Can you buy Tim Tams in USA?

Definitely an acquired taste - since we were fed PB&J sandwiches since infancy! My DD and I spent a very nice vacation in Fiji several years ago. We were the only Americans. There was one German couple and all the other guests were Australian. We routinely pack what is known as "cheese and peanut butter crackers", as they are cheap, pre-packaged, and easy to pack. Makes for an easy and tasty snack. Well, they were the talk of the resort, as no one else had ever seen them, apparently. One night after dinner, we had a "jumping frog" contest. We were each assigned a frog, which we had to name (Ours was "Damn Yankee"). The winner got $50.00, and the loser had to eat a 6-pack of our cheese and peanut butter crackers! It was hilarious watching this young guy and his girlfriend (from Melbourne) trying to choke them down...with several glugs of Fiji Bitters!

I understand what you are saying regarding the different foods. I have been looking at an online US grocery site planning to have some groceries delivered to our resort in Anahiem when we stay for a week after our cruise.

I am at a loss :confused:. I don't know where to start. I have never heard of most of the brands that you have and I am just flabbergasted at the different flavours of icecream you have available. I am amazed at the amount of frozen foods you have available and don't get me started on the issue of bread. Do you not have just plain wholemeal brown bread?

I am sure I will find enough to order so that we don't starve and I am SOOOO looking forward to going to one of your supermarkets to just wander in awe at your selections........:D

People from Sydney are known locally as "Sydneysiders" :)

For all the Aussies preparing to be dazzled by encountering US supermarkets for the first time - another shock factor for Aussies is the unit size. Plastic 4 litre milk bottles or 700g packets of potato chips are common. There may even have been 2kg boxes of Corn Flakes(?)

If you need a SAO fix sometimes you can find what they call "Cream Crackers" which are a very good substitute. There's no substitute for Vegemite, though I've seen Marmite there occasionally. And Copha is, from what I can tell, entirely unknown, so no chocolate crackles during your stay.

ObTimTam: I've never had any problems bringing lots and lots and lots of TimTams into the US, Canada or the UK, just by always declaring them.

:D

For all the Aussies preparing to be dazzled by encountering US supermarkets for the first time - another shock factor for Aussies is the unit size. Plastic 4 litre milk bottles or 700g packets of potato chips are common. There may even have been 2kg boxes of Corn Flakes(?)

OMG :eek::eek:

Hello. Another happy Tim Tam lover here - thanks to you!!

I am so happy you will get to visit a US grocery store. I just love to visit grocery stores wherever I visit - so many new goodies to try.

I must tell you that I now have some Vegemite in my possession that my daughter got for me from the World Market in CA. I am getting ready to try it -- :eek: or :D

Thank you again for sharing some of your wonderful treats with us here. Enjoy your cruise.

I am so happy you will get to visit a US grocery store. I just love to visit grocery stores wherever I visit - so many new goodies to try.

I must tell you that I now have some Vegemite in my possession that my daughter got for me from the World Market in CA. I am getting ready to try it -- :eek: or :D

Thank you again for sharing some of your wonderful treats with us here. Enjoy your cruise.

We too love to visit grocery stores when out of the U.S. It's really interesting what different products are available in other countries and how they stock them.

As for World Market, that's where I found Tim Tams a few months ago. Don't know about vegemite, 'cause there's no way I'm eating it. :eek:

Just remember not to put too much on. Best to try it on hot buttered toast first try. YUMMY! Use less than a half level teaspoon per slice of bread, no more.

Sorry Eileen, but at least I did give it a try. If you recall, we spent 5 weeks in Australia. Love your country; hate your vegemite. One out of two "ain't" bad. ;)

Oh, Ok Pia. At least you tried it, unlike a lot who just bag it without trying it.

After your next jaunt to Australia you will have to be classed "Platinum Honorary Aussie" LOL.

