Downside to boarding early?

samantha1904

We have been cruising for decades and still like to board as early as possible. We look at that first afternoon as akin to a sea day. If embarking out of a warm weather port we will pack swim suits, coverups, and sandals in our carry-on luggage. Once aboard we usually go to lunch and enjoy. As soon as we can get into our cabins we will go change into our swim stuff...and find a nice comfy lounger on the pool deck where we can read our Kindles and do a lot of People Watching. It is fascinating to watch folks the first few hours after they board...not to mention what they are wearing. Of course, a few adult beverages do add to the fun...and puts us in a mood that can better handle the muster drill :).

Hank

I believe you are correct - not aware of this outside of TX.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral, Florida in March, and paid the sales tax. I'd guess it's a State tax, but it could be city or county, I don't know.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral, Florida in March, and paid the sales tax. I'd guess it's a State tax, but it could be city or county, I don't know.

Guess I need to check my bills more closely as I don't recall that in our recent Bayonne, NJ, Port Everglades or Miami departures, FL departures. (Our last Port Canaveral departure was a couple of years back). Maybe it is a County thing.

Some people who board early report a degree of disorientation when confronted with vast numbers of pool chairs not yet claimed by towels.

:P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the USA, the Sales Tax is simply based on State Law. So purchases made in a Florida port are taxed by the State of Florida...but we do not recall ever having been taxed in NY Harbor. It is the same in Europe where taxes have become a mess for cruise ships....especially if they leave out of Barcelona.

Hank

Hank, at least in Nevada, the counties can also impose a sales tax, which is all rolled together with the State's rate for collection purposes. That's why Clark County (Las Vegas) charges a higher % tax rate than the small, rural counties, which might have a different rate amongst themselves, as well. I'd be curious how similar or unique Nevada is to other states.

Hank, at least in Nevada, the counties can also impose a sales tax, which is all rolled together with the State's rate for collection purposes. That's why Clark County (Las Vegas) charges a higher % tax rate than the small, rural counties, which might have a different rate amongst themselves, as well. I'd be curious how similar or unique Nevada is to other states.

Sales tax rates vary by county in California. California and Nevada appear to be similar when it comes to sales tax. In the case of Nevada, I can kind of understand because Clark (and I suppose Washoe) carry the majority of the population density compared to other counties.

As most of the cruising I do is outside the US, I would say a downside is cutting short the available time for sightseeing in a particular city.

But since that's probably not a big factor for you, then I'd say the only other downside is that it tends to be a lot more crowded with people if you just have to be one of the first onboard. Whereas, if you show up later (maybe 3 hours before sailaway), you'll likely waltz right onboard without any significant wait.

That's good news for us. We expect to board the NA at 1pm.

Sales tax rates vary by county in California. California and Nevada appear to be similar when it comes to sales tax. In the case of Nevada, I can kind of understand because Clark (and I suppose Washoe) carry the majority of the population density compared to other counties.

Colorado is a mess. Besides the state sales tax, each county, and each city has their own sales tax. Then you add special districts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Colorado is a mess. Besides the state sales tax, each county, and each city has their own sales tax. Then you add special districts.

The dreaded special district taxes. They seem to come out of the woodwork. :(

The dreaded special district taxes. They seem to come out of the woodwork. :(
It's actually even weirder sometimes. At the Walt Disney World resort in Florida, Disney owns a few dozen hotels. The hotel tax you pay actually varies depending on which of their hotels you choose. (Practically all their hotels are in Orange County, but one is in Osceola County, which typically has had a different tax rate than Orange County.)

You can't get to your room until aroud 1pm, so must wait somewhere on ship.

We like to get there early and go directly to find a nice window seat in the food area.

Also have waited until aroud 1pm so get on the ship without any lines and can go directly to our room

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Most of the time we board early and many times our room is ready when we board or shortly after. Sometimes we board, drop carry ons in the room or take them with us if the room isn't ready and then go back off the ship to explore the area around the ship. That way the paperwork is done and we just have to walk back onboard before we sail like being at any port.

A couple of times we have been among the last to board and that line is always short and we walk right through with no waiting anywhere. When we boarded at Southampton we sat at the bar in the waiting area (cheaper drinks than the ship) and talked with the workers and other passengers until we were the only ones left and the workers told us it was time for us board. Best boarding experience ever!

Bottom line - OP: when you board really doesn't make much difference on your cruise experience. Do what will make you happy.

Thanks all. Were on the Epic out of Port Canaveral. I don't really plan on doing anything that morning so I would rather risk waiting a little in line than being bored in my hotel room. Can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe you are correct - not aware of this outside of TX.

You get taxed in NYC. OP you are not choosing a boarding time, but a check-in time. If you check in at let's say 9:30, you will still have to wait until around 11:30 to board.

I'm going on my 1st cruise in December!! I'm so excited and eager to get vacay started so I'm thinking about boarding as early as possible. Ncl's website lets you select your boarding time when you check-in online. Is there any downside to getting on the ship asap? I realize my room won't be ready but I'll bring a carry on with essentials.

Yes. You will have too much time to drink many drinks and eat much more food. Sad but true!

Seriously.....we board just as early as we possibly can. I love to explore the ship and take photos without crowds of people in all the public spaces. No downside, as far as I can see! Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're always excited about starting our cruise, we find it hard to sit around hotel waiting to head to the ship.

Our routine is to have a light breakfast at hotel, get to ship around 10:30, usually wait in outside line about 15 - 30 minutes, and wait inside terminal seating area for about a half hour to an hour waiting to board. Waiting at the cruiseport may be a negative to some people, but we love seeing how excited and happy everyone seems now that embarkation day has arrived.