NEED YOUR RESTAURANT EXPERIENCE IN SOUTHAMPTON-QUAY AREA

We will be staying pre-cruise at Premier Inn (West Quay), Southampton.

Notified the hotel restaurant will be closed for breakfast and dinner during our stay.

Please advise restaurants you recommend.  Prefer casual, family friendly that we can walk to.

Thank you,

azgrandmax3

4 minutes ago, azgrandmax3 said:

We will be staying pre-cruise at Premier Inn (West Quay), Southampton.

Notified the hotel restaurant will be closed for breakfast and dinner during our stay.

Please advise restaurants you recommend.  Prefer casual, family friendly that we can walk to.

Thank you,

azgrandmax3

It has been over 10 years but there was o small pub with fish and chips and another hotel down the road attached an swimming venue that had great sandwiches 

You will be right down the street from the West Quay mall.   Easy walk.  They have a food court.  We had pretty good fish and chips while we were there.   

The hotel is basic but nice.   If you use a wash cloth bring your own.  

If you like Chinese food we like Shanghai 1814 a couple of blocks from the hotel 

What are the dates for the hotel restaurant being closed? We are staying there twice in October.

Edited by TRLD

I like the Duke of Wellington, White Star Tavern, Southampton is very walkable.  I'll be there next Fall on the Emerald Princess.  Can't wait!

Yes, the mall is close by, but I never do fast food, places I can eat in the States when I travel, part of the experience to me.

Your thread will be moved.  But will chime in.  Found a great Italian Restaurant opposite "the Wall" and public gathering area.  It was on the opposite side of the street.  Up a couple of steps but pretty much ground level.

Be prepared...they didn't take cash, but only credit cards since the pandemic. 

There were lots of places to eat.  Plus IKEA....has a food court.  Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast.

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Thaikhun 

Duke of Wellington 

George's Restaurant 

The Pig in the Wall

A few we enjoy when we visit..

We always stay at either Leonardos or the Holiday Inn so I always head to the Pig in the Wall. Just a great place to chill sitting outside with a drink. Not eaten there but the meals look good.

To the above post that referred to West Quay  Mall and fast food options, outside there are a number of restaurants opposite the wall. We've eaten at an Italian there a few times and it was good.

Just around from the Pig in the Wall, on the main street running parallel to the waterfront is Ennios Italian which we enjoyed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

To the above post that referred to West Quay  Mall and fast food options, outside there are a number of restaurants opposite the wall. We've eaten at an Italian there a few times and it was good.

That Italian sounds like the place I was talking about in post #9.

• Like 1

If you like Indian food, Kuti's on the waterfront has excellent food and service and is not overly fancy.  Across the street is the Dancing Man Brewery, a fabulous gastropub.  (And, yes, if the boat show is in town, definitely book ahead.  We know from personal experience.)

Plenty of options in the mall along with those already mentioned to cater for all budgets.

We try to stay at the Travelodge Central

It's nearer the places we like.

For a cheap decent Breakfast we use

The Standing Order on the high street.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/the-standing-order-southampton/

Also a good place if you like cask ales

They have an app so can check what beers are on and food menu with prices.

Cheapest drinking in central Southampton, £2.63 pint.

Food is budget.

For Indian we use Bayleaf kitchen.

https://www.bayleafkitchen.co.uk/

Best traditional fish and chips is on Queensway a short walk from the high street

It is a carry out with a couple of tables

Mike's Fish & Chips

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UeEKPnJQv5nBUtDh8

Also a few decent eats in the oxford street area of Southampton.

16 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Notified the hotel restaurant will be closed for breakfast and dinner during our stay

Was the notification that the Premier Inn West Quay’s restaurant was closed during your visit, how were you were notified by their website or they send you an email?

Opposite the front of Premier Inn West Quay is a large futuristic building with "West Quay Showcase" writ large. Go up the steps on the right side of it to the walkway, It's a line of varied eating establishments with seating both inside and outside looking across at the city wall. Most offer breakfast.

