Dress codes

eliana

Why do you think you are not part of the market caters to? We've found a wide variety of dining options on SS that allow us to dress however we like.

I often see comments accusing those who want to dine "dressed up" as dictating to others what they must wear, but I do often wonder if it's the reverse scenario that's more accurate.

Always a touchy subject but as has been said SS offer various choices which seem to satisfy the majority.

I personally like to dress up every night in various forms of course but always with a touch of bling and that is my choice but remember quite clearly wearing palazzo pants with a semi sparkly top on a casual evening in the restaurant when l was crtitcised by someone behind me stating very loudly that ' THIS' is supposed to be a 'CASUAL' night......well I'm sorry but Hey Ho....I'll not dress down to satisfy those who don't wish to and l won't be bullied or be made to feel guilty for doing so either.

I'm quite a slob at home but don't half scrub up well when on board ship....😉

Not necessarily... and they are both considered formal, along with dressy pants and blingy or otherwise dressy top. Also, women wear accessories to further enhance their attire. Somehow, women tend to complain less than men regarding formalwear in these boards...

Disagree. A cocktail dress is always less formal than a long gown. Just as a tuxedo is less formal than what tie and tails.

Disagree. A cocktail dress is always less formal than a long gown. Just as a tuxedo is less formal than what tie and tails.

Well it depends on length actually...whilst we always seem to think of formal as a long gown...ballerina length is just as acceptable with cocktail not entirely inappropriate providing it's just not the plain LBD....which could be classed as either or neither....I've never seen white tie and tails in all my years of cruising but l have seen white tuxes worn on transatlantic and other such voyages when in fact they should only be appropriate in the tropics.

😊

I often see comments accusing those who want to dine "dressed up" as dictating to others what they must wear, but I do often wonder if it's the reverse scenario that's more accurate.
I don't know Les. I've never understood passengers who do not like SS due to the formality of dress codes. As much as we might like dressing up, we've never had a problem finding a venue to dine in on any night we'd like to be "casual". Of course, my opinion is only based on the traditional ships prior to the Muse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes......dress code threads everywhere:eek:.......all the years I have been sailing on Celebrity there are always arguments

on that forum too......:(.....although I never participate in them anymore.

I don't own any long gowns and plan on wearing very dressy slacks with a dressy top on formal night. ( jewelry

and make up too;))

On casual evenings I have a couple of skirts and other slacks *with tops LOL.......I always try to look nice for evenings

on a cruise.......hopefully I won't run into the clothes police:confused:

Well it depends on length actually...whilst we always seem to think of formal as a long gown...ballerina length is just as acceptable with cocktail not entirely inappropriate providing it's just not the plain LBD....which could be classed as either or neither....I've never seen white tie and tails in all my years of cruising but l have seen white tuxes worn on transatlantic and other such voyages when in fact they should only be appropriate in the tropics.

😊

Excellent. Someone else still finds the white dinner jacket out of place outside the tropics.

White tie in UK is traditionally reserved for the very most formal occasions such as a Royal dinner. I'm not sure formal on SS is quite that formal!

😊

If you see someone in tails on Silversea, it is probably a butler.

• 1 month later...
Yikes......dress code threads everywhere:eek:.......all the years I have been sailing on Celebrity there are always arguments

on that forum too......:(.....although I never participate in them anymore.

I don't own any long gowns and plan on wearing very dressy slacks with a dressy top on formal night. ( jewelry

and make up too;))

On casual evenings I have a couple of skirts and other slacks *with tops LOL.......I always try to look nice for evenings

on a cruise.......hopefully I won't run into the clothes police:confused:

Have you gone on your cruise? and if so, did you run into any awkward clothing issues? I don't own a gown, nor do I intend to buy one. I have a couple of dresses that are used for weddings and funerals. I dress well when I have to, but I don't like bringing tons of luggage and want to keep it to simple basics. Is that an issue based on your experience?