Eileen -

When you visit one of our local supermarkets, you will see such a vast display of "brown bread" that it will make your head spin! A whole aisle-length 4-shelf bread area awaits you! There are so many brands and flavors, it will be hard to choose. Oatmeal, five-grain, bran, whole grain, etc. The cheap bread is the all-American white bread....about $1.00 - $1.50 a loaf, and twice as much bread....but lighter in weight. The more expensive breads are the ones I've just mentioned, and can run from $2.50 - $5.00 a loaf. Usually about 20 slices per loaf. That's just bread! Wait until you see aisle after aisle of frozen foods! And then there are the the fresh produce and the deli areas. It's sometimes hard for us natives to negotiate these mega-markets! I once spent 30 minutes in our new Kroger trying to find a stupid jar of Cheez-Whiz...the employees didn't know where it was, either! You're either in for a treat or a trial!

P.S. - if anyone knows where I can get Irish soda bread, please let me know. TIA

Edited by imsulin

Eileen -

When you visit one of our local supermarkets, you will see such a vast display of "brown bread" that it will make your head spin! ...You're either in for a treat or a trial!

Hi Eileen, when we lived in the US, one of the interesting things for our visitors was to experience the size of one of those US mega-marts, particularly the cereal aisle. Astounding variety there. (I lived in the US for 17 years - and now I live on the Sunshine Coast.)

Some packaged sliced brown breads in the supermarket may be too sweet for your Vegemite-influenced Aussie tastes. Check out the in-store bakeries for bread which is more like Baker's delight (Aussie chain). Whole Foods and Harris Teeter are my favourite supermarkets, they should be in Anaheim.

Another thing about US supermarkets - they sell all sorts of medications over the counter, many that in Oz you would have to consult a pharmacist about. I usually stock up while we are on our annual visit to the US. And don't forget to visit Target - it's nothing like the Sunshine Plaza version over here. I love the US Target. It is mostly clothing and homewares, but has some grocery lines (not fresh fruit and veg) - and now wine too. Bought a bottle of Moet at a decent price when in the US last month.

Hi Eileen, when we lived in the US, one of the interesting things for our visitors was to experience the size of one of those US mega-marts, particularly the cereal aisle. Astounding variety there. (I lived in the US for 17 years - and now I live on the Sunshine Coast.)

Some packaged sliced brown breads in the supermarket may be too sweet for your Vegemite-influenced Aussie tastes. Check out the in-store bakeries for bread which is more like Baker's delight (Aussie chain). Whole Foods and Harris Teeter are my favourite supermarkets, they should be in Anaheim.

Another thing about US supermarkets - they sell all sorts of medications over the counter, many that in Oz you would have to consult a pharmacist about. I usually stock up while we are on our annual visit to the US. And don't forget to visit Target - it's nothing like the Sunshine Plaza version over here. I love the US Target. It is mostly clothing and homewares, but has some grocery lines (not fresh fruit and veg) - and now wine too. Bought a bottle of Moet at a decent price when in the US last month.

Target ("Tar jay' ", if you want to be sophisticated faux French) is a great chain store, but not so much for food. Now, if you really want to be under/overwhelmed, go to a local Super Wal Mart! It's the store we hate but are forced to go there because we need stuff!

Whole Foods - the contracted food outlet for one of my favorite shows: TOP CHEF. (Robin is gone....at last!)

Edited by imsulin

OMG, the level of excitement is just going up and up. I just love going into other countries supermarkets and seeing what they eat. Some things horrify me and some things astound me. I think, by what all of you are saying, I am going to be flabbergasted.

That level of choice is not available in Australia. Even in the big cities like Sydney and Melbourne. Costco is opening their first stores in Australia and everyone is amazed at the size of these superstores.

I am going to have a ball in America, probably will need to go back again, Darn!! :D

Emma - I am going to google Whole Foods and Harris Teeter and see if anything comes up.

Welcome back from your holiday in the US. Do you miss the shopping when you are home on the Sunshine Coast?

Oh you will have such fun, Eileen. You'll LOVE shopping in the US.

Whilst the selection is enormous, you will have to search for butter, full cream milk and full cream icecream, if that is your preference. But it is there!

Re bread - I agree, as I've yet to find a packaged bread in the US which meets Aussie tastebuds, used to saltier bread. Fresh bread in brownpaper bags are usually a better risk and sourdour always.

The frustrating thing when you travel is that you find say a bread that you like, then the next town, you have to start all over again. :)

My girls adore those frozen packets of chocolate chip biscuits (cookies), which you cook and small biscuits (scones) (?), in a round log container, (?) which you heat up in the oven.

