The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 18th, 2024

Good morning, thanks for the report! I like meatloaf as an occasional cozy dinner but prefer sandwiches the next day with way too much mayo. Yes to all the recipes!

It’s still dark here and a nice 51 degrees and I can hear the wind blowing (doors open), supposed to get up to 40mph winds today. Lots going on today, housekeeper this morning, landscapers coming to do some plant change outs, granddaughter has a cold to we’re watching her today. We also need to figure out how to get a Target and Costco run in too. Haven’t decided on our take out tonight but already looking forward to days end and watching Survivor which we recorded.

@Haljo1935. @aliaschief Hope bother procedures go smoothly.

@SeaSickSailor @SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday ladies! 🎂

@grapau27 Hope you have a warm Remembrance Day, the food looks delish.

@dobiemom Safe travels, condolences on the loss of your aunt.

Enjoy the day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning!  Quick post this morning as I am running behind.  I HATE meatloaf but the other days are ok.  I am such a fan of Peter Pan!  I will pass on all the food and drink and never been to Wales.  Interesting days in history!

Wasn't as dark as usual on arising as the moon was still up.  Cool morning and we are heading to a cool down and maybe some rain soon.  Off to sub for my friend at the HS.

Thoughts for a smooth and uncomplicated procedures today for @Haljo1935@aliaschief DW and @kazu.  Happy, Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailor and @SusieKIslandGirl.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Trust me, you don't want to see me in leggings; I have a couple of pair that I only wear under jeans in the winter.  DH has some beautiful neckties, but doesn't have the opportunity to wear them often.  Yes to meatloaf; it's a family favourite!

Brrr this morning; when I got up about an hour ago we had a temp of -8(17F) and although it's supposed to be sunny, we're only looking at a high of 11(51).  I'm glad I took the summer jackets downstairs and brought up the fleeces and warmer pieces to put in the hall closet.  Did you see that beautiful moon this morning?  When I got up it was shining so brightly that it made for wonderful moon shadows in the back yard.

We had our covid and high dose flu shots yesterday and didn't have any issues until last night when DH got chills for a couple of hours.  Today it feels like I've been punched in both arms, but that's all; we're fortunate in that we haven't ever really had reactions to the various vaccinations.  

@Haljo1935 good luck with your torn meniscus surgery today and @DWAliaschieffor your knee replacement surgery.  DH said "Tell her to do all the exercises!"  He speaks from experience.

@kazuI hope the cataract measurements go quickly so you can get back to Ivan, and that surgery isn't far off.

@Seasick SailorHappy Birthday to you; I hope they treat you like a queen onboard!

@SusieKIslandGirlwishing you a very Happy Birthday with many happy and healthy returns of the day!

@grapau27thinking of you and Pauline as you memorialize Pauline's Mam today.

Not a lot going on for us today, just cardiac rehab program and that's all we have on our calendar - that means maybe I'll have time to start putting things away from the deck, getting it ready for the coming cold season.  I'm going to have to look into getting replacement cushions for the furniture (love seat and 2 chairs) as they're starting to become quite soft.  

I'll pass on the drink and the wine, but will take down the 3rd recipe - DH doesn't care for white beans, but that one indicates substituting potatoes which would be good.  Of course it's Friday night pizza night here, so later this afternoon we'll head out to a little restaurant and pick up something hot and cheesy that we will enjoy at the kitchen table for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

I don't plan to wear any leggings, and I only wear a necktie for funerals where I'm the officiant. I won't be wearing a necktie at my own funeral, because we bury in special garments with a closed casket. I misread the third of the days and thought of Mike Stivic on All in the Family.

I don't know about pixie dust, but according to astrophysicists, everything is made of stardust.

The soup would be OK. I plan to make a stew of beans and whole-wheat Israeli couscous for lunch. The drink might be too sweet for an aperitif but not sweet enough for a dessert. I could find yet another Sauvignon Blanc from the FLX but instead let's try a Cayuga White. This variety was developed by Cornell at the New York Agricultural Station in Geneva and makes a rather similar wine, but is much more cold-hardy. We'll go with the one from Glenora, the first winery to release it commercially, $13.99. 

In Oregon, ca. 1978, I worked with someone who was fascinated by D.B. Cooper.

DBCooper.jpg.d6a7c8225d9e2b6369493ed3de4ca8fb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Thanks for our TGIF Daily Sandi & Rich and thanks to Vanessa, and our F & B team.