I'm currently on Silver Whisper. On the first leg of our multi-legged cruise we have had two nights listed as "formal/ informal optional". My guesstimate is that 20% of men have been in tuxedos or lounge suites. The rest have been in jackets or even no jackets. Women have been in dresses I'd expect to see in any upmarket restaurant. In a few cases they have dressed like they were heading for a big night at Applebees! :0 My overall impression is that it has all worked well. No one should be the least concerned about dress codes on Silversea.

Have you gone on your cruise? and if so, did you run into any awkward clothing issues? I don't own a gown, nor do I intend to buy one. I have a couple of dresses that are used for weddings and funerals. I dress well when I have to, but I don't like bringing tons of luggage and want to keep it to simple basics. Is that an issue based on your experience?

Hi, my review is somewhere on this page:) I just returned home yesterday and had a FANTASTIC time:)

No dress code issues whatsoever!.........during the day it was very hot outside. I wore shorts on all my excursions

(t's or tops) too;).......walking shoes and yes, socks.

Evenings........I wore slacks and nice tops......after touring all day or even part of the day, I would always take a shower

and change for dinner. There was only formal night and I wore a dressy pair of black slacks that had gold flecks running

through the material, along with a dressy black top that had gold embroidery across the neckline. I felt totally appropriate.

The other nights I wore different slacks and tops with a skirt one evening. I always felt appropriate:)....and packed

one checked bag, 1 carry on and a tote bag.......I brought a few items I never even wore.

Hope this helps:)

I'm currently on Silver Whisper. On the first leg of our multi-legged cruise we have had two nights listed as "formal/ informal optional". My guesstimate is that 20% of men have been in tuxedos or lounge suites. The rest have been in jackets or even no jackets. Women have been in dresses I'd expect to see in any upmarket restaurant. In a few cases they have dressed like they were heading for a big night at Applebees! :0 My overall impression is that it has all worked well. No one should be the least concerned about dress codes on Silversea.

Thank you so much for the reply and that helps a ton. I just had this image of my mothers country clubbers...and that is not what I am comfortable in. In fact the richest people I know drive old pickup trucks, wear Wrangler jeans and have their Gulf Stream jet on stand by....

Thank you so much for the reply and that helps a ton. I just had this image of my mothers country clubbers...and that is not what I am comfortable in. In fact the richest people I know drive old pickup trucks, wear Wrangler jeans and have their Gulf Stream jet on stand by....

I'm sorry but what does being rich have to do with anything? My first SS cruise was while I was still in my 30's and definitely was not wealthy then. However I enjoyed the formality of the 7 days and appreciated the fact that if you did not have on a coat and tie, you did not enter the main dining room. The maitre d was not checking your bank book, he was checking your attire. You know, a vacation/cruise is suppose to be an experience away from the daily routine. Why not step outside the box for 14 days and try something different - dress up; you might enjoy it. (& pls don't tell me you have no space for a coat & tie or nice dress in your bag). A 14 day cruise is somewhere around 0.05% of your life - go with it. But if you really don't want to dress up, great, good for you. But I wish people would stop complaining about those of us who actually like a bit of formality in our lives. You'll have your place(s) on the ship, so please leave us our place. Go, enjoy.

I'm sorry but what does being rich have to do with anything? My first SS cruise was while I was still in my 30's and definitely was not wealthy then. However I enjoyed the formality of the 7 days and appreciated the fact that if you did not have on a coat and tie, you did not enter the main dining room. The maitre d was not checking your bank book, he was checking your attire. You know, a vacation/cruise is suppose to be an experience away from the daily routine. Why not step outside the box for 14 days and try something different - dress up; you might enjoy it. (& pls don't tell me you have no space for a coat & tie or nice dress in your bag). A 14 day cruise is somewhere around 0.05% of your life - go with it. But if you really don't want to dress up, great, good for you. But I wish people would stop complaining about those of us who actually like a bit of formality in our lives. You'll have your place(s) on the ship, so please leave us our place. Go, enjoy.

