The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 13th, 2024

Today is Bald Is Beautiful Day, International Chocolate Day, and Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day

If you're naturally kind, you attract a lot of people you don't like. - William Feather

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Eggplant Salad
Drink of the Day - Metropolitan
Wine of the Day - Bota Box Pinot Grigio
Destination of the Day - Roseau, Dominica

Today in History:
1501 Michelangelo begins work on his Statue of David, a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

Victoria, BC, Canada   2000-2359

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC, Canada eta 09-14

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome

Porto, Portugal   0800-1700

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona

Giardini-Naxos, Sicily   0800-1600

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland eta 09-14

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal

Halifax, Nova Scotia   0800-1800

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska    1000-1030

Juneau, Alaska                             1330-2200

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City

Quebec City, Quebec   0100 arrival-overnight

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan

At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan eta 09-17

image.thumb.png.fa1a7d2ffa8fd5741609450d256c6351.png

image.thumb.png.a5282f1406dbc5f2e55f553be0fe1fc3.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 28

Good morning friends!  Not much to say this morning except we are all ready to go.  DH will turn the water off to the house at the meter underground near the street.  No way do we want to take a chance on having unlimited amounts of water running through a burst pipe while we’re gone.  Weather is looking like rain and 68F.  Weather in Ohio for the wedding has turned around completely and looks like the rain won’t reach us for the wedding day.  Yay!!

Thanks to Rich @richwmn, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, Ann @cat shepard and Vanessa @JazzyVfor preparing the Daily and Fleet Report, the food and beverage reports as well as the Care and Celebrations lists.  I won’t take the time now to discuss the topics but know you will all enjoy hashing them out.  Prayers for all on the Care list, my DB and those in peril in the Middle East (citizens, hostages and U.S. troops).  I hope we get some good news today from several of you.  Vanessa @JazzyV, I'm glad you’re home now.  Roy @rafinmd, I hope you’re well rested and ready for your therapies today.  Jacqui @kazu good luck with your closing of the house.  Cheers to everyone celebrating special events today and cruising!

The port today is Roseau, Dominica.  I haven’t been there yet but have it scheduled in January 2025.  Previous dates for Roseau are April 2, 2021 and June 4, 2022.  Here are the links to help you retrieve your photos for everyone today.

Hoping we all have a tremendous Friday.  Stay safe and keep well!!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Greetings from Westerdam where it is now 8:17pm on Friday the 13th. We have crossed the International Date Line and effectively skipped Friday.

Hope everyone is doing well, have a great Friday and weekend!

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, awaiting test results

StLouisCruisers traveling to DGD Ashley’s wedding

Cruzin Terri’s PMR flaring up again

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, on IV abx, PE, awaiting rehab

Rafinmd (Roy) discharged to rehab

Hoping Nicklepenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, awaiting pathology results

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s vascular issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Smitty34877’s DB spending time with the family, helping out

Sharon in AZ with good eye exam after new floater & flashing in one eye

Kazu moved into new home

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas Sept 18 to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 23

Good Morning from a warm day at the beach

@StLouisCruisers  safe travels to you. Enjoy the wedding!    Hope you are feeling better soon.

@rafinmd  Roy hope today finds you doing better. 
     Not much to report here. All is well. 
have a busy weekend but all good.
   Have a great weekend.

Be safe and enjoy today

charlene 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Metropolitan cocktail:

The metropolitan is a classic brandy cocktail that's nearly as old as the Manhattan or Martinez. It's equally simple and a brilliant way to showcase a great bottle of brandy.
This recipe dates to around 1900 and mixes brandy, sweet vermouth, sugar, and bitters. It's also sometimes known as the brandy Manhattan, though that recipe typically skips the metropolitan's syrup.
Other cocktails have taken the metropolitan name as well. The most popular is made of black currant vodka, cranberry and lime juices, and (sometimes) triple sec. It is very similar to a cosmopolitan and was created during the 1990s in New York City.
Ingredients:
2 oz. brandy
1 oz. sweet vermouth
1/2 teaspoon simple syrup
2 dashes aromatic bitters

Directions:
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the brandy, sweet vermouth, simple syrup, and bitters.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Serve and enjoy.

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 6.21.05 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

Thank you Sandi for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 46°F.

I love chocolate and sold chocolate for over 35 years so this is a good day for me.

Excellent quote.

When you are generous there are always people ready to take advantage of you.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday the Thirteenth!!  It's always been a wonderful, lucky, and great day for me!!  I started my best and most favorite (and last) job on Friday the thirteenth of February, 1998...

Thank you all for the Reports and Daily!!

Bald may be beautiful, but as a woman, I pray that I personally never discover that on myself!!!  (Less hair, thinning hair probably, but not NONE!)

CHOCOLATE -- what EVER could be wrong with celebrating and honoring this!!!??!!!

And, as long as the kids clean the kitchen...  EXCELLENT!!  (I have no grand or greats to ask...  but I have an adult child who lives here!!!)

Mr. Feather is brilliant...  Shall we choose to be unkind???  Nah, let's just learn to tolerate those folks we don't really like to be around!

The food and beverages are wonderful choices!!

And Roseau, Dominica...  I'm sure I've sailed passed it...  but never visited!

As for the Statue of David...  I can't imagine working on a piece of art for three+ years...  I do my paintings in less than a month -- normally!  And my pottery or clay or paper mâché pieces maybe in two months or less!

• Like 35

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi for today's daily reports.

It is sunny and 46°F.

I love chocolate and sold chocolate for over 35 years so this is a good day for me.

Excellent quote.

When you are generous there are always people ready to take advantage of you.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Selling chocolate...  being around chocolate...  DAILY!!! 

A job made in heaven!!!!  Of course you have to sample everything, multiple times so you can truly sell and LOVE it!!!