OMG if DD DH were here, he would happily celebrate neck tie day.  I like the Peter Pan quote and yum on the wine 🙂 

Back  from the ophamaologiest and it was quick.  Grateful I had the early morning appointment now as the waiting room held close to 30 chairs and I’m sure they will be packed later.  I thought I was all done and called them with a question on the pre-op instructions and was told I had another appointment for next week for testing.  ‘Sigh’.  I’m hoping they have made a mistake as it’s the same time as my previous appointment that was done today.

@wdw1972 safe travels today

@aliaschief Bruce wishing Sue @DWAliaschief the best for her surgery today.

@Haljo1935 best wishes for your surgery today.

Maarci @dobiemom hugs to you for your Aunt’s celebration.  It’s an emotional time and I hope you can find some joy in the good memories as people share.

Prayers for those on the Care list & all those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and fortunate enough to cruise.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

@Seasick Sailor

My sister! ❤️you!!!

Sent your special birthday wishes on the live with Rich!

Have a fantastic day enjoy to the fullest!

Will be back to read CC later!

I believe your still asleep 💤 so enjoy your coffee and Allen and I believe your going to Hilo or at Hilo today?

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

❤️Denise

image.thumb.jpeg.014c1da56098fa06aa50e549fa2303dd.jpeg

• Like 19

Good morning. Woke this morning to thunder snow!!! It was brief and now it is raining and supposed to continue for the next couple of days. The mountain peaks will be white when the sun next appears. Dogs and I managed to get out during a lull in the action.

The house is thoroughly pulled apart and things are stacked everywhere. Last night I watched some TV and ripped up some papers. Have more that needs shredding and I think when the weather improves I will take it to Mail Boxes to shred.... my little shredder is just not up to the job. The actual work on the backroom by Leo and crew will start on Tuesday.

Off to make some phone calls and then remove the last few items from storage. Where did all this junk come from? Did I really buy some of this stuff?

Susan

• Like 23

Good morning and thanks all!  Wales is beautiful, but it’s been awhile! 
@Seasick Sailor happy birthday!  Enjoy! 
@SusieKIslandGirlhave a bread day! 
@aliaschief sending good thoughts for your DW! 
@Haljo1935 hoping the rest of the day goes well! 
@dobiemom sad when we lose these dear aunts!  How wonderful she was able to stay in her home most of  her life!  
Off to see my oncologist of long standing, who is retiring.   Happy for him,  sad for me, he also cared for my DM

IMG_2648.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, 

DD DH would love meatloaf day1 Add in the mashed potatoes day and he'd be all set. Meatloaf was his favorite meal. As for me - not so much. 

Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailor Joy and @SusieKIslandGirl! Have a wonderful day. 

@DWAliaschief and @Haljo1935 thinking of you and hope all goes well. 

Yesterday I stayed home and got quite a bit done. Everything from some laundry to cleaning up the living room and getting the Halloween cards out to the Canadian "greats". 

Today the rain and wind is coming in and it is supposed to be a not pleasant weekend. Today I have stops at Costco, WM, Hallmark, Fred's and a class at the pool so am quite busy. That means I can stay home all weekend. Tomorrow I'll be a lasagna making machine as I make my own noodles and have a fairly easy BBQ lasagna recipe that DDIL has requested for her birthday meal on Sunday. That and cheesy bread (with lots of extra cheese) will be the menu. We call it "Linner" as we get together around 2 PM so a combination of lunch and dinner. 

Have a good day!

Karen

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

My crown just fell out while waiting at my connecting airport. Luckily my cousin is a dentist and he can fix it temporarily until I can get home. So far it’s not sensitive but I’m not eating or drinking right now. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

Good morning all!

It's another rainy day here, and we had to postpone the roof/gutter cleaning yet again. Even 30 mph winds are expected now.  If only the weathermen could get it right. 😉  If we have to postpone again next week, it will have to wait until we get home from our Princess cruise.

I'm really not a fan of leggings, DH isn't a fan of neckties but will wear them when he has to.  We both like meatloaf on cold weather nights.  I'll pass on the meal (unless potatoes are substituted for the white beans), pass on the drink, but would love the NZ wine.  We were in Holyhead Wales in 2014.  We took a tour to see Caernarfon Castle.  I was having problems with photos so just have a few of the castle, not of the port.

The gas fireplace guy has come and gone.  As expected with a 30-year-old fireplace, it needs the gaskets replaced.  Hoping they can find them for this fireplace, and that it won't cost an arm and a leg.  We use it a lot in the winter.

@Haljo1935 Thinking of you today and hoping all goes well with your surgery.  What a bummer about the dead battery!

@DWAliaschief Good to hear that all went well with your surgery.

Happy Birthday @Seasick Sailor!

Happy Birthday @SusieKIslandGirl!

Just a couple photos of Caernarfon Castle the day we were in Holyhead Wales.  

