LIVE(ish) - Rome, Turkey & Greece on Sun, 8/31-9/7

CruzerDeb

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from CruzerDeb! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

CruzerDeb was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I’m not a big cruise blogger with a big following, but I have posted a couple of reviews in the past. Wish I could say I was as witty as some others … I guess that’s my disclaimer for this review! I hope you will follow along anyway. 😎

We are Debbie and Kevin. Cruising is my passion and DH (dear husband/damn husband, depending on the day) kinda likes it; his passion is skiing and hiking, while mine is sitting on the beach with a bevvy. It’s amazing that we’ve been together for 34 years. 34 years? Yes, I’ve given the game away - we are 60 and 64. 

IMG_4475.thumb.jpeg.2bdf1def67a03d0738eaf5588bdec7d2.jpeg

We booked this cruise 589 days ago as a way to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary. Life is short, why wait for 35? I took this same cruise with my mom in 2022 and DH decided that he needed to have this experience. He’s never been to Europe. I’ve been a couple of times, so I guess I’m the “experienced” traveler. Yikes. So much pressure!

We’re flying to Rome today and will spend 3 nights at Albergo del Senato, which is located in the same square as the Pantheon. We booked our air travel through EZAir, have had no issues and will be traveling premium economy (DH said no to first/business class). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I will be following along also.  Have a safe trip and a great cruise to celebrate your 34th.

Any chance you are doing Spellbound?  I am interested in anyone’s experience with it.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Enjoy your time in Rome and your cruise!  The Med is our favorite itinerary.  And, Happy Anniversary!  🥂

Thank you! I absolutely loved my cruise in Regal two years ago and I’m so glad DH wanted to experience it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I will be following along also.  Have a safe trip and a great cruise to celebrate your 34th.

Any chance you are doing Spellbound?  I am interested in anyone’s experience with it. 

Thanks! Sadly, we are not doing Spellbound.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dog said:

Great location in Rome! A favourite of mine. I use RomeCabs booked online for my transfers.

Following, as well.

RomeCabs are the best!!  We left an item in the car.  Got on the ship before we realized it. The driver would only leave it with an officer at the port.  Saved our trip.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dog said:

Great location in Rome! A favourite of mine. I use RomeCabs booked online for my transfers.

Following, as well.

We’re using Rome in Limo for our transfers; pickup at FCO includes a 4-hour tour before hotel drop. 

• Like 4

My wife and I are currently on the Sun and totally enjoying it. We’re doing a BB cruise. This is our 3rd day and we still exploring the ship. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

We’re using Rome in Limo for our transfers; pickup at FCO includes a 4-hour tour before hotel drop. 

They are great too! Excited to follow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crusdiva said:

@CruzerDeb Following along, can't wait to hear more. Enjoy your time in Rome. If once onboard you could post a photo of the ship's officer board it would be much appreciated!

I’ll try to remember to do this! 

Ohhhh, love the Albergo del Senato.   We stayed there on our honeymoon.  We find Med cruising very addicting.   We've booked the Sun for next June to celebrate our 10th anniversary - still a long way from your 34 years!  Happy and safe travels.

• Like 1

I’m very excited to follow along. We are doing this cruise next May. We have never been to any of the ports and are spending a few days before and after to explore. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. Looking forward to your review. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_4481.thumb.jpeg.cc5004fb8d00ec4238a2a93ee0258343.jpeg

Things aren’t posting as I’ve experienced in the past, so I hope this works. Yummy BBQ Hawaiian pizza. 

And a beer for DH and a mango margarita for me.  Waiting at CVG for our flight to ATL. 

IMG_4480.thumb.jpeg.b6fe36f73a6d211560c3ee92163e16bd.jpeg

Edited by CruzerDeb
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

We are Debbie and Kevin. Cruising is my passion and DH (dear husband/damn husband, depending on the day) kinda likes it; his passion is skiing and hiking, while mine is sitting on the beach with a bevvy. It’s amazing that we’ve been together for 34 years. 34 years? Yes, I’ve given the game away - we are 60 and 64.

Ahhh.... I love hearing about newlyweds. 😁

I'll be watching this as we have never been to the Med and it sounds like a great place to visit. Looking forward to your "honeymoon" adventures! At one time I would have thought 34 years was an incredible amount of time but that was long ago. (Our son turns 50 in a few months.) See? You aren't really old after all!😉

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and congratulations on your anniversary.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Our flight to Rome was long, but uneventful. We flew Delta from Cincinnati to Atlanta and then on to Rome. Seats were in Comfort Plus and then premium economy. 

IMG_4483.thumb.jpeg.9590c3a3c4417d71688100f44e7e2336.jpeg

IMG_4484.thumb.jpeg.e65c02c611d58e7a27858a3e14500dd9.jpeg

Yummy little cheese biscuits 

IMG_4486.thumb.jpeg.1da9ab807c01521ab58a179265e3e9ae.jpeg

IMG_4485.thumb.jpeg.135e3e245242da6c396520aa50399d3e.jpeg

Chose the chicken leg for dinner.

IMG_4487.thumb.jpeg.4b0c085aeb21ee3b21224c35e186c5b8.jpeg

Followed soon enough by a frittata for breakfast. 

IMG_4489.thumb.jpeg.c6722a207811de750fb6089d4ddd7377.jpeg

Edited by CruzerDeb
  • Like 5

I had arranged transportation through Rome in Limo, which also included a 4-hour tour of the city. Our driver was friendly and knowledgeable. We saw the Aventine Keyhole, the Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish stairs on this overview. We will revisit many of these sights again on our own. 

IMG_4490.thumb.jpeg.5e9b4b48c9f40403bde679796d910590.jpeg

IMG_4494.thumb.jpeg.f899d34a93776cec9ec0af0be10d0c9f.jpeg

IMG_4496.thumb.jpeg.f84add24ed9ff48abcb894184cb0a010.jpeg

IMG_4497.thumb.jpeg.f4a04b5aa1d04fb66df2a7d06a0e0e1c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1