If your travelling ompanion is a noshow can you upgrade to plus package as a solo traveller on day 1 onboard?

ddvgww

My husband and I are going to upgrade to plus package once onboard our December cruise.  Our friend is coming with us.  As Princess were not accepting solo bookings she booked and paid for a balcony cabin for herself and her adult daughter.   Her daughter will not actually be going on the cruise and will just not turn up on the day.  Will our friend be able to upgrade to plus package as a solo traveller or will they insist she pays for both people to upgrade even though her daughter is not actually on board?

I cruise solo on Princess.  I have never encountered being told they will not accept my booking, EVER!.  We pay double the price, we get no discount.  It is the same money 1 or 2 persons in the cabin, so I do not know why she was told that.  Except for rare instances they may drop a special single fare, usually on a cruise not selling well)  I think this is unusual and maybe she was given wrong information.  Do you mind providing more detail about the booking. Ship,sailing date, method of booking etc....  Maybe then we can advise. The taxes were paid X2 and I think she may be able to fight that, but not the cruise price. 

To get to your question, I suspect she WILL be able to go to Guest Services to purchase the PLUS package once on board.

Based on my experience YMMV

It may be that we only booked it kinda last minute so all the single cabins were long gone.  Normally we book our cruises well in advance and she doesn't have a problem getting a cabin.  I know they limit the number of cabins they will sell to single travellers on every cruise.   The three of us have 2 more Princess cruises booked for next year and our friend had no problem booking a cabin just for herself on them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I cruise solo on Princess.  I have never encountered being told they will not accept my booking, EVER!.  We pay double the price, we get no discount.  It is the same money 1 or 2 persons in the cabin, so I do not know why she was told that.  Except for rare instances they may drop a special single fare, usually on a cruise not selling well)  I think this is unusual and maybe she was given wrong information.  Do you mind providing more detail about the booking. Ship,sailing date, method of booking etc....  Maybe then we can advise. The taxes were paid X2 and I think she may be able to fight that, but not the cruise price. 

To get to your question, I suspect she WILL be able to go to Guest Services to purchase the PLUS package once on board.

Some cruise lines are getting picky about how many cabins for one they are allowing per cruise.  I have been unable to book as a solo on MSC, Carnival, and Celebrity at times, especially if it is within a couple months of the date.  Sometimes they have special cabins for solos, and if they are all booked they won’t allow a solo to book a regular cabin.  EM

• Like 1

Re hpeabody's reply this cruise (I am pretty certain I am on the same one  Crown Princess Dec. ) was showing no availability for solo bookings for 9 months or so. So yes they do limit the number of solo bookings. It is now showing availability for solo bookings for  mini suite and suites yet plenty of OV and balcony cabins still available for 2 + passengers.  And no last minute price reductions yet.   When I booked in Nov last year the solo supplement was only 120% instead of 200% hence the high volume of early solo bookings.

11 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I know for a fact that Princess has some sailings where they will not allow solo cruises. My agent was surprised a year ago when she was told this. My agent is one of the top Princess agents.

So yes, this exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It certainly seems like the roundabout way of doing this but once they know for sure that the other passenger will not be boarding, she shouldn’t have any trouble booking the package for herself. 
I’m still rather surprised at the inability for make a solo booking.  

This is legit according to my agent. She has encountered it on a few sailings for clients.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ddvgww said:

My husband and I are going to upgrade to plus package once onboard our December cruise.  Our friend is coming with us.  As Princess were not accepting solo bookings she booked and paid for a balcony cabin for herself and her adult daughter.   Her daughter will not actually be going on the cruise and will just not turn up on the day.  Will our friend be able to upgrade to plus package as a solo traveller or will they insist she pays for both people to upgrade even though her daughter is not actually on board?

When she checks in, I would let the person know that the 2nd person was not able to make it. Nothing else needs to be said.

I do believe she will be able to buy Plus onboard just for herself.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I’ve been sailing solo for the last couple of years. I can understand why they do this, even though the solo is paying the double fare, there is no on board spending for a second person. If this is even the reason for doing it. 