• Like 23

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Friday the Thirteenth!

Another cool morning, but the afternoon should feel like summer.  The daylight hours are getting shorter but the temperatures are great.  I'll wait until the sun is up a little more before Bertie and I go for a walk.  My neighbour reported hearing coyotes the other morning.

I'll gladly celebrate chocolate day.  I agree with Lambie, bald may be beautiful for some men, but as a woman, I don't want to try it.  No kids to take over the kitchen here, but I hope the kids learn how to cook and clean up after themselves.

I like the quote and it won't keep be from being kind.

I'll pass on the meal, but yes to the drink and the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

@StLouisCruisers enjoy the wedding.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Another 3 wonderful days - especially chocolate! I also don't want to be bald, but do suffer from thin/thinning hair. I'll pass on the meal and cocktail but have had the wine and visited the port.

We'll see if posting pictures works - have never tried before. My first visit was in 2021 on Rotterdam, back when people still had to wear masks (even outside on excursions). We did the trolley tour, as there wasn't much to pick from back then and it was a way to see a little of a new port.  We saw the school bus that had been crushed by a tree in a hurricane (nobody was injured), some mangroves, and the catholic church. 

Dominica12TrolleyTrain.thumb.JPG.5d3492ea21fb58b90d16c954f838a0eb.JPGDominica15Mangroves.thumb.JPG.be8456cfae2cdc526eb735231795a6f0.JPGDominica18HurricaneTreeonSchoolBus.thumb.JPG.abdb92edf8d596a9158791e1305bde50.JPGDominica22CatholicChurch.thumb.JPG.1293d0a8c9dacf8f1b7a98e09827a6d9.JPGDominica23CatholicChurch.thumb.JPG.fead7317f45c94b5359c849572033d91.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Chocolate. Nothing else needs to be said. It is an important part of the five main food groups which I guess makes it the 6th food group. Important non-the-less. 

Early start today. Just back from having bloodwork taken. Then chiropractor, massage, and I scheduled a live class for my internship students. Hopefully I can nap. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Friday The 13th Cat Meme

• Like 31
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  A great group of days, we all know someone who is bald, let's celebrate them and of course chocolate.  Quote is probably true.  We have been to Roseau a couple of times, once on the Volendam and the second time on the Eurodam.  

Vanessa prayers for you as you are battling cellulitis.   Prayers for Roy as you work your way through rehab.  Continuing prayers for Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Terri and Jim, Sandi's DB, Bonnie, Melissa, Pat and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Jacqui I hope your settling in is going well.  Prayers for all in war zones.

Our dinner at the local tavern with neighbors was fun.  It was nice to see everyone before we depart early tomorrow.   Lots of shut down and cleaning to be done today.  There is always an onerous task for John, going into the rather deep crawl space and go through the pipe draining process.  At least I have gotten him to commit to taking down the Starlink dish today.  I will miss tomorrow with all the work for shutting down and probably Sunday.  Have a wonderful weekend! Nancy 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi! Kudos for getting it posted on your travel day. Safe trip! Enjoy your DGD Ashley’s wedding. 

Yesterday was another day of torrential downpours. I got soaked walking from the car to the nail salon and then again from the car to the pharmacy for my vaccine! Bindi and I did find a couple of small lulls where we got a mini walk in.  On a positive note, I haven’t had to add water to the pool. 

Vanessa, happy to read you are home. Hope those meds do their job. Fast. Thank you for never missing a beat - no matter where you are. Praying that your recovery is quick and complete. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, supper out with friends.

IMG_3418.jpeg.5ee785702bc39ea44cf92c635ce7442b.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg.eef82e185f04f6792e7455c7c0e1838d.jpeg

Fifth in our Denali NP sign series…

IMG_3369.jpeg.07e380bb99353149ca01a6ed91b6ecff.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry & DB, Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Annie & Chuck, Nancy’s DB - Nick,  Pat, & Ann, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. Hoping @Nickelpenny is ok. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Vanessa is home!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Bota Box Pinot Grigio

Another boxed wine to explore! Easy to find and decently priced. Sounds perfect for a hot, humid day. Online prices start at $16.99.

Winemakers notes

Bota Box Pinot Grigio is fresh and fruity and delivers juicy, medium-bodied flavors of white peaches and citrus, with a clean, refreshing finish laced with pineapple and floral notes. Serve chilled.

PAIRS WITH

Perfect after a long afternoon hike or a long day at the office, or pairs well with no-fuss dinner entrees like pork stir-fry, grilled chicken salad or adult Mac n’ Cheese with a spicy kick of chorizo.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 3

We were talking n Roseau this year on the Eurodam.  We decided to take in lunch ashore at a little restaurant that is very visible from the ship.  The restaurant is Le Petit Paris.

IMG_20240208_111859707_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240208_111802069.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240208_120702665_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240208_120534608_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240208_120527557_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240208_063807942_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240208_114459547.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

In March of this year while aboard the Zaandam, we had a short stop in Roseau, Dominica, our port of the day.  We took a tour that was just an overview of the island since we’d never been to this island.

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.52b9ddfb1d3eb3ceafdfb263c4e0bd4a.jpeg

IMG_6188.thumb.jpeg.1e29dae19dd01e48e66672817fdd89bc.jpeg

IMG_6186.thumb.jpeg.15b875e11ed5f63b24c9dde7ec892ecc.jpeg

IMG_6190.thumb.jpeg.23b87cecf8ffaf7c53c67a35949c7f05.jpeg

IMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.df4f104ea6691c0ab3f53ec67fecd9f8.jpeg

IMG_6184.thumb.jpeg.9609cd62c4feba725adaa9a3f45336c1.jpeg

IMG_6183.thumb.jpeg.4123dc36013c0def1e13e7bd5856f1e8.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10