Oh my...I did not mean to offend anyone. I just meant that country club lifestyle with the snobbery was my life as a child, and I generally do not like that type of atmosphere. I do dress up everyday to go to work, and sometimes it is nice to be comfortable and be able to dress smart casual and not having to slug a ton of luggage. There was no pointing fingers..if anything I meant that I did not want to offend anyone and dress appropriately and perhaps I booked the cruise on the itinerary and not the dress code of the ship. I had no idea that there was even an issue. I am not that person who wears their sleepy pants onto an airplane...and complete respect for dress codes. I am not complaining in the least, was just looking for information.

Oh my...I did not mean to offend anyone. I just meant that country club lifestyle with the snobbery was my life as a child, and I generally do not like that type of atmosphere. I do dress up everyday to go to work, and sometimes it is nice to be comfortable and be able to dress smart casual and not having to slug a ton of luggage. There was no pointing fingers..if anything I meant that I did not want to offend anyone and dress appropriately and perhaps I booked the cruise on the itinerary and not the dress code of the ship. I had no idea that there was even an issue. I am not that person who wears their sleepy pants onto an airplane...and complete respect for dress codes. I am not complaining in the least, was just looking for information.

Sheltiegirl - sorry, the only part "directed" at you was the first part. The remainder of my eclipse & Starbucks induced rant was focused towards those who tend to troll posts regarding SS dress codes and fire complaint after complaint regarding policies. I was not clear in separating the two comments so pls accept my apology for what appears as an attack on you for others positions. (They know who they are.)

Holy crap! Help me out here, Mike. What in the hell is a "lounge suite?" I think maybe I want one! ;)

A lounge suit is what might also be called a business suit, matching jacket and trousers in grey or navy - never brown in Town-, and sometimes but not often these days, a waistcoat.

For those who want to know what exactly to wear on formal evenings, the attached info from a City of London livery company , might be of interest/ horror. Bear in mind that Black Tie is rather infra dig compared with White Tie when of course, ladies , tiaras may be worn.

"We sometimes say “Dinner JacketPermissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by yourpet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, orbeamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather thanbe deprived of your conversation.

Black Tie: Gentlemen

 Ablack wool (barathea) or ultrafine herringbone dinner jacket, single-breastedor double-breasted with no vents, silk peaked lapels (or a shawl collar) andcovered buttons. White dinner jackets were traditionally worn in hot climatesbut not usually in Britain, even in the summer. However, if the caterers needsomeone to serve ice cream, we’ll give you a call.

Trousers are black with a natural taper, and a single row of braid down eachoutside leg.

 Awhite evening shirt, with a Marcella collar, bib and double cuffs, with aturn-down collar (not a wing-collar), worn with cufflinks and studs. A plainsilk shirt with buttons may be worn but any kind of ruffles or frills should beavoided. Alternatively, a fly-fronted shirt, where the buttons are concealed,is acceptable. Adults should avoid novelty shirts and ties.

Studs may be black or decorative.

 Ablack hand-tied bow tie (avoid ones which are pre-tied). The size of the bowtie should be proportionate to the size of the wearer.

Black highly polished or patent lace-up shoes and black silk socks.

Cummerbunds are not considered essential but may be worn. A matching tie andcummerbund in a non-conventional shade (pastels rather than burgundy and black)should be treated with caution.

Dark coloured waistcoats may be worn although they are not seen very often.They would always be considered a smart option, particularly with a watchchain. A waistcoat and cummerbund are never worn together.

 Awhite handkerchief in the left breast pocket is a classic detail.

Black Tie: Ladies

 Ladies should wear an eveningdress or skirt; long, or at least not very short, is usually best. Avoidwearing voluminous dresses for a dinner because they’re not practical. Howeververy tight ‘red-carpet’ dresses or those with a dramatic split, while stunningwhen making an entrance, can be uncomfortable or inappropriate at a formalevent that involves both a reception and a sit-down dinner.

 If not wearing a long dress,then a cocktail dress – a fitted dress to very slightly below the knee and witha little décolletage – is an option. The fabric should be suited to eveningsuch as silk, crepe or chiffon.

 Evening trousers are anoption, but it is better to go for a palazzo cut, rather than tight-fitting.Flowing, ethnic-inspired tunic tops with trousers may be worn if the event isat the less formal end of the spectrum.

