How cruise lines used to describe specialty restaurant pricing

IDL

Back in the day:

“There is a nominal fee of $38 USD per adult and $12 USD per child, 11 and under (when ordering from the Kids' menu, available upon request). The fee includes a starter, salad, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity”

Things that jump out;

*No matter what they charged (and it was ever increasing through the years) they described it as “nominal”, which they dropped now that Eden is over $100 for one.

*Explicitly stated the tip was all or a component of the upcharge and now they add 20% gratuity on top of the higher priced meals. 
*Current pricing model is more supply and demand vs. an actual cost plus model- just keep increasing the prices as long as enough people are willing to pay it.

• Like 3

I think back in the day the cruise industry wasn’t sure how the cruising public would react to specialty dining. The traditional MDR had a romantic allure…where will our table be located…who will we sit with…what will we wear to dinner each night…

Then they slowly changed the MDR experience to include the ability to dine anytime and without the formality of doing so with strangers. Food quality started to change as well, which opened the door to more specialty dining and higher prices at that. 

Eventually, they dropped the entry level price to step foot on a cruise ship so much that the industry had to ‘bank’ on people spending at every turn. 

I can’t in this moment identify much of anything that isn’t different now than it was then. I find the evolution quite fascinating, tbh. 

Posted (edited)

Other than to identify inflation over the years, I'm not sure I understand the point. Our first specialty restaurants charged a $20 fee.  But there is a natural evolution that drove this.  Back then the MDR quality and menu diversity was significantly better as it essentially was the only dinner option.  The demand for other venues was lower and only one or two choices were initially offered to provide a more upscale dinner option.

But we all know that over time in an effort to control costs, the MDR became more basic with a more generic menu as the included cruise fare dining option.  Demand increased as a result and more SR options evolved with a higher level of quality and menu focus to enhance the dining options, and with that the increasing fee structure followed suit.  Simple economics in that you get what you pay for.  And that choice remains your option.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Other than to identify inflation over the years, I'm not sure I understand the point. Our first specialty restaurants charged a $20 fee.  But there is a natural evolution that drove this.  Back then the MDR quality and menu diversity was significantly better as it essentially was the only dinner option.  The demand for other venues was lower and only one or two choices were initially offered to provide a more upscale dinner option.

But we all know that over time in an effort to control costs, the MDR became more basic with a more generic menu as the included cruise fare dining option.  Demand increased as a result and more SR options evolved with a higher level of quality and menu focus to enhance the dining options, and with that the increasing fee structure followed suit.  Simple economics in that you get what you pay for.  And that choice remains your option.  JMO.

Obviously and logically when you have a captive audience, like cruise ship passengers, the cruise line is going to seek to maximize their revenue and revenue enhancements beyond the basic cruise fare is certainly one revenue vector.  For instance the Wi-Fi markup is high as there is no viable substitute if you desire (or require) it and the price is not based on their cost but the demand for the service. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, IDL said:

Obviously and logically when you have a captive audience, like cruise ship passengers, the cruise line is going to seek to maximize their revenue and revenue enhancements beyond the basic cruise fare is certainly one revenue vector.  For instance the Wi-Fi markup is high as there is no viable substitute if you desire (or require) it and the price is not based on their cost but the demand for the service. 

I don't disagree, but WiFi packages are not the same as SR's and IMO you have little option if WiFi connectivity is a must.  SR's remain a complete option and you either dine at them or you don't.  Adding that cost to your cruise experience is optional and is your choice.

All passengers are faced with the same situation regarding WiFi, where as it is only a minority of passengers that choose to dine at the SR's.  If they don't want to pay the SR fee they don't buy the product.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't disagree, but WiFi packages are not the same as SR's and IMO you have little option if WiFi connectivity is a must.  SR's remain a complete option and you either dine at them or you don't.  Adding that cost to your cruise experience is optional and is your choice.

I agree they are very different type products; my broader point is the cruise lines have gotten smarter on pricing to increase their profit margins and like you say you can pick and choose what you decide you want to indulge in.  I for instance enjoy the Blu restaurant experience so I pay the up charge for Aqua Class; I booked the Eden Restaurant on my last cruise and though it was a nice meal it was not worth over $100 for me though I know others think it is (and hence Celebrity can charge that price successfully).

