bon voyage bayview5 and all on Sun Princess

Hi there, they did get to Russian Port, however immigration was very slow and a lot of passengers didn't get off.

some were not impressed by the place.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Wow Lorraine,

That is disappointing. It seemed to be one of the nice bonuses of doing a port that not many cruise ships travel to.

immigration was very slow and a lot of passengers didn't get off

Thanks for the update Lorraine.After all those days at sea, it would be very dissapointing not to make it ashore,especially at such a remote and exotic port.Had I been on the cruise it would have beeen a highlight call.I dont think there are many people who been to Petropavlosk.

I checked it out on google maps .Sure is remote.

Passport check holds up passengers

Paul Bibby

August 25, 2008 - 8:41PM

Advertisement

About 1600 Australian cruise ship passengers were forced to wait in a Russian port for five hours today, as local authorities took hours to make a series of passport inspections.

The Sun Princess, which left Sydney on July 14 carrying 2000 passengers - mostly Australians - was held in the port of Petropavlovsk on Russia's east coast as the Russian navy checked and re-checked every passport.

The Herald understands the cruise ship was blocked from leaving the port by two naval frigates.

"We were meant to leave at 4.30pm, but they didn't let us go until 9.30," one passenger, Ellie Fitz-Gerald from Sydney said.

"It was very frustrating. They came on to collect the passports at 5.30am - all they had to do was stamp them. But they took forever to process them. Some people couldn't even get off the boat because the authorities wouldn't give their passports back. They were just stuck on the boat. Then they insisted on checking them all again. The captain was furious."

Local authorities did not explain why they had kept the boat so long.

However, the port of Petropavlovsk has played a role in the stoush between Russia and NATO over the decision of the former to send troops in Georgia.

News website Chinaview.com reported on August 19 that Russia had refused to allow a US warship into Petropavlovsk as part of the NATO-led Open Spirit 2008 naval exercise, because of the body's support for Georgia.

Australia has close ties with NATO and has spoken against the invasion of Georgia.

Passport check holds up passengers

Paul Bibby

August 25, 2008 - 8:41PM

Advertisement

About 1600 Australian cruise ship passengers were forced to wait in a Russian port for five hours today, as local authorities took hours to make a series of passport inspections.

The Sun Princess, which left Sydney on July 14 carrying 2000 passengers - mostly Australians - was held in the port of Petropavlovsk on Russia's east coast as the Russian navy checked and re-checked every passport.

The Herald understands the cruise ship was blocked from leaving the port by two naval frigates.

"We were meant to leave at 4.30pm, but they didn't let us go until 9.30," one passenger, Ellie Fitz-Gerald from Sydney said.

"It was very frustrating. They came on to collect the passports at 5.30am - all they had to do was stamp them. But they took forever to process them. Some people couldn't even get off the boat because the authorities wouldn't give their passports back. They were just stuck on the boat. Then they insisted on checking them all again. The captain was furious."

Local authorities did not explain why they had kept the boat so long.

However, the port of Petropavlovsk has played a role in the stoush between Russia and NATO over the decision of the former to send troops in Georgia.

News website Chinaview.com reported on August 19 that Russia had refused to allow a US warship into Petropavlovsk as part of the NATO-led Open Spirit 2008 naval exercise, because of the body's support for Georgia.

Australia has close ties with NATO and has spoken against the invasion of Georgia.

That is certainly a news worthy event. One I don't think I would forget in a hurry if I was on that cruise.

the cruise ship was blocked from leaving the port by two naval frigates.

I dont like the sound of that:confused:

Shame when politics interfers with a cruise.We missed a call to Gibraltar on QM2 once ,as Britain and Spain were having a border spat at the time.

Yes, many Kranky Kruisers in Ruski on SP. I wonder if any shore tours took place, or if many got off at all, imagine the revenue lost to the Russians and they sure need it.

Yes after many sea days the pax would have been looking forward to getting on to terra firma for a few hours. I don't reckon Carnival will send their ships that way again.

According to http://pocruises.com.au/html/s814.cfm They don’t get to Osaka, Japan till tomorrow (Fri 29 Aug)

The itinerary I have has them at sea 2 days from Russia. Scheduled departure 4pm Monday 25 August......arriving Osaka 8am Thursday 28 August. Guess the delayed departure is the reason they are still at sea :confused:

Well they made it out of the clutches of the Russian Navy to Osaka. I hope the SP pax enjoy Osaka..we ended our Pacific Theatre cruise (Syd-Osaka, 2006 - Pacific Princess.) there. We had a couple of post cruise days there. The Japanese are really well organised at Osaka Port, a nice city too, some nice gardens as I remember it.

Well they have turned the corner on this epic journey. Thanks Kiwi for the pics. I am looking forward to some more updates on their roll call. I have an old workmate on board for the 75 days but he has sent no emails ! I have another friend and wife joining SP in Beijing on 3 Sept for the run home..hope he sends me an update or two.!

Thanks Kiwi Kruzer and Kiwi cruiser.......the Sun Princess CCers will love seeing all your wonderful shots on their return. I've followed with interest as almost booked the Circle Pacific. Pleased I decided on Hawaiian Discovery instead ;) :) .

B E V

Archived