On the mariner now. Evening canapés

A little disappointed that versus the silver seas it appears one cannot get evening canapés delivered to regular suite. It was a high light of our Silversea cruise earlier this year, getting daily canapés delivered by butler at about 5 pm. I phoned room service on Mariner and

they told me to look on the tv menu and chose something. Is there a hack i am missing? I know they make canapés every day because you can get them in bars….

36 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I phoned room service on Mariner and they told me to look on the tv menu and chose something.

I would call room service again and ask what is available.  If not cooperative, ask to speak with a supervisor.

6 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I would call room service again and ask what is available.  If not cooperative, ask to speak with a supervisor.

What is available is what is on TV screen.  Why would you ask to speak to a supervisor?  And the butler canapé menu is totally different from what is available in the lounges.  

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

What is available is what is on TV screen.

I would not have made the suggestion if I had not been successful ordering off-menu items on previous Regent cruises.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

Can you give us some examples please

I have ordered a number of off-menu items including pigs in a blanket, hots dogs, popcorn, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. (I get the munchies at 2AM when leaving the bar). They are not going to say NO to such a simply request...not at $1,000 a day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

I have a favorite sorbet, generally served as the palate cleanser in Compass Rose. I asked if I could get it at the ice cream stand on the pool deck, and they sent some up every day for me. 

9 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Anchovie and caper pizza in La Veranda or Pool Grill.  If you order popcorn from room service you can also get melted butter with it.  Don't forget you can order from Compass Rose lunch menu during lunchtime.  Almost anything can be ordered as a special order in Compass Rose but the special orders cannot be sent to Sette Mari (and difficult to get sent to room service but possible).  

Anyway I had a phone call from the executive concierge regarding my mid cruise feedback about this. He left a garbled message about these only being amenities for suites so I went to talk to him.

he first said that there was a price list for the canapés and said I could purchase them. I asked for a price list and he phoned someone and asked that this be delivered to our cabin (concierge). But they said this not available so he went into back office nd came back a few minutes later to say that he was incorrect and that canapés were definitely not available in cabins other than suites even if you asked for them. And he referred me to amenities listed for each cabin class on the website.

and we are off ship tomorrow anyway and can’t order them anyway….

What they should have done is given you a list of alternatives that could be ordered from room service....rather than saying no. Saying no to guests spending $2,000 per day is the kiss of death.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Anyway I had a phone call from the executive concierge regarding my mid cruise feedback about this. He left a garbled message about these only being amenities for suites so I went to talk to him.

he first said that there was a price list for the canapés and said I could purchase them. I asked for a price list and he phoned someone and asked that this be delivered to our cabin (concierge). But they said this not available so he went into back office nd came back a few minutes later to say that he was incorrect and that canapés were definitely not available in cabins other than suites even if you asked for them. And he referred me to amenities listed for each cabin class on the website.

and we are off ship tomorrow anyway and can’t order them anyway….

Surprised at this. Celebrity offers Canapés for Retreat guests, and even a veranda cabin on Regent is much more expensive than Celebrity Retreat. 

4 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

I've experienced disappointing interactions with the concierge due to his lack of understand or knowledge.  I detest when I know more about a product than a sales person...think automobile dealership...same goes for shipboard personnel.

Regent refers to all onboard accommodations as suites, so don't tell me I'm not sailing in a suite.  I understand the differences...my Concierge Suite is not really a traditional suite, but by Regent's definition it is.

I also understand Daily Canapés is listed as a benefit of Penthouse and above.  Nowhere does it state that those in suites below Penthouse cannot occasionally order them.  I would think the opportunity to make the customer happy would supersede any amenities list. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here's the starters, soup, salads section of the room service menu:

MEZZE PLATTER

Hummus, Kalamata Olives, Feta Cheese, Dolmades, Pita Crisps, Vegetable Crudites [330/13/10]

*GRAVLAX

Cured Salmon, Honey-Mustard Sauce, Multigrain Bread

CHILLED JUMBO SHRIMP COCKTAIL

House Cocktail Sauce, Lemon [80/1/0]

*CHARCUTERIE & CHEESE PLATTER

Salami, Pepperoni, Coppa, Ham, Brie, Swiss Cheese, Hard-Boiled Egg, Pickles, Farmer¡¦s Bread

VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS„¥

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

SALAD OF MESCLUN GREENS & VEGETABLES

Choice of Dressing: Balsamic [210/21/1], Ranch [180/18/1], French [150/14/1]

BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP

Gruyere Cheese, French Bread

TOMATO CREAM SOUP WITH TARRAGON

[90/5/2]

