Labadee Status?

13 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Does anyone know the current status of Labadee?  I haven’t heard anything lately and was wondering if our stop there later this year is on or off?

It will be restarting in October until notices are sent out cancelling it.  Press reports from Labadee saying it will be opening up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They aren't going to announce that they're doing something that they already have planned to do. I would think the return will be as low key as possible.

Quite so. That would be a tough PR spin ... "Hey everybody, great news! You know that port where we told you we'd be stopping? We're going to stop there!" 🤣

• Haha 3

Or how about an even tougher spin: You know that port that we cancelled because the country is having a civil war and the US State Departments says DO NOT GO TO HAITI? Guess what? RCI has decided that it is safe enough - cause you know, they know more than the State Department - so we are sailing to Labadee again! 

Yes, I know, the fighting is mostly a long way from where the port stop is. BUT, I personally am not comfortable with deliberately going to a country that is having a civil war! 

7 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Or how about an even tougher spin: You know that port that we cancelled because the country is having a civil war and the US State Departments says DO NOT GO TO HAITI? Guess what? RCI has decided that it is safe enough - cause you know, they know more than the State Department - so we are sailing to Labadee again! 

Yes, I know, the fighting is mostly a long way from where the port stop is. BUT, I personally am not comfortable with deliberately going to a country that is having a civil war! 

If you read the state department advisory, it's specific to Port Au Prince. And has been a level 4 for over a year, long before the current issues cropped up. 

Other countries that have port stops on RC's North American routes frequently have level 3 and sometimes level 4 warnings, yet never any issues for cruises.  Why? Because those alerts are specific to certain cities and neighborhoods, ones that tourists should never go to begin with.

16 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Does anyone know the current status of Labadee?  I haven’t heard anything lately and was wondering if our stop there later this year is on or off?

We are scheduled to be there on October 8th on Adventure on the 6 night middle leg of a B3B. RCL has modified port times for both the first leg (8 night Eastern) and the third leg (8 night Southern), but have not changed the scheduled stop in Labadee on the 8th. I guess we will find out where we land when the 8th rolls around.😇

Current UK government advisory 

Haiti

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). Consular support is also severely limited where FCDO advises against travel.

FCDO advises against all travel to Haiti  

FCDO advises against ALL travel to Haiti due to the volatile security situation. There are currently no British consular officials in Haiti and our ability to provide consular assistance is severely limited and cannot be delivered in person in Haiti.

• Thanks 1

ABTA logo

Main navigation

• The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is advising against travel to my destination, can I get a refund?

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is advising against travel to my destination, can I get a refund?

In the event of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advising UK nationals not to travel to a given area, we expect all of our Members to offer clients who are due to travel imminently to that destination, e.g. within approximately 48 hours, the correct options. Members might be able to offer you an alternative holiday. If they can’t, or if the alternative means a significant change to your original holiday, they MUST offer you a full refund of all money paid.

In the absence of FCDO advice against travel, if you cancel your booking the travel company may well impose cancellation charges in accordance with their booking conditions.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jetdriver787 said:

Current UK government advisory 

Haiti

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). Consular support is also severely limited where FCDO advises against travel.

FCDO advises against all travel to Haiti  

FCDO advises against ALL travel to Haiti due to the volatile security situation. There are currently no British consular officials in Haiti and our ability to provide consular assistance is severely limited and cannot be delivered in person in Haiti.

Ouch...our favorite people to cruise with are Brits.😇

• Haha 1

This area is not only far away from places in turmoil, but also is fenced  (protected).

I think Royal would not risk deciding to restart sailings to Labadee otherwise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

This area is not only far away from places in turmoil, but also is fenced  (protected).

I think Royal would not risk deciding to restart sailings to Labadee otherwise.

Good wire cutters will get you thru with no problem 

I'm just saying.

• Like 4

We're scheduled to be in Labadee on Oct 9th and haven't received any notice telling us that "the port you're scheduled to go this day, you ARE going this day"....?!?! But, also no notices that it's cancelling, so i'm expecting to be there and looking forward to it!

• Like 1

We're there in early December. We're looking forward to it.  I've got the Cabana booked as well a zipline trip. I love Labadee and enjoy the serene nature that that private area provides.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We're there in early December. We're looking forward to it.  I've got the Cabana booked as well a zipline trip. I love Labadee and enjoy the serene nature that that private area provides.

I got the coastal catamaran booked. Going up the coast. Hope it's safe. I'll be there xmas week. 

Grrr spell check, fixed it twice and went back to coat. Sailing up the coast, not coat. I'll have to check but right around xmas day.

Edited by firefly333

I posted this before on this site. We received an email a month ago (maybe longer) saying due to security concerns, our cruise was no longer going to Labadee and going to Puerto Plata instead. This is for a cruise in March 2025. I can’t imagine RCI deciding to resume going to Labadee any time soon. It would be a public relations nightmare if they resumed going to Labadee and something happened to passengers there. Just my two cents opinion (and it might not be worth that), but I wouldn’t risk going to Labadee for the forseeable future if I was in charge of RCI. 

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I posted this before on this site. We received an email a month ago (maybe longer) saying due to security concerns, our cruise was no longer going to Labadee and going to Puerto Plata instead. This is for a cruise in March 2025. I can’t imagine RCI deciding to resume going to Labadee any time soon. It would be a public relations nightmare if they resumed going to Labadee and something happened to passengers there. Just my two cents opinion (and it might not be worth that), but I wouldn’t risk going to Labadee for the forseeable future if I was in charge of RCI. 

Yours was cancelled for other reasons, they just used the wrong letter

1 minute ago, Ken at the beach said:

Yours was cancelled for other reasons, they just used the wrong letter

The email literally said RCI is not going to Labadee due to security concerns in Haiti and the safety of passengers is RCI’s top priority. Seems pretty clear to me why RCI decided to change ports. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The email literally said RCI is not going to Labadee due to security concerns in Haiti and the safety of passengers is RCI’s top priority. Seems pretty clear to me why RCI decided to change ports. 

Ken was not disputing the content of your email/letter - just that they sent you that reason in error - it's actually cancelled for a different reason. 

• Like 1