CaernarfonCastle.jpg.8b680ecc8d02df5118c816b1a97d1dc5.jpg

C.Castle.jpg.789a219df70725642ac9ed49f49b1bca.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @StLouisCruisers @richwmn.

I don't wear leggings or neckties, but appreciate a good meatloaf (I'll have to see if I have the ingredients)! Cute quote. Maybe on the meal, if the spices are right. Pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Holyhead, Wales. 3 good days in history.

It's sunny and going up to 60F, although it was 36F this AM. I did get my cacti brought in yesterday, although an arm broke off my cholla (I'll pot it and hope for a new plant). I had some trouble falling asleep, but managed to sleep in after waking up briefly to post the Cares List (please excuse the typos!). No plans today, maybe just some relaxation.

@Haljo1935 @DWAliaschief Prayers for good surgical outcomes today and easy recoveries.

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday Susie!

@Seasick Sailor Happy Birthday Joy!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. I'm glad you will be seen quickly by the Oncologist.

@grapau27 Hugs to you and @Paw13 Pauline as you both remember her Mam Ruth today. Nice that you went to lunch at a place with shared memories and then strolled the promenade. Pauline looks lovely, as usual.

@cat shepard I hope they straighten out your generator. BFF has one and it does a brief self test every week; was yours doing that?

@Heartgrove Hang on to the handrails with those rocky seas.

@RMLincoln Enjoy viewing the "rocks"! 

@dobiemom Safe travels and hugs to you and your family as you Celebrate your late Aunt. Oh no on the crown; you're lucky to have a dentist in the family!

@wdw1972 Safe travels, have a painless dental visit, and enjoy dinner with DS and family. 

@aliaschief Great fall photos.

@kazu I'm glad the measuring is done, and hopefully you'll be on the surgery schedule soon.

@Cruising-along Thanks for sharing your Holyhead photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

our day in Holyhead Wales in September, 2019 on board the Seabourn Ovation.

Today we docked in Holyhead, Wales in the UK.  The major employer in Holyhead, up until just a few years ago was an aluminium works.  Note that I have spelled it in the British way despite the dislike of my spell checker (take that spell checker!) as that is how it is spelled here and that is how it is pronounced.  Apparently the process for refining the aluminum got too energy greedy and there wasn’t enough profit to be made.  Our cruise ship pier was the old pier for the aluminium works and its entire length is only wide enough for one vehicle to travel at a time - add to that no space to turn around a large vehicle ... well, they have to either back in or back out which creates all sorts of traffic snarls.

The physical plant of the works is now occupied by an environmental company that is doing things like recycling plastics, turning plastics into oil and all manner of new wave technologies - no idea how that is working for them.

The port area is mainly there to serve the Irish Ferry services where several gigantic ferries come and go each day.

The drive to Castle Caernarfon was through a bucolic town and onto the A5 four lane highway where we passed bucolic fields.  There is a “mountain” in town where, we are told, some of the finest slate in the world is quarried.

Sorry tried to make the font larger but I have failed.

In the mid seventies on our first trip to Britain and our first venture in Wales we were driving a car (a small white mini ala Mr. Bean) and I remember that we stopped somewhere to ask for directions which were generously given by one of the very friendly Welsh but totally unintelligible.  The names of the places that were spoken, and the names of the places on our map did not match at all - we finally had to ask our Welsh guide to point to the towns on the map to decipher our route.

Today we were guided and transported by others.

The castle itself is large and very medieval.  In fact the last few Princes of Wales have been officially inaugurated here (there is a better term for this that escapes me) and, of course, we were treated to pictures of the ceremonies that took place in the large courtyard pictured on the photo that I sent you this morning.

After our time at the castle we had some time to wander the bucolic village in which it resides - full of all manner of gift shops and services for the tourist as well as an open air market full of used books, CD’s, fruit, clothing and other stuff.  Of particular note was the brick and mortar shop called the Cats Protection charity shop.  I had to, of course, spend a few pounds there.

The rest of our day was full of all those unmentionable luxuries that we are bathed in on board ship.  We are currently steaming towards tomorrow’s port, Liverpool.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon. The day has gotten away from me. My DD DH , like Karen’s  @luvteaching,was always very happy when meatloaf was on the menu. It took me a while after he died to make it again but our teenager requested it and I couldn’t say no. I think leggings look very nice on other people. I have been to Wales but not the port. The recipe looks wonderful in all  of the variations.

@aliaschief, Bruce, thank you for the good news about DW! Glad to hear all went well.

@cat shepard, thank you ,as always for your kind words. Tana is struggling  but continues to keep trying. Yesterday I got her out of bed into the wheelchair and we had lunch together in the kitchen. She was exhausted and couldn’t eat too much but we were both happy to do something normal.