But they're all cloned national & international brands - fine for breakfast but not our scene for evening dining. 

Lots of options for evening dining all within a ten-minute walk, including

The Duke of Wellington on Bugle Street. Attractive 15th C. pub, cosy, eat in the bar or the dining room, good home-made food, good value.

The Dancing Man. On the corner of Bugle Street & the waterfront. Another historic building, a stone-built 14th C. wool house. Chequered history - it has been a POW prison during the Napoleonic wars, a boat-builder's workshop, an early flying machine workshop, a tram depot, and cruisers may remember it as the home of Southampton Maritime Museum. The interior converted to a pub / micro-brewery about 10 years ago. Drinking downstairs, dining upstairs.  Innovative but quite limited menu, my favourite is the Beef Rag & bone

George's  Greek restaurant, on the corner of Castle Way &  St Michael's Street. So very long-established it's become something of a Southampton institution. It's not much to look at, but it's good Greek food, keen prices & generous portions.  

Kuti's, housed in the old Royal Pier Pavilion om the waterfront opposite the Dancing Man is probably Southampton's most well-known Indian restaurant.

Ennio's (Italian) and La Regata (Spanish) restaurants just along the waterfront  are both excellent but rare treats for us - quite expensive. 

Of the other places already mentioned on this thread

- the White Star Tavern (a salute to Titanic's owners, the White Star Line) is a little further, in Oxford Street. A Fullers pub (good food, a little more expensive than most pubs). There's a clutch of other bars & restaurants on Oxford Street

- the Standing Order is a Wetherspoons pub. on High Street. Cheap & cheerful, a drinker's pub. Food is cheap and excellent value. A place to eat cheaply, but not a place to take a new date

- Mike's fish-and-chips. on Queensway. Yes, the best chippie in the city but it's essentially a take-away with a few seats. 

BTW If you're in Southampton at lunchtime, a roast sunday pub lunch is part of the British culture.

But beware of roast dinners on a sunday evening - you don't know how long they've been left to dry-out in a warming oven 😒

Will this be on 21st September for a 22nd September sailing on Sun Princess?

Someone mentioned Southampton International Boat Show - it's on 13th to 22nd September, so it might make sense to pre-book dinner. For pretty-well any venue there's no commitment, not even a credit card number. Just a request that you phone to cancel if you can't make it.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

@azgrandmax3  Is your stay prior to the TA September 23?  We, too, will be staying at Premier Inn West Quay, however have received no notification of the restaurant being closed and we have pre-paid for breakfast.  I have not received any information from Premier Inn regarding this,  I did find an email address for the hotel and have sent a request for more information.  

Thanks, 

Mary 

To begin thank you all so much for recommendation!!  Very helpful.

To answer a couple questions you have asked.

We will arrive and stay at Premier Inn Sunday 22nd and sail Monday 23.

Understand Boat Week ends on the 22nd. We hope people would have left before we are out to dinner.

We were notified regarding breakfast on Sept 1 "Unfortunately our restaurant will be closed from Sept 23rd until  Nov 12th due to refurbishment. Will refund money if prepaid."  This is our first time booking at this Inn.  This was a response I received from an email sent to them asking to make a reservation for out breakfast. Another couple traveling with us did not receive notice. I suspect we did since I made inquiry.  I wrote to them at (southamptonwestquay.pi@whitbread.com)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

To begin thank you all so much for recommendation!!  Very helpful.

To answer a couple questions you have asked.

We will arrive and stay at Premier Inn Sunday 22nd and sail Monday 23.

My bad - I'd somehow figured you were sailing on sun. 22nd. Yes, that evening will just see the remnants of Boat Show participants, so no desperate need to pre-book dinner.

But be aware that some independent restaurants close on sundays

JB 🙂

To John Bull NO you are not bad. Your info is most helpful.

As mentioned we are staying at Premier Inn.  Not sure how far that is to boarding Princess ship?

What should we expect the cost of taxi to pier be?

I have read some walk it. With all our luggage that would not be possible.

AZ grandmax3