclipse,   The Celebrity website is posting bad reviews of their own ship??  Very highly doubtful they would do this.  

• Like 1

We were on Eclipse in March and had a great time. The ship could use a bit of refreshing, but was very clean and well kept. We thought food was fine, but that’s subjective. We booked another cruise on her again, the October repositioning from Boston.
Others may disagree, but Eclipse is a great ship. It’s my understanding that she does into dry dock for her 5 year overhaul next year and softgoods and decor will be replaced. I think you will have a great cruise if you book her.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

We’re also booked on the June 2025 British Isles cruise on the Eclipse and suggest you book one of the aft-facing cabins that are still available before they’re all gone. We were also on the Eclipse in the Spring of 2023 on a transpacific cruise for 33-days and had an awesome time and posted some of our experiences both on and off the ship in a Live From thread that’s included in my below signature area.

BTW I just checked and the Concierge Sunset Veranda is about $300 pp cheaper than a regular Sunset Veranda on the June 4 cruise! 😱

Edited by Ken the cruiser

8 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

We are booked on the May sailing Ireland, Scotland and Iceland and have no concerns. Relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

You will notice some differences between Celebrity from the 2000 and 2006 time period.  This is not to say you will not have a good time.  The major changes I have found include room attendants no longer having an assistant and being responsible for more rooms by self. They tend to be overwhelmed by the increased responsibilities.  Food also  tended to be of better quality but that is my opinion.  Still, we have had great cruises on Eclipse and other Celebrity ships despite the changes.  I also do miss those smaller classic ships. 

• Like 1

Now if only they can get rid of the large amount of Covid cases especially the Bermuda and Greenland/Iceland cruises, People are posting on Facebook and Celebrity roll call everyday. We were on the 7/28 Bermuda cruise and everything about it was great. We did test positive when we arrived home which means we were exposed on the ship. Others we met on the cruise got it too. A friend of ours was on Equinox in Barcelona 2 weeks ago said there were many cases. I think we better stop totally blaming passengers coming on board with it ! Time to start testing ship and crew more see if its circuiting around the ship. The hand washing/hand sanitizer situation needs improvement/enforcement and possibly the air/filtration system needs to be addressed. We did have a great cruise our 16th on Celebrity 28 times to Bermuda. We were going to book Silhouette for July 2025 not offering cruises to Bermuda last 1 is 6/29. The prices for Suites are ridiculous. We love Celebrity and hope they return to Cape Liberty, NJ in 2026

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Eclipse round trip to Bermuda this past July.  I had never been on this ship class before but have sailed on Edge, Apex and Beyond.  I have to say that there was nothing to complain about and plenty to like and enjoy.  I never noticed the condition of the drapes, etc. because I was only on the ship for 7 days.  We thought the crew was excellent.  In several cases they went above and beyond to make us happy.  I would definitely sail the Eclipse again.  

Posted (edited)

We sailed on Eclipse in June and found a ship that IMO is still in good condition with an excellent crew and very good food and service offerings.  Experienced no maintenance issues on our sailing and in fact felt that, while awaiting her dry dock, she was maintained quite well. Would not hesitate to sail on her again. JMO, but one based on a recent cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sailed Celebrity 80 times over 30+ years, starting with the Horizon.  Lest you think I am just a Celebrity "cheerleader" if you read my series of posts you will see I point out the good and the bad.  Is it like it used to be?  No.  Better in some ways and not as good in others.  I sailed Eclipse a year or so ago, and have a b2b booked on her in January.  I obviously would not hesitate to sail her again.  Yes, the ship is a little worn, but she is due for a refurbishment next March I believe it is.  So even that will be better by the time you sail.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those in the Retreat, I'm hoping they re-do the Solstice Deck to a Retreat Sundeck like they did on the Silhouette and Millennium.  And re-do Michael's Club to the bright and light Retreat Lounge like on the Millennium.  I'll be on the Eclipse next week and then again next fall, so I will be able to see the differences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CapeLibertyGirl said:

Now if only they can get rid of the large amount of Covid cases especially the Bermuda and Greenland/Iceland cruises, People are posting on Facebook and Celebrity roll call everyday. We were on the 7/28 Bermuda cruise and everything about it was great. We did test positive when we arrived home which means we were exposed on the ship. Others we met on the cruise got it too. A friend of ours was on Equinox in Barcelona 2 weeks ago said there were many cases. I think we better stop totally blaming passengers coming on board with it ! Time to start testing ship and crew more see if its circuiting around the ship. The hand washing/hand sanitizer situation needs improvement/enforcement and possibly the air/filtration system needs to be addressed. We did have a great cruise our 16th on Celebrity 28 times to Bermuda. We were going to book Silhouette for July 2025 not offering cruises to Bermuda last 1 is 6/29. The prices for Suites are ridiculous. We love Celebrity and hope they return to Cape Liberty, NJ in 2026

I just off the Greenland/Iceland cruise and by the end of the cruise there were many people coughing and sniffling.  I had heard of many people getting off cruises (not only Celebrity) with Covid, so I decided to be proactive.  If you don't want to get sick, then you need to do whatever you can to prevent it, because the only person you can trust is yourself. I saw people walking right by the Purell station at the OVC, and other people picking food out of their teeth and then going back to the buffet. I wore a mask whenever I was around large groups of people and also on bus tours.  I was continually using hand sanitizer.  I didn't get Covid.  

