Enchanted Princess: Waitstaff’s Opinion of New Premier Package With Unlimited SD

Lady Arwen

quick sidebar for those on Enchanted right now with a package. Any issues out of New York re package not starting until the ship was in international waters, or additional taxes added on to drinks/specialty dinners while in NY waters?

Strangely, none of the staff we've interacted with today seem to have got the memo about what a terrible time they are all having either.  They all seem to be having a fine time.  And I've walked all around the ship today looking for the galley slaves chained to their oars, but couldn't find them or anything else to suggest that any of the staff (including waitstaff) are not volunteers working of their own free will, not working to fair contracts which huge numbers of them renew time after time, do not receive a decent remuneration for what they do and have had any unreasonable changes to their tasks to which they cannot adapt.   In fact, it would be really easy to get the distinct impression that many of them love what they do and are really happy with their working environment and the very obvious esprit de corps which permeates all of the crew with whom we've had dealings so far.  I bet there are many workers in the UK who wish they could say the same about their jobs / careers.

I sense that few, if any, of the staff on Caribbean Princess read CC to understand how bad their lot really is.  If only they knew!  I'm sure they'll sleep more soundly at night knowing that they have the sympathies of the fraction of 1% of their passengers who post / read CC, even if they have no idea why they need any sympathy in the first place.  Personally, we'll just go on treating them like normal human beings who do a great job and are, almost universally, a pleasure to engage with - they seem to like that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:27 AM, JimmyVWine said:

Just as an airline is not going to let its First Class experience bear the brunt of service shortages, a cruise line isn't going to let its Suite/Signature/Premier Class experience suffer.   

Well as a suite passenger I can tell you the experience has gone downhill. They eliminated such simple items as a pen and paper by the phone, limited upgraded bathroom amenities, no more canvas tote bags, no more included internet, no complimentary room service and the list goes on.......

My next cruise is on RCL's Navigator of the Seas and I'll be comparing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Strangely, none of the staff we've interacted with today seem to have got the memo about what a terrible time they are all having either.  They all seem to be having a fine time.  And I've walked all around the ship today looking for the galley slaves chained to their oars, but couldn't find them or anything else to suggest that any of the staff (including waitstaff) are not volunteers working of their own free will, not working to fair contracts which huge numbers of them renew time after time, do not receive a decent remuneration for what they do and have had any unreasonable changes to their tasks to which they cannot adapt.   In fact, it would be really easy to get the distinct impression that many of them love what they do and are really happy with their working environment and the very obvious esprit de corps which permeates all of the crew with whom we've had dealings so far.  I bet there are many workers in the UK who wish they could say the same about their jobs / careers.

I sense that few, if any, of the staff on Caribbean Princess read CC to understand how bad their lot really is.  If only they knew!  I'm sure they'll sleep more soundly at night knowing that they have the sympathies of the fraction of 1% of their passengers who post / read CC, even if they have no idea why they need any sympathy in the first place.  Personally, we'll just go on treating them like normal human beings who do a great job and are, almost universally, a pleasure to engage with - they seem to like that.

Your empathy is staggering.  However,  most crew will not engage on a personal level with passengers they feel are not approachable.  These guests just blindly go about their day without really seeing anything else unless it affects them.  If it’s not about them, it doesn’t exist.

My husband and I have spent a lot of time in the Sanctuary this week and the awesome staff have become like family.  On slow days in port, they sit and chat with us for ages.  Two young ladies have boyfriends that work in the MDRs.  They have confided in us on many issues because they know we care and they trust us.  They know most people see their smiling faces and assume that all is right with the world, when some of them  struggle with being over worked and ill prepared and in many cases unappreciated.  

So we’ll continue supporting them and listening to them and letting them know that indeed we care and we see them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Your empathy is staggering.  However,  most crew will not engage on a personal level with passengers they feel are not approachable.  These guests just blindly go about their day without really seeing anything else unless it affects them.  If it’s not about them, it doesn’t exist.

My husband and I have spent a lot of time in the Sanctuary this week and the awesome staff have become like family.  On slow days in port, they sit and chat with us for ages.  Two young ladies have boyfriends that work in the MDRs.  They have confided in us on many issues because they know we care and they trust us.  They know most people see their smiling faces and assume that all is right with the world, when some of them  struggle with being over worked and ill prepared and in many cases unappreciated.  

So we’ll continue supporting them and listening to them and letting them know that indeed we care and we see them.

So, in effect, this whole thread seems to boil down to 'people should support other people who have a difficult job'.  i suspect no-one would argue with that.  And, as I said in my last post, in terms of cruise ship crew, that basically boils down to treating them as human beings.  

But, its a long way to extrapolating what two individuals who are conditioned and trained to agree with passengers told you on day 1 of implementing to new arrangements to become an exercise in crystal ball gazing about the imminent downfall of the whole fleet and corporation, which is where many posters tried to take it.

And it's also a big leap to conclude or imply that people working hard is in any way unique to the cruise industry.  So, no doubt you and your husband use your unique conversational skills (although, I suspect that you are not unique as you think and that millions of your fellow cruisers have pretty well-developed skills in talking and listening) to support and listen to teachers, and health care workers and emergency service workers and those who work in retail and customer service and for the government and the military and in the offshore oil industry .. and .... and .... all of whom have a difficult job which, for many, takes them away from family for months at a time.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

So, in effect, this whole thread seems to boil down to 'people should support other people who have a difficult job'.  i suspect no-one would argue with that.  And, as I said in my last post, in terms of cruise ship crew, that basically boils down to treating them as human beings.  

