New Princess Money Grabber Water Package Now $24.00

hpeabody

2 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

Good to hear from you. Been a long time since our collabs (going back to 2012) posting OBV cabin photos.

Sadly, I agree that the entire reason for this ridiculous increase is to force people into packages. We still won't bite on that. 

I remember the good old days posting our cabin pictures. "Donated" the site to a well known site which post pictures 😉. Thanks for remembering.

Theo

• Like 3

Well, we will just have to bring loads of cans of water onboard at embarkation. £8 from Bookers or almost £20 from Princess.

Interesting to see that there's no mention in the passage contract about either bottles of wine or soft drinks. I thought it previously mentioned one bottle of wine and only cans/cartons of a certain size.

It's been a bargain at that price for quite a while now so a price increase wasn't that much of a surprise.  But $7.09 to $24 is quite a leap.  Glad I already have water ordered for my December trip.  We will have the package but it's less of a hassle to just have them in the room - or it was at the old price.  And I didn't order them for the cruise after that as it's a suite and it's easy to get them.

2 minutes ago, rosevew said:

Well, we will just have to bring loads of cans of water onboard at embarkation. £8 from Bookers or almost £20 from Princess.

Interesting to see that there's no mention in the passage contract about either bottles of wine or soft drinks. I thought it previously mentioned one bottle of wine and only cans/cartons of a certain size.

Just bring them.  If they make you dump it, so be it.  I'd gamble it since water is cheap when not purchased on the ship.  

What I can say, is I've never been stopped from bringing water bottles onboard at embarkation or while in port.  YMMV.

I really doubt Princess is ditching plastic water bottles.  If you read the itemized description it says "Stateroom BOTTLED Water Package."  No mention of boxes or cartons of water.  And I doubt they are using glass.

In the States, there's too much concern over plastics and recycling in general.  In California, it's been proven that recycling is just to make the consumer feel better, but very little of what consumers put into the recycling bin gets recycled.  California charges a CRV tax on beverages in plastic containers, but the locations where consumers can cash out has dwindled.  It's so bad that Targets and drugstores now have a deal to take back CRV containers and pay out the CRV, but investigative reporting shows that much of it still ends up in regular garbage dumpsters despite California having passed strict garbage, compost, and recycle separation laws.

24 minutes ago, rosevew said:

It's on Luggage Tags and in FAQ's: 

• Bringing alcohol
    Guests can bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation day, without a corkage fee if consumed in their stateroom. Additional bottles will incur a corkage fee, and the ship may refuse excessive quantities. Alcohol purchased at ports or duty free from The Shops of Princess will be held by the ship's crew and returned to the guest on the final day of the cruise. 

• Bringing non-alcoholic beverages
    Guests can bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages in cans or cartons on embarkation day, but not in checked luggage. This is limited to 12 sealed, unopened cans or cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. 

•  
Edited by tothemall&beyond

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

The regular sized bottled water is $2 each onboard.  Unless Princess is raised the price onboard, doesn't make sense to pre purchase water.  You don't save anything.

Princess might want to rethink this one because it's been reported on this board that some with packages still like to pre purchase bottled water out of convenience.  At $24 for 12, can't see anyone with a package wanting to pre-purchase at this price.  If you get them at a bar with a package, it's already included.

Wouldn't you save the 18% service charge?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

It's been a bargain at that price for quite a while now so a price increase wasn't that much of a surprise.  But $7.09 to $24 is quite a leap.  Glad I already have water ordered for my December trip.  We will have the package but it's less of a hassle to just have them in the room - or it was at the old price.  And I didn't order them for the cruise after that as it's a suite and it's easy to get them.

In a suite you will get at least 2 bottles every day replenished by your room steward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wouldn't you save the 18% service charge?

My friends parents purchased a few large 1 liter bottles for $5 on the Emerald last January and only $5 showed on their folio.  No SC.  I only know because they have bad vision and it was our job to audit their folio.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

In a suite you will get at least 2 bottles every day replenished by your room steward.

Right, which is why I didn't order water for that cruise, only for the one before it when we are in a mini suite.  You can also grab water bottles from the suite concierge lounge on Royal class ships.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

I really doubt Princess is ditching plastic water bottles.  If you read the itemized description it says "Stateroom BOTTLED Water Package."  No mention of boxes or cartons of water.  And I doubt they are using glass.

In the States, there's too much concern over plastics and recycling in general.  In California, it's been proven that recycling is just to make the consumer feel better, but very little of what consumers put into the recycling bin gets recycled.  California charges a CRV tax on beverages in plastic containers, but the locations where consumers can cash out has dwindled.  It's so bad that Targets and drugstores now have a deal to take back CRV containers and pay out the CRV, but investigative reporting shows that much of it still ends up in regular garbage dumpsters despite California having passed strict garbage, compost, and recycle separation laws.

I am currently in London.  Water bottles in stores are glass. EU countries are similarly cutting out plastic bottles.

Have been on other cruise lines where any water bottles are metal.

Even though i live in California, it does control the regulationd that cruise ships have to deal with, both when buying products, and, 8n thos case, having to off load waste in mamy countries around the world.

Best way to not have to recycle plastic bottles is to not sell them in the first place.

A couple of years ago Princess announced plans to reduce plastic waste on board.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

Just saw this. 12 pack of bottled water ordered pre-cruise just went up from $7.08 to $24. I would understand a modest increase but this is just greedy.

This happened several years ago and we did an email campaign and they reversed it.

If you care about this - email: customerrelations@princesscruises.com, or contact them via chat or their 800 number. Anyway you feel comfortable contacting them.image.thumb.png.ab44b236dfdfb315939fa3611ee7b1ad.png

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

This topic was started 5 hrs ago.  Link below...

I saw the headline - just had no idea it was related to water bottles from the title. I wish the title had been different.

Regardless, I hope people contact Princess. It worked several years ago and they reversed it.

No one on that thread suggested emailing Princess.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Even though i live in California, it does control the regulationd that cruise ships have to deal with, both when buying products, and, 8n thos case, having to off load waste in mamy countries around the world.

That's why much of the waste on ships isn't unloaded.  It's incinerated.  

In terms of Princess, they can try and reduce plastic use, but their Medallions have a battery with a short shelf life and a chip in inside of them which is hard to access making them unrecyclable.  In addition each Medallion is single use.  So much for caring about the environment.