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, IDL said:

I agree they are very different type products; my broader point is the cruise lines have gotten smarter on pricing to increase their profit margins and like you say you can pick and choose what you decide you want to indulge in.  I for instance enjoy the Blu restaurant experience so I pay the up charge for Aqua Class; I booked the Eden Restaurant on my last cruise and though it was a nice meal it was not worth over $100 for me though I know others think it is (and hence Celebrity can charge that price successfully).

Yep - supply and demand.  If SR bookings drop, so would the fees.  We may be in the minority but we typically dine primarily at the SR's and rarely set foot in the MDR.  But after 32 years of cruising and watching the evolution of the MDR product v the SR product, that upcharge is just part of our cruising budget as we prefer those restaurants.  (We also often eat lunch in different ports of call and when in a given port for an extended timeframe will include dinner in port as well.  Just our choice for enjoying the different ports). 

On nights when we are not at an SR, we will often choose the buffet as a quick and easy alternative as well.  Just depends on the situation.

To each their own and what works for them.

5 hours ago, IDL said:

Back in the day:

“There is a nominal fee of $38 USD per adult and $12 USD per child, 11 and under (when ordering from the Kids' menu, available upon request). The fee includes a starter, salad, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs’ gratuity”

Things that jump out;

*No matter what they charged (and it was ever increasing through the years) they described it as “nominal”, which they dropped now that Eden is over $100 for one.

*Explicitly stated the tip was all or a component of the upcharge and now they add 20% gratuity on top of the higher priced meals. 
*Current pricing model is more supply and demand vs. an actual cost plus model- just keep increasing the prices as long as enough people are willing to pay it.

I guess AKA inflation, like just about everything else over time.  Supply and demand is nothing new, now it just costs more.

1 hour ago, Liao said:

I guess AKA inflation, like just about everything else over time.  Supply and demand is nothing new, now it just costs more.

Point is the cost to the end user is whatever the cruise line charges, regardless of their cost.  Obviously the cruise line, like every business wants to remain solvent and build shareholder value. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IDL said:

Point is the cost to the end user is whatever the cruise line charges, regardless of their cost.  Obviously the cruise line, like every business wants to remain solvent and build shareholder value. 

I agree but when a post starts with "back in the day", other than nostalgia, it just really IMO has nothing to with today.

2 minutes ago, Liao said:

I agree but when a post starts with "back in the day", other than nostalgia, it just really IMO has nothing to with today.

It was written with the context that the cruise lines characterized the up charge for speciality restaurants as “nominal” but they no longer describe this way as obviously at $100 for meal is not “nominal”.  Enjoy your day. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IDL said:

It was written with the context that the cruise lines characterized the up charge for speciality restaurants as “nominal” but they no longer describe this way as obviously at $100 for meal is not “nominal”.  Enjoy your day. 

The context was clear to me, as was your post. Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my collection of paraphernalia from my first Celebrity Cruise in 2005, I do not see the word “nominal” used to describe the $30 per person cover charge.  
I see that the price included the gratuity, but I’m sure the waiter received a bit of additional cash from me at the end of the meal.

A jacket was required every night and the addition of a tie on formal night.

The lost art of description via the written word on paper still existed then.

I wonder what ever happened to those wall panels from the Normandie ocean liner.

I enjoyed perusing this memorabilia.

Hopefully OP doesn’t mind me sharing it here.

IMG_5552.thumb.jpeg.835c585504c0992c0048a502d53cb03b.jpeg

IMG_5553.thumb.jpeg.18971d0346f208570846caf378f74d1c.jpeg

IMG_5551.thumb.jpeg.f7d623fe42bd7895141c731faae0964d.jpeg

IMG_5548.thumb.jpeg.e8266858d37086f1bc22056b39bebdc4.jpeg

IMG_5550.thumb.jpeg.0fff348a956fc408390cd92a4d027dac.jpeg

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 2

Back in the day (circa 2000 for us) dining in the Ocean Liners Restaurants was a three hour gourmet experience.  Somewhat comparable to what Chefs Table is today but definitely well above Murano's and Tuscan Grille.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Have you bought groceries lately? 

