Norway ports open until 2032 for large ships

Great news.  This is a bucket list cruise for sure.  But solo prices are just so high right now.   
id love to find a good deal for a fjords trip through Norway.    

just did Greek isles bucket list cruise 2 weeks ago.   
and doing a TA to japan next month.   
Norway is next.    Where’s those deals. lol 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What major cruise line has a large "neutral" ship slated to be online even by 2032?

A couple cruise lines have claimed to be putting in hydrogen fuel cells solely for use in those protected areas, but still.

Edited by smokeybandit

1 minute ago, little britain said:

So it looks like RCI abandoned their Amsterdam market too early… wondering if they will be juggling ships for their 26/27 schedule to get back in there now ? 

I'd love to see a ship out of Amsterdam doing a mix of Norway and Baltic cruises

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, little britain said:

So it looks like RCI abandoned their Amsterdam market too early… wondering if they will be juggling ships for their 26/27 schedule to get back in there now ? 

Not sure the abandonment was Norway port limitation related - more likely $ revenue related.

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure the abandonment was Norway port limitation related - more likely $ revenue related.

I say they just sign a long-term lease on a little island up there and call it Perfect Day Norway!

Ca-ching!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Their North Cape cruises sell out every year as do their Iceland trips. 
My friend has just done a great Iceland and Greenland round trip from Southampton on Princess. 

• Like 1

I dont think it was primarily  Royal that chose to stop sailing out of Amsterdam; rather the Amsterdam Govt. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2024/07/03/amsterdam-cruise-ships-cap-crowds/74294779007/

Likely part of the reason they were soft on the protesters. 

We're on the second leg of a B2B on Jewel. Would love to do fjords itinerary again and would be an extra bonus to not have to return to Amsterdam again. 

• Like 1

They could also do easily Norwegian fjords from Copenhagen instead of Amsterdam. They had some years ago the Voyager of the Seas out of Copenhagen. Princess and NCL are returning 2026 for full season cruises out of Copenhagen, hopefully RCI will do the same..

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, little britain said:

Their North Cape cruises sell out every year as do their Iceland trips. 
My friend has just done a great Iceland and Greenland round trip from Southampton on Princess. 

Would love to do an Iceland and Greenland cruise. Might have to look into Princess or other lines as Royal has very limited options.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They could also do easily Norwegian fjords from Copenhagen instead of Amsterdam. They had some years ago the Voyager of the Seas out of Copenhagen. Princess and NCL are returning 2026 for full season cruises out of Copenhagen, hopefully RCI will do the same..

How about Southampton? They do other fjord cruises on Quantum class ships from there, why couldn't they do the Arctic Circle, other Norway cruises, Iceland and the other northern cruises they did out of Amsterdam from Southampton?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

How about Southampton? They do other fjord cruises on Quantum class ships from there, why couldn't they do the Arctic Circle, other Norway cruises, Iceland and the other northern cruises they did out of Amsterdam from Southampton?

Because under the current family-oriented ‘ship is the destination’ strategy, they no longer do many longer, scenic voyages which largely attract a demographic they’d prefer to cater for with the Celebrity brand.

Edited by gumshoe958

5 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Because under the current family-oriented ‘ship is the destination’ strategy, they no longer do many longer, scenic voyages which largely attract a demographic they’d prefer to cater for with the Celebrity brand.

While I completely agree with that for Oasis and Icon, Radiance and Vision class ships are most definitely not "destinations"? 🙂 

That also seems to ignore Project Discovery.

23 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Because Anthem will be leaving Southampton for the last time in a few weeks, to be replaced by Independence and Liberty which are not cold weather ships.. 

24 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Given they have sent Anthem away next year and giving us an older ship that is not suitable to cool climates then I don't really think Royal are that interested in northern Europe at the moment.

It takes 2 days to get to Norway as well from Southampton so going that far north would mean longer itineraries than the week long they currently do - the trend it seems is more shorter trips and Independence in 2025 has a lot more of those.

2 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Given they have sent Anthem away next year and giving us an older ship that is not suitable to cool climates then I don't really think Royal are that interested in northern Europe at the moment.

It takes 2 days to get to Norway as well from Southampton so going that far north would mean longer itineraries than the week long they currently do - the trend it seems is more shorter trips and Independence in 2025 has a lot more of those.

Yes, Jewel was doing these. When we went in 2022, it was a rotation of 3 12 night itineraries. Arctic Circle, Iceland & Ireland (we did these 2 B2B), and I think British Isles. While I haven't looked at the itineraries since, I believe they did the same essential thing last year and earlier this year. Did Jewel go back to the Caribbean earlier than in the past?

My question was more in the sense of Southampton doesn't seem to be that much further than Amsterdam for the purposes of servicing Norway (and Iceland). Could they still do it in 12 nights like today?

1 hour ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They can also go from Hamburg.

3 hours ago, little britain said:

I sure hope so.  I missed Jewel this year, but was planning to book for 2026. 

• Like 1