But, its a long way to extrapolating what two individuals who are conditioned and trained to agree with passengers told you on day 1 of implementing to new arrangements to become an exercise in crystal ball gazing about the imminent downfall of the whole fleet and corporation, which is where many posters tried to take it.

And it's also a big leap to conclude or imply that people working hard is in any way unique to the cruise industry.  So, no doubt you and your husband use your unique conversational skills (although, I suspect that you are not unique as you think and that millions of your fellow cruisers have pretty well-developed skills in talking and listening) to support and listen to teachers, and health care workers and emergency service workers and those who work in retail and customer service and for the government and the military and in the offshore oil industry .. and .... and .... all of whom have a difficult job which, for many, takes them away from family for months at a time.  

Happy cruising, Mark.  I wish you well.  We are vastly different people, but that’s okay.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I don’t know what you’re referring to.  My old brain is drawing a blank!

Duh, of course you mean entertainment director.  I will find out for you.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Well said.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Happy cruising, Mark.  I wish you well.  We are vastly different people, but that’s okay.  

I never post while on cruising- learned my lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dog said:

I never post while on cruising- learned my lesson.

Good advice.  We’re currently in our cabana enjoying the weather and our new friends on the last day.  Sometimes you just have to know when to fold them, know when to……..well you know the rest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Good advice.  We’re currently in our cabana enjoying the weather and our new friends on the last day.  Sometimes you just have to know when to fold them, know when to……..well you know the rest.

All of us Canadians have a world-wide reputation of being "so so nice". It's an exaggeration, but I like it. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Well as a suite passenger I can tell you the experience has gone downhill. They eliminated such simple items as a pen and paper by the phone, limited upgraded bathroom amenities, no more canvas tote bags, no more included internet, no complimentary room service and the list goes on.......

My next cruise is on RCL's Navigator of the Seas and I'll be comparing. 

I also sail in suites and none of those things bother me. We bring our own pens, bring our own toiletries, can’t imagine why I would need a canvas tote bag and since we like cocktails always book with plus package. We absolutely love reserve dining, suite breakfast and 1 day laundry service

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Happy you are enjoying a very lovely day.  

I agree, the crew/staff of our cruises is what keeps us coming back.  I also agree to show them kindness and patience always.  If there is a mistake made, my motto is ‘everybody deserves a second chance’! 
I love the newer ships but we are oftentimes finding ourselves on the older ships because of some of the crew that we see as part of our ever growing family.  We keep in touch with many of them long after our cruise is done just to find out which ship they will be sailing on next.  If it’s on the US west coast, we do our best to book our next one on one of those ships just to see them again.  
Safe travels back home!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Happy you are enjoying a very lovely day.  

I agree, the crew/staff of our cruises is what keeps us coming back.  I also agree to show them kindness and patience always.  If there is a mistake made, my motto is ‘everybody deserves a second chance’! 
I love the newer ships but we are oftentimes finding ourselves on the older ships because of some of the crew that we see as part of our ever growing family.  We keep in touch with many of them long after our cruise is done just to find out which ship they will be sailing on next.  If it’s on the US west coast, we do our best to book our next one on one of those ships just to see them again.  
Safe travels back home!  

Same here we just changed from Panama Canal cruise to a Hawaii cruise on the Grand in January once we found that 2 of our favorite bartenders will still on board for that cruise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Duh, of course you mean entertainment director.  I will find out for you.

Thank you. I updated Emerald this morning, and noticed a blank space for that role on Enchanted.

I should have taken 2 more seconds to spell it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Same here we just changed from Panama Canal cruise to a Hawaii cruise on the Grand in January once we found that 2 of our favorite bartenders will still on board for that cruise

I love that!  I can take it or leave it when it comes to the food and have found it’s the crew and the staff that can make or break a cruise experience.  

• Like 4

More (reassuring, I hope) evidence from on board that not all slots for SD are available on the App in advance.   Despite no slots to book on the App as of 3 or 4 days ago, a walk past of Sabatini's at just after 1900 tonight revealed 9 empty tables (which must be pretty close to 50% of capacity) and shortly after 2030 there were 7 unoccupied tables.  Indicates to me that bookings will be available on boarding (and, maybe, walk-ins, whatever the App may say).  And if that is the case under the current arrangements,  why should it be any different post Premier 90?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

More (reassuring, I hope) evidence from on board that not all slots for SD are available on the App in advance.   Despite no slots to book on the App as of 3 or 4 days ago, a walk past of Sabatini's at just after 1900 tonight revealed 9 empty tables (which must be pretty close to 50% of capacity) and shortly after 2030 there were 7 unoccupied tables.  Indicates to me that bookings will be available on boarding (and, maybe, walk-ins, whatever the App may say).  And if that is the case under the current arrangements,  why should it be any different post Premier 90?

an empty table is no sign of a table ready for seating(s) ... sorry

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Your empathy is staggering. 

Dying. 😆😆 Thank you for sticking up for those of us who apparently have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, let alone treating the people with whom we come in contact with like fellow humans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Empty but set.  What is that a sign of then?

Not enough staff to provide service is why we were turned away with 1/2 empty Crown Grill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1