Edited by MMDown Under

In Canada, Tim Tam's are stocked by the President's choice stores (Loblaw's, Zehr's, Privigo. Fortino's). I have also seen them at Safeway Stores. There is not the range that is found in Australia, but some are better than none. You can also get Vegemite at most of the same stores. I can't believe people eat it - but they do. Now if anyone can tell me where to get Lemon & Paeroa, also known as L&P, other than in New Zealand, let me know!

Edited by trainfan

Costco - the prime example of "buying in bulk"! With a membership fee. It's about $25.00 here. I can buy a years' worth of toilet paper at Costco for a great price, but then either have to have it sit in the middle of my living room forever, or pay a monthly storage unit fee. You're gonna love Costco! Next to come will be Sam's Club (affiliated with Wal-Mart). Same bulk shopping with a membership fee. This is one reason why the plastic storage and freezer Zip Loc bags are so popular here! We also have here a great institution known as "The Dollar Store" Nothing costs more than $1.00. This chain buys overstocked items and sells them. Everything from kitchen utensils, canned foods, candy, greeting cards, TP, paper towels, gift-wrap paper and ribbon, soap, shampoo, deodorant, candles, pet food, and peanut butter! Plus a lot of other stuff. You haven't lived until you've shopped at a Dollar Store! Their inventory changes all the time, though. What you bought last week might not be there next week. Can you hardly wait???

Welcome back from your holiday in the US. Do you miss the shopping when you are home on the Sunshine Coast?

Oh you will have such fun, Eileen. You'll LOVE shopping in the US.

Whilst the selection is enormous, you will have to search for butter, full cream milk and full cream icecream, if that is your preference. But it is there!

Re bread - I agree, as I've yet to find a packaged bread in the US which meets Aussie tastebuds, used to saltier bread. Fresh bread in brownpaper bags are usually a better risk and sourdour always.

The frustrating thing when you travel is that you find say a bread that you like, then the next town, you have to start all over again. :)

My girls adore those frozen packets of chocolate chip biscuits (cookies), which you cook and small biscuits (scones) (?), in a round log container, (?) which you heat up in the oven.

Those are "Pillsbury Refrigerated Cookie Dough" pre-packaged cookie mix in the long plastic container. You slice it and bake it. No self-respecting chocolate chip cookie afficiando like myself would ever use this. We make them from scratch, and add chopped pecans. Mine are the best! Never flat and crusty!!

OMG' date=' the level of excitement is just going up and up. I just love going into other countries supermarkets and seeing what they eat. Some things horrify me and some things astound me. I think, by what all of you are saying, I am going to be flabbergasted.

That level of choice is not available in Australia. Even in the big cities like Sydney and Melbourne. Costco is opening their first stores in Australia and everyone is amazed at the size of these superstores.

I am going to have a ball in America, probably will need to go back again, Darn!! :D

Emma - I am going to google Whole Foods and Harris Teeter and see if anything comes up.[/quote']

I'm sitting here eating my austrailan strawberry licorice. While you're googling see if you can find Fresh Market you will like it too, but no bargains there.

Those are "Pillsbury Refrigerated Cookie Dough" pre-packaged cookie mix in the long plastic container. You slice it and bake it. No self-respecting chocolate chip cookie afficiando like myself would ever use this. We make them from scratch, and add chopped pecans. Mine are the best! Never flat and crusty!!

Hey wait a minute MINE are! :D;):D Made with chopped walnuts.

Eileen, Marion you both are just going to have to come visit me. If grocery stores get you excited ;) I'll take you to lots of them. Trust me though you need to find a real bakery to buy good bread. There is no such thing in our grocery stores. :eek:

Barb

Hey wait a minute MINE are! :D;):D Made with chopped walnuts.

Eileen, Marion you both are just going to have to come visit me. If grocery stores get you excited ;) I'll take you to lots of them. Trust me though you need to find a real bakery to buy good bread. There is no such thing in our grocery stores. :eek:

Barb

We don't have bakeries here. It was a big adjustment when we moved here from Cincinnati where we had a bakery on almost every corner.