Re the condition of the ship - it definitely needs an overhaul.  The chairs in the dining room were ripping, some of the carpet in the OVC was torn, my shower door was broken. But nothing that took away my enjoying the cruise.  The crew was great, Captain Nicolas was terrific, and the cruise director Manuel was also great

15 hours ago, jwlane said:

Really?  Share, please.

15 hours ago, Liao said:

Reading reviews on Celebrity website I see many many bad reviews for Eclipse,   The Celebrity website is posting bad reviews of their own ship??  Very highly doubtful they would do this.
 If you go to celebrity website and click on eclipse there are reviews . Here are two of them . Not sure why you think I’d twist truth . 

1. ☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆ 1 out of 5 stars.
    Shirley M 
    · a year ago  

Food was below average. Service was mediocre, Ship, the Eclipse, needs to be refurbished or updated. Entertainment was average.

Helpful?

Yes · 10No · 1

☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆ 2 out of 5 stars.
    Cynthia S 
    · 2 years ago  

Our dining table didn't exist as described earlier. My wife was soaked on our balcony by a careless staff member cleaning above. Our toilet initially didn't flush (though sometimes did so by itself) and our TV kept turning itself on and off at night.

30 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

OK this makes sense, it is a review from a cruiser on a different website, but it was NOT a review on Celebrity website, which is where you said you found it.  

3 hours ago, baggal said:

We were on the Eclipse round trip to Bermuda this past July.  I had never been on this ship class before but have sailed on Edge, Apex and Beyond.  I have to say that there was nothing to complain about and plenty to like and enjoy.  I never noticed the condition of the drapes, etc. because I was only on the ship for 7 days.  We thought the crew was excellent.  In several cases they went above and beyond to make us happy.  I would definitely sail the Eclipse again.  

The drapes had holes all over them so when the sun came through in the am, the light went right in my eyes as the bed was next to the balcony. We were on a cruise to Bermuda July 7 but did not get covid. Understood COVID levels have increased greatly recently. We are going on a TA in November so hope we don't get it. Will get the new vaccine before we go

19 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

I disembarked from Eclipse on August 4th. We had a fabulous time. The crew was wonderful and I could not say enough good things about them. The food was good (of course it is subjective) in the MDR and the food in the OVC had plentiful offerings for breakfast/lunch. (We never dined there in the evenings so can't say anything about dinner), The ship definitely shows wear since we last sailed on her in 2018 and she does need a refurb, but she is still a wonderful ship and I'd not worry at all. I'd sail on her again in a heartbeat if the itinerary was one I like...before or after the refurb.  Our verandah cabin was missing it's drapes (sheers) which was annoying, but didn't impact our enjoyment of the cruise. They removed all but the blackout drapes from the cabins. I'm sure that will be rectified with the refurb. Rest easy, Eclipse still has great bones and is a wonderful ship. The crew was fantastic. Thinking hard I could not come up with a single negative about anyone we interacted with for 12 days.

• Like 1

Spent 110 days B2B on the Eclipse (Nov 2023 to mid-March 2024).  Yes, the drapes and MDR chairs were worn and some systems and equipment showed their age.  BUT the crew were as wonderful as on any other ship we have sailed and made it an experience to remember.  The Captains (2), Hotel Director (Tudor), Chief Concierge (Anna), and others were also great professionals.  And Cruise Director, Manuel?:  Braaavo!  🙂   I would not hesitate booking your trip.  Be sage and enjoy!

2 hours ago, cruiserss said:

I just off the Greenland/Iceland cruise and by the end of the cruise there were many people coughing and sniffling.  I had heard of many people getting off cruises (not only Celebrity) with Covid, so I decided to be proactive.  If you don't want to get sick, then you need to do whatever you can to prevent it, because the only person you can trust is yourself. I saw people walking right by the Purell station at the OVC, and other people picking food out of their teeth and then going back to the buffet. I wore a mask whenever I was around large groups of people and also on bus tours.  I was continually using hand sanitizer.  I didn't get Covid.  

Re the condition of the ship - it definitely needs an overhaul.  The chairs in the dining room were ripping, some of the carpet in the OVC was torn, my shower door was broken. But nothing that took away my enjoying the cruise.  The crew was great, Captain Nicolas was terrific, and the cruise director Manuel was also great

We were on the same cruise. We did the same as you did regarding Covid precautions but I came down with Covid the day we left the ship. When I hot home lots of people at home have Covid.  It's on the rise again in PA /NJ. Luckily not too sick. We've had all the shots and boosters and will get the new one. All you can go is wash hands, wear mask in crowds and hope for the best.