Not really.  I get them for free from the food pantry.  I also am able to sail for free since my student loan  was forgiven and I also qualify to get free utilities.    I maxed  out my Credit Cards, get free medical, and am able to sail in suites.  So glad I blew my money and didn’t save it.   The government gives me everything.   👍🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Back in the day (circa 2000 for us) dining in the Ocean Liners Restaurants was a three hour gourmet experience.  Somewhat comparable to what Chefs Table is today but definitely well above Murano's and Tuscan Grille.  

Those were the days! Zabaglione made table side was amazing! Someone playing a harp... Nothing close on board Celebrity today. 

15 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It was so sad when they turned the space into Le Petit Gourmet in the M Class ships that don't even have Murano as an alternative.  We've never seen the LPG venue well attended, but the old M class specialty restaurant was always pretty busy.  Gone are the days of putting together a nice, intimate party in the 'wine cellar' nook.

I think NCL was the first (or one of) to have a specialty restaurant. In the early 90s we were on the NCL Dream (a dismal ship) and I kept passing by a restaurant area with nobody ever inside. I inquired and was told it was a specialty restaurant where I could dine for an additional charge (don’t remember the amount). But it appeared that nobody ever visited it. 

Flash forward to today and RCCL’s Icon of the Seas. Never cruised that ship and never will (including similar ships) But a professional review of it could find only one of the many restaurants that wasn’t at extra charge. And no real MDR. 

17 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I think NCL was the first (or one of) to have a specialty restaurant. In the early 90s we were on the NCL Dream (a dismal ship) and I kept passing by a restaurant area with nobody ever inside. I inquired and was told it was a specialty restaurant where I could dine for an additional charge (don’t remember the amount). But it appeared that nobody ever visited it. 

Flash forward to today and RCCL’s Icon of the Seas. Never cruised that ship and never will (including similar ships) But a professional review of it could find only one of the many restaurants that wasn’t at extra charge. And no real MDR. 

Icon’s MDR is call The Main Event..

16 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

In my collection of paraphernalia from my first Celebrity Cruise in 2005, I do not see the word “nominal” used to describe the $30 per person cover charge.  
I see that the price included the gratuity, but I’m sure the waiter received a bit of additional cash from me at the end of the meal.

A jacket was required every night and the addition of a tie on formal night.

The lost art of description via the written word on paper still existed then.

I wonder what ever happened to those wall panels from the Normandie ocean liner.

I enjoyed perusing this memorabilia.

Hopefully OP doesn’t mind me sharing it here.

IMG_5552.thumb.jpeg.835c585504c0992c0048a502d53cb03b.jpeg

IMG_5553.thumb.jpeg.18971d0346f208570846caf378f74d1c.jpeg

IMG_5551.thumb.jpeg.f7d623fe42bd7895141c731faae0964d.jpeg

IMG_5548.thumb.jpeg.e8266858d37086f1bc22056b39bebdc4.jpeg

IMG_5550.thumb.jpeg.0fff348a956fc408390cd92a4d027dac.jpeg

Thanks Paul for this wonderful memory!

The Normandy was an outstanding restaurant! Service and food were extrodinary.
3 hour dinners were not uncommon. I remember wearing my tux many times and enjoying it!
I also remember the Harpist who was the girlfriend of one of the Hotel Directors.
And I believe it was a great loss for Celebrity to loose Master Chef Michel Roux.
Just rambling a bit with this great nostalgia... I remember Cruise Director Don Fluke. I wounder where he is now?
I forgot about the Waterfall Grill, which is now the Oceanview and crew serving late night gourmet bites.

Smooth Sailing,

Mark

• Like 2

Elegance extended to mdr.  Remember being on Century right after she debuted.  Tablemates were couple with two teenage sons.  Boys caught too much sun and left mdr before entrees were served.  Mom asked waiter if he would cover their plates so she could take back to cabin.  No problem with plates but he refused to allow her remove mdr silverware saying he was accountable for every piece.  Then, sterling.  Today, stainless.

Covercharge up to USD 50 including all service charges are ok, but anything more is not worth it. Le Voyage is already completely redicioulous, it soon costs as much as going to a top michelin restaurant on land. Daniel Bouloud is maybe a very good chef but one of the top Michelin chef's he is not.

• Thanks 1