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Choice of Chicken, Shrimp or Plain Parmigiano-Reggiano, Croutons, Anchovies

VEGETABLE COBB SALAD

Assorted Greens, Tomato, Hard-Boiled Egg, Avocado, Chickpeas, Roquefort, Chives, Olives, Ranch Dressing

BUFFALO CHICKEN SALAD

Assorted Greens, Vegetables, Blue Cheese Dressing [420/20/4]

In particular, the first five items are similar to some of the canapés in my opinion.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

Here's the starters, soup, salads section of the room service menu:

MEZZE PLATTER

Hummus, Kalamata Olives, Feta Cheese, Dolmades, Pita Crisps, Vegetable Crudites [330/13/10]

*GRAVLAX

Cured Salmon, Honey-Mustard Sauce, Multigrain Bread

CHILLED JUMBO SHRIMP COCKTAIL

House Cocktail Sauce, Lemon [80/1/0]

*CHARCUTERIE & CHEESE PLATTER

Salami, Pepperoni, Coppa, Ham, Brie, Swiss Cheese, Hard-Boiled Egg, Pickles, Farmer¡¦s Bread

VEGETABLE SPRING ROLLS„¥

Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

SALAD OF MESCLUN GREENS & VEGETABLES

Choice of Dressing: Balsamic [210/21/1], Ranch [180/18/1], French [150/14/1]

BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP

Gruyere Cheese, French Bread

TOMATO CREAM SOUP WITH TARRAGON

[90/5/2]

CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD

Choice of Chicken, Shrimp or Plain Parmigiano-Reggiano, Croutons, Anchovies

VEGETABLE COBB SALAD

Assorted Greens, Tomato, Hard-Boiled Egg, Avocado, Chickpeas, Roquefort, Chives, Olives, Ranch Dressing

BUFFALO CHICKEN SALAD

Assorted Greens, Vegetables, Blue Cheese Dressing [420/20/4]

In particular, the first five items are similar to some of the canapés in my opinion.

Dave

Yes we did order some of those when we were told we could not order generic canapés. It’s just that I had just great memories of the selection of hot and. cold canapés waiting for us in the stateroom on the Silversea when we got back from excursions (albeit organised by butler).

The solution seems simple to me. If you want butler service book a room that includes a butler in the price. It wouldn’t make sense to me that Regent would include a service, such as canapés, with a particular suite category then give it away to lower category passengers. 

• Like 12

On 9/12/2024 at 2:26 AM, mrlevin said:

Anchovie and caper pizza in La Veranda or Pool Grill.  If you order popcorn from room service you can also get melted butter with it.  Don't forget you can order from Compass Rose lunch menu during lunchtime.  Almost anything can be ordered as a special order in Compass Rose but the special orders cannot be sent to Sette Mari (and difficult to get sent to room service but possible).  

Is it possible to order from the Compass Rose menu at lunch time? Thats great!

Edited by Winters Gate

On 9/13/2024 at 1:39 PM, drkitkat123 said:

Yes we did order some of those when we were told we could not order generic canapés. It’s just that I had just great memories of the selection of hot and. cold canapés waiting for us in the stateroom on the Silversea when we got back from excursions (albeit organised by butler).

So, I have to ask  - is your next cruise on Silversea because they give you snacks before dinner?  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

So, I have to ask  - is your next cruise on Silversea because they give you snacks before dinner?  

I suspect most people book based on Itinerary, Ship, what's included etc I expect the reason for stating they are available on Silversea regardless of category and served by your butler is simply highlighting some basic things are included on other lines but not available on Regent and were a little disappointed at the responses they were given. Why should that be a problem?

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 8:53 AM, Syd58 said:

Surprised at this. Celebrity offers Canapés for Retreat guests, and even a veranda cabin on Regent is much more expensive than Celebrity Retreat. 

Completely disagree with your comparison. Not anywhere near the same sort of product.

Edited by edgee

I was always too full from lunch to eat canapés and knowing that if we had pre dinner drinks in the lounge, then a lovely selection of hors-d’oeuvres would be served, followed by a scrumptious dinner. Pass on canapés but we were in a suite that offered them, we just didn’t need them. 

Edited by czardas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, irishwitchy said:

Overall I found the food much better on regent than Silversea. My wife, however, really loved the daily lunch sushi and sashimi on Silversea (a few bits and pieces on regent). However, we did find the outside dining areas in the evening ie the Grill on Silversea to be better for our dining preferences. The canapés were just an annoyance…..