The hospice sends their counselor on occasion but we both find that person less than ideal. We have thought about trying to find someone who could come in person and pay privately but I don’t think it will be easy. Mental health professionals are not taking new clients here and do a lot of video visits when they do. We will keep on and carry on.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Most people love leggings but I'm not one who wears them. Neckties are good but not seen as often these days. Meatloaf was always a despised meal growing up, and I have no desire to try again. The drink is a maybe and the wine a definite yes! Never been to the port.

It was a chilly 51 here this morning but will be up to around 80 by the time I arrive in Ft Myers this afternoon. Our happy hour last night was a lot of fun. The Laser Beam was unanimously declared "good but the painkiller is better". Still, fun to try something new. Looking forward to getting on the road at 10 for the drive south, dental appointment at 3, then meeting son's family for dinner at a restaurant new to me.  The plan at this point is for DH to stay home and meet me at Disney Sunday, but he tends to change his mind a lot. Won't know for sure until I pull out of the driveway - with or without a passenger 😉

@RMLincoln Maureen - wow, 22 cousins?? That's a big family, and how nice you're able to get together. Travel planning sounds fun too.

@kazu Jacqui - good luck with the cataracts measuring. Hope the procedure will be scheduled shortly once this is done.

@cat shepard I'm not a biker but have accidentally seen how those crowds affect the area! Too many people, too much noise, etc. Hopefully minimal "trouble".

@aliaschief Bruce - hoping Sue's knee surgery goes well today

@Haljo1935 - omigosh, what a way to start the day! On the way to one of my reconstructive surgeries the car died - it was so stressful! Fortunately we were able to contact a friend who came and gave us his car to get to surgery while he waited for AAA and went to a shop with our car.

Happy Birthday to the birthday girls @Seasick Cruiser and @SusieKIslandGirl

Warm thoughts to @grapau27 Graham & Pauline as they remember to Pauline's Mom today

Sue/WDW197

Sue, I hope you have a safe trip today, and that the dentist visit goes well.  Enjoy your dinner with your son's family.  Enjoy your visit to WDW Sunday.

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s that time of year in my home state of Vermont. Beautiful foliage and now snow meets the two seasons.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5db0c7de0ddb979dc3d117373d2d5d9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f2b2bc6b4448c6911fcdb131daf03cdd.jpegimage.jpeg.110738afd1da08d4aac1a662e8a23555.jpeg

Beautiful pictures, Bruce.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Just briefed by surgeon. All went well and she will be in recovery soon.🙏 Thanks for your caring wishes. B.

Great news that Sue's surgery went well.  I hope her recovery goes well too.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

My crown just fell out while waiting at my connecting airport. Luckily my cousin is a dentist and he can fix it temporarily until I can get home. So far it’s not sensitive but I’m not eating or drinking right now. 

Marcia, I'm glad your cousin can help with the crown.  DH carries dental glue with him for just such emergencies.

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon. The day has gotten away from me. My DD DH , like Karen’s  @luvteaching,was always very happy when meatloaf was on the menu. It took me a while after he died to make it again but our teenager requested it and I couldn’t say no. I think leggings look very nice on other people. I have been to Wales but not the port. The recipe looks wonderful in all  of the variations.

@aliaschief, Bruce, thank you for the good news about DW! Glad to hear all went well.

@cat shepard, thank you ,as always for your kind words. Tana is struggling  but continues to keep trying. Yesterday I got her out of bed into the wheelchair and we had lunch together in the kitchen. She was exhausted and couldn’t eat too much but we were both happy to do something normal.

The hospice sends their counselor on occasion but we both find that person less than ideal. We have thought about trying to find someone who could come in person and pay privately but I don’t think it will be easy. Mental health professionals are not taking new clients here and do a lot of video visits when they do. We will keep on and carry on.

Terry, I'm sorry Tana is struggling so much, but it's good she keeps trying.  I'm glad she was able to get out of bed and join you for lunch in the kitchen yesterday.  You are all in my thoughts, daily.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@cat shepard I hope they straighten out your generator. BFF has one and it does a brief self test every week; was yours doing that?

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Vanessa

Yes, mine does a weekly self test. 

I learned a few things today.

It is 19 years old, one of two its age still working that my tech services. He was impressed. The company still makes circuit board for my model, but that is it.

And this tech was the first to tell me that every time it kicks in & runs, I need to shut it off once a day & check the oil, since they burn oil. I now know how to do that, what kind of oil it takes and where to add it. 

I need to start saving to replace it. I have lived here 8.5 years and this is the first time it has not kicked it. Hoping to get another year out of it. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1