Who's going to Alaska in 2010?

brunolvr

We were going on the Sapphire Princess 6/13/2010,but changed to the Golden Princess 6/12/2010 because I found out it is going up to Glacier Bay next summer.

We'll be on the Golden Princess on 6/12/2010 too. We're going with our son and some friends. We chose this one for Glacier Bay too. This will be our first Alaska cruise and a lot of people told me we had to see Glacier Bay. I can't wait.

Okay, I know the 2009 season is only a month or so old, but who's booked an Alaska cruise for next year?

We just booked the NCL Pearl for May 30, 2010 and I don't know how I'm going to be able to stand the long, long wait. We got back from our 7th cruise to Alaska just 2 weeks ago today, and I'm ready to go again!:D

Who's going to play the waiting game with me?:)

Only a little over 8 months for me!! Carnival Spirit June 1 2010!

are we there yet?

are we there yet?

are we there yet?

:D

We were on the Amsterdam about 22 months back. Singapore to San Diego via Australia, Indonesia, mid Pacific islands and Hawaii.

Excellent ship. Very clean. Not one of these giants of the seas but then it is large enough to offer a wide selection of amenities. We had a balcony stateroom amidship right across from the laundry and never had any problem at all with noise. We would have preferred anytime you wish dining instead of traditional, as our 6 tablemates were from the most expensive uppermost suites. Believe they thought they were a cut above the rest of us, needless to say, we didn’t share the same ideological and sociopolitical philosophies but we did all get along okay even at that. Had to bite my lip a lot though, in a way, it is a shame when one parts with that much dough, for a voyage, you have to feel muzzled. At that time the Amsterdam only had traditional dining but understand now anytime dining is offered. We also discovered that the Pinnacle Restaurant, extra charge dining, was really good and a lot of fun. Also, it was the first time I have ever appreciated a buffet on any ship. We used to use only the main dining areas as the buffets seemed more like low budget prison chow lines. This one was clean and offered a lot of options. Food, for a change, was covered and usually the portions were placed on your plate by a crew member. In the Amsterdam’s buffet we didn’t witness passengers pawing through food like bacon and such with their grubby bare hands. We enjoyed the buffet so much that when we were on the Prinsendam a few weeks later, for three months, we used that ships buffet and the Pinnacle a lot. The Amsterdam has pod propulsion and is pretty quiet and vibration free.

Hi, Kennicott! Since you know so much info about the Amsterdam, could you tell me if she has any 2-bedroom suites? That 14-day cruise sounds like a winner!:)

We are booked on the July 31st Sailing of the Golden Princess. This wil be our second attempt to see Alaska. We were offered a "move over" from Princess to give up our cabin in September 09.

Did you have a special balcony cabin or something? or did Princess just over book it? Did you gain anything money wise for making the switch? I assume you could switch your flight plans easily and it didn't cost you anything or did Princess pay for that also? ordid you have cruiseline Air?

Jimbo:)

Did you have a special balcony cabin or something? or did Princess just over book it? Did you gain anything money wise for making the switch? I assume you could switch your flight plans easily and it didn't cost you anything or did Princess pay for that also? ordid you have cruiseline Air?

Jimbo:)

Jimbo,

We were offered a move over as a result of an oversell of our Caribe deck balcony. We were offered a mini suite for next season and a healthy OBC to make the switch. We were able to book our trip next year in a mini suite on a better (drier) week for next year and we were we still able to book a trip to Mexico for cheap for the week we were supposed to be in Alaska.

We were not flying into Seattle, as we were booked on Amtrak so the switch to next year was no problem with Amtrak. Princess did offer to help out with airfare issues had we needed as long as we proved financial damage as a result of taking their offer. Overall, their deal worked great for us. We know others who were given the same offer, but they were no takers.

Jimbo,

We were offered a move over as a result of an oversell of our Caribe deck balcony. We were offered a mini suite for next season and a healthy OBC to make the switch. We were able to book our trip next year in a mini suite on a better (drier) week for next year and we were we still able to book a trip to Mexico for cheap for the week we were supposed to be in Alaska.

We were not flying into Seattle, as we were booked on Amtrak so the switch to next year was no problem with Amtrak. Princess did offer to help out with airfare issues had we needed as long as we proved financial damage as a result of taking their offer. Overall, their deal worked great for us. We know others who were given the same offer, but they were no takers.

Is it common practice for Princess to overbook its cruises, especially in Alaska? They seem to be the only line where I frequently read of this happening. I know that any line can have last minute cancellations and airlines have been notorious for this practice, but it seems that in this day and age, most cruiselines are able to hold this problem to a minimum and do not have to overbook to insure that they will sail full.

We're with you on 2010 - the only thing is it's our first! We're going on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Sea from San Diego to Vancouver and it's 13 nights. Any tips for newbies? Clothes in May? Points of interest? Any help is appreciated. I CAN'T WAIT!! Been looking forward to this for years. We'll be celebrating our 50th anniversary (we're doing a half marathon a couple months before so we're YOUNG for old people).;)

Going on my first cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam's new 14 day itinerary, leaving June 14. Mad keen photographer so am looking forward to photographing Alaska every which way!!!

Welcome to our cruise.We have 2 threads going on.both on Roll Calls. One is for our cruise June 14,and the other is for all the cruises where we are brainstorming about tours and anything that may come to mind,since this is the first time HAL has offered this itinerary.

Welcome to our cruise.We have 2 threads going on.both on Roll Calls. One is for our cruise June 14,and the other is for all the cruises where we are brainstorming about tours and anything that may come to mind,since this is the first time HAL has offered this itinerary.

Here is the link to the thread in Roll Calls where Alaska brainstorming for tours is going on. There's LOTS of good information in the posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039990

Although not my first cruise, it's my first cruise to Alaska and I've been taking copious notes from that thread by copy/pasting into word and also bookmarking lots of sites. :cool:

Here is the link to the thread in Roll Calls where Alaska brainstorming for tours is going on. There's LOTS of good information in the posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039990

Although not my first cruise, it's my first cruise to Alaska and I've been taking copious notes from that thread by copy/pasting into word and also bookmarking lots of sites. :cool:

Thanks NMLady and alpha1993. I've joined my rollcall and have been browsing the other thread on the general Amsterdam 14 day 2010 itinerary. Combined with this board, I'm sure we'll get some great ideas to make the most of our time in Alaska!

Archived