Who's going to Alaska in 2010?

brunolvr

We just booked a cruise to Alaska for July of 2010 for our 25th anniversary. This is our first time to Alaska. Any suggestions for excursions besides booking with the Princess excursions? Also, we are planning on starting at Van Couver and ending in Whittier. We would like to take the train from Anchorage into Denali and suggestions there?

Look over the shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Look over this board, then repost specific tour information for more direct answers. There are many long time independent vendors to consider.

I suggest you add at least 4 days if you want to include Denali Park. By rail is very restrictive in lodging selections as you need to arrange transfers and also can limit your selection of access into the park. Rental cars offer way more, if of interest.

I just booked our cruise to Alaska yesterday ! I am so excited. This is my husbands 1st and my 2nd. I always have wanted to go to Alaska and when i told him ,, he wanted to go too ! I have so many questions for that time of year. And what kind of clothes to bring. It seems the average is about 70-75? Any particular sites that i should see? I am very excited about this. it seems like a dream come true !

You are going to be in sorry shape, if you just bring 70-75 temp clothing. :) In my opinion, ANYTIME you go, you need a wide range of attire, meaning, yes those few pair of shorts and t shirts, but ALSO a lined jacket, knit hat and gloves, layers, rain gear.

Unless you are NOT going to be out during any of your glacier sailing day, you will need the warm attire.

You are going to be in sorry shape, if you just bring 70-75 temp clothing. :) In my opinion, ANYTIME you go, you need a wide range of attire, meaning, yes those few pair of shorts and t shirts, but ALSO a lined jacket, knit hat and gloves, layers, rain gear.

Unless you are NOT going to be out during any of your glacier sailing day, you will need the warm attire.

We had a heat wave on our land portion,but I quickly discovered my Florida winter coat wasn't quite enough for the Glacier viewing Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi everyone. We just booked our first cruise ever. Celebrity Millennium Southbound cruise August 27th 2010, for my 50th birthday and my dh and I's 30th wedding anniversary. I'm really excited!!:):)

Congrats on all of the above You will truley love Cruising Alaska and the Millie.One of my favorite ships and cruise lines.

Yes, I'll be gone three weeks, including a RV rental for interior Alaska. Hitting the usual, Seward, Homer, Valdez, Denali Park, Fairbanks.

Hi Budget Queen. We had put our Alaska adventure on hold for a couple of years and are now finally going to do it. Do you have reviews somewhere we could read. We are doing a similar trip. We are driving the Alaskan Highway, plus a cruise, taking about 5 weeks, maybe 6. Would love to get more tips for the land portion.

Hi everyone. We just booked our first cruise ever. Celebrity Millennium Southbound cruise August 27th 2010, for my 50th birthday and my dh and I's 30th wedding anniversary. I'm really excited!!:):)

Congratulations on all the events and welcome to cruising. Alaska will be a great time for a first cruise. It was my first cruise in 2008 on HAL Westerdam. I had a blast. I kept myself busy with excursions booked through the ship. I did that because I am a solo traveler and thought it would be safest for the first trip. I am going again in 2010 since I got hooked as so many on here have. You can find a lot of good information from reading the boards here. My next trip will be somewhat of a B2B in that 1st part is Aug 25 on HAL Volendam a 7 day cruise tour and then I finish that 2 Sept in Anchorage and then go over on the 5th of Sep and connect with HAL Ryndam for a 7 day cruise back to the South ending in Vancouver. I begin and end in Vancouver with an extra day both pre and post. I decided that if I was really going to see Alaska I would use up a few of my funds for future years and really enjoy this time. Again I hope you have a wonderful time planning and be sure to ask all the questions you need.

Congratulations on all the events and welcome to cruising. Alaska will be a great time for a first cruise. It was my first cruise in 2008 on HAL Westerdam. I had a blast. I kept myself busy with excursions booked through the ship. I did that because I am a solo traveler and thought it would be safest for the first trip. I am going again in 2010 since I got hooked as so many on here have. You can find a lot of good information from reading the boards here. My next trip will be somewhat of a B2B in that 1st part is Aug 25 on HAL Volendam a 7 day cruise tour NB and then I finish that 2 Sept in Anchorage stay over 2 days and on the 5th of Sep go connect with HAL Ryndam for a 7 day cruise back to the South ending in Vancouver. I begin and end in Vancouver with an extra day both pre and post. I decided that if I was really going to see Alaska I would use up a few of my funds for future years and really enjoy this time. Again I hope you have a wonderful time planning and be sure to ask all the questions you need.

OK. Finally got it booked. So many choices... and then not so many....

This will be our 2nd cruise (Navigator Oct 2009 - western Med) so very excited. We will be taking our 16 Year old daughter Elizabeth too.

After much looking, initial preference RCL, then wanting to do a Southbound, then deciding not to this time.... we have gone for Princess round trip from San-Francisco. I know its a long way south, but we Love SF and it seems to give us all we want, slightly longer cruise, all the way up to Glacier Bay and most of the stops we wanted. Will put off the interior until another year!

So we managed to find a Balcony stateroom and will be on the 10th August sailing on the Sea Princess.

Look forward to meeting some of you when we get there.

We booked with NCL sailing out of Seattle August 28th thru Sept. 4th on the NCL Star.

This is our first trip to Alaska but have sailed with NCl a number of times before.

We are really looking forward to this trip because I think I've got my daughter and her hubby talked into go with us,,,, maybe:). That will be their first cruise ever, so I'm really hoping they can make it.

Larry M.

We are contemplating the HAL Amsterdam for July, 2010 for the 14 day itinerary. We have completely fallen in love with Alaska and can't wait to get back there again! This cruise would take us to places was have not been like Homer, Kodiak and up to Anchorage. How wonderful!

My wife and I booked our "First Alaska cruise" on the Celebrity Millennium. We are doing a cruise/tour of 13 days starting in Fairbanks, Alaska on June 26, 2010. We are meeting the ship in Seward on July 2nd. This is our 5th cruise since 1993, but the first other than the Caribbean. Hope for good weather for our 25th Anniversary and my 70th birthday.

Live in FT WTH, driving to Seattle for May 15th departure on Rotterdam. This is 1st cruise to Alaska @ 1st HAL. Last 2 cruises this year on Carnival Conquest. Hope we picked good time of year, not too cold/enough sunlight. We are 68 and looking forward to this cruise.

My husband & I are booked on the Sapphire Princess rt Seattle for May 23. I went on a 13 day cruisetour last September & am now hooked. This will be his first time to Alaska & his first(possibly last) cruise. I hope to return inland to Denali & Kenai in 2011 if job holds up.

Archived