On the other hand - solos kept the ships sailing during the pandemic. The ship's would have sailed pretty empty with out them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coral said:

On the other hand - solos kept the ships sailing during the pandemic. The ship's would have sailed pretty empty with out them.

I’m not understanding your comment.

No one was sailing during the pandemic, ships sat with minimal crew. Are you saying only solo people were cruising once the restart? 

Not sure what that has to do with this topic. 🤔

9 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I’m not understanding your comment.

No one was sailing during the pandemic, ships sat with minimal crew. Are you saying only solo people were cruising once the restart? 

Not sure what that has to do with this topic. 🤔

Once the ships started sailing, there was a record number of solos sailing on the ships. Those cabins would have been empty with out the solos sailing. The revenue would have been considerably less with out the solos occupying the cabins.

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

I’ve been sailing solo for the last couple of years. I can understand why they do this, even though the solo is paying the double fare, there is no on board spending for a second person. If this is even the reason for doing it. 

I get that theory that the cruise lines go by but whether I am traveling alone or with someone my spend on board isn't any different and that includes knowing the drinks package is a waste of money for me and I never use the spa/gym/maybe one specialty dining depending on the cruise length.  The people I sometimes travel with have very different cruising pleasures and we do different excursions as well.  The idea that two or more people in a cabin automatically doubles the non-fare revenue is delusional.

24 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

I get that theory that the cruise lines go by but whether I am traveling alone or with someone my spend on board isn't any different and that includes knowing the drinks package is a waste of money for me and I never use the spa/gym/maybe one specialty dining depending on the cruise length.  The people I sometimes travel with have very different cruising pleasures and we do different excursions as well.  The idea that two or more people in a cabin automatically doubles the non-fare revenue is delusional.

The cruiseline cares about REVPAR.  It stands for revenue per cabin or room with a motel.  Two people in a room spend more than one.  On average about 20-30% more.  Thus desirable to have 2 or more in a cabin. 

• Like 2

Early this year I booked relatively late.  Solo was not available.  I booked for two - with plus.  My husband was unable to go after all last minute.   I knew his cruise would be nonrefundable at that point.

I asked if they could give me ship credit for his plus package? No. Could they upgrade me to Premiere? No. Could they refund port fees taxes. NO Could I use his casual dining ?  NO

18 minutes ago, Hillmom said:

Early this year I booked relatively late.  Solo was not available.  I booked for two - with plus.  My husband was unable to go after all last minute.   I knew his cruise would be nonrefundable at that point.

I asked if they could give me ship credit for his plus package? No. Could they upgrade me to Premiere? No. Could they refund port fees taxes. NO Could I use his casual dining ?  NO

Next time I would book with out Plus and then buy it onboard if you are unsure if he would be able to go. 

On 9/25/2024 at 7:32 AM, Coral said:

Once the ships started sailing, there was a record number of solos sailing on the ships. Those cabins would have been empty with out the solos sailing. The revenue would have been considerably less with out the solos occupying the cabins.

As a travel advisor I respectfully disagree. There was an increase in solo travel, but not so marked as to have made a large impact on the cruise (or other travel) industries.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jwattle said:

As a travel advisor I respectfully disagree. There was an increase in solo travel, but not so marked as to have made a large impact on the cruise (or other travel) industries.

I heard from someone from Princess the opposite. There is a reason they dropped the solo supplement on these sailings to fill cabins.

Edited by Coral

On 9/25/2024 at 7:32 AM, Coral said:

That's because it was the same cost booking for one or two in cabin. We booked several voyages as one person per cabin, but we truly weren't solos. Friends did this also. One person per cabin to rack up cruise credits and maximize shareholder credit. If elite already, a minibar per cabin. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's because it was the same cost booking for one or two in cabin. We booked several voyages as one person per cabin, but we truly weren't solos. Friends did this also. One person per cabin to rack up cruise credits and maximize shareholder credit. If elite already, a minibar per cabin. 

There were plenty of solos booking that were not couples.