 Although the dress code is‘black tie’, dresses need not be black. Equally, wearing black does not ensurethe right level of formality.

 Tights should be worn, black or sheer.

 Fine or costume jewellery isappropriate, but not tiaras.

 An elegant evening bag shouldbe used.

 Ideally, an evening coat should be worn, as for white tie."

And this should all go in to hand baggage quite easily!

Rp

Holy crap! Help me out here, Mike. What in the hell is a "lounge suite?" I think maybe I want one! ;)

Apols - I see its the definition of lounge "suite" you want, well whatever doesn't clash with the curtains. But as we all know, no one has a lounge; a drawing room or sitting room, yes, but never a lounge...

Rp

A lounge suit is what might also be called a business suit, matching jacket and trousers in grey or navy - never brown in Town-, and sometimes but not often these days, a waistcoat.

For those who want to know what exactly to wear on formal evenings, the attached info from a City of London livery company , might be of interest/ horror. Bear in mind that Black Tie is rather infra dig compared with White Tie when of course, ladies , tiaras may be worn.

"We sometimes say “Dinner JacketPermissible”. By this, we mean that if your White Tie has been eaten by yourpet lion, destroyed by the dry cleaner, borrowed by an errant offspring, orbeamed up by Scottie, we’d prefer that you turned up in Black Tie rather thanbe deprived of your conversation.

Black Tie: Gentlemen

 Ablack wool (barathea) or ultrafine herringbone dinner jacket, single-breastedor double-breasted with no vents, silk peaked lapels (or a shawl collar) andcovered buttons. White dinner jackets were traditionally worn in hot climatesbut not usually in Britain, even in the summer. However, if the caterers needsomeone to serve ice cream, we’ll give you a call.

Trousers are black with a natural taper, and a single row of braid down eachoutside leg.

 Awhite evening shirt, with a Marcella collar, bib and double cuffs, with aturn-down collar (not a wing-collar), worn with cufflinks and studs. A plainsilk shirt with buttons may be worn but any kind of ruffles or frills should beavoided. Alternatively, a fly-fronted shirt, where the buttons are concealed,is acceptable. Adults should avoid novelty shirts and ties.

Studs may be black or decorative.

 Ablack hand-tied bow tie (avoid ones which are pre-tied). The size of the bowtie should be proportionate to the size of the wearer.

Black highly polished or patent lace-up shoes and black silk socks.

Cummerbunds are not considered essential but may be worn. A matching tie andcummerbund in a non-conventional shade (pastels rather than burgundy and black)should be treated with caution.

Dark coloured waistcoats may be worn although they are not seen very often.They would always be considered a smart option, particularly with a watchchain. A waistcoat and cummerbund are never worn together.

 Awhite handkerchief in the left breast pocket is a classic detail.

Black Tie: Ladies

 Ladies should wear an eveningdress or skirt; long, or at least not very short, is usually best. Avoidwearing voluminous dresses for a dinner because they’re not practical. Howeververy tight ‘red-carpet’ dresses or those with a dramatic split, while stunningwhen making an entrance, can be uncomfortable or inappropriate at a formalevent that involves both a reception and a sit-down dinner.

 If not wearing a long dress,then a cocktail dress – a fitted dress to very slightly below the knee and witha little décolletage – is an option. The fabric should be suited to eveningsuch as silk, crepe or chiffon.

 Evening trousers are anoption, but it is better to go for a palazzo cut, rather than tight-fitting.Flowing, ethnic-inspired tunic tops with trousers may be worn if the event isat the less formal end of the spectrum.

 Although the dress code is‘black tie’, dresses need not be black. Equally, wearing black does not ensurethe right level of formality.

 Tights should be worn, black or sheer.

 Fine or costume jewellery isappropriate, but not tiaras.

 An elegant evening bag shouldbe used.

 Ideally, an evening coat should be worn, as for white tie."

And this should all go in to hand baggage quite easily!

Rp

1950 